HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Teravainen vs Gaudreau

Old
01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
My point wasn't that anything Gaudreau's done/won means suddenly he's a sure fire NHLer I'm well aware that for every Paul Kariya there are 5+ "Marty Sertich"s

It's the rep he seem to be getting as a streaky or limited viewing only player when he's been playing at a very high level consistently. He's doing everything you can ask of him and showing he's a legitimate prospect rather than a long-shot 4th round throw away pick.

He'll always have more questions about the next level than TT until he produces in the NHL (if that ever happens). But right now he is doing everything that can be asked of him.
yes to expect he will be a quality prospect, not a top tier prospect. People should have known he was a good prospect before the WJC. The WJC wouldnt convince me hes a top tier prospect like TT is. But hes still a quality prospect

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The heights are from Wikipedia and hockey db. On both JG is listed as 5'6, also to lazy to search cases exactly like JG. The main point was that small skilled forwards that did well and won awards in NCAA dont always transition extremely well
Both are wrong as I said JG was just measured at 5'9

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

vCash: 50
Quote:
The heights are from Wikipedia and hockey db. On both JG is listed as 5'6, also to lazy to search cases exactly like JG. The main point was that small skilled forwards that did well and won awards in NCAA dont always transition extremely well
Or you can just see from the MOST recent picture you can get from Gaudreau above and see he's not that short of Gibson who's listed as 6'3"

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Or you can just see from the MOST recent picture you can get from Gaudreau above and see he's not that short of Gibson who's listed as 6'3"
Or from watching the games and seeing how small he is. He is also listed as 5'8 on the BC eagles website. Those other two guys were measured in at 5'8. Do I believe JG is 5'9? no way. But lets say he is. Its a one inch difference, all 3 are small skilled players.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Or from watching the games and seeing how small he is. He is also listed as 5'8 on the BC eagles website. Those other two guys were measured in at 5'8. Do I believe JG is 5'9? no way. But lets say he is. Its a one inch difference, all 3 are small skilled players.
Both won the Baker at 22 not 19 like JG would huge difference.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:11 PM
dss97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Not as measured at Calgary's prospect camp and he was measured as 5'8 at Boston last year.
They usually add an inch or two for very short players.

Him and Grimaldi were noticeably shorter than the other players on USA, even shorter than Bardreau who might not actually be 5'10.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Both won the Baker at 22 not 19 like JG would huge difference.
Small skilled forwards that have success in NCAA have trouble translating it to future success is my argument, the 2 were the easiest examples because im too lazy to argue. Not bashing JG. Just tempering expectation so people are suprised when he doesnt become the next patrick kane

Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 200
Quote:
yes to expect he will be a quality prospect, not a top tier prospect. People should have known he was a good prospect before the WJC. The WJC wouldnt convince me hes a top tier prospect like TT is. But hes still a quality prospect
top tier is a pretty interesting claim for TT would you have him as a top 20 prospect?

I did not see his name mentioned in the top 15 thread. He's another will it translate player lacking some size (not nearly the body of JG but he's not a 6+ foot player either). Obviously when drafted scouts thought he had a better chance than Gaudreau in his draft year (Though the Flames brass seems to be saying Johnny could compete with Pros in the AHL right now).

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:32 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Who is 5'6? JG is 5'9
HockeyDB giving me some old info. I'll stick with the sentiment of my post.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Honestly I think alot of people are putting too much stock into the WJ and NCAA stats for Gaudreau. At the NCAA and WJ level size doesn't really affect a player as much as in the pro game.

I would take Tuevo easily. He's playing in the Finnish mens league against much tougher competition, probably with less ice time/opportunity and still has decent numbers.

Gaudreau looks like a poor man's Pat Kane, but I don't think he has the same upside, I would say a top 6 forward, but I wouldn't go as far to say he has surefire 1st line potential.

His defensive game needs work,n he will need to add more strength and I don't think he is quite the skater Kane was/is or St.Louis for that matter.

he is crafty like those two, is great at freezing the opposition but I doubt he will be able to have the same dominance in the AHL or NHL, cause he isn't as adept defensively.

For example I relate it to Jordan Schroeder, JS had a great NCAA/WJ career (All time leading scorer for the USA, and he only played in 2 not 3)

But at the pro game he has had his struggles early on, but last year & this year he has really improved and has earned his NHL shot, so he has overcome his size issue like Gaudreau will have to but the thing he has over Gaudreau is he was/is alot stronger physically and he also is a better defensive player.

Not trying to rain on the parade cause I'm a Cauncks fan (Cause I try not to hold a bias when assessing prospects) but he does have things to overcome in order to make it, I wouldn't too much stock into the WJ other than to say that he does have great offensive skill.

Hopefully he does develop into something good though, personally I like seeing smaller player do well in the NHL.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

vCash: 50
Schroeder has not "overcome" his size issue since he hasn't sniffed at the NHL yet, but perhaps soon.

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Schroeder has not "overcome" his size issue since he hasn't sniffed at the NHL yet, but perhaps soon.
I would say he has, Managment and the Coaching staff told Schroeder at the year end meetings that he had earned himself a call up later last season, we just couldn't do it at the time.

If the season starts he will be in the NHL, and has been playing great in the AHL, probably our most consistent forward on a Wolves team that has been pretty bad lately. And he currently has 5 Points in his last 5 games.

Seems to me he has overcome it in the AHL, and has earned himself a call up, just gotta wait and see what he can do.

You guys just have to hope Gaudreau can go to the AHL and do the same.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Not disagreeing that St. Louis is built but he is only 175 pounds and 5'8, JG is 155 and 5'9 in a few years he could easily be 175 pounds.
John Gaudreau is not 5"9... no way he grew 3 inches since the draft day.

he is 5"6 at best on skates he looks shorter than Rocco Grimaldi out there.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:46 PM
CP31

Quote:

Better player now: Close but TT
More potential: Easily TT
Better WJC so will be hyped more:JG
Exactly my thoughts.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:20 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Exactly my thoughts.
Your thoughts agree that JG had a better WJC than TT. What is that based on? It can't be statistics because TT was better overall statistically.

The goals/assists/points have already been examined and JG's 7g/2a/9points are at best even with TT's 5g/6a/11points, and JG and USA played 7 games to TT and Finland's 6 games.

But even more statistical analysis shows JG was a +2 on a USA team that was +25 for the tourney, while TT was +6 on a Finland team that was +17. Eight other USA forwards had better than JG's +2. On the other hand, TT's +6 was the best +/- on Team Finland. SOG - TT had 33 shots on goal in his 6 games, second in the tourney only to Grigorenko's 36 shots on goal in Russia's 7 games. JG had 24 shots on goal in 7 games. And a last stat for consideration - TT took (1) 2-minute penalty, while JG took (2) 2-minute penalties.

All that said - I like JG and as an American was very happy that he and the team played so well. But asked to choose between JG and TT - it's TT in every respect.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:39 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Your thoughts agree that JG had a better WJC than TT. What is that based on? It can't be statistics because TT was better overall statistically.

The goals/assists/points have already been examined and JG's 7g/2a/9points are at best even with TT's 5g/6a/11points, and JG and USA played 7 games to TT and Finland's 6 games.

But even more statistical analysis shows JG was a +2 on a USA team that was +25 for the tourney, while TT was +6 on a Finland team that was +17. Eight other USA forwards had better than JG's +2. On the other hand, TT's +6 was the best +/- on Team Finland. SOG - TT had 33 shots on goal in his 6 games, second in the tourney only to Grigorenko's 36 shots on goal in Russia's 7 games. JG had 24 shots on goal in 7 games. And a last stat for consideration - TT took (1) 2-minute penalty, while JG took (2) 2-minute penalties.

All that said - I like JG and as an American was very happy that he and the team played so well. But asked to choose between JG and TT - it's TT in every respect.
I was saying JG had a better WJC in many eyes from his performance against Canada and also winning the gold so hes gunna be hyped more cause of it. TT had himself a very solid campaign as well

Old
01-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
I disagree I think JG has 1st line potential and TT is more of a 2nd line player. I am not saying TT is bad I think he is real good but I think JG has more skill.
Nice pic bud

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

Well, I can spin things too.

Teuvo Teravainen
- Recorded 64% of his points in the tournament during the relegation round (7).
- Was not the top point producing forward on his team (11).
- Team finished 7th place.

John Gaudreau
- Recorded 100% of his points in elimination games (9)
- Was the go to offensive threat upfront on the best team in the tournament
- Led the tournament in goals (7), tied for team lead in points (9).
- Named to tournament first all star team
- Team finished 1st.

I don't know about you, but I think it is easy to see which player had the stronger tournament.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:00 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Gaudreau is smarter player. higher upside and.better currently.

teuvo is safer but not as skilled.
?Really?

As like a 17 year old he was playing against men, because he is very shifty and way ahead of his years in regards to offensive talent.

Teravainen is a smarter player and is the closest clone to Kane offensively as I have seen in awhile.
He has that Nuge like way of thinking the game ahead of time, he will be the better player, hence the reason TT was drafted first round.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
John Gaudreau is not 5"9... no way he grew 3 inches since the draft day.

he is 5"6 at best on skates he looks shorter than Rocco Grimaldi out there.
Gaudreau is not 5'6
Nice troll idiot.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:52 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 210
The new shiny toy rocks the boat again.

Teravainen.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
The new shiny toy rocks the boat again.

Teravainen.

Might want to take a look at Gaudreau's season last year.

Oilers fan.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot91 View Post
Might want to take a look at Gaudreau's season last year.

Oilers fan.
Gaudreau is playing in Collage where size is no issue, Taravienen is playing the Finnish men's league.

He's got a point with the shiny toy thing, Taravienen is the better one atm.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Beerfest*

USHL All-Star Game

All-USHL Second Team

USHL Clark Cup Champion

USHL "Rookie of the Year" 20102011

NCAA Boston College Eagles "Beanpot MVP" 2012

NCAA Boston College Eagles Hockey East all-tournament team

Bill Flynn Trophy Hockey East Most Valuable Player

2011-2012 - Boston College

44 games played - 21 goals, 23 assists - 44 points

Named to World Juniors 2012-2013 All-Star Team

Old
01-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Gaudreau is playing in Collage where size is no issue, Taravienen is playing the Finnish men's league.

He's got a point with the shiny toy thing, Taravienen is the better one atm.

No, hes really not.

Size is not issue in the NCAA, lol what?

Teuvo wouldnt be putting up the points Gaudreau has in the NCAA.