HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLVII: Could the End be in Sight???

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
CBA length is done.
I also dont see anymore mention of pensions so im gonna guess thats done.

sooo, cap limit and the minor difference in contracts? sounds like this will get done tonight or at the latest tomorrow.
No doubt. If the cap is only $2 million apart, teams could make that up with two extra games. Get it done!!

Old
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Very very cautiously optimistic

Old
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
They are so close now that I think they can pretty much go with either players or owners views on the remaining issues and it'll be fine.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
wow, another person who has no clue that the cap isn't set in stone. If the $65 or $63MM or whatever it becomes, turns out to actually be 54% of revenues, than each player will lose 4% of their annual salary through their escrow payments. Why is this so difficult for some of you to grasp?

Even in the previous CBA the cap was an ESTIMATE BASED on the previous season's revenues. The money the players actually received each season was based on THAT season's ACTUAL revenues.
That's how it's always worked. The fixed numbers are always set artificially low. If the number ends up too high because the PA needs a $65M number and players get escrowed, whose fault is that?

Not to mention, what do you think "make whole" does? That it's just a gift? It's insurance money.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Bill Daly on mediator: "Obviously Scot has been helpful to the process and in helping construct a framework where progress can be made (1/2)

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Daly cont: "Parties are still working hard. That has to be a positive." (2/2)

https://twitter.com/icemancometh

Old
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
wow, another person who has no clue that the cap isn't set in stone. If the $65 or $63MM or whatever it becomes, turns out to actually be 54% of revenues, than each player will lose 4% of their annual salary through their escrow payments. Why is this so difficult for some of you to grasp?

Even in the previous CBA the cap was an ESTIMATE BASED on the previous season's revenues. The money the players actually received each season was based on THAT season's ACTUAL revenues.

Yes, but with make whole payments, the share is going to be skewed in players' favor the first couple years (there's no way to go down to 50-50 and still pay out the remainder of active contracts w/o some form of a make whole mechanism pushing the actual amount paid out to the players over 50%)... which means that the split is going to be like 54-46, 52-48, 51-49, 50-50, 50-50, 50-50, etc. (numbers are just guesses)

Old
01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Need some respect for you little man.

I highly doubt you can remember even one of my posts on here. I don't post ridiculous stupid ****, when I do it's a clearly phrased joke. I would cheer for my team and possibly Chimera at THAT point but I won't like him as a player or a person.

Heck, he could score 10 goals in the playoffs and i'd still want the clown out of town.
need some respect for you? what does that even mean?

Don't recall any of your posts, saw you whine about being done with this league and responded. Frankly I don't care what you have said in the past. I am laughing at how ridiculous you (actually many on here) are being.

I am laughing that so many people have no clue how the cap and escrow and hrr actually works when all is said and done. I am laughing at how everything is the greedy player's fault and fehr's fault on this site. As if these owners actually care about you OR about the game.

Anyways, I am off to go watch the packers-vikings game with a friend who is a vikings fan. hopefully I come home to find out this is over and all of you who "Are done with this league", and "done with these greedy players". will be singing completely different tunes.

Old
Crows*

@darenmillard: Source tells me that from a series of meetings & a string of bargaining sessions today there has been movement but it's been slow progress.

https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...21019899269120

Old
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Bill Daly on mediator: "Obviously Scot has been helpful to the process and in helping construct a framework where progress can be made (1/2)

Daly cont: "Parties are still working hard. That has to be a positive." (2/2)
https://twitter.com/icemancometh

Ducks beat writer, retweated by Russo.

EDIT: Marc's been faster than me.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:46 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
Yes, but with make whole payments, the share is going to be skewed in players' favor the first couple years (there's no way to go down to 50-50 and still pay out the remainder of active contracts w/o some form of a make whole mechanism pushing the actual amount paid out to the players over 50%)... which means that the split is going to be like 54-46, 52-48, 51-49, 50-50, 50-50, 50-50, etc. (numbers are just guesses)
They wanted the players to cut to 50-50, had to give them something. The $300MM comes out to $1MM per team per year over the course of the deal. Not a lot of money.

Old
PensFanSince1989

Only thing I worry about is if Fehr keeps insisting/adding poison pills to his offers. Has it being confirmed that they are no longer asking for an escrow cap? If no escrow cap, the only reason I can see the NHL for not giving the players the higher 2nd year cap is they feel they need it as a bargaining chip. No way in hell is this thing derailed based on it (assuming now escrow cap)

Old
CP31

Is there anyone that thinks there won't be a season?

Old
guyincognito

Quote:

Don't recall any of your posts, saw you whine about being done with this league and responded. Frankly I don't care what you have said in the past. I am laughing at how ridiculous you (actually many on here) are being.

I am laughing that so many people have no clue how the cap and escrow and hrr actually works when all is said and done. I am laughing at how everything is the greedy player's fault and fehr's fault on this site. As if these owners actually care about you OR about the game.
You don't know how any of this stuff mechanically works and you just sit here insulting people. Learn what the make whole does. It's insurance money. Why do you think they call it "make whole"? Yeah, they could end up over their number in year 2, but the money kicked in will cover it. They will never operate at 50/50 until the make whole money is cleared, even if the number is set to 50% revenue.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:

You do realize these boards are probably the most educated and one of the largest boards for hockey (if not the largest, don't know many others as popular) right?

The fact is you feel like you are superior to everyone else on here, which is tilting your ego. Clearly my frustrations are visible in every other person here as well, who feel the players and owners are screwing EVERYONE over.

To say I don't want to watch the game or root for them is understandable. If you had a girlfriend that cheated on you, would you even want to see her again nevertheless talk with her? Obviously not.

You should have some respect for a person who has been and actively posted in lockout threads here for weeks.

Old
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
There will be a season. Just waiting to find out if it's going to be 48, 50, or 52 games

Old
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
@darenmillard: Source tells me that from a series of meetings & a string of bargaining sessions today there has been movement but it's been slow progress.

https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...21019899269120
Ugh... slow... I guess it's better than nothing.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
I think there will be a season, a lot of people just stay negative because of what they are hearing from the NHL and NHLPA, both sides will be more negative than they really are because they don't want anyone getting too excited before anything happens.

Old
rdawg1234

Quote:
I think it's impossible to think they'll cancel the season at this point. But that's just my opinion.
They've made so much progress, the differences are extremely minor and insignificant on the grand scale of things.

Old
Lundsanity30

ok.. so lets see if all this is true?

Apparently the following have been settled..
HRR
Pensions (someone tweeted this forgot who)
CBA length (10 years with opt out after 8).
term limits? thought I read somewhere the players agreed to 6 and 7 (for own) years.

So if you take all that into consideration and if true, whats left besides cap for 13-14 and variance?

Old
StittsvilleJames

Quote:

Anyways, I am off to go watch the packers-vikings game with a friend who is a vikings fan. hopefully I come home to find out this is over and all of you who "Are done with this league", and "done with these greedy players". will be singing completely different tunes.
The owners do care about the game. Nobody buys an NHL team to make money. If you're worth billions, you buy more expensive toys. These guys care about their teams, just as much as my 2 year old cares about her dollhouse or I care about my boat.

Old
guyincognito

Quote:
They wanted the players to cut to 50-50, had to give them something. The $300MM comes out to $1MM per team per year over the course of the deal. Not a lot of money.
It's only paid out over a couple of years of the CBA, the majority of it in the first two years, so your breakdown is wrong. And it's only to coverage overages, and there are a number of teams that will not operate at an overage. The pool of contracts that make "make whole" a necessity is very small.

Most of that money is going to cover 15-20 guys who have contracts that skew the cap numbers.

Old
irishock
In the sunset

vCash: 571
Quote:
Me. I was here for 2005 as well.

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Try the Kings board, you'll find a few.

I am not among them.

Old
Lundsanity30

If they lose a season over the 2nd year cap and variance (I think thats all thats left?), the league should just fold entirely.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

At this point, I would pretty shocked if there wasn't a season.

No trying to be overly optimistic here, but there is no way these issues can kill the process now.

Closed Thread