HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
You mean the shot that Sean "Buzzkill" Kuraly blocked? That was clearly tipped off of Kuraly's stick wide.
'Cause there was only 1 shot? We didn't see the same tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
"Most"? Hmm, I doubt that, and if people were expecting his youtube highlights style dominance, then they were doomed to disappointment from the start.
You absolutely don't have to take my word. Go look for yourself. As far as Habs fans are concerned, we have THAT, a poster cool enough to give us his report after every single game or close to it. And that would be one of the reasons why we were expecting a lot. And he has been picked #3 without playing a season. And he is, statswise, on top of the league he plays in. So no wonder expectations were there.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Wasn't just 1 game. It was 4 games against 3 quality teams. If he can't be better than average against those teams of teenagers, how would he play in the NHL against men in 2 weeks? Probably not that well.
Well he didn't had much icetime, he had weak linemates and he wasn't often used in key situation, so how is he supposed to prove he's the best?

Old
01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Well he didn't had much icetime, he had weak linemates and he wasn't often used in key situation, so how is he supposed to prove he's the best?
I'm not trying to bash Gally here. What I am saying is I do not know how in 2 weeks he could be good enough to play a meaningful role in the NHL (he shouldn't stay up for a small role) when he wasn't able to stand out constantly playing against teens when facing quality teams in this tournament.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash Gally here. What I am saying is I do not know how in 2 weeks he could be good enough to play a meaningful role in the NHL (he shouldn't stay up for a small role) when he wasn't able to stand out constantly playing against teens when facing quality teams in this tournament.
Yakupov did not stand out and he will be in the NHL. So should Galchenyuk. Has nothing to prove anymore in the CHL.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:25 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Yakupov did not stand out and he will be in the NHL. So should Galchenyuk. Has nothing to prove anymore in the CHL.
It's 7 games, whether or not a player stood out in that relatively small of a sample almost certainly won't be considered as much by the organizations as it is by the fans.

Not saying Gally should be in the NHL, TBH I think it's more likely he isn't than that he is but I don't think him having a couple of so-so games at the WJHC will play any significant part in the decision.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:06 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Interesting question, does anyone else think that Alex's game is more suited to the smaller ice surface?

He's a bit slower then other players, not elite level speed but not slow by any means but on the forecheck this could be devastating.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGalchenyuk94 View Post
10th in WJC scoring despite playing 13-14 mins per game and scrubs for linemates. Imagine Gally playing with Schiefele and Huberdeau. He would have been almost as productive as RNH.
I wouldn't lump Barber in with Kuraly in the category "scrubs." Barber was the top freshman scorer in the NCAA when he left for this tourney. After watching 7 games of Kuraly, I agree with every last bit of vitriol that has been directed his way.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
DAChampion

In another thread, I recently gave an approximate tier-ranking to the NHL's legitimate no. 1 centres; I'm copying and pasting it here and I'm wondering where the close watchers would place Galchenyuk's potential three or four years down the line:

Tier 1, 1-5:
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Toews
Tavares

Tier 2, 6-10:
Giroux
Datsyuk
Sedin
N. Backstrom
Kopitar

Tier 3, 11-15:
Nugent-Hopkins
Spezza
J. Thornton
Tyler Seguin
B. Richards

Honourables:
Elias, Getzlaf, Plekanec, Lecavalier, Couture, Bergeron, Krejci, J. Carter, E. Staal

Old
01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In another thread, I recently gave an approximate tier-ranking to the NHL's legitimate no. 1 centres; I'm copying and pasting it here and I'm wondering where the close watchers would place Galchenyuk's potential three or four years down the line:

Tier 1, 1-5:
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Toews
Tavares

Tier 2, 6-10:
Giroux
Datsyuk
Sedin
N. Backstrom
Kopitar

Tier 3, 11-15:
Nugent-Hopkins
Spezza
J. Thornton
Tyler Seguin
B. Richards

Honourables:
Elias, Getzlaf, Plekanec, Lecavalier, Couture, Bergeron, Krejci, J. Carter, E. Staal
Datysuk is top 3.. Giroux over Tavares too.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Over Tavares and Toews.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Congrats to USA on the win they earned it. Congrats to Galchenyuk for having an impressive debut to the U-20's although i'm not sure he'll be there in 2014 since hopefully the NHL is back by then.

I can admit he didn't look as awesome as I had hoped he would and it's not a big deal since i've already seen a bunch of times what this kid can do but I still blame the coaching for Team USA as he is an elite talent and should have been used more, had a bigger role with the team. But in the end they won and their top line got hot when it mattered most, so it's easy to see why some would blame the coach while others wouldn't.

No way, that's a long flight back home, let him rest a little and enjoy the experience.

I'm in the 1st group in that I think Galchenyuk is a future superstar but despite not looking his best still had a very good debut to the U-20's. His coach should have used him more since he's an elite offensive talent that can do it all but it worked out for USA in the end.
Housley didn't remind me of Bowman but there's no reason to knock a coach whose team defeated those that were favored over his. His use of particular players worked out well. Did anyone on this board expect Grimaldi and Gaudreau to be outstanding while Galchenyuk was almost a non-factor compared to Yakupov and Grigorenko? Nor did McKinnon play like an odds-on favorite to be taken #1--so much for an ill-conceived tanking strategy! Who else looked good? Obviously, Jones, and several undrafted Russians and Swedes. I should have added that I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Huberdeau, who didn't impress me at al.

Maybe it's spiteful to say so, but Gibson and Lundstrom solidly outplayed Malcolm Subban.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 01-05-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old
01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
I said the same thing about his play in Sarnia, backed it up with how he plays against stronger teams and against weaker teams, provided every stat possible and even went into detail on the way he plays without the puck against stronger and weaker opponents and I got ripped apart. Fans just don't want to see both sides of the coin. They see a laser beam of a wrist shot and think he's NHL material once the lock-out ends.

I don't think that's the case. I want to see him dominate stronger teams at a consistent pace the way he does against weaker teams and I also want there to be a spot open for him on the roster where he can be on a line with players that can contribute the way he does. If he's coming up to play with Moen and Bourque, then we're getting Kuraly-Barber all over again.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-05-2013, 10:40 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I said the same thing about his play in Sarnia, backed it up with how he plays against stronger teams and against weaker teams, provided every stat possible and even went into detail on the way he plays without the puck against stronger and weaker opponents and I got ripped apart. Fans just don't want to see both sides of the coin. They see a laser beam of a wrist shot and think he's NHL material once the lock-out ends.
Just to add to what you say. Those stiff Gally's playing with in Sarnia (Sarrault and Boucher) have respectively 11 and 12 pts in 5 games since Gallys departure. Looks like they can "survive" without him after all. Better, his replacement on the line Goldobin is doing quite good to say the least. The kid has alot of potential, but his production with Sarnia means little and he isn't ready to have any kind of impact on an NHL roster right now. Anyway, that's my unprofessionnal opinion.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Just to add to what you say. Those stiff Gally's playing with in Sarnia (Sarrault and Boucher) have respectively 11 and 12 pts in 5 games since Gallys departure. Looks like they can "survive" without him after all. Better, his replacement on the line Goldobin is doing quite good to say the least. The kid has alot of potential, but his production with Sarnia means little and he isn't ready to have any kind of impact on an NHL roster right now. Anyway, that's my unprofessionnal opinion.
I think we'll know better when we see him in training camp, as I'm fairly sure he'll get an invite. Until then, its more of each fan's 'feeling', because its hard to predict how any individual player will adapt to the big show.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Gourou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Housley didn't remind me of Bowman but there's no reason to knock a coach whose team defeated those that were favored over his. His use of particular players worked out well. Did anyone on this board expect Grimaldi and Gaudreau to be outstanding while Galchenyuk was almost a non-factor compared to Yakupov and Grigorenko? Nor did McKinnon play like an odds-on favorite to be taken #1--so much for an ill-conceived tanking strategy! Who else looked good? Obviously, Jones, and several undrafted Russians and Swedes. I should have added that I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Huberdeau, who didn't impress me at al.

Maybe it's spiteful to say so, but Gibson and Lundstrom solidly outplayed Malcolm Subban.
Grimaldi outstanding?? He played 1 great game and it doesn't erase the fact he was bad for most of the tourney.

As for Galchenyuk and most of the top prospects in the WJC, I think that they are all victims of the hype around them. Everyone thinks a top prospect should dominate from end to end every game he is into and I find this ridiculous. Even in the NHL there is very few players that can do that. So every year top prospects don't live up to the hype and people are disapointed. This year it's Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Huberdeau, Hamilton etc. There's even talk on the main board about RNH. At the opposite, some relatively unknown prospect with not a lot of hype like Gaudreau have a very good tournament and there's people penciling him as a first liner in the NHL.

He had an average tournament, he could and he can be better, but he still was better than the majority of players that took part in it. There is a lot of factor (coach, system, teammates, big ice, etc,) that may have affected his game and that he will never face again or will improve on. People just need to chill out.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Agreed.....100%

Old
01-06-2013, 04:57 AM
ChoseLa

See you at the camp.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Time to take that gold medal off, Alex. You are coming to camp for an attempt at making the roster of the most storied franchise in sports this week. Welcome to The Show.

What pressure on a teenager. Insane.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:19 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

So excited to see him in camp

Old
01-06-2013, 07:34 AM
baldrick

I don't think he should come to training camp this "season", it's going to be chaos.
Next year there will be more prep time for the staff to evaluate and plan.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Why doesn't he have anything else to prove in the CHL? 'Cause he's amongst the scoring leaders? Well might as well graduate the top 10 leaders every year. I'd love to see what he can do with his team in a situation like the playoffs. Sarnia went from average team to maybe a contender. Belleville, with Subban, now signed Graovac, will be a tough team to beat, London who's a powerhouse, and how will Gally react if he just lost Sarault and Boucher to Goldobin and will have to carry a 2nd line by himself?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

I will take a 45 minute bus and then another passing by Panama to come and see what you got. See you at camp Alex !

Old
01-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Mr. Hab

IF only it were possible (up to me)...I'd give a few more games to Galchy with Sarnia (10? 20?), and then...off to the Bulldogs to join Gallagher, Leblanc, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and the rest of the future Habbies...

(in the end management will make the decision...not us Hab fans...I just hope management males the right decision for Galchy's future...let's remember that Price, Subban, Pleks all spent time in the AHL...let's not rush Galchy.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
I don't think he should come to training camp this "season", it's going to be chaos.
Next year there will be more prep time for the staff to evaluate and plan.
Smart/rational thinking.
(yes I want to see galchy in a Habs uniform right away...but I really really don;t think it's the right decision...patience will pay off).

2013-2014
Bulldogs (and call Galchy up when management thinks the timing is perfect or close to it...let's see what Galchy can do in the AHL before joining the Habs).

Old
01-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Smart/rational thinking.
(yes I want to see galchy in a Habs uniform right away...but I really really don;t think it's the right decision...patience will pay off).

2013-2014
Bulldogs (and call Galchy up when management thinks the timing is perfect or close to it...let's see what Galchy can do in the AHL before joining the Habs).
He can't play in Hamilton until 2014-15 other than playoffs if sarnia is done.

Next season it is either CHL or NHL.

Closed Thread