HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If Sauer Was Healthy During Last Season's Playoffs

Old
11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Girardi and Del Zotto were on the ice for that goal.

Facts are useful.
I was just going by video and I couldn't tell if it was Girardi or Bickel. Regardless, Bickel's lack of playing time hurt the whole defense, including Girardi by overworking their minutes.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:55 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
I think it does help as it would have cut down on the minutes of McD/Girardi/Staal.

The other thing that would have helped was picking up Brian Rolston off waivers and using him on the 4th line and as a trigger man on the PP.

But that's all over with, hopefully he can comeback as it's been almost 11 months since that nasty hit.

Even with Nash, the Rangers are still missing a piece or two. Sauer is one and they still need one more goal scorer. Jesper Fasth is that wildcard. He comes in next year and can score 20+ goals, he puts them over the top.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I think it does help as it would have cut down on the minutes of McD/Girardi/Staal.

The other thing that would have helped was picking up Brian Rolston off waivers and using him on the 4th line and as a trigger man on the PP.

But that's all over with, hopefully he can comeback as it's been almost 11 months since that nasty hit.

Even with Nash, the Rangers are still missing a piece or two. Sauer is one and they still need one more goal scorer. Jesper Fasth is that wildcard. He comes in next year and can score 20+ goals, he puts them over the top.
I agree that the Rangers could address some depth issues.

I strongly disagree that Brian Rolston and Jesper Fasth are recent or current answers.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:09 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree that the Rangers could address some depth issues.

I strongly disagree that Brian Rolston and Jesper Fasth are recent or current answers.
I was in the minority with the Rolston thing from last season but he was on waivers and I know he was older than the sun, skates like molasses, and didn't have any jam but I take his three points in 7 playoff games and used solely on the PP over Bickel or Emminger as a 4th line winger.

Jean, Miller, and Lindberg all will challenge for 3rd and 4h line minutes in 2013-14 so that leaves Fasth, Thomas, and St. Croix battling for 2nd to 3rd line spot. I'm not saying he'll be ready but he could put them over the top.

On D, hopefully Sauer can return but if not they need to sign a UFA. Douglas Murray would be good but he's gonna be $$$$.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i still don't think our problem was D. sure it 'may have' helped, but i'd rather a healthy gaborik over a healthy sauer strictly speaking about those playoffs

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:22 AM
GarretJoseph

If Sauer was healthy last year we would have won the stanley cup and the NHL wouldn't be locked out right now either. That's how much of an impact he would have made. Seriously.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
If Sauer was healthy last year we would have won the stanley cup and the NHL wouldn't be locked out right now either. That's how much of an impact he would have made. Seriously.
Thanks for the sarcasm but anyone who knows the game realizes that we lost to the Devils because they forechecked us to death. If we had another strong defensive defenseman in the lineup throughout the playoffs our D would have been much better equipped to handle that forecheck and chances are we win the series. Beating the Kings is another story, but it's stupid to downplay the impact Sauer likely would have had on our playoff fortunes, unless of course you became a Ranger fan last week and have no idea how good a player Mike is.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
If Sauer was healthy, do you think he would have made a difference in where the Rangers ended up?
Yeah, potentially. I remember commenting on that our D's a few times against NJ kind of broke down. Especially in G2 IIRC.

There were a couple of games there when NJD just seemed to have all kind of room in our defensive zone. They were able to get in the face of Hank and scored several goals of deflections, rebounds etc. While at the other side of the rink, things were extremely crowed infront of Marty -- as up until this point had been the case in our zone too -- and it seemed like shots never made it even halfway to the net and so forth.

Its something you don't often think about, if someone cough up the puck and a goal is scored its noted by everyone. But in this case our forwards all of a sudden didn't quite get into the shooting lanes and our D's wasn't really riding the NJD forwards defensviely. McD, Girardi and Staal had been forced to play really hard for a long time, neither is really that experienced, which could explain the situation that occured. Another D like Sauer potentially could have helped there...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:26 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Thanks for the sarcasm but anyone who knows the game realizes that we lost to the Devils because they forechecked us to death. If we had another strong defensive defenseman in the lineup throughout the playoffs our D would have been much better equipped to handle that forecheck and chances are we win the series. Beating the Kings is another story, but it's stupid to downplay the impact Sauer likely would have had on our playoff fortunes, unless of course you became a Ranger fan last week and have no idea how good a player Mike is.
Sauer would have made a HUGE difference. He is a physical defenseman. He is very smart as well in his own end. He would've been able to endure the forecheck the devils put on as well as the capitals and senators, though the latter teams were to a lesser extent.

But it's not even that. It's the human nature aspect of it all. We had two 7 game series. Torts began to sit Bickel and go with 5 defensemen in the Washington series. The team simply wore down. They were getting beat to loose pucks. I'm not going to get all that crazy in this "theory" but even on the game winner by Henrique in game 6, it was a loose puck that he put home because we couldn't react quick enough. Not to mention the 5 on the ice were a step behind on that play. When you are tired physically, mentally you slow down as well. We all know this. Torts didn't trust Bickel otherwise he would've been out there. Bickel cost us a couple goals in the playoffs. Sauer doesn't make many mistakes and he would've been out there.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Sauer would've made a difference, especially in the pivotal game 5, where Jersey's 4th line grinded the Rangers into submission.

Still dont think we would've won the series - Mike Sauer wasnt going to help with offensive woes that were omnipresent throughout the entire playoff run.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Thanks for the sarcasm but anyone who knows the game realizes that we lost to the Devils because they forechecked us to death. If we had another strong defensive defenseman in the lineup throughout the playoffs our D would have been much better equipped to handle that forecheck and chances are we win the series.
That was part of the problem. The fact that the Rangers struggled to score goals was a bigger reason because that accounted for the biggest issue they went to a 7th game in the previous two series. Sauer would not have helped there. And not having Sauer doesn't explain why they had some many problems establishing a presence and possession in the offensive zone.

The team won an amazingly large amount of one-goal games. A mathematically freaky amount. The math righted itself in the playoffs. No one player could have changed that.

11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

A healthy Gaborik and MDZ's grandmother not dying would've helped us far more (not to sound insensitive on that second part).

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
mschmidt64

The good news is that for as much as everything gelled at the right time for this team last year, which allowed us to get deep into the playoffs, we are not even at our peak yet. We've gotten better in the offseason with the acquisition of Nash and the further development of our young players. Dubinski and AA had maxxed out, most likely, and so they won't be missed just as soon as other young guys come down the pipeline such as Miller, Lindberg, and Fasth.

That could be this year or in future years. We are primed to be a strong cup contender for a while. And with Nash in the fold, even if we lose Gaborik, we have the assets to make another trade for a top line forward if we have to. Plus with Kreider and Stepan developing, and with the young defensive core and a dominant Lunquist, we are in good shape.

If a healthy Sauer comes back, well, we are gonna be just a very, very tough team to beat in a 7 game series.

It should be us and Pittsburgh at the top of the east for a few years.

Frankly my biggest concern is that the cap screws us.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
free0717

Does anyone have any updates on his progress or lack of?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

A healthy Sauer would have meant a really good bottom pair and no Bickel.

Yeah, maybe.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Does anyone have any updates on his progress or lack of?
There haven't been any updates for months.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

A healthy Steve Eminger would have been a big help. He struggled to get going but would have been a solid 6th dman instead of Bickel I'm expecting him to be much better if we play this year

Sauer forget it he's done if its not this concussion it will be the next one or a shoulder or hip or something always has been with him. His healthy year was the actual fluke guy never has stayed healthy ever.

More importantly if we starte jan 19th would Gaborik be ready to go? Initial thought was he'd join us in december

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Krams
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
More importantly if we starte jan 19th would Gaborik be ready to go? Initial thought was he'd join us in december
IIRC, Brooks did report that Gaborik would be healthy and ready to start the season should it begin later next month.

Edit: it was Pat Leonard, not Brooks. http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...y-rangers-if-n

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Vitto79

Basically all the other Dmen would of been well rested. Going with only 5 for most of the minutes must of hurt. Its funny how they still brought back Bickel and Eminger after they showed no trust in them but I guess everyone needs cheaper depth players.

On the other hand Stralman did well in his time and scored some big playoff goals. He may not have gotten all that time with Sauer healthy. REALLY hope this guy can get healthy and contribute this yr

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Bring Back Avery

Sauer would've helped with him being a more reliable D-man, but I think the bigger problem is Torts not using 4 lines. ALL of our guys were burned out because our 4th liners were only getting 5 mins a game. Meanwhile, the Devils were rolling 4 lines with their 4th line getting around 10 mins per game. That extra rest really would've helped our guys out. In todays NHL you need to roll 4 lines of offense and 3 lines of D...consistently.

Bring Back Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:08 AM
chosen

Every team has injuries come playoff time. Singling out Sauer as a difference maker makes no sense because the team excelled without him for quite some time.

Would he have helped? Sure. Would other teams have benefited from some of their guys being healthy?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:42 AM
bathgate

Brooks reports Sauer will be out the whole year with post concussion syndrome. Up to his injury, I thought he was our best right handed defenseman.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Pizza

It's down to this is it?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I hope he can come back at some point once he's healthy again.

Stepan, Dubinsky and Hagelin going MIA from the goal scoring department was the bigger problem in the playoffs.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Lundsanity30

Lebrun tweeted that NHL have both 48 and 50 game schedules drawn up.

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote