HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Jersey Devils Defense

Old
01-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Mgd31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Our D is pretty set at the moment. If Gelinas or Merrill aren't ready to step in next year I hope Zids is signed for another year as we need an offense guy. So buy the time Salvador, Tallinder, Volchenkov are stepping out, guys like Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Urbom and maybe a few surprises will already be knocking on the door. So we may not have have to bring guys in from the outside.

It's not as if half our D is UFA next year.

I don't get why everyone is so keen to have Zids leave if he keeps up his play from last year. People say it's to give our young guys a chance, the only guy we have close to Zids mould is Gelinas. We really need a offense guy. Larsson isn't going to give you that.
Yea that's why I'd like to keep a guy like Zids for another year.

Mgd31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
I dunno, Larsson looks pretty excellent offensively in the AHL right now.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:33 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I dunno, Larsson looks pretty excellent offensively in the AHL right now.
But he is not on Zids level. Larsson is always going to be an all around guy. You need a wild card guy like Zids to create something not in the playbook.

kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Sal and Volch played surprisingly well together
I didn't care for that pairing except on the PK. They got pinned in our zone way too much because neither of them is very good at the breakout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Merrill - Larsson
Gelinas - Severson
Urbom - Scarlett

What are the chances of ever seeing this lineup?
Low. They won't all pan out, and we'll always have a few veteran players ahead of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
As you say I just hope the high end guys pan out. Merrill - Larsson, then hopefully Gelinas offense translates to the NHL. Then you can almost pencil in Urbom or Severson. Added to Fayne and you've got a pretty solid home grown core.
I am confident about that top pairing. Both Larsson and Merrill are likely to be impact defencemen at the NHL level. I think Gelinas will make it, and I have high hopes for Severson too. Urbom might get caught in the shuffle. I just hope we trade some of them instead of letting them bust without getting a return.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:58 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Merrill - Larsson
Gelinas - Severson
Urbom - Scarlett

What are the chances of ever seeing this lineup?
0%. I doubt there is any team the last 20 years to have a defense composed of all home grown talent

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
0%. I doubt there is any team the last 20 years to have a defense composed of all home grown talent
Yup, and to top it off unless that is a projected lineup in 8-10 years then no thanks. TOO much INEXPERIENCE! Way too much. Maybe add someone like Andy Greene in there. Remember how bad the D looked when there was too much inexperience at certain times in the last 5 years?

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yup, and to top it off unless that is a projected lineup in 8-10 years then no thanks. TOO much INEXPERIENCE! Way too much. Maybe add someone like Andy Greene in there. Remember how bad the D looked when there was too much inexperience at certain times in the last 5 years?
Fayne should be there. And Greene, probably.

Powerplay - Merrill
Mobile - Severson/Urbom/Gelinas
Mobile - Greene
Mobile - Fayne
Shutdown - Larsson
Physical - ?
Reserve - ?

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post

Powerplay - Merrill
Mobile - Greene
Mobile - Fayne
Shutdown - Larsson
Physical - ?
Reserve - ?
Hope Fayne will be there. By the time most of those guys come up he'll have quite a few years more experience than everyone else. I'm kinda bummed he only signed for 2 years which will take him right into unrestricted free agency.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
HeliDevil
Ride the Schneid

Does anyone believe Harrold will get legit playing time this season? IF there's a season.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:42 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Does anyone believe Harrold will get legit playing time this season? IF there's a season.
Not without a trade, an injury, or a dismal performance. He's #8 on our depth chart right now.

Kind of curious why he isn't playing in the AHL right now. Is he inelgible?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
HeliDevil
Ride the Schneid

I liked what he did for us in the playoffs. We do have a logjam but I'd like to see him get a shot.

And yes, he's 29 so I believe he's ineligible. I think it goes by age but I could be wrong.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:52 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
I liked what he did for us in the playoffs. We do have a logjam but I'd like to see him get a shot.

And yes, he's 29 so I believe he's ineligible. I think it goes by age but I could be wrong.
It's not by age. Wade Redden is down there and he's 35. It has to do with roster lists at a certain date. Harrold played some time down there last year so I'm not sure why he wouldn't be allowed to be there this year. Unless it has to do with him signing a new contract this offseason which could be a one-way.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
It's not by age. Wade Redden is down there and he's 35. It has to do with roster lists at a certain date. Harrold played some time down there last year so I'm not sure why he wouldn't be allowed to be there this year. Unless it has to do with him signing a new contract this offseason which could be a one-way.
Wade Redden's been locked out with the NHL guys. I actually didn't know that until recently. So he's not playing for Connecticut right now. They could have signed Harrold like they did Gio, but with all the defensemen up there I guess there was no reason. Whereas Albany needs more offense especially with Henrique going down so Gio fits in good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tedenby play with Gionta. They scored 2 goals tonight between the two of them though I think this was one of their better games. I think Tedenby will get a chance at least until Henrique is back.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Wade Redden's been locked out with the NHL guys. I actually didn't know that until recently. So he's not playing for Connecticut right now. They could have signed Harrold like they did Gio, but with all the defensemen up there I guess there was no reason. Whereas Albany needs more offense especially with Henrique going down so Gio fits in good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tedenby play with Gionta. They scored 2 goals tonight between the two of them though I think this was one of their better games. I think Tedenby will get a chance at least until Henrique is back.
Not to derail thread but I really hope Tedenby finds his game. Have always liked him

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
apice3*

Quote:

Tedenby might get a chance regardless. We lost Parise, Poni, Sykora, and Boulton and we only signed Barch. With Henrique hurt, we're short 4 forwards. Butler and Tedenby have their chance. This might be the last one for Tedenby.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Tedenby might get a chance regardless. We lost Parise, Poni, Sykora, and Boulton and we only signed Barch. With Henrique hurt, we're short 4 forwards. Butler and Tedenby have their chance. This might be the last one for Tedenby.
My biggest concern since we signed Barch, and Janssen, and Salvador with the 8 D men is this. If no one is on LTIR We'll only be able to carry 13 forwards instead of 14 with the 8 defensemen.

Kovy, Zajac, Zubrus, Patty,Henrique, Clarkson, Josefson, Tedenby, Butler, Gio, Carter, Bernier, Barch, Janssen.

That's 14 forwards if healthy, but if all healthy we can't carry that with 8 defensemen unless you count Harrold as a forward.You think Janssen will go to Albany? I do not. He should because he's on a two way. I've been saying this for months. I'm not a Tedenby fan, but if he's in Albany, and Janssen is in the NHL I'll be pissed.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Did Sykora sign somewhere else or is he waiting?

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Did Sykora sign somewhere else or is he waiting?
If I wasn't on this crappy computer right now I'd send you the link. He spoke with Tom Gulitti about wanting to return to the Devils back in September, but was never offered a contract. Though he did say other teams gave offers. He said he wanted to wait to see if the Devils would sign him. He said if the lockout isn't over by Christmas he'd sign in Europe, but would have to finish the year there as he has no NHL contract to play anywhere this year. Haven't heard of him signing anywhere overseas yet.

Surprised Lou didn't bring him back. He really wanted to be with us unlike someone else. He was great in the regular season. Surprising considering some of the guys we've kept around in the past that we should have parted ways with. Guys who we kept long enough, and overpaid to turn out to see them become bums, and in some cases bought out. I don't need to say any names. We know who they were.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post

Powerplay - Merrill
Mobile - Greene
Mobile - Fayne
Shutdown - Larsson
Physical - ?
Reserve - ?
I think Larsson fits more as one of the mobile guys. Fayne is a positional shutdown defender more than he is a puckmover. Urbom could also fit the physical role if he is encouraged to use his size more.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Parise9Crosby87

yeah i was also wondering the same about harrold not playing in the ahl

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:25 AM
apice3*

Quote:
My biggest concern since we signed Barch, and Janssen, and Salvador with the 8 D men is this. If no one is on LTIR We'll only be able to carry 13 forwards instead of 14 with the 8 defensemen.

Kovy, Zajac, Zubrus, Patty,Henrique, Clarkson, Josefson, Tedenby, Butler, Gio, Carter, Bernier, Barch, Janssen.

That's 14 forwards if healthy, but if all healthy we can't carry that with 8 defensemen unless you count Harrold as a forward.You think Janssen will go to Albany? I do not. He should because he's on a two way. I've been saying this for months. I'm not a Tedenby fan, but if he's in Albany, and Janssen is in the NHL I'll be pissed.
Money management says Tedenby or Butler will be in Albany. I just think Lou will swing some kind of trade.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
tycobb

I don't see how we don't make a trade with our defenseman. One of the below players has to sit and they are all 2nd pairing quality.

Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Tallinder, Salvador, Greene, Fayne, and Larsson.

Maybe we can get a RW for Tallinder to play with Kovy.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 802
gotta make the team through compressed camp first...

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:51 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Detroit is looking for help on the blueline. I would love for us to swing a deal with them and land Filppula somehow or even Franzen. I've always been a big Franzen supporter and no one can deny the fact that he's close to "pepe Lemieux" standards when it comes to being Mister clutch during the postseason.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
CerebralGenesis

good luck landing franzen

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote