HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Gorgeous George

vCash: 500
Silver Linings Playbook - 7.5/10

Definitely thought it was well done for a life/late coming of age drama. Not a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan, but she played the role well.

If you are taking the significant other out to a movie, consider this one.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Jevo

Holy Motors (2012)

Holy Motors probably ranks as one of the most surreal films of the year. I am definitely a fan. Denis Lavant is great as the lead character, even though his character himself plays a small handful of characters through out the movie, Lavant still seems to nail every scene he's in. Leos Carax has written a great script with a strange world with strange events, but it seems to stay within the rules of the universe in which it is set, which is not always the case of films such as this. Several times throughout the film I could have said that nothing could surprise me any more, yet it still continued to do so. But without ever seeming silly in any way, because Carax direction made me believe that all that is happening is perfectly normal within this universe.

This post probably seems a bit incoherent, but it's just really hard to write anything about a film as strange as this. But if you are not afraid of subtitles, and likes films with universes so amazingly strange that you can't help but be immersed into them, then you should watch Holy Motors.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Vamos Rafa
Ban ADT

So any reviews on the new Chainsaw movie?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Right at Your Door (2006)

Dirty bombs go off in Los Angeles and people that are exposed are being quarantined, others that haven't been affected are being told to seal up their homes the best they can.

An unemployed man sees his wife off to work and then hears the news report on the radio. He makes several attempts to contact her then tries to head downtown himself. When that fails he resides to the fact that emergency personal are the only ones that can help her and starts to seal his home up.

Once the house is completely sealed, she shows up. She has clearly come into contact with the toxic fallout and he must decide if he should let her in, or what type of help she should receive.

Type of movie that asks, what would you do?

Type of movie that asks, how would the public and authorities handle a situation like this?

Very well done, I'd give it a 7/10.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Ziggy66

Savages 8.5/10 Highly enjoyable action movie.

Hobbit 8/10 Good installment of the franchies. Seems less dark compared to the LOTR movies though.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
So any reviews on the new Chainsaw movie?
Yeah....pretty bad. 1 star.

So this movie is a direct sequel to the Tobe Hooper original, okay? Which was filmed in 1974. Whilst they don't ever specifically say, hey, this is in 1974 in either film...it's pretty easy to see the first movie took place at some point in the 70's. Alrighty, so the movie picks up right where the first one ended. Sally Hardesty escape and goes informs the authorities. The Sawyer family home, which is now full of Sawyers, is raided by the local cops. Drayton Sawyer agrees to give up Jeb (aka Leatherface), who is still in his dinner jacket and transvestite skin mask. But local hillbilly lynch mob types crash the party and torch the house. Inside the house, a female Sawyer is carrying her infant (see where I'm going with this). This woman is later found by one of the lynchers who kills her and takes the baby, giving it to his infertile wife. Flash-forward a number of undetermined years, this infant is now a young woman. The movie doesn't really tell you what decade we're until the last act when one of the local Deputies pulls out his iPhone and starts Facetiming the crime scene. That's how obvious the plotholes are.

I won't go into the rest. It was just a really badly executed movie. The only bright spot was the guy who played Jeb. The rest of it was forgettable noise. Time to stop making Chainsaw remakes/sequels/reboots.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Savages 8.5/10 Highly enjoyable action movie.

Hobbit 8/10 Good installment of the franchies. Seems less dark compared to the LOTR movies though.
The source material was a more lighthearted children's book.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Looper 7.5/10

Last edited by hototogisu: 01-05-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: language
Old
01-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
The source material was a more lighthearted children's book.
Agreed. Read it quite a while ago and started to reread it again today. Forgot how childish but entertaining the novel was.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Agreed. Read it quite a while ago and started to reread it again today. Forgot how childish but entertaining the novel was.
Same here LOL

Old
01-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Texas Chainsaw 3D

I'm not even going to attempt to write a worthy review on the movie, it was awful.

2/10

The only reason it gets a 2 and not a 0 is because the two girls in the movie were fiiiine.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Dark Knight Rises

9/10

Was good conclusion to Batman series but of course failed to match TDK. Still a nice movie

Old
01-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
Texas Chainsaw 3D

I'm not even going to attempt to write a worthy review on the movie, it was awful.

2/10

The only reason it gets a 2 and not a 0 is because the two girls in the movie were fiiiine.
Only positive I have heard about this movie is "At least it wasn't as bad as The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

I have been meh about the series since Leatherface came out when I was a kid (Last one IMO that was close to living up to legacy of original)

I did think that the prequel from a few years back was overall an enjoyable film though

Old
01-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Still what, for christsakes?
I still felt like clearing that up for the sake of it, that's all. Almost like I read your post and was responding to WhiskeySeven about it.

Sorry if that sounded accusational and for not being clear-- just got worked up by his argument

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Shareefruck

Django Unchained - 1/5

I've always felt that great pure mindless entertainment was lacking in movies (I've generally never gotten much of a real lasting andrenaline rush watching a Cameron, Bay, or Spielberg movie-- so when I hear that argument used to defend Avatar or Transformers or a superhero movie or something, I'm never on board or feel it's true)-- however, I feel that Tarantino is one of the few directors who consistently does a great job of it and has generally been able to escalate pure entertainment into something worthwhile and memorable.

Surprisingly, this one didn't work for me at all, though, and I thought it was his weakest effort yet (besides Death Proof, which I don't count)-- It's not that I found it distasteful or anything (I don't think the way people react to the racial side remotely matters, personally), I just thought it was boring, messy, and I got very little out of it. Everything I normally like about Tarantino felt MIA-- the characters weren't that fun, the dialog wasn't too snappy, the editing wasn't tight, the story just kind of went in a predictable (or at least unintriguing) straight line, it didn't look aesthetically cool or stylish, there were all these weird choices that I didn't feel worked at all (like the hip-hop/KKK scenes), surprising, I didn't feel any of the performances stood out this time (if DiCaprio gets a sniff at an Oscar for that, it's going to annoy me), and while normally I'm all for gratuitous violence when it makes the movie more fun, it felt kind of pointlessly and unrewardingly gruesome, even by his standards. I'm honestly a little baffled that so many people had a blast with this.

I didn't think this was similar to Inglourious Basterds at all, either, which I didn't think had problems with any of the above.

Tarantino:
1. Pulp Fiction - 5
2. Reservoir Dogs - 4
3. Inglourious Basterds - 3.5
4. Jackie Brown - 3.5
5. Kill Bill 2 - 3
6. Kill Bill 1 - 3
7. Django Unchained - 2

2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Life of Pi - 3
7. Gandu - 2.5
8. Norwegian Wood - 2.5
9. Raid Redemption - 2.5
10. Looper - 2.5
11. Safety Not Guaranteed - 2
12. Arrietty - 2
13. Skyfall - 2
14. The Avengers - 1.5
15. Django Unchained - 1
16. The Dark Knight Rises - 1
17. Brave - 0.5

So, I've tried all the ones from this year that jumped out at me as obvious to try-- what would you guys recommend to try next?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Stu Macher

You haven't seen The Master yet, Shareefruck? If you haven't, and have any chance to see it, I'd love to hear your take on it. At this point, it remains my number one film of the year.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
You haven't seen The Master yet, Shareefruck? If you haven't, and have any chance to see it, I'd love to hear your take on it. At this point, it remains my number one film of the year.
Sounds good. I haven't seen it yet, and really, I didn't start trying to catch up at all or see anything I wanted to from 2012 until around New Years, so I have no idea what's out there other than the ones that keep coming up.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-05-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 09:50 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - 7.5/10

Old
01-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

I'm going to disagree about the mediocrity label most are giving Django Unchained, if only for the fact that I left the movie feeling that I experienced better character development than I experienced while watching Inglorious Basterds. Mind you, I haven't yet seen Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown (I intend to watch Pulp Fiction on LaserDisc, but still haven't gotten around to setting my LaserDisc player up). But it isn't mediocre, and although Reservoir Dogs is clearly better, I'm not going to say that there is a major decline here. I put it above Inglorious Basterds, and put it a little above both Kill Bills.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
So, I've tried all the ones from this year that jumped out at me as obvious to try-- what would you guys recommend to try next?
End of watch
lawless
moonrise kingdom
prometheus
hunger games (haven't seen this personally, but it's a big name title from a popular book series)

Old
01-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
End of watch
lawless
moonrise kingdom
prometheus
hunger games (haven't seen this personally, but it's a big name title from a popular book series)
Hunger Games was awful compared to the book.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Hunger games was good, moonrise kingdom was very good, lawless was okay, Prometheus was a letdown although still enjoyable, at least in the big movie theatre on a huge screen, end of watch gave me a headache but was also okay, nothing more nothing less.

Saw Django Unchained for a second time this afternoon, 9/10. It's actually one of my favourite movies in recent memory and I didn't enjoy Inglorious Basterds at all, so I'm not just a Tarantino "fanboy". Anyways I love it (DU).

Zero Dark Thirty - 8.4/10, anxiously awaiting to see it in theatres with a nice crowd.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Yeah, that's the thing, Basterds certainly had its moments, but portions of it bored me, I didn't experience that with Django.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Black Snake Moan: 5/10
Friend wanted to watch this again, I'd never seen it, though I remember the ads for it. With the blues soundtrack as hyped as it was, I was underwhelmed. Not enough of the old, dirty, gritty recordings featured in the movie itself - too many newer renditions and covers (some in-film by Samuel Jackson himself, who does a good job at it). I don't know, overall, this movie felt pretty inconsequential - it has a ludicrous premise and still doesn't do a whole lot with it. Christina Ricci's performance is amped up to high volume and not always better for it, but Jackson is good. Overall, not much here I found worth the time.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Shareefruck

One of the biggest things I didn't like about Django was actually that it didn't have more reserved moments, personally. Seemed annoyingly trigger happy in this one to me.

Closed Thread