HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Junior Site Selection

Old
01-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Bojyea

vCash: 500
World Junior Site Selection

I was just wondering how the IIHF goes about selecting the site of the world junior championships. Here in eastern PA we're in the midst of getting a brand new arena in Allentown for the Phantoms and we have other very nice rinks in Hershey (Bears) and up in Wilkes-barre(Penguins).

Bojyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Xokkeu

In the US it will be near the Canadian border no matter what.

Not taking arena issues into account I'd say Seattle/Everett. Detroit, Buffalo, Fargo/GrandForks are the main spots. I could even see Burlington although Vermont's arena is probably too small. Boston will an outside chance but still a bit far away.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Bojyea

soooo...how does a place like ufa russia get it....that rink looked kinda dumpy from the pics I have seen

Old
01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojyea View Post
soooo...how does a place like ufa russia get it....that rink looked kinda dumpy from the pics I have seen
Because the tournament can't be played in Canada every year and there are no cities in Russia within easy driving distance of Canada.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
timekeep

How about Colorado for a spot similar to Boston, not close to the Canadian border.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
timekeep

It might not need to be in Canada as much now, after seeing all the advertising on the rink boards and ice. TSN is paying for the broadcast rights. As long as they keep selling complete tournament packages that include all games and go to individual games, it should be success. I know it would be more successful in Canada though.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Bojyea

what about the other world junior championships(ie u17), are they more likely to be played in smaller cities??(i didn't realize before looking it up that Ufa has a population of over 1million....)

Old
01-05-2013, 08:38 PM
timekeep

Quote:
what about the other world junior championships(ie u17), are they more likely to be played in smaller cities??(i didn't realize before looking it up that Ufa has a population of over 1million....)
U17 is a Hockey Canada tournament, not an IIHF responsibility. Thats my understanding anyways.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
That's not an IIHF event. That's a Hockey Canada event.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
How about Colorado for a spot similar to Boston, not close to the Canadian border.
I don't know why the IIHF would go away from Canada.

You can sell out NHL arenas at NHL ticket prices. We are talking around a $1million per game vs ~$20k per game in Ufa.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:47 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I don't know why the IIHF would go away from Canada.

You can sell out NHL arenas at NHL ticket prices. We are talking around a $1million per game vs ~$20k per game in Ufa.
They would probably like to keep it in Canada for the money, but how fair is it to the Euro nations always have to travel and incur the extra costs. If IIHF has to compensate the other countries then it will take away from the profits. And if Canada was to go another run of Gold medals then there would be the home ice advantage. Don't know if the other countries care if the IIHF makes lots of money off of it or not.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
They would probably like to keep it in Canada for the money, but how fair is it to the Euro nations always have to travel and incur the extra costs. If IIHF has to compensate the other countries then it will take away from the profits. And if Canada was to go another run of Gold medals then there would be the home ice advantage. Don't know if the other countries care if the IIHF makes lots of money off of it or not.
I was specifically referring to tournaments hosted in the US. They will host them close to Canada, because Canadians buy more expensive tickets.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I was specifically referring to tournaments hosted in the US. They will host them close to Canada, because Canadians buy more expensive tickets.
Thats true. I hope that they continue in the US though as we need to grow the sport the most there. USA being successful helps too, unfortunately you can't predict that. I think it would be a success in Colorado and Boston. Has Minneapolis ever held it?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Hanji

A federation must bid to host the event. The IIHF votes and awards the event to a federation.

The winning federation then decides the location of the tournament.

For example, the IIHF awarded the 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021 WJC to Hockey Canada. It's up to Hockey Canada to decide a bidding process for host communities.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
thats true. I hope that they continue in the us though as we need to grow the sport the most there. Usa being successful helps too, unfortunately you can't predict that. I think it would be a success in colorado and boston. Has minneapolis ever held it?

Boston also hosted in 1996 and it was a disaster attendance wise.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Statsy

Quote:
My understanding of it is that Hockey Canada pays for the travel costs for the other nations when Canada hosts the tournament.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:34 AM
jekoh

Quote:
They would probably like to keep it in Canada for the money, but how fair is it to the Euro nations always have to travel and incur the extra costs.
Who is "they"?
As long as there is another bid (which isn't always the case, far from it), the European federations have every opportunity to vote against it being held in Canada.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:54 AM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Who is "they"?
As long as there is another bid (which isn't always the case, far from it), the European federations have every opportunity to vote against it being held in Canada.
"They" is the IIHF, who clean up big time when Canada hosts a WJC.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:24 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
"They" is the IIHF,
The poster made it sound like "the IIHF" and "the European nations" (or federations) were two entirely different groups of people, with the latter having little or no say in the former's decisions.

In the reality it is largely the same people: the European federations, along with the NA federations and others, are the ones that make up "the IIHF" and thus decide where the championships will be held.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:32 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I think Detroit has a great chance the next time they role through the US process. Will have a brand new arena in Detroit, tons of other local options as far as a second site. Assuming they don't get rid of Joe Louis arena and I don't know their plans they could have two 18,000 to 20,000 seat arenas. There is also the Compuware center where the OHL Whalers play in the suburbs. Wonder also if they would ever consider doing it with Windsor, although I am sure hockey USA would probably not like that idea.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:54 AM
KRM

For 2014 the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation had open biding for the event by individual cities and co-hosting cities. The ruled them out one by one until only Gothenburg and Malmö were left and then Gothenburg pulled their bid.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
dumpy? you mean the second rink? clearly better than the back-up rink in Buffalo by 1000 miles

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Orange Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
A federation must bid to host the event. The IIHF votes and awards the event to a federation.

The winning federation then decides the location of the tournament.

For example, the IIHF awarded the 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021 WJC to Hockey Canada. It's up to Hockey Canada to decide a bidding process for host communities.
I hope it returns to Ottawa one of those years!

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
dumpy? you mean the second rink? clearly better than the back-up rink in Buffalo by 1000 miles
And Buffalo's primary arena was 1000 times better than Ufa's. What's your point?

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Mr Writer

2015 look for it in Montreal/Quebec City. Imagine the Bell Center and 21,000 screaming fans for the gold medal game. Lets hope Canada is playing in it. It will be Connor McDavid's draft year.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote