HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Persson scores with les than 5 minutes to go. 5-4 Springfield. Persson wrister from the blueline, (McDonald screening). Hill and Landry the assists.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:21 PM
InformTheMasses

Bridgeport to the powerplay as Defazio hauled down. 4 minutes to go in the game Down by 1.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday

Erie 1, Barrie 0-Pelech, even.

More to come.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:28 PM
InformTheMasses

Game Over Bridgeport Losses 5-4. Too bad, they played well, a couple of defenceman killed them tonight.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Actually Donovan and Wishart have been playing really well together. Defensively they have been taking care of business and leading the offense with good clears/outlets. I wrote Wishart off a while back, but he has been playing his best hockey lately.
I went to the Albany-Sound Tigers game a couple of weeks ago (Bridgeport won, 4-3, two goals each for Donovan and Cizikis), and Wishart really stood out among the defensemen. Except for one risky play in the 3rd, he looked really steady, confident with the puck in the defensive zone, unrattled by pressure. To me, he looked the most NHL-ready of the defensemen (even if he is not the puck-rusher type like Ness or Donovan).

Old
01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
will5059

I don't want to spread rumors but the word going around the XL Center up in Hartford is that the Rangers are leaving and taking their AHL club to Bridgeport. Anybody else heard this? If this is true , and I hope it's not, has anyone heard where the Isles would put the Tigers? It doesn't add up to me personally with the improvements the Isles have made to Webster bank arena is the past year and a half. I've been thinking about this the past couple days and the only way it makes sense to me is that now that the Isles are moving to an arena that they don't manage maybe they are getting out of the arena management business. Another scenario I came up with is could wang be looking to sell the team to Prokeroff (sp?) or Ratner and he's looking to unload assets? I repeat I don't want to spread rumors but this is what I've heard.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5059 View Post
I don't want to spread rumors but the word going around the XL Center up in Hartford is that the Rangers are leaving and taking their AHL club to Bridgeport. Anybody else heard this? If this is true , and I hope it's not, has anyone heard where the Isles would put the Tigers? It doesn't add up to me personally with the improvements the Isles have made to Webster bank arena is the past year and a half. I've been thinking about this the past couple days and the only way it makes sense to me is that now that the Isles are moving to an arena that they don't manage maybe they are getting out of the arena management business. Another scenario I came up with is could wang be looking to sell the team to Prokeroff (sp?) or Ratner and he's looking to unload assets? I repeat I don't want to spread rumors but this is what I've heard.

The Sound Tigers beatwiter Mike Fornabaio has a podcast from 01/04/13, up on the pointblank site.He's not reporting any Sound Tigers are moving rumors either in his podcast or in his Conn Post column.

Nothing from Pointblank, nothing from Botta.

The Sound Tigers lease runs until 2012. Even if Wang sold the Sound Tigers, the new owner would be locked into that lease and no way would the AHL allow two teams, to both play in Bridgeport.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 01-05-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 05:56 PM
will5059

The sound tigers lease runs until 2020 (they signed a 20 yr lease to start in 2001) , but all the lease states is that they can't move unless they get another team to move to Bridgeport and honor the remaining years. Meaning they can't leave the arena with no team.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
The sound tigers lease runs until 2020 (they signed a 20 yr lease to start in 2001) , but all the lease states is that they can't move unless they get another team to move to Bridgeport and honor the remaining years. Meaning they can't leave the arena with no team.
Ok.

But, you don't think it's funny that fans in the stands at a game have info but, none of Fornabaio, Botta, Strang, Staples or Schultz over at pointblank, have anything to report? Not even speculation?

According to message board rumors several months ago, the Hartford Whale were supposedly bound for Barclays Center.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:10 PM
will5059

Lets be clear , I do NOT want the rangers in bridgeport . I don't think it will happen. I've emailed the outlets that cover the sound tigers and they've said they've heard the same rumors but nothing close to being a done deal. I would be really pissed if this happens .according to the guys in the whaler booster club (not saying we should believe them) these rumors were reiterated by Howard Baldwin (not saying you should believe him either) but it is being said. I argued with the whaler booster club guys last week but now after talking to some people I'm not as confident as I was.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Hipster Doofus

Would allow the Isles to move the AHL team to Nassau. Perhaps Ratner suggests downsizing the Colli (taking out seats addibg concourse space?) allowing the Isles to keep their LI roots. I think a minor league team would be more family friendly and better for that market anyway.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
InformTheMasses

Blair Riley scores with under a minute to go in the 1st. Bport Trails Portland 2-1 at the 1st Intermission.

Nilsson in net tonight

Old
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Would allow the Isles to move the AHL team to Nassau. Perhaps Ratner suggests downsizing the Colli (taking out seats addibg concourse space?) allowing the Isles to keep their LI roots. I think a minor league team would be more family friendly and better for that market anyway.
I can understand the isles wanting to wiggle out of their lease early, but should the isles with their attendance problems, want the Sound Tigers drawing fans to the NVMC for ST games, instead of Brooklyn for NYI games?

Old
01-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Blair Riley scores with under a minute to go in the 1st. Bport Trails Portland 2-1 at the 1st Intermission.

Nilsson in net tonight
Thanks again for the updates. Any comments on the hit on Nino? I have noticed watching him sometimes he has a tendency to go east/west a bit much and dangle in the neutral zone with his head down. Did he get lit up with a clean open ice hit?

Old
01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
InformTheMasses

No problem. I enjoy watching the games, and updating for those without access.

The Nino hit was a legal hit. Nino was accelerating out of the zone looking behind him for the breakout pass (that was coming to him). Summers timed it absolutely perfect, just as the puck was to hit Nino's stick, Summers put his shoulder right into Ninos chest. he got absolutely rocked. Bounced up though, didn't seem to hurt him.

Summers hit on Landry was higher and just as hard, probably made contact with Landrys head too. No harm, and apparently no foul, although that one looked far less legal.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
InformTheMasses

Sound Tigers lost a tough one tonight 2-1. Entertaining game. Portland very physical, refs let a lot go tonight. Both Goalies (Nilsson and Visentin) were awesome.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I can understand the isles wanting to wiggle out of their lease early, but should the isles with their attendance problems, want the Sound Tigers drawing fans to the NVMC for ST games, instead of Brooklyn for NYI games?
Figure the Isles averaged 13,191 last season.
Cut the prices (BST range from 35-50 a seat) and drop a league, and you're probably looking at around 7-9k a game (BST currently 5,700) I don't think that's a significant number to affect Brooklyn, since Nassau/Suffolk attendance will already drop and you're adding new fans from Brooklyn, NYC, Queens.

Isles move to Brooklyn.
Ratner takes over Coliseum.
Sound Tigers move to Coliseum.
Wang's Harbor Yard Sports & Entertainment sells rights to the Webster Bank Arena to his buddy Charles Dolan's MSG.
Whale moves to Bridgeport.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
InformTheMasses

and then NHL Hockey returns to Hartford?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
and then NHL Hockey returns to Hartford?
Slow down a moment...

Until they get a new building (16k with only 40 suites isn't cutting it) it's unlikely Hartford gets a look.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
will5059

Here's the problem with moving the sound tigers to Nassau , the asbestos issue has been made public and correct me if I'm wrong but the future plans for the site do not include a colisieum . Meaning I'm under the assumption that's its getting torn down. If the isles can't make money there than the tigers probably won't either . The colisieum is in the same boat as the hartford civic center , too big to be an ahl arena and too outdated to be an nhl venue. That's why I think the rumors are bogus . As for the civic center Betman has stated that hartford needs a NEW building in order to be in the discussion for the NHL . Not a refurbished arena . His words, not mine. Now the HCC management contact is up for bids and as of now none of the bidders have plans for major renovations or a new building on the current site. Witch pains me to say because I feel hartford would work if the league comes back from the lockout with revenue sharing making small markets more competitive . As of now hartford in the NHL is a pipe dream . As I understand the rumor calls for hartford to not have a team as of next year. Apparently Bob Crawford (former whaler) looked into buying an ECHL team but determined it would not be profitable. (The rent and overhead up there is through the roof for some reason) Still doesn't make sense to me why the isles would turn over a favorable deal to the rangers. ST draw relatively well considering the proliferation of pro hockey in the area. We are talking about the team that us still paying Yashin though so dumb moves are nothing new. Here's to hoping its ********. I was hoping someone would be able to say that they've heard it's defiantly not happening .

Last edited by will5059: 01-05-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
From tonight

Old
01-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Sound Tigers charge 2x the price of Portland Pirates and draw 2x attendance.... Bridgeport being given to the Rangers shouldnt be done cheaply.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:57 AM
NYI78

Quote:
since the islanders own the webster bank arena i think this is safe to say this is 1000 percent false..the whale is moving though

Old
01-07-2013, 04:00 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Figure the Isles averaged 13,191 last season.
Cut the prices (BST range from 35-50 a seat) and drop a league, and you're probably looking at around 7-9k a game (BST currently 5,700) I don't think that's a significant number to affect Brooklyn, since Nassau/Suffolk attendance will already drop and you're adding new fans from Brooklyn, NYC, Queens.

Isles move to Brooklyn.
Ratner takes over Coliseum.
Sound Tigers move to Coliseum.
Wang's Harbor Yard Sports & Entertainment sells rights to the Webster Bank Arena to his buddy Charles Dolan's MSG.
Whale moves to Bridgeport.
if the whale moves to bridgeport i will NEVER set foot in that arena again and i think its safe to say a large number of our season ticket holders would do the same

Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
steveat

When is kabby due back? Is he out for the season?

Closed Thread