HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLVII: Could the End be in Sight???

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MardocAgain View Post
i know, im just very hesitant to disregard fanbases that have circumstances tough than those of popular franchises. The Yotes are finally having success, but the ownership / relocation rumors / arena situation probably all dull the hype of the team in the locale.

I likewise, don't like assuming that Columbus can't be a hockey town when that team has never won a playoff game and been epically mismanaged.
At least it looks like the Yotes have some really good management. Ownership is another story.

If only Columbus had management like the Coyotes. They would be OK.

Old
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleherman77 View Post
Kinda ot but think we'll still get a hockey day in canada with a short schedule?
No, there would have to be West vs East games in there and there will be no inter-conference play with a shortened season.

Old
RealKrug47*

And back down we go

Old
ODCapital74

https://twitter.com/nhlupdate/status/287738708801777664

Doesn't sound like a deal gets done tonight, but the negotiations will be back on tomorrow, likely with the mediator still in tow

Old
OpAck

So, ASSUMING this is resolved and the season will start on or before 1/15...I wonder if the league will consider adding games to fill up the original All-Star Break. I noticed that when I looked at the schedules. In the original schedule, teams aren't playing around 1/21-1/29. I'm assuming they'll work with the arenas and try to schedule games during those days.

For example...Isles have 41 games that have not been cancelled. Throw in three games during the original break...they would have 6 to add at the end of the season. Assuming that's two weeks...you can have a 50-game schedule complete by the last week of April.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
StittsvilleJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
No, there would have to be West vs East games in there and there will be no inter-conference play with a shortened season.
Why?

Old
Orca Smash

They are just to close to throw away the season. I just dont see how its possible but then again sides have amazed me throughout the process.

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
So, ASSUMING this is resolved and the season will start on or before 1/15...I wonder if the league will consider adding games to fill up the original All-Star Break. I noticed that when I looked at the schedules. In the original schedule, teams aren't playing around 1/21-1/29. I'm assuming they'll work with the arenas and try to schedule games during those days.

For example...Isles have 41 games that have not been cancelled. Throw in three games during the original break...they would have 6 to add at the end of the season. Assuming that's two weeks...you can have a 50-game schedule complete by the last week of April.
The season will probably start on the 19th.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCapital74 View Post

Doesn't sound like a deal gets done tonight, but the negotiations will be back on tomorrow, likely with the mediator still in tow
is this a good source??

Old
01-05-2013, 08:58 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post

For sure the old schedule will be scrapped and a new one drawn up so there will be games scheduled without a doubt.. IF this gets resolved that is.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
They are just to close to throw away the season. I just dont see how its possible but then again sides have amazed me throughout the process.
You must have forgot about how close they were last lockout.....season got canceled...

Old
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
If like you say, the players do in fact WANT to play this year...the last thing they want to do is use that disclaimer.
There is what they would like to do...and what most will need to do.

Old
Howboutthempanthers
No tanking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Was the idea to put them in a place where they would be sort of equidistant from Miami and Fort Lauderdale?
It's much closer to Fort Lauderdale.

Old
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecrosby View Post
Florida's arena has to be the most obscurely located arena in the league. Its 45 minutes away from Miami, 20ish minutes away from the 2nd biggest market Ft Lauderdale. If you stand on the west end balcony you can look out and see the everglades.

Here is a picture of how far away the Panthers arena is from......everything. There are a lot of decent sized towns near there but its so far away from the major areas.
If former Panthers owner Wayne Huizenga could get along with current Heat owner Mickey Arison, the Panthers would call American Airlines Arena home today.

The Panthers routinely sold out the Miami Arena (14,702) the 5 years they played there, and while the facility was outdated the day they moved in, that figure is still greater than what the Panthers fetch on average at the Bank Atlantic Center.

Moving to "whiter" Broward County has backfired in a most laughable fashion.

Sunrise's biggest attraction? A mall.

Miami? Well, just look up what's within 10 minutes of the AAA.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post
Why?
Hockey Day In Canada is usually a tripleheader each featuring a Western Canadian team vs an Eastern Canadian team. The best they could do in a shortened season is have an Eastern doubleheader of something like Ottawa @ Winnipeg and Toronto @ Montreal.

Old
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
Bill Daly on reluctance to end talks for the night "No reason to break off at this point. We will keep going as long as it makes sense. 1/2

Cont. "As soon as it doesn't, or it may be counterproductive, we will break off."

https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/st...39428821159936

Sounds like a determined Bill Daly.

Old
irishock
LMAO pre-90s NHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Big issues left. It's plausible the deal won't be done.

Old
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
You must have forgot about how close they were last lockout.....season got canceled...
I dont recall them being this close on issues before it got cancelled.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I am sure Fehr wants it done by Monday not because of any DOI or concern for the league, or even so that the players can play more games and earn more money, but because that is the day he has to go to court and his legal shell game collapses.
What's happening in court on Monday is really nothing more than a scheduling conference. Nothing dispositive is going to be decided. Probably won't even be discussed. That's a long way down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronrules View Post
Which is why Tampa and Florida were slotted with the Northeast division in the re-aligment. Boston, Toronto and Montreal travel well down there as well as the transplants. Florida had a good percentage increase in ticket sales for this season after last years playoffs. Of course half of those games have since been cancelled.
Not sure how much it would help us attendance-wise, since we're already at 96% capacity.

Old
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishock View Post
Big issues left. It's plausible the deal won't be done.
What are the big issues though, I know kypreos and some reporters are trying to level expecations but I read his issues, and other then pension, and being a million and half apart on the cap, I did not see anything major.

Old
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Cont. "As soon as it doesn't, or it may be counterproductive, we will break off."
Retweeted by News1130 Sports
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Quote:
3m Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
Bill Daly on reluctance to end talks for the night "No reason to break off at this point. We will keep going as long as it makes sense. 1/2
Retweeted by News1130 Sports
Expand
https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/st...39373800284160

Sounds promising.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:02 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
The season will probably start on the 19th.
Unless they reach an agreement early next week.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecrosby View Post
Florida's arena has to be the most obscurely located arena in the league. Its 45 minutes away from Miami, 20ish minutes away from the 2nd biggest market Ft Lauderdale. If you stand on the west end balcony you can look out and see the everglades.

Here is a picture of how far away the Panthers arena is from......everything. There are a lot of decent sized towns near there but its so far away from the major areas.
The problem isn't so much that the location, it's that the location is "into" the commute out of Fort Lauderdale and Dade.

When I was down there, before the big Hard Rock opened up, I would wander over to Coconut Creek every once in awhile, and if you went late afternoon (I would be in Deerfield Beach), it could be a nightmare. And that's not even halfway out to the mall/arena.

Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCapital74 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post

Sounds like a determined Bill Daly.

Some random twitter dude vs legit source....who to trust?

Old
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
They never agreed on linkage. Huge difference from last time to now. They have exact same philosophy now...just small number differences.

Closed Thread