HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Edmonton

Old
01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Hammer is a solid skating stick checking player who blocks a ton of shots, I'm sure Edmonton allows a lot more shots in year against than Chicago
Chicago allowed 238 goals against them, Edmonton allowed 239 goals against them. Smid is a boss.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:44 PM
DontToewzMeBro

vCash: 500
In 69 GP-Hammer blocked 142 *****
Smid -180 I believe

Chicago averged 28.6 ***** against while Edmonton 30.7 per game

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Smid -180 I believe

now that you put that together, put into account on which team has more NHL games played experience and then compare the number of cup rings each team has. Watch out, Edmonton's coming.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
You made a fool of yourself in the RNH/Giroux thread, and you are making a fool of yourself here. Smid is undeniably better then Hammer, its not that close either.
That's funny because that's all I hear EDM only fans saying... You know the team that's killing it with Toronto for the most ridiculously biased fans poll.

Edit: and how did I make a fool of myself... I said I'd take Giroux for his career over RNH without a doubt... Which is the correct choice, you along with many other picked RNH and some ( not saying you said it) actually stated RNH's floor is where Giroux is now. Who's ridiculous?

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Smid -180 I believe

Your reasoning is seriously flawed, Edmonton allowed more shots per game due to the fact they took more penalties per game then the Hawks. Then there is the fact that their top 6 is on the small size and were out muscled most nights.

Hammer would end up playing behind Smid and N.Schultz and since he doesn't bring any grit to the game and his PK play is not the best, he would sit behind Sutton and Peckham. Peckham is a better PKer then Hammer as well and a heck of lot cheaper. Why would the Oilers take on a contract the Hawks want to dump, especially only for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
That's funny because that's all I hear EDM only fans saying... You know the team that's killing it with Toronto for the most ridiculously biased fans poll.

Edit: and how did I make a fool of myself... I said I'd take Giroux for his career over RNH without a doubt... Which is the correct choice, you along with many other picked RNH and some ( not saying you said it) actually stated RNH's floor is where Giroux is now. Who's ridiculous?
Most people missed it before you edited it, but you stated Smid was a 3rd pairing D, once a fool always a fool.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
You know the team that's killing it with Toronto for the most ridiculously biased fans poll.
This is the dumbest of the dumb these comments. What does any Edmonton fans opinion have to do with one particular fans opinion even if he is a fan of the same team. Nothing i say can be attributed to anyone else on these boards, and vica versa.

And if Edmonton has the most biased fanbase we certainly (along with TO) have the most bias against us. Look no further than Yakupov who went from the next Stamkos to a below average 1st overall the minute we won the lottery. Look at Sam Gagner, has any player ever been subjected to more exaggeration of their weaknesses? I don't think so. People all last year talked about how Hemsky is worth a 2nd and will be injured right away. Do you know how many new injuries Ales Hemsky has suffered since his last shoulder injury? None, nadda, zilch. The only time he took time off was for continued rehab. And guess what i called it. I said 7 years of relative health was a greater indication than his last two years of tough luck. And guess what i was called, a biased homer. And guess who was right, the homer. So just because HF thinks its wrong, or biased i wouldn't go out and argue it's definitive of anything. ****, HF is the site that voted Erik Johnson as a top 20 dman in the league. HF is on crack.

I think what is going on is most Edmonton fans are very excited because we have numerous top young players and prospects that should all come together around the same time (ala Chicago) and we see the potential, and value that potential. Most HF non Oiler fans see a team that has had a very poor record for the past few years so they assume all our players are crap, and value them as such. As we saw with Pittsburgh sometimes the difference from lottery to contender can be bridged in a year or two, and i think most Oiler fans feel at this point it's not far from happening for us. In fact most of HFOil just believes alot of HF is just flat out scared of how good the Oilers will be. Look at how many people are trying to call Schultz's AHL performance irrelevant. It's ridiculous. From where i'm standing i'm just fine being an Oilers homer, it seems like a good bet in the long run.

You think Smid is worse than Hammer that's just mind blowing, they aren't even in the same stratosphere at the moment. Hammer may still have his breakout season but Smid just had his and it was marvelous, Hammer on the other hand is a very average player atm. There is literally not one piece of evidence one could provide that Hammer had a better season than Smid. Not one. Hammer is where Smid was a couple years ago, he is not a top shutdown defenseman in the league like Smid is now.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:

You made a fool by yourself with statements like "Im a Chicago fan so my vote has means more." and "Giroux is the right choice." you seem like you 100% know but no one knows. You made a fool of yourself by thinking your posts mean the most and acting like you know everything such as "Oilers would not think twice about trading RNH for Giroux" actually they wouldn't, so nice try. And also saying Smid is a 3rd pairing?!?! you lose credibility with stuff like that.

You mention that Oiler fans said "RNH's floor is what Giroux is now." Id like to see a quote of anyone saying that, cause I read that whole thread and that was not mentioned.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
This is the dumbest of the dumb these comments. What does any Edmonton fans opinion have to do with one particular fans opinion even if he is a fan of the same team. Nothing i say can be attributed to anyone else on these boards, and vica versa.

And if Edmonton has the most biased fanbase we certainly (along with TO) have the most bias against us. Look no further than Yakupov who went from the next Stamkos to a below average 1st overall the minute we won the lottery. Look at Sam Gagner, has any player ever been subjected to more exaggeration of their weaknesses? I don't think so. People all last year talked about how Hemsky is worth a 2nd and will be injured right away. Do you know how many new injuries Ales Hemsky has suffered since his last shoulder injury? None, nadda, zilch. The only time he took time off was for continued rehab. And guess what i called it. I said 7 years of relative health was a greater indication than his last two years of tough luck. And guess what i was called, a biased homer. And guess who was right, the homer. So just because HF thinks its wrong, or biased i wouldn't go out and argue it's definitive of anything. ****, HF is the site that voted Erik Johnson as a top 20 dman in the league. HF is on crack.

I think what is going on is most Edmonton fans are very excited because we have numerous top young players and prospects that should all come together around the same time (ala Chicago) and we see the potential, and value that potential. Most HF non Oiler fans see a team that has had a very poor record for the past few years so they assume all our players are crap, and value them as such. As we saw with Pittsburgh sometimes the difference from lottery to contender can be bridged in a year or two, and i think most Oiler fans feel at this point it's not far from happening for us. In fact most of HFOil just believes alot of HF is just flat out scared of how good the Oilers will be. Look at how many people are trying to call Schultz's AHL performance irrelevant. It's ridiculous. From where i'm standing i'm just fine being an Oilers homer, it seems like a good bet in the long run.

You think Smid is worse than Hammer that's just mind blowing, they aren't even in the same stratosphere at the moment. Hammer may still have his breakout season but Smid just had his and it was marvelous, Hammer on the other hand is a very average player atm. There is literally not one piece of evidence one could provide that Hammer had a better season than Smid. Not one. Hammer is where Smid was a couple years ago, he is not a top shutdown defenseman in the league like Smid is now.
Habs fan here.

I like the Oilers and think they have been doing their rebuild the right way. This is going to be a dangerous team as early as this season. As long as they can stay healthy.

As an aside, Hemsky did not play a full season, again. He didn't miss half the year, but he did miss 13 games. That is still 15% of the season. I would also point out that Hemsky's return to health did not see a return to his previous point productivity. His 36 points in 69 games is not good. If he doesn't regain his point productivity, it will hurt the Oilers. Right now there are reasons why people are unwilling to accept Hemsky as a serious piece in a trade. His injury issues can not be ignored, and the drop off in productivity is worrisome.

As far as Smid and Hjalmarsson. I don't see how anyone would take Hammer over Smid. If Montreal could get one of the two for free, it would be Smid all the way. Smid is more physical, and more defensively capable. Please let me know if Smid is available for a player of Hammer's calibre, I am certain Montreal could and would offer more!

Last edited by Drydenwasthebest: 01-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

Sorry for interfering, but as a Habs fan, I would have to say Smid is definitely better than Hammer. He is much more physical and plays better defensively. If I can pick one for my team, it is Smid.

I do agree that I would take Giroux over RNH right now. In 3 years? I think it will be a tougher call to make.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
To Edmonton

N.Hjarlmasson
Bryan Bickell
Mark McNeil or Kevin Hayes
2nd

To Chicago
-Gagner
-Jones
I can not see the Hawks offering that package for those two players. I must admit, though, if there is any team in the NHL that would pay more than Gagner is worth, it would probably be the Hawks.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Sorry for interfering, but as a Habs fan, I would have to say Smid is definitely better than Hammer. He is much more physical and plays better defensively. If I can pick one for my team, it is Smid.

I do agree that I would take Giroux over RNH right now. In 3 years? I think it will be a tougher call to make.
I may be underrating Smid but he's definitely not far and away better

Old
01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Habs fan here.

I like the Oilers and think they have been doing their rebuild the right way. This is going to be a dangerous team as early as this season. As long as they can stay healthy.

As an aside, Hemsky did not play a full season, again. He didn't miss half the year, but he did miss 13 games. That is still 15% of the season. I would also point out that Hemsky's return to health did not see a return to his previous point productivity. His 36 points in 69 games is not good. If he doesn't regain his point productivity, it will hurt the Oilers. Right now there are reasons why people are unwilling to accept Hemsky as a serious piece in a trade. His injury issues can not be ignored, and the drop off in productivity is worrisome.

As far as Smid and Hjalmarsson. I don't see how anyone would take Hammer over Smid. If Montreal could get one of the two for free, it would be Smid all the way. Smid is more physical, and more defensively capable. Please let me know if Smid is available for a player of Hammer's calibre, I am certain Montreal could and would offer more!
He clearly stated that Hemsky missed time, but that it was due to continued rehabbing of his previous injury. ie, he came back too soon and took time off to heal.

As per Hemsky's per game production, it certainly was not good, but if you watched Hemsky's season, he was very tentative at the beginning. You can almost count the shift where his season turned around, when he got hit hard in Detroit (I think it was by Stuart) and felt no ill effects. As soon as he knew he could take a hit, he started playing like the Hemsky of old and started putting points up. I don't think its unreasonable to expect Hemsky to be a valuable contributor to the Oilers next (or this?) year.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Zero interest in Gagner.
and yet he absolutely torched the hawks for 8 points in a game last season. If he's got slightly bigger, veteran wingers who can hold their own, he is a good option for a #2 C who is still very young and early on in his career.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
and yet he absolutely torched the hawks for 8 points in a game last season. If he's got slightly bigger, veteran wingers who can hold their own, he is a good option for a #2 C who is still very young and early on in his career.
He had 8 points but only 9 in the whole season

Old
01-06-2013, 12:18 AM
MessierII

Quote:
I may be underrating Smid but he's definitely not far and away better
Yes he is. Everyone's wrong sometimes. Admit it and move along.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:14 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Hammer is a solid skating stick checking player who blocks a ton of shots, I'm sure Edmonton allows a lot more shots in year against than Chicago,

for example if Edmonton allows 2700 shots against per year Smid blocks lets say 150
then Chicago allows 2200 shots and Hammer blocks 100 the difference may not be so huge,

Edmonton fans are awful in regards to player value, just look at the package I offered it was fair and a bit of an overpayment.

Just like all the fans voting Eberle>Crosby and Toews on a best Canadian poll, EDM fans dominated.

IMO, Smid>Hammer because of contract only, and best believe many people compared a young Hammer to Kronwall, he still has room to grow IMO, Smid however not so much.
So Hammer at 25 isn't done developing, but Smid is done at 26?

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:15 AM
12345*

Quote:
He had 8 points but only 9 in the whole season
i lol'd.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I understand Chicago need to maintain their depth on defence with Hjarlmasson and at the end of your post what are you sayin about Jones?

Alright I underrated Jones, I understand he is a great PKer but really he doesn't produce all that much more than Bickell, he actually did step up and play in a bigger role for the Hawks last year.

All things considered I'll give it to you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
no.
Maybe I am overrating Hjalmarrson too, but everytime I see the Hawks play he looks solid and is a reliable playoff player.

Smid is actually really good I agree, I severlly underrated him earlier, although in my defense it can be tough sometimes to notice the value in a defensively player like Smid from afar. Much like alot of people underrate Hamhuis from our perspective, my mistake though. He's a great player for you guys & is inline for a big raise eventually.

Honestly though Gagner isn't really all that attractive to most teams, If I was the Hawks I wouldn't trade Hjalmarsson for him.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 01-06-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Did people actually say they would take RNH over Giroux?

I mean the kid is great don't get me wrong but Giroux is way better, and I honestly doubt RNH's ceiling is all that much higher than what Giroux is at if at all, that's just being extremely biased to say that, if indeed they did say that.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Bjure

Big overpayment for the Hawks. They won't trade McNeill.

Bjure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
So Hammer at 25 isn't done developing, but Smid is done at 26?
and Gagner is clearly finished his development at 23...until he becomes a Hawk

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote