HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What would you do if the SC Finalists were your 2 favorite teams?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
One could say that a die hard hockey fan is a fan of the game and can therefore like teams based on their style of play, legacy, etc....
When does that fan get to "die hard"? July?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
dont have a second team until quebec city comes back with a franchise.
Let's take it from here: Someone is a Nordiques-fan from 1972 to 1995, then franchise is reallocated to Colorado. Then you cheer for Avs from 1995 to 2014. Then Quebec City gets a new team. Is it totally wrong to cheer for your hometown team there?

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

<---- Avatar

Shouldn't really be that hard to follow two teams closely, especially when they're Eastern/Western teams.

I'm able to follow Carolina a lot closer, simply because of the location I'm in. But whenever I can, I watch the Wild play and would consider myself a fan of their organization.

As for what happens when they play each other, I just enjoy the fact that my two favorite teams are playing a sport I enjoy watching. I'm actually more invested in those games, simply because I can analyze the game from both sides. I know how each individual player on each team has played up to that point in the season, a luxury not afforded when Carolina/Minnesota play the other teams.

That being said, if they meet in the SCF, I'd lean toward Carolina, simply because my location allows me to experience the aftermath of the win (in terms of what happens to the city, the fans, etc).

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
If it ended up being the Blues v. the Penguins in the SCF, I would be one broke dude after that series .

I would still pull for the Pens though, cause they are my team, but would be very happy in the Blues pulled it off as well, being their first cup and all.
So in a way you'd be rooting more for St. Louis rather then Pittsburgh. Thats why this logic doesn't work. You can't root for two teams.

useref15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
I like several teams, but only love one, so it'd be easy for me. Let's go Hawks! Well, when the lockout ends.

I would like to see the Avs win again though.
Same with me but I'm a Boston fan. Funny enough Chicago is one in my like category but I would love the Bruins to stomp them out in the finals

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Karter

I'd probably start finding reasons to hate the second favorite like any good hockey fan.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:22 PM
MoreOrr
B4

First, think darn. Then start to like Vancouver a bit less.

I think I'd still have to say that the Canucks are my 2nd favorite team; but now it's by a bit, not by a lot. The Hurricanes now are a close 3rd. The Blues then 4th.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

I'm a Devils fan, but also have a fondness for the Hawks, since I used to watch them play when I was visiting family there as a kid. The Hawks Cup was great because not only did they win and end a long drought, but they beat the Flyers (who had eliminated the Devils) doing it. If the two met in a finals, I would be 100% for the Devils, but it wouldn't be a mortally hate the opponent kind of thing.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Raider917

i only like one team and hate all the others

Raider917 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:19 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

I had to think about this for a bit. (I'm born/raised in Toronto and the Hawks are my #1 team and the Leafs are my #2 team).

If the match up b/w the Hawks/Leafs were with the Leafs still winless since 67 I'd have to go w/ the Leafs easy...the Hawks won in '10.

If the match up b/w the Hawks/Leafs were after the Leafs having won the cup more recently...i'm going to go with the bad answer and say 'i dunno'. maybe the hawks. it depends. not sure

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

I'm not equally as passionate about two different teams. That's why I haven't stuck with the Avs as my second favorite since Roy, Sakic, etc have been gone as I said earlier in the thread. With the Devils I can watch the team 25+ years later with different players cause they're my team. That's where my allegiance lies. With a second favorite team the attachment isn't there. Though Ilya Kovalchuk sure beats the hell out of Aaron Broten!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
I had acquired a second team in 2004, the Lightning. I was all into it all playoffs and obviously came out with the win. My Penguins sucked at that time so it was quite nice. Now i can only say that i have no second team, only some that i dont dislike as much, such as most western teams. Last love of Lightning was lost in the 2011 first round i'm afraid.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:24 AM
tuozzi

It's kinda interesting to see so many people with "second favourites". All the hockey fans I know in Finland have there favourite team and then varying degrees of loathing towards the others..

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:16 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Why the **** would anyone have two favourite teams? Pick one and stick with it, God Dammit! Don't be so wishy washy.
Amen.

It's the Pens or nothing for me.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
When does that fan get to "die hard"? July?
why you heff to be mad? Don't be a fundamentalist. A fan of the game > a fan of a particular team.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Let's put it this way, if team Canada were to meet the Oilers in some fantasy match up I would root for the Oilers 100% no questions asked. Oilers ainec.

In the NHL It would be Oilers vs Flyers/Islanders

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Im a Blues fan first and foremost, I have teams I root for in the East but Blues will always be my number one

Also, if one of those teams beat the Blues in the finals I would probably start to hate that team.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Leafs over preds. No Qs asked

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:19 PM
HFX902

only one favorite team!

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
be not quite as pissed off as usual when the Canes lose the series?

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
IMO, if someone has 2 favorite teams, they aren't a true fan. Maybe a die hard hockey fan, but not a true fan of either team.
What a load of crap. I was born in Toronto, followed and fell in love with the Thrashers from 1999 onwards, and moved to Edmonton in 2005. The Thrashers moved to Winnipeg last year, as everybody already knows.

The Jets, as the team I have closely followed and loved (I own 5 jerseys from the Jets and Thrashers alone, and probably well over 10-15 tshirts that I wear on a regular basis), are my number one by a long shot. The Oilers, as my hometown team, and the team I see live on a regular basis, are number two, and the Leafs, as the team I grew up watching and the team in my birthplace, are number three.

I'm a bigger hockey fan than you are. I can guarantee that. I basically live and breathe hockey. So just shut up with this crap.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
lboogie42*

i love the devils more then any other team so i would have no problem not rooting for my other fav team. heck, id prolly start hating them if they beat the devils.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
What a load of crap. I was born in Toronto, followed and fell in love with the Thrashers from 1999 onwards, and moved to Edmonton in 2005. The Thrashers moved to Winnipeg last year, as everybody already knows.

The Jets, as the team I have closely followed and loved (I own 5 jerseys from the Jets and Thrashers alone, and probably well over 10-15 tshirts that I wear on a regular basis), are my number one by a long shot. The Oilers, as my hometown team, and the team I see live on a regular basis, are number two, and the Leafs, as the team I grew up watching and the team in my birthplace, are number three.

I'm a bigger hockey fan than you are. I can guarantee that. I basically live and breathe hockey. So just shut up with this crap.
Calm down. He likely means that if you have 2 equal favorites (i.e. your allegiance is split 50/50), you aren't a real fan of either team. I tend to agree.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

After giving this some really deep thought, I think I'd be shocked that the Pittsburgh Steelers won the East but that the Canucks would surely beat them.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:49 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
why you heff to be mad? Don't be a fundamentalist. A fan of the game > a fan of a particular team.
That's fine if it your opinion, but it really has nothing to do with what I said. What the heck is a "die-hard fan" to you? Break it down word by word. You can't die hard if you have a back up plan. Perhaps an "oft-disappointed" fan.