2013 World Junior Championships

Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Era of Sanity
Certified Poster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So the picks the leaf's traded for Tyler biggs turned out to be Richard Rackell and John Gibson.
lol, typical Leafs. Personally I blame the Team Canada debacle on the Leaf fanbase, they are nothing but bad luck.

Era of Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
<<<<<<<<<<wants a pink furry outfit with cool coin headband thing.
I think you really need that exotic Eurasian look to really pull that outfit off.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Kershaw

Did dafoomie upload highlights?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
So the picks the leaf's traded for Tyler biggs turned out to be Richard Rackell and John Gibson.
There's got to be a list somewhere of all lthe early round picks by the leafs that were dealt away. I'm thinking you could ice a pretty good team.

Over the volcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
JRull86

Admittedly didn't watch a ton of the tournament this year, but I gotta say the parity gap is definitely closing, and it's nice to see.

JRull86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Mazzie

Got up and 7am and made my girls (5 & 2) pancakes. Then we printed out American flags and made USA hats. I watched the game while they ran around like maniacs. I was so proud when the oldest yelled from the next room "Tell me when they score again!" Both of them sat transfixed through the entire awards ceremony (go figure) and tried to sing the anthem by making up words. Good times.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Being a novice on Team Canada, I think they should stop trying to always get this "balance" and just ice the best players. Their skill levels on lines 3-4 would more than likely dominate the other teams, but I guess if those types of players might not be willing to pay the price in certain areas of the ice, they are left no choice.

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie View Post
Got up and 7am and made my girls (5 & 2) pancakes. Then we printed out American flags and made USA hats. I watched the game while they ran around like maniacs. I was so proud when the oldest yelled from the next room "Tell me when they score again!" Both of them sat transfixed through the entire awards ceremony (go figure) and tried to sing the anthem by making up words. Good times.
You sir/ma'am, get the parenting award for the day!

Glove Malfunction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:33 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

Quote:
Being a novice on Team Canada, I think they should stop trying to always get this "balance" and just ice the best players. Their skill levels on lines 3-4 would more than likely dominate the other teams, but I guess if those types of players might not be willing to pay the price in certain areas of the ice, they are left no choice.
It does seem like they are over-thinking it for a U-20 tourny.

ssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Kovi

this only made me want more hockey.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Krupp

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts as well. For now, though, I'll settle for the boys from my country taking gold! I left home for work this morning after the first period and some of the second, and Sweden was up. I was nervous, didn't get to check the scores until after I had lunch around 2 today.

Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:46 PM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

vCash: 250
Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
I agree with this, a lot of redundancy on those bottom 2 lines. The physical/intimidation style doesn't really work in this tournament anymore.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
The GDTs on the World Juniors board were particularly scathing in their criticisms of Malcolm Subban, but what did you guys think of his performances? Congrats on winning the gold, by the way.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Yup.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Neely08

I've never seen Tretiak smile so much.

Russia doesn't look like...well...Russia anymore.

Can't get over Russian honor guard saluting our flag. 30 years ago? They may have skipped that.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:58 PM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I've never seen Tretiak smile so much.

Russia doesn't look like...well...Russia anymore.

Can't get over Russian honor guard saluting our flag. 30 years ago? They may have skipped that.
Said the same thing to my wife this AM about both things... Tretiak would have headbut those guys in the face not too long ago...and the flag salute??? Yeah right.

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:47 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
The GDTs on the World Juniors board were particularly scathing in their criticisms of Malcolm Subban, but what did you guys think of his performances? Congrats on winning the gold, by the way.
Was hardly Canada's problem. Had two really, really good games in the round robin and another very solid one today in the Bronze Medal Game. That's better than pretty much the entire defence and most of the forwards can say. Could he have been a little bit better against the US in the semis? Probably but no goalie was gonna make that a close game. Canadian defence was horrible, like they were most of the tournament, really the story of the tournament for Canada.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:52 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:

Honestly I had no expectations for Subban in this tournament. When the Bruins drafted him the book was that he was an exceptional athlete for the position, but at the same time he was extremely raw. So i have no expectations to see him even compete for a job for another 4 seasons.

So the fact that he may or may not have given up some bad goals in this tourney is completely meaningless to me.

Last edited by JoeIsAStud: 01-05-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: clarity
JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
I actually thought he had a good tournament, not just average or "acceptable". He made a ton of saves he had no business making in pretty much all of the games and most of the goals scored on him weren't his fault. You can't just look at stats, especially in this short of a tournament.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Era of Sanity
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
I agree with this, a lot of redundancy on those bottom 2 lines. The physical/intimidation style doesn't really work in this tournament anymore.
No there isn't intimidation, most of the players on the top teams know each other well. In international play/euro rules it just ends up in lots of powerplays given up and suspensions. USA usually understands this and brings a fast team. Especially on the big ice Canada need a faster team, like is Sochi they should bring a track team, guys like Seguin, not grinders.

Era of Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
What was everyone's thoughts on Dougie? (I likely have missed this convo already haha)

Wasn't that great

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
What was everyone's thoughts on Dougie? (I likely have missed this convo already haha)

Wasn't that great
He played exactly like the Team played, average, which doesn`t have me concerned one bit. There were plenty of "issues" with the team and most of them, IMO, begin with the selection committee and lack of game plan that a very good coach in Spott seemed to struggle with putting together.

This was a 2 line team and the D were so un-Canadian in that they were softer than a pillow. No good ole fashion hard hitting nastiness on the team, first line was slick, second line made nice contributions, still wondering if Spott dressed the 3rd and 4th line

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

I didn't get to see the Gold Medal game on Saturday morning, and I hadn't heard the results, so I was pleased as punch to see it being re-aired on NHL Network last night.

Then during a commercial break they play a big ad saying "Congratulations to the US Junior Hockey Team for winning the WJC."

Roll 4 Lines is online now   Reply With Quote