HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout VII: I've walked for miles, my feet are hurting

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2013, 06:24 PM
  #351
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,830
vCash: 500
Oh okay thanks. Just didn't want to go through a bunch of pages in here and 100 insiders lol. I never know who the best sources are (except Dreger)

mapes is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  #352
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
It's simple really. Putting teams in nontraditional markets will grow the league. A salary cap guarantees that with proper management those franchises can at least be successful hockey teams regardless of market size. Having a successful league spread throughout North America means that the NHL can reach as many fans as possible and in return makes the sport more appealing to the masses.
We agree to disagree.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  #353
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
We agree to disagree.
Fair enough.

du5566* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  #354
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,388
vCash: 500
The media guys seem to think they are close...and seem upbeat....

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
  #355
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Imminent is a really strong word. Let's go with "they're talking right now" and leave it at that.
And they 'seem to be' a lot closer on all the major issues. NHL Year 2 cap supposedly went from $60-63, but the players are still firm at $65. Owners still want 6/7 for contract length, players want a flat 7. CBA length has supposedly been agreed to with an eight-year optout on a ten-year deal. Pension seems to be done too.

Unless something else comes out of nowhere to derail the train they probably get this done at latest Monday.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
  #356
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 25,580
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Wirtz claiming Hawks losing money (from April 2012):

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...emplate=mobile
He's losing money in the sense that they're not counting concessions and game day parking as part of Blackhawks revenue and the Hawks are paying off money to the parent company that was previously loaned to them to keep making ends meet during the lean years even though they're owned by the same man.

The Hawks are only in the red in fantasy accounting land.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
  #357
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
The Hawks are only in the red in fantasy accounting land.
Imagination land? I went there earlier today with another poster. We went to see an NHL were all 30 teams have the success without a cap but only big market teams win the cup.

du5566* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  #358
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
It's absolutely astonishing to people that people on a board called BUSINESS of hockey are arguing that Billionaire Business owners are ENTITLED to profit.

In an era when people are debating whether or not senior citizens are entitled to social securiity and retired workers are entitled to the pensions they were promised...

average folks are arguing that Billionaires are entitled to profits by clamping down on labor markets.

Bizarro world.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
  #359
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
It's absolutely astonishing to people that people on a board called BUSINESS of hockey are arguing that Billionaire Business owners are ENTITLED to profit.

In an era when people are debating whether or not senior citizens are entitled to social securiity and retired workers are entitled to the pensions they were promised...

average folks are arguing that Billionaires are entitled to profits by clamping down on labor markets.

Bizarro world.
I am confused Bob, so in the BUSINESS of hockey forum we should argue that the owners should just give into the players and let their companies draw losses in profits?

Mod...


Last edited by Killion: 01-05-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: not necc's...
du5566* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 06:59 PM
  #360
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
It's absolutely astonishing to people that people on a board called BUSINESS of hockey are arguing that Billionaire Business owners are ENTITLED to profit.
Unless I missed something, I don't think I've seen anyone say the owners are entitled to earn a profit. Many have said that they should have the ability to break even if they want. Currently that's not the case.

__________________
"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
  #361
TKB
Registered User
 
TKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 530
vCash: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
...

The Hawks are only in the red in fantasy accounting land.
I agree was just posting a follow up to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB
You can't prove it, but when the Blackhawks claim they are losing money I smell a skunk, and a big one at that.

TKB is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:05 PM
  #362
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Nhl hockey - best sport in the world run by the worst people.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
  #363
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,399
vCash: 500
I think they are at the point with the cap where they should just flip a coin head the NHL's number and tails the NHLPA's number like on those fake pawn/storage shows.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:21 PM
  #364
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,494
vCash: 5792
If the PA can get the cap to $64.3, what it was last year, it would be interesting to compare the math from last year to next year.

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:28 PM
  #365
Phelan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
I think they are at the point with the cap where they should just flip a coin head the NHL's number and tails the NHLPA's number like on those fake pawn/storage shows.
Who gets to keep the coin?

Phelan is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  #366
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
Who gets to keep the coin?
They can auction off the coin and the proceeds can be spilt between player pensions and the revenue share.

du5566* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
  #367
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
They can auction off the coin and the proceeds can be spilt between player pensions and the revenue share.


Hope they get it done, with no football I might lose my mind....

JOHNBOY is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:49 PM
  #368
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post


Hope they get it done, with no football I might lose my mind....
I hear ya, if I have to turn to the NBA for my winter sports fix I am not going to be a happy camper.

du5566* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  #369
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
I hear ya, if I have to turn to the NBA for my winter sports fix I am not going to be a happy camper.
I refuse to, I am stuck down in NC and have literally nothing to do but babysit twin boys and keep my fat @$$ in shape so I need my Sabres fix and I need it fast. I wont even care if they suck again!

JOHNBOY is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  #370
Whale Mingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
It's absolutely astonishing to people that people on a board called BUSINESS of hockey are arguing that Billionaire Business owners are ENTITLED to profit.
By the same argument could you not say that people making hundreds of thousands of dollars, and many, millions of dollars a year to play a game, when so many are struggling in this world, have no right to ask for more money?

Mod...


Last edited by Killion: 01-05-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: personal... dont go there.
Whale Mingo is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
  #371
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
I refuse to, I am stuck down in NC and have literally nothing to do but babysit twin boys and keep my fat @$$ in shape so I need my Sabres fix and I need it fast. I wont even care if they suck again!
Haha, well I hope the lockout ends and the rumors about free center ice this year are true. That way you can watch your Sabres for free in NC.

du5566* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
  #372
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Haha, well I hope the lockout ends and the rumors about free center ice this year are true. That way you can watch your Sabres for free in NC.
Those aren't real rumours are they? I thought that was just something dreamed up here.

colchar is online now  
Old
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
  #373
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,494
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
It's simple really. Putting teams in nontraditional markets will grow the league. A salary cap guarantees that with proper management those franchises can at least be successful hockey teams regardless of market size. Having a successful league spread throughout North America means that the NHL can reach as many fans as possible and in return makes the sport more appealing to the masses.

Hypothetically someone who is not a hockey fan and lives in a nontraditional market would be more likely to become a fan if the NHL team in their market was successful. Problem is most of the teams in these markets have little to no chance of long term success without a salary cap.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it should be gone about more prudently. Make one or two markets successful before moving in elsewhere.

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 08:11 PM
  #374
DuklaNation
Registered User
 
DuklaNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
He's losing money in the sense that they're not counting concessions and game day parking as part of Blackhawks revenue and the Hawks are paying off money to the parent company that was previously loaned to them to keep making ends meet during the lean years even though they're owned by the same man.

The Hawks are only in the red in fantasy accounting land.
Under an audit, the related party transactions would be duly noted. Therefore, hardly 'fantasy'.

DuklaNation is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
  #375
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Those aren't real rumours are they? I thought that was just something dreamed up here.
Not sure. I heard it on this site and guess I was just hoping it was true. I buy it every year because otherwise I would miss the great hockey played in the western conference. It would be nice for the NHL to do something for the fans.

du5566* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.