HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry rants about foreign players in the CHL

Old
01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Cherry is right though.

Honestly, I think the US needs a proper junior league. Keep the CHL Canadian. Relocate Portland, Tri-City, Spokane and Seattle to Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Lloydminster and Winnipeg. Do the same kind of thing in the O. Raise Canadian players only in the CHL.

I just don't know if a proper junior program would ever work in the US. Hockey just isn't popular enough in most parts of the country. States like Michigan, New York and Minnesota would have no problem attracting fans, but in most places in the south, NHL hockey is a hard enough sell as it is.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Yes, downgrade a good junior development league that is a stepping stone for careers. USA has the colleges, and USHL is getting better too. Canadians play in NCAA. I don't care if they do. it's good hockey. So where do European players go once they come over? "Sorry, you can't be here even if you are top talent, you'll be replaced by a less talented player because you aren't Canadian"

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Yes, downgrade a good junior development league that is a stepping stone for careers. USA has the colleges, and USHL is getting better too. Canadians play in NCAA. I don't care if they do. it's good hockey. So where do European players go once they come over? "Sorry, you can't be here even if you are top talent, you'll be replaced by a less talented player because you aren't Canadian"
It is preventing the development of Canadian players. This is becoming a serious problem as witnessed in continued WJC failures, particularly in net, where many of the opposing teams' goalies have been CHL players.

By making the CHL restricted to Canadian players, we can develop more players, and bring our national program back to the level it belongs at. This will help other countries to, as it will push them to improve their junior programs.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:28 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
It is preventing the development of Canadian players. This is becoming a serious problem as witnessed in continued WJC failures, particularly in net, where many of the opposing teams' goalies have been CHL players.

By making the CHL restricted to Canadian players, we can develop more players, and bring our national program back to the level it belongs at. This will help other countries to, as it will push them to improve their junior programs.
I heard that a lot of the Junior players from the Czech Repbulic play in the CHL and it's something their federation doesn't like. They have a rule saying all their players need to have contracts with various teams over there if they play in the CHL incase they want to come back home, however they do wish more players wouldn't play in Canada.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
As for his point about Canadian boys getting cut for Euros or how foreigners don't pay their taxes, since when was the CHL a governmental institution and since when was a CHL's mission statement anything other than trying to make a profit and winning games?
I am not sure that's the CHL's mission statement.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:51 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

Wait. It "prevents the development" of elite Canadian players to have more good players in their league to play against night in, night out? And their development would be furthered by replacing those star imports with Canadian guys who would otherwise be playing lower level hockey?

Or are you saying that maybe a relevant portion of those guys who couldn't make the CHL would, if given the chance, become such elite players that they could make a Canadian national team?

I'm not sure which of those arguments is crappier than the other.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:

Not sure if serious.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

There are something like 60 CHL teams. 2 goalies per team means 120 goalies. If 20 of those spots are held by foreigners, that means the top 100 goalies in Canada between the ages of 16-20 are playing in the CHL. What, you think numbers 115-120 are the keys to WJC dominance?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
If you want to make the CHL a mickey mouse junior league by opening it only to Canadians because it's "fair" to the Canadian family who pays taxes or some crappy argument, then go ahead, Don.

That guy is funny because if he took two seconds to think about what he's going to say and not sound like a ********, a lot of his points actually make some sense. His arguments behind them are awful though. Always.

Before I get roasted, to clarify: mickey mouse because of the arguments he's giving. If you want to argue it's better for the attendance, pure development, etc, then it would be fair to discuss limiting non-Canadians. Cherry is just so moronic with how he defends things.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
What he's getting at is Canada is developing all these hockey players and you may as well slap Canada as the team name of every team in this tournament because its Canada's hockey programs that's developing them into the future stars they are.
Tell that to the 2011 Russian WJC side that won gold with one CHL player (A back up Goaltender) and the 2012 Swedish side that won gold with three CHL players.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:42 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Tell that to the 2011 Russian WJC side that won gold with one CHL player (A back up Goaltender) and the 2012 Swedish side that won gold with three CHL players.
I don't think he knows Don cherry.

Last edited by craigcaulks*: 01-05-2013 at 09:51 PM.
craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
black charger

Believe it or not the OHF(governing body of hockey in Ontario)also considers out of province players as imports.I wouldn't doubt the rest of the Canadian hockey federations have the same rule to an extent depending on population density.There are also very tight rules in minor hockey concerning playing outside of your area of residence.

Last edited by black charger: 01-05-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add info
black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Here you go: LHJMQ, WHL and OHL (scroll down).

Looks like US and European players add up to somewhere around the 13.3% mark.
If my quick tallies were correct, 206 of the 1543 players in the CHL are from countries other than Canada. That's 13.3% of the CHL players. So 86.6% of the CHL is Canadian players and 86.67% of the teams in the CHL are based in Canada. Seems to me like Canada is very fairly represented in the CHL.

If any country is getting screwed by letting Euros play in the CHL, it's actually the US.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:34 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If my quick tallies were correct, 206 of the 1543 players in the CHL are from countries other than Canada. That's 13.3% of the CHL players. So 86.6% of the CHL is Canadian players and 86.67% of the teams in the CHL are based in Canada. Seems to me like Canada is very fairly represented in the CHL.

If any country is getting screwed by letting Euros play in the CHL, it's actually the US.
But, Canada needs that other 13.4% to dominate World Juniors, otherwise that international 13% constituency, in turn, dominates Canada.

I can't believe some people even remotely agree with Cherry's point, pathetic.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
But, Canada needs that other 13.4% to dominate World Juniors, otherwise that international 13% constituency, in turn, dominates Canada.

I can't believe some people even remotely agree with Cherry's point, pathetic.
This. Most who agree are coming out of the woodwork with bitterness now that Canada has not struck gold 3 straight years. 4 years ago it was "Is Canada's dominance ruining this tournament?" Now all of a sudden it's "Should they restrict the CHL to only Canadian players so it can develop its own players better and not help foreign countries?" The worry is overblown. Try being like England who created soccer, but sees "their game" dominated by everyone else with their country being World Cup-less in over 4 decades! Now THAT is national despair over a favoured sport, not failing to get a medal in the WJC for only the 3rd time in 30 years! That's a mini-slump and with Canada's hockey resources it'll be overcome.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Ilyeu

That's a big gate that was swung open.

Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:12 AM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Quote:
Cherry is right though.

Honestly, I think the US needs a proper junior league. Keep the CHL Canadian. Relocate Portland, Tri-City, Spokane and Seattle to Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Lloydminster and Winnipeg. Do the same kind of thing in the O. Raise Canadian players only in the CHL.

I just don't know if a proper junior program would ever work in the US. Hockey just isn't popular enough in most parts of the country. States like Michigan, New York and Minnesota would have no problem attracting fans, but in most places in the south, NHL hockey is a hard enough sell as it is.
You are missing some of the teams, and you know that wouldn't happen in a million years.

Maybe if those 8 teams featured only American players? How many Canadians would make that deal, so that the correct "deserving" players could play for teams in their country?

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

If the CHL got rid of imports, and replaced them with less talented Canadian players, the on-ice product would fall. Would ticket prices fall also?

Doubt it.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Dr Quincy

The most laughable part is the "The CHL is developing players from other countries, like John Gibson".

Gibson was arguably the best goalie in his age group at 16 (see U17 championships), 17, 18 and now 19. How was he better than his Canadian peers at 16 and 17 when he wasn't being trained in the Canadian system?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 AM
misha1976

Disclaimer: I can't stand Don Cherry because of some of his views, but more importantly because he periodically decides to jump into politics. And his politics aren't mine. He should stick to hockey. Even if I agreed with him, please, dude, stick to hockey. That's what you do,.

That said, I can see both sides. The CHL is a private league. It ought to attract the best talent. But if a Canadian kid who might have potential is bumped for some kid from overseas who might be marginally more interesting to the scouts, that's a problem.

But, I also want hockey to do well internationally and I want the best possible players in the NHL, so I say bring it on.

I dunno.... I'm wishy washy on it.

misha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
bareza

has anyone gone true chl route to play in finland's men's national team ? just curious

bareza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
ukapu

If Canadian junior players aren't good enough to beat out international competition for CHL spots then they wouldn't be good enough to beat them at the WJC. Changing the CHL's rules to protect our players from the globalization of the sport won't change how good the rest of the world is.

More and more, Canadian hockey fans are starting to sound like English soccer fans.

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Put it this way, I'd rather play in a more evenly matched league, like the CHL, than the SEL/Sm-liiga/KHL etc.

So what if I'm better than others? Not mu fault they suck is it.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote