Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

Royce White Appreciation Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 09:44 PM
1ntrovert*

vCash: 500
Royce White Appreciation Thread

I have a brother who deals with a lot of the same problems. Hoping this kid makes it as I have seen how hard it can be to overcome.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...xiety-disorder

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I don't even have half the anxiety issues he does and sometimes the simplest things become a challenge for me. For him to be dealing with everything he is and having to be in front of everyone I can't even imagine it.

I don't know what the future holds for him, but I really hope his health is always put first. Also, maybe, just maybe his openness about his anxiety will open many more people's eyes into how difficult it can be.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Good luck Royce White

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I was rooting for him and hoping he succeeds (I still am) but I really don't "appreciate" anything he is doing right now. The Rockets have been trying to help him ever since they drafted him but he keeps publicly ****ing all over them. I feel bad for him but I also think he needs to stop *****ing about it on twitter and to the media.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:49 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I was rooting for him and hoping he succeeds (I still am) but I really don't "appreciate" anything he is doing right now. The Rockets have been trying to help him ever since they drafted him but he keeps publicly ****ing all over them. I feel bad for him but I also think he needs to stop *****ing about it on twitter and to the media.
This is someone who has severe anxiety disorder. Life basically becomes a roller coaster. You could be fine in one situation, but something happens or changes, and it could send you into an emotional breakdown. This isn't as easy as the Rockets saying sure you can ride a bus, there is a LOT more "help" that he's going to need. Needless to say I don't think he's trying to crap all over Houston cause he's upset at them or trying to humiliate them, but it is a complex issue.

Also, speaking about it on twitter is probably a good thing for him. It's not best to keep your anxiety hidden and it helps when you get encouragement from people who understand.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
This is someone who has severe anxiety disorder. Life basically becomes a roller coaster. You could be fine in one situation, but something happens or changes, and it could send you into an emotional breakdown. This isn't as easy as the Rockets saying sure you can ride a bus, there is a LOT more "help" that he's going to need. Needless to say I don't think he's trying to crap all over Houston cause he's upset at them or trying to humiliate them, but it is a complex issue.

Also, speaking about it on twitter is probably a good thing for him. It's not best to keep your anxiety hidden and it helps when you get encouragement from people who understand.
There is nothing wrong with speaking about the issue, trying to bring more awareness to it, and getting support from people but does he have to keep throwing the Rockets organization under the bus while he publicly talks about his issues?

He has different rules than the other players on the team and maybe the Rockets haven't done everything they can to help him but based on everything that has been reported, it seems like they are trying. I don't know what he is going through but he can't keep showing up to games/practices only on his terms. He still has an obligation to the team.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:21 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I'm not going to lie and say there is an easy answer to this and people won't get frustrated cause I'd be wrong. But again, he's not doing this out of spite, he's doing this because sometimes there will be things that set him off. Again, Houston is trying, or so it seems, but what does HE need or want? It may not be basketball first right now.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

I've been a Rockets fan since the 80's and I was rooting big time for him on draft day, but I think my opinion is slowly starting to change.

Don't get me wrong, I wish him nothing but the best but things here seem to have taken a turn for the worse (and the bizarre). I honestly think the Rockets have done and did the best they could for him and still are doing so, but all his *****ing and moaning on twitter of all things and only going to games/practices/etc when it suits him have soured me a bit. The guy is going through things I can't possibly understand, for me getting on a plane is like getting on a bus, so I won't even try to step into his shoes cause I just can't, but he still has a certain obligation to the team.

As far as I can, tell the team hasn't asked him to do anything extraordinary and has been nothing but supportive and helpful, but all I keep hearing about is him missing sessions with the Dr. the team appointed and almost never showing up for practise or anything, and then complaining on twitter about not getting support. While I agree you shouldn't keep issues like this inside, you also shouldn't be ragging on the team that's paying you a seven figure salary *AND* helping you with your demons for all the world to see with a click.

As much as I was, and still am, rooting for him to suceed in life and in basketball, I honestly don't know if there's a solution for him anymore in Houston after what's been going on.

/rant

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Rockets first-round pick Royce White refused his assignment to Houston's D-League affiliate on Sunday in yet another setback to his return to the court.

White, the 16th overall pick in the June draft, has spent most of the season on Houston's inactive list while he and the team figure out how to handle his anxiety disorder and overall mental health.

White's assignment to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Saturday looked to be a positive step in his return. But on Sunday, White released an almost 500-word statement where he said he wouldn't report to the team.

"I have chosen to not play, because the doctors and I believe it to be unsafe for unqualified Rockets front office personnel to make medical decisions, as they are not mental health professionals," he said.
Quote:
"I do wish to play, but I only intend to do so with the collaboration and recommendation of trained professionals," he said. "The purpose of a doctor's confirmation is to ensure that health decisions are made in the sole interest of health and not conflicted with business. My only hope is that decision makers involved realize that doctors are the only logical source to decide action."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...nment-d-league

Quote:
@WojYahooNBA: If Royce White decides he wants to play basketball, he'll have to play in Rockets organization. Houston has no intention of releasing him.
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...87284395438080

Old
12-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Kershaw

Classless.

He seems pretty self-centered, 'all eyes on me' type.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Kershaw

Reminds me of Robbie Earl's draft day debacle.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

He sounds scared, and almost a bit paranoid.

Seriously, if this was an "all eyes on me" type thing, I think he'd be in the NBA, not doing everything he could to avoid it right now. Again, I know what you and others are going to say that he's making it sound like his way or nothing, but he's not doing it because he's trying to be "classless". He has a mental disorder.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 12-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Classless.

He seems pretty self-centered, 'all eyes on me' type.
This is a horrible thing to say about someone with an incredibly volatile, powerful, and misunderstood mental condition.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
This is a horrible thing to say about someone with an incredibly volatile, powerful, and misunderstood mental condition.
The way he's handling it is pretty classless tho. Nothing the Rockets do for him seems to be good enough. Like I said in my other post, I won't try to understand what he's going through, cause I can't. But this is a 2-way street. He also has to want to make progress. It won't just happen.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
Need to have mental focus to be a professional athlete. The NBA might not suit Royce White unfortunately. He is in a professional league, he has to act like a professional. Take your re-assignment and play yourself back up like everyone else has to.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Don't want to derail the other thread so I'll just quote this post here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Wow, Royce White, wow. I don't know what the hell his deal is. Mental health this, mental health that. WTF. Send the ****er to a mental hospital if he can't live the NBA life.
I don't agree with how he has handled everything but this is just wrong. The guy is obviously dealing with a serious issue. I agree with what KaylaJ said before, it seems like he is really scared.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Nalyd Psycho

He wants his NBA career to be a pulpit for mental health issues. Unfortunately, I think he's more focused on that than building an NBA career. And he's got a lot of work ahead of him to build that career. At this point I think he'd be a better role model and be better for the mental health community if he proved that his difficulties can be overcome.

01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
He wants his NBA career to be a pulpit for mental health issues. Unfortunately, I think he's more focused on that than building an NBA career. And he's got a lot of work ahead of him to build that career. At this point I think he'd be a better role model and be better for the mental health community if he proved that his difficulties can be overcome.
this.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Clowe Me

Is it really a big problem when you're mentally capable of understanding how you feel? Or is he just using this card to get a free pass so he can throw temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way?

I'm no psychiatrist, but I would think if I had really big mental disabilities that kept me from fully functioning properly, I wouldn't really understand them or realize that I have them.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:08 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Is it really a big problem when you're mentally capable of understanding how you feel? Or is he just using this card to get a free pass so he can throw temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way?

I'm no psychiatrist, but I would think if I had really big mental disabilities that kept me from fully functioning properly, I wouldn't really understand them or realize that I have them.
I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't know, but yes, for the most part you know you have anxiety and PTSD. You may or may not understand why you have them or how you should function without it letting get to you, sometimes you don't really understand what is going on with you, but you definitely know something is not right.

For what it is worth, if Royce White has a deeper undiagnosed mental disorder, then it could be another ballpark, but for now all I know of him having is anxiety related.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 01-06-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't know, but yes, for the most part you know you have anxiety and PTSD. You may or may not understand why you have them or how you should function without it letting get to you, sometimes you don't really understand what is going on with you, but you definitely know something is not right.

For what it is worth, if Royce White has a deeper undiagnosed mental disorder, then it could be another ballpark, but for now all I know of him having is anxiety related.
Which is something millions of others deal with and find ways to function in society. This guy is being a baby and is using his "condition" as a crutch to say what he wants and get his way (team assigns him to d-league, he says no).

I don't feel bad for this guy at all. I bet when the Rockets release him he'll sue them for firing a disabled person.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Rockets have suspended White for a week. His reaction to the suspension:

Quote:
"What's suspending me suppose to do – I've been away from the team for a month 1/2. Guess we want to give it a title to shift accountability."
Quote:
"Threat, Fines, Suspension won't deter me. I won't accept illogical health decisions, I will keep asking for safety & health. #BeWell @dmorey"
Quote:
"Again the @HoustonRockets management has gone against what THEIR OWN docs have declared & their own words. #Illogical"
Quote:
"Not refusing #DLeague I'm refusing to work, AT ALL, until a protocol is put in that ensures #safety.. Doctors should make medical decisions."
Quote:
"Undeniably UNSAFE 4 ANY PLAYER, when management has exec. authority in medical situations. Conflict of Interest, Health vs. Business #BeWell"
Wow. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Caveat emptor

Is the condition ruining Royce White's career or is Royce White ruining Royce White's career?

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Adrian Wojnarowski on White:

Quote:
"I really don't think Royce White ever plays one minute in the NBA."

Old
01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Clowe Me

When former major league SS Khalil Greene's anxiety became too much for him, he stepped away from the game and kept his condition private. Royce White is doing the total opposite and just seems downright delusional.