HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton E28 (and Bauer P14) Curve Discussion

Old
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

vCash: 500
Easton E28 (and Bauer P14) Curve Discussion

Just watched on their youtube channel that they have a new pattern called the E28 coming out on the new Mako. Very interested to see how this new pattern works.

Last edited by Jarick: 01-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I saw that yesterday. It basically looks like a Sakic with a bit more rocker at the toe.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

It's the 'Kreps' curve that everyone always talks about.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Chanbing96

Just my opinion but I want less rocker at my toe I think I would fumble it alot with this curve

Chanbing96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Fanned On It

I'm definitely going to try it if it comes in replacement blade form... not going to buy a Mako one-piece for it, though. Looks sweet and I think I would like it since I've been shooting off my toe a ton.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:04 AM
r3cc0s

I think this is a common pro-stock type curve...

we used to say that pro-stock blades look like spears as the curve is so rounded as there is a constant rocker

its must like what they say, you can flex the stick/blade better by shooting off the toe, but I think more importantly that you can fire the puck closer to the body, not requiring one to drop the puck back to fire it...

I think with the way snappers/wristers are taken these days, more of a hard push, and again fired so often off the same foot shot, these prostyle blades accomodate best

only thing I would have issues with are reaching for the puck and having it just slide under the toe...
I assume taking clappers still is off the heal and the curve accomodates the puck to roll up the toe?

Last edited by r3cc0s: 12-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.
r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I'm definitely going to try it if it comes in replacement blade form... not going to buy a Mako one-piece for it, though. Looks sweet and I think I would like it since I've been shooting off my toe a ton.
e28 blade pattern is not listed as an available pattern for replacement blades in the new catalog...standard or tapered.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I hate shooting off the toe, so not sure what this pattern would do for me. I shoot off the middle or the heel, but according to Easton that "doesn't work". Worked fine for me up until now haha.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:35 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Cmiiw but doesn't it play a bit similar like Bauer's P92?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
Cmiiw but doesn't it play a bit similar like Bauer's P92?
I was just about to say this is almost exactly like the Backstrom curve...

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
AIREAYE

It's not like the Backstrom, there's more toe to it.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's not like the Backstrom, there's more toe to it.
Indeed, I believe the lie is lower too, and AFAIK the toe is more rockered as well.

FWIW, I took some screen caps of the curve from a different video, you can get a sense of what the curve looks like from these. Very nice looking curve IMO, this may be my next stick purchase.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Aucoin11*

If you buy a mako 2 and don't get E28 you're doing it wrong.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Greasy Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
If you buy a mako 2 and don't get E28 you're doing it wrong.
Exactly. Why I'm waiting till my store gets it in.

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
AIREAYE

You guys are suckers for marketing lol.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
You guys are suckers for marketing lol.
Have you seen that beauty in person yet?

PS: that said you may have a point haha.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
AIREAYE

Nope, they haven't arrived in my area yet and my store isn't getting them haha. I've seen the curve online and scoff at all of Easton's marketing videos about this supposedly 'better' way of shooting that only a small fraction of the hockey population can pull off.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Greasy Sliders

Quote:
Nope, they haven't arrived in my area yet and my store isn't getting them haha. I've seen the curve online and scoff at all of Easton's marketing videos about this supposedly 'better' way of shooting that only a small fraction of the hockey population can pull off.
I'm assuming your saying you can't do it ?

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
AIREAYE

Well I can't say anything because I haven't seen/tried it now have I?

But probably not, no, I can't shoot like that Edina HS kid nor can I shoot like Bjugstad.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Everything you've said so far is 100 percent true.

That said, the curve is still gorgeous.

I do kind of wonder how many people will actually use the curve the way easton has supposedly "designed" it. I'm pretty sure most people will pick it up and go "OOO HUGE TOE THIS LOOKS SWEET"

Then again, I'm pretty much doing that right now so who am I to talk.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
ponder

I will say that I've been trying out this method of shooting (discussed it in detail here), and I honestly love it. I'm a very experienced player, and already had a very good shot shooting from the mid blade, with the puck a bit further away from my body, but now that I'm shooting more from the toe, with the puck closer to my body, my shot is definitely better. Not only a touch harder, but it just feels more natural once you get used to it, you can really feel the whip so well both in terms of flexing your stick, and having a sort of slingshot motion with your blade/wrists. I would occasionally sort of "top" my shots with my old shooting style (golfers will get that reference), but with this new style I'm more consistent even when off balance. I also feel like I can follow through harder than ever, when shooting from the mid/heel I'd only snap my wrists slightly, with this style of shooting I can really snap hard, and get that feeling of just flinging the puck at the net, which is awesome. Also, even on pure snap shots, where I just pounce on the puck and fire (as opposed to pull snap/wrist shots where you pull the puck in, then load up), my shot is a bit better, as I'm naturally loading up with pressure on the toe half of the blade now, which really does just let me load up the stick more easily and completely.

I'm currently using a P14, and I like it a lot, but for this style of shooting I *DO* wish it had more rocker at the toe, and a slightly lower lie, as this would allow me to get even pressure on the front half of the blade more easily. The E28 does seem like it could fit my needs perfectly, if they had it in a replacement blade I'd be all over it, but since it's only available in a top of the line OPS it'll be a tougher decision. I hope it's legitimately a lie 5 (i.e. Modano/PM9 lie), and not just a hair lower than a Sakic type lie.

One last point, I used to have a Hossa pro (BC01), and I didn't like it at all at the time, because I was trying to shoot the same way I did with a mid/heel curve. I had pretty much abandoned toe curves until picking up a P14 on a whim (which is really a mid-toe), and it has only become my favourite curve because I've tweaked my shooting mechanics. If you're not interested in tweaking your mechanics, stay away from toe curves. If I had seen these Easton shooting videos earlier, I might have stuck with the Hossa pro.

Last edited by ponder: 01-06-2013 at 11:33 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Everything you've said so far is 100 percent true.

That said, the curve is still gorgeous.

I do kind of wonder how many people will actually use the curve the way easton has supposedly "designed" it. I'm pretty sure most people will pick it up and go "OOO HUGE TOE THIS LOOKS SWEET"

Then again, I'm pretty much doing that right now so who am I to talk.
Nah dude, a lot of the dads will vomit in their mouths but some of the kids can't wait to try it. That being said, they will try it and most likely imo, not like it.

I think it will sell better than your Ovechkin pro curve (Bauer P08, CCM Crazy, Warrior Kremlin) though. We'll see.

Hey ponder, if you grab it, shoot a video if you can haha

Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would love to try the E28 only because I'd like a flatter rocker on the toe half of the blade for shooting.

I can definitely say I don't shoot like Bjugstad unless I consciously do it, but I carry the puck close to the same way as the setup for that shot. And the flatter rocker would give better puck contact for harder and more accurate shots.

Also I saw a P08 in the store today and it looked sexy as hell. Like a Sakic with a smidge of heel twist, and I mean just a smidge not that godawful CrazyOvi nonsense. Real subtle, but I could use a bit more heel loft on my P92's.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Nah dude, a lot of the dads will vomit in their mouths but some of the kids can't wait to try it. That being said, they will try it and most likely imo, not like it.

I think it will sell better than your Ovechkin pro curve (Bauer P08, CCM Crazy, Warrior Kremlin) though. We'll see.

Hey ponder, if you grab it, shoot a video if you can haha
Do you suspect that is more so due to the curve itself or the fact that it's an Easton stick haha.

Also, I should say most high level players I know, when given time and space, tend to try shooting off the toe with some technique resembling Bjugs. The puck undoubtedly pops off much much harder with this. Also the whole changing the angle with the shot, that this technique allows, in itself makes it an instantly better approach.