HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

P. Bergeron or Getzlaf?

View Poll Results: Would you rather have P. Bergeron or Getzlaf on your team?
Patrice Bergeron 67 42.95%
Ryan Getzlaf 89 57.05%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
No he didn't.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you meant in the playoffs.

And I've seen it argued on the Trade board that Krejci was the #1 center for that run when arguing about his trade value.
A lot of people will, and they might not be wrong either.

Krejci scored 23 in 25 games while Bergeron scored 20 in 23. There's really not much of a difference, Krejci scored 3 more in 2 more games, but Bergeron was a major part of shutting down the opposition's first line every single night, which more than makes up for that 4% difference in PPG average, if you ask me. Both were terrific in scoring in the 2011 playoffs, and we wouldn't have won without either of them.

That's just my opinion and it's pretty annoying when people say it's "wrong" without any further argument. If you think it's wrong, please tell me why. (Not directing that at you)

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:42 AM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
So many people undervalue defensive play. Just because it's hard to quantify doesn't mean it isn't worth considering. Bergeron's all-around game is on another level than most players, and I'd rank his hockey sense right at the top of the league.
I actually think its the complete opposite. People overrate defensive play and forget the objective of the game is to score goals. It's assumed that if your an offensive star and not a Selke candidate you must be awful defensively.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I actually think its the complete opposite. People overrate defensive play and forget the objective of the game is to score goals. It's assumed that if your an offensive star and not a Selke candidate you must be awful defensively.
I agree in general. But I still pick Bergeron in this case.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:56 AM
davebenj

Personally, I would take Bergeron.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Bergeron gets more points than Krejci and has arguably the best defensive play in the league, and you think Krejci is our #1? Krejci is underrated defensively, he kills penalties in our defensive-minded system, but he's sure as hell no Bergeron.

There's a difference between playing on the first line and being the #1 center. Bergeron's game is much more suited for a second line shutdown role. He's still our best forward and #1 center.
During the cup run. Krejci was the number one center. He received the hardest defensive matchups in every single series.
Habs:Subban, gill
Flyers:timonen,coburn and for one game pronger/carle
tampa:brewer, ohlund(?) I forget the second guy
canucks:hamhuis, bieksa

You could maybe argue bergeron was better than krejci in the playoffs, or at least equivalent, but that does not equate to being the "number one center"

Furthermore, to say he was "right in line" after thomas is also a HIGHLY debatable point, to the lengths that I will say it is straight up wrong.

Quote:
A lot of people will, and they might not be wrong either.

Krejci scored 23 in 25 games while Bergeron scored 20 in 23. There's really not much of a difference, Krejci scored 3 more in 2 more games, but Bergeron was a major part of shutting down the opposition's first line every single night, which more than makes up for that 4% difference in PPG average, if you ask me. Both were terrific in scoring in the 2011 playoffs, and we wouldn't have won without either of them.

That's just my opinion and it's pretty annoying when people say it's "wrong" without any further argument. If you think it's wrong, please tell me why. (Not directing that at you)
To recap, your wild and consistently inaccurate posts.

We have this line, "Bergeron gets more points than Krejci"
Followed by, "Krejci scored 23 in 25 games while Bergeron scored 20 in 23. There's really not much of a difference,"

The facts,
2010: Krejci 52 points, Bergeron 52 points
2011: Krejci 62 points, Bergeron 57 points
2012: Krejci 62 points, Bergeron 64 points

At least attempt to use facts, or some semblance of consistent logic.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:34 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Bergeron and Krejci have been a 1a/1b tandem for awhile now, with Bergeron getting the slight nod as the 'a'

Direct from Julien's mouth:

Quote:
"He's so important to us. He's my go-to guy in all situations," Bruins coach Claude Julien told ESPN.com in a recent interview.

Down a goal late in a game? Bergeron goes over the boards.

Need a crucial faceoff taken? Bergeron.

Need to protect a late lead? Bergeron.

"No doubt, he's the guy I lean on up front," Julien said.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:45 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Getzlaf is lazy and inconsistent. I'll take Bergeron at this point AINEC. Marginally less offense, and Selke-winning defense.

With Getzlaf, you don't know what you're getting from game to game.
15 points isn't really a marginal difference in offense. This is considering Bergeron as a 65 point center and Getzlaf as a 80 point center, which is pretty modest for Getzlaf who was over a point per game 4 straight seasons before 2011-2012. The difference between 80 and 65 points is the difference between guys like Kopitar, Thornton, Hossa and guys like Purcell, Pacioretty, Couture. It's a pretty significant leap.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I love Bergeron, but I have to go Getzlaf.

01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
During the cup run. Krejci was the number one center. He received the hardest defensive matchups in every single series.
Habs:Subban, gill
Flyers:timonen,coburn and for one game pronger/carle
tampa:brewer, ohlund(?) I forget the second guy
canucks:hamhuis, bieksa

You could maybe argue bergeron was better than krejci in the playoffs, or at least equivalent, but that does not equate to being the "number one center"

Furthermore, to say he was "right in line" after thomas is also a HIGHLY debatable point, to the lengths that I will say it is straight up wrong.

To recap, your wild and consistently inaccurate posts.

We have this line, "Bergeron gets more points than Krejci"
Followed by, "Krejci scored 23 in 25 games while Bergeron scored 20 in 23. There's really not much of a difference,"

The facts,
2010: Krejci 52 points, Bergeron 52 points
2011: Krejci 62 points, Bergeron 57 points
2012: Krejci 62 points, Bergeron 64 points

At least attempt to use facts, or some semblance of consistent logic.
I meant last season, and 3 points with Bergeron playing 2 games less is that significant? You could definitely go Chara after Thomas but I have a hard time seeing Bergeron much further than third. But, of course, if you're not willing to tell me who you think was next in line I suppose I could just call you wrong and technically be right.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Bomber0104

Bergeron.

Sorry. Hate Getzlaf's attitude.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
And just like thinking the game is to outscore the opponent, I see it as a game that is to allow less goals than the opponent.

See what that means?

You need a combination of both in hockey.

And there is no statistic, measure, metric, shortcut, or data outside of actually watching a player that can tell you if they are valuable or not.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:11 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
And just like thinking the game is to outscore the opponent, I see it as a game that is to allow less goals than the opponent.

See what that means?

You need a combination of both in hockey.

And there is no statistic, measure, metric, shortcut, or data outside of actually watching a player that can tell you if they are valuable or not.
I agree what I was trying to say is a lot of offensive stars are underrated defensively. Getzlaf for example is far from a defensive liability.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Getzlaf for example is far from a defensive liability.
People seem to fail to take this into consideration and label Getzlaf as being average at best defensively. From 08-09 to 10-11 Getzlaf's line would go head to head against the opposing teams top forwards and Getzlaf's line would normally come out better off. While he wasn't being used in a strict shutdown sense, Getzlaf has always very capable defensively. He's no Selke candidate, but he's certainly above average.

Assuming Getzlaf bounces back from his bad year, when you factor in physical play and offensive ability he should take this poll easily.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:22 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
People seem to fail to take this into consideration and label Getzlaf as being average at best defensively. From 08-09 to 10-11 Getzlaf's line would go head to head against the opposing teams top forwards and Getzlaf's line would normally come out better off. While he wasn't being used in a strict shutdown sense, Getzlaf has always very capable defensively. He's no Selke candidate, but he's certainly above average.

Assuming Getzlaf bounces back from his bad year, when you factor in physical play and offensive ability he should take this poll easily.
Agreed what a lot of people on here also tend to forget is that offense and defense are not equal when it comes to forwards. A guy with elite offensive skills and no defensive skills is a highly valued forward while a guy with elite defensive skills and no offensive skills is a good fourth liner.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:

Just to add on, under Carlyle Getzlaf was the first choice as the forward on a 3 on 5 PK and it was not because of his faceoff prowess, or lack there of. He didn't, or I guess I should say rarely played, on a 4 on 5 PK because he doesn't have to.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
I meant last season, and 3 points with Bergeron playing 2 games less is that significant? You could definitely go Chara after Thomas but I have a hard time seeing Bergeron much further than third. But, of course, if you're not willing to tell me who you think was next in line I suppose I could just call you wrong and technically be right.
Your posts contain no consistency from thought to thought.

I was merely pointing out you contradicting yourself, and it completely went flying over your head. You even restate it here in this post, but somehow it still goes over your head.

As for players from the cup run I'd put in front of bergeron, it would be chara and krejci. Chara with a clear significant notch above krejci and bergeron by the way.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Intact

Man Bergeron is such a winner I can't believe he led Team Canada in the olympics. Wow they were such an underdog story in WJC 2005, that team was really carried by such a winner like Bergeron I can't even recognize any of the names on those rosters.

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:

While Getzlaf is above average defensively, Bergeron is above average offensively. Bergeron is also one of the best faceoff men in the league ( top 3 ) while Getzlaf is poor at the dot. Faceoff ability is a huge difference between the two, I think it was a 12 percent difference last year ( career wise Bergeron has been better as well ).

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:20 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

On the habs, Getzlaf AINEC. Plekanec is quite close to Bergeron, maybe slightly less better but pretty much the same type of players with similar production.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:32 AM
rotiman

When Getlaz is playing to his fullest he is one of the most dominating players in the game.

Getzlaf still gets my vote easily.

rotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Metalcommand

Although Bergeron is a great two-way player it tells something when Getzlaf has absolutely horrible season and is only 7 points behind Bergeron in scoring. I take Getzlaf.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Minimalist*

Bergeron. Getzlaf is and always was overrated.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Bergeron he's just playing at a higher level now.

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote