HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

USA WJC Team Prediction 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
orangeandblack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
ud think after seeing another short player with high end skill score 7 goals in this tournament that they would realize a player like cammarata can be very effective in this tournament.
Yes, and him, Galchenyuk and Erne are the only pure offensive talents available. I'm not talking about guys that can put up points, but guys that are elite skill players and take a game over offensively. Many of the other guys can do a lot of things, but not provide the pure offensive skill.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Montecristo

Any chance nick schmaltz makes it as an underager? He's supposed to be really good from what I hear

Old
01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Any chance nick schmaltz makes it as an underager? He's supposed to be really good from what I hear
The only 96 with a snowballs chance is Eichel.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
what about connor hurley? isnt he a 1st/2nd round talent this year?
I was going to bring up Hurley, I hope he gets a look. He has been (by my eyes) the most impressive prospect playing MN HS since Bjugstad.

01-05-2013, 05:54 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I really expect Gally and Jones to be in the NHL whether they're 100% ready or not. I'd expect Winnipeg will push to sign Trouba as well, though it's possible he could play in the AHL a bit which might make him available. I'd probably want to figure how things would play out without them at this point.

It seems like there are a lot of options but that could be because there are few very obvious ones. The '94 group isn't spectacular and at this point it seems the '95 group could be similar in that regard. Right now I'd expect these guys to be pretty good bets...

Hartman
Barber
Kerdiles
Matteau
Samuelsson
Erne

Sieloff
Grzelcyk
Skjei

Gillies

I'm sure a number of the NTDP 94/95 guys will be there as well as the top CHL '94s. It's also quite possible a number of guy from the USHL who'll be joining the college ranks next season could get a long look as it seems there's a pretty good crop of them. Many of the names have already been mentioned above but I'll add a couple more I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Vince Hinostroza: Not sure there'll be space for him as I think he'll need an offensive role to succeed but he was exceptional at the Jr A Challenge amongst numerous others who've been mentioned here.

Matt Lane: He's had a quiet season thus far but he's a guy who was great at the U18's last year and has the speed which US teams are known for nowadays. I could see him filling a number of roles on the team.

Thomas DiPauli: He could be a guy to come in and take a spot the way guys like Pietila/Bardreau did this year as he plays a similar "grind line" style game.

Tyler Kelleher: He's a small, young guy and he'd probably make the most sense in an offensive role if he were to make the team but I think he might be the most skilled player on this year's NTDP U18 team. If he has a big U18 wjc in April that could put him in contention for the team.

Last edited by cagney: 01-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 06:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

also keep an eye out for goalie Brendan Burke as he will likely be the starter next year at Portland with Carruth leaving...if Burke does well, I will find it hard for the US to not bring him along as the 3rd goalie at worst...

Old
01-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Exit Dose

I think Trouba spends at least one more year with Michigan, so he should be there for a second go.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think its likely Skjei will make the final team, but both of them are going to have some competition in their way, especially Grzelcyk who will likely have to battle with Connor Carrick and Anthony DeAngelo for that offensive dman spot... but with both being USNDP alum, and both almost making the team this year, I am sure they will be involved somehow next year...hopefully Skjei improves a bunch by then.
I mean it's a year out so I have no idea how things will go. I'd at least hope that Skjei gets a full time role with the Gophers by next season and plays every weekend.

I called these guys locks back early in June.

Miller------Galchenyuk------Noesen
Gaudreau---Grimaldi------------Biggs
X----------X------------Matteau
X-----------X-----------X

S. Jones--Trouba
C. Murphy----Skjei
X----------X

Gibson
X
X

I specifically said Skjei and Matteau were debatable and that they clearly were as they didn't make it. Whoops! Heh Bonney called me out on it to, so credit there. Still, they were pretty much the final cuts and the rest were spot on. Instead of calling them locks I'll call this group the core of the next team.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...210191&page=40

Kerdiles-Galchenyuk-Barber
Matteau-Vail- Erne
Fasching-Compher-Hartman
Cammarata-X-Samuelsson

Sieloff-Trouba
Skjei- Jones
Grzelcyk-X
McCoshen

I don't expect the bold guys to be released.

I don't know if I'm just crazy, or if there really is a clearer core group of players this year? I'm probably crazy.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I really expect Gally and Jones to be in the NHL whether they're 100% ready or not. I'd expect Winnipeg will push to sign Trouba as well, though it's possible he could play in the AHL a bit which might make him available. I'd probably want to figure how things would play out without them at this point.

It seems like there are a lot of options but that could be because there are few very obvious ones. The '94 group isn't spectacular and at this point it seems the '95 group could be similar in that regard. Right now I'd expect these guys to be pretty good bets...

Hartman
Barber
Kerdiles
Matteau
Samuelsson
Erne

Sieloff
Grzelcyk
Skjei

Gillies

I'm sure a number of the NTDP 94/95 guys will be there as well as the top CHL '94s. It's also quite possible a number of guy from the USHL who'll be joining the college ranks next season could get a long look as it seems there's a pretty good crop of them. Many of the names have already been mentioned above but I'll add a couple more I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Vince Hinostroza: Not sure there'll be space for him as I think he'll need an offensive role to succeed but he was exceptional at the Jr A Challenge amongst numerous others who've been mentioned here.

Matt Lane: He's had a quiet season thus far but he's a guy who was great at the U18's last year and has the speed which US teams are known for nowadays. I could see him filling a number of roles on the team.

Thomas DiPauli: He could be a guy to come in and take a spot the way guys like Pietila/Bardreau did this year as he plays a similar "grind line" style game.

Tyler Kelleher: He's a small, young guy and he'd probably make the most sense in an offensive role if he were to make the team but I think he might be the most skilled player on this year's NTDP U18 team. If he has a big U18 wjc in April that could put him in contention for the team.
Kelleher is super skilled and could be another Rocco Grimaldi type player for the US next year...

I would also like to see Gabe Guertler get a look as the kid is just a pain in the ass to play against like Hartman, but also has some solid offensive skill..he is on the smaller side so it depends what the rest of the team looks like if he is even given a sniff. takes dumb penalties like Hartman, but if he tones it down he could be a name to really consider

Old
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I don't know if I'm just crazy, or if there really is a clearer core group of players this year? I'm probably crazy.
Given that I stated the exact opposite I'd say it's safe to say that one of us is crazy. It'll be interesting to see exactly which one that is 11 months from now.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:21 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

safe to say that regardless of who makes this team, the captain needs to be a player from Wisconsin!!!

I believe the last 3 captains we had from Wisconsin we have 2 golds and a bronze (what the hell is wrong with you Ramage???? haha)...

so looks like Nicolas Kerdiles is going to be our captain next year!!! Yeah!!!!!

Old
01-05-2013, 07:36 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Have been thinking about this recently, since this years gold medal team was well constructed, is there the possibility to mirror it next WJC? Obviously guys are tough to replace, so Ill do my best to find a comparable. Ill assume Trouba, Jones and Galchenyuk will be in the NHL, these guys really won't have a comparable, but Ill do my best.

Goalies

Jon Gillies - John Gibson
Tough to duplicate Gibson's success, but Gillies seems the heir apparent.

Thatcher Demko - Jon Gillies
The best 95 goalie backs up for experience.

Devin Williams - Garret Sparks
A solid OHL goalie replaces another.

Defense

Pat Seiloff - Pat Seiloff

Steve Santini - Jake Trouba
Probably not the same impact, but he can play physical and chip in offensively.

Brady Skjei - Seth Jones
Can skate and is big like Jones. A first rounder, maybe he finds more consistency.

Will Butcher - Jake McCabe
Not as big, but can do a bit of everything.

Ian McCoshen - Connor Murphy
Big, stay at home defenseman.

Matt Gryzlyck - Mike Reiley
Almost made the team this year in a similar role.

Anthony DeAngelo - Shayne Gostisbehere
Will need a dynamic defenseman, and some PP help.

Forwards

Riley Barber - Riley Barber

Ryan Hartman - Ryan Hartman

Henrik Samuelsson - JT Miller
Big, forward that uses his body, and can chip in offensively

Taylor Cammarata - Johnny Gaudreau
Only player in US system that can compare to Gaudreau's skill set.

Adam Erne - Alex Galchenyuk
Not as dynamic, but could have a big tourney

Nic Kerdiles - Jim Vesey
Probably an upgrade here. Bigger with more skill

Brady Vail - Vince Trocheck
Can do a bit of everything, in any role

Stefan Matteau - Tyler Biggs
Was last cut this year for similar role

JT Compher - Rocco Grimaldi
Hustler with speed who can chip in offensively, lots of energy

Tyler Motte/Ryan Fitzgerald - Sean Kuraly
Either would be an upgrade at center here

Boo Nieves/Jimmy Lodge/Jack Eichel/etc - Mario Lucia
All three have some height, and can real handle the puck. Could play 13th forward

Cole Bardreau and Blake Pietila could have numerous replacements
I think you have a real good start to what this squad could look like. It is certainly going to be filled with bangers, hustlers, and two way forwards. There is some highend skill as well that can be sprinkled in, so it could be a very exciting team. The only real downside for me is that we only have 2 returning forwards...that could be a negative as there will be a lot of turnover there and we will need to find chemistry once again depending on picks.

The real interesting thing is what the US might be willing to do with Blake Clarke and Jack Eichel who at this moment are my top 2 96 born forwards. I think both are very very strong possibilities as they both have size and skill and Clarke is already proving just how good he is in the OHL right now. I think Nick Schmaltz has a ton of skill, but he really needs to step up and get stronger.

I think Fitzgerald is another highend wildcard who can make a name for himself as well... I think this team will be a bit younger than what we brought this year, but that is just my opinion as the 94 crop of US forwards really does lack that highend skill level outside of Galchenyuk.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I will take a ridiculously early stab at what team USA could look like for the 2013-14 WJC.. Now I will be a bit different here as I feel that both Jones and Trouba will be here for the US next year. Trouba seems like he will stick until atleast his sophmore season though he seems more physically ready for the NHL than Jones. Jones still needs time to fill out and get stronger, I think he should be left in the WHL to dominate at least 1 year before turning pro... Galchenyuk is the only player I see in the NHL from this squad, but again my opinion is biased and very USA motivated!!! hahah

Defense

Jacob Trouba
Seth Jones
Pat Sieloff
Brady Skjei
Ian McCoshen
Anthony DeAngelo
Steve Santini

just missing the cut : Dylan Blujus, Matt Grzelcyk, Connor Carrick, Will Butcher, Keaton Thompson, and Clint Lewis

Forwards

Riley Barber
Ryan Hartman
Adam Erne
Nicolas Kerdiles
Taylor Cammarata
J.T Compher
Brady Vail
Boo Nieves
Stefan Matteau
Blake Clarke
Jack Eichel
John Hayden
Connor Hurley

just missing the cut : Tyler Motte, Michael McCarron, Evan Allen, Zach Stepan, Hudson Fasching, Henrik Samuelsson, Ryan Fitzgerald, Tyler Kelleher, Cody Payne, Sam Kurker, and Jimmy Lodge.

Goalies

Jon Gillies
Thatcher Demko
Brendan Burke

I still see the same issues with Samuelsson that could keep him out..though I think he makes the team, playing in Sweden might make him more valuable than I have him now.

This team has skill, talent, and size. And if Jones and Trouba do come back they will be very hard to beat. This team is pretty weak at center though...could be an issue.

Kerdiles - Compher - Erne
Cammarata - Nieves - Barber
Hartman - Vail - Eichel
Matteau - Clarke - Hurley
Hayden

Jones -Santini
Trouba - Sieloff
DeAngelo - McCoshen
Skjei

Gillies
Demko
Burke

I obviously have forwards out of position as that is going to be needed as we just dont have any real highend centers...like we moved JT Miller to center, I can see Clarke moving there if needed, but I really dont like the idea much so I will have to sit down and review all the options available as I just dont like what we have at center currently....wstill not a bad group though..

Last edited by AmericanDream: 01-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
The only 96 with a snowballs chance is Eichel.
I am going to disagree as I feel Blake Clarke is further along in development than Eichel and Clarke will make this team next year. His size and skillset make him a likely top 10 pick, and he has proven more against tougher competition than Eichel. Clarke is having a tremendous 17 year old season in the OHL and though Eichel may be more skilled than Clarke, I just think Clarke is going to be ready for the WJC next year...it always depends on how the 95's develope, but if we lack highend skill then both Clarke and Eichel make this team which I have in my ridiculously early roster.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Given that I stated the exact opposite I'd say it's safe to say that one of us is crazy. It'll be interesting to see exactly which one that is 11 months from now.
Most of our players are the same. I'll definitely put the early money on me being crazy though.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
safe to say that regardless of who makes this team, the captain needs to be a player from Wisconsin!!!

I believe the last 3 captains we had from Wisconsin we have 2 golds and a bronze (what the hell is wrong with you Ramage???? haha)...

so looks like Nicolas Kerdiles is going to be our captain next year!!! Yeah!!!!!

That or the coach can be from Wisconsin.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I am going to disagree as I feel Blake Clarke is further along in development than Eichel and Clarke will make this team next year. His size and skillset make him a likely top 10 pick, and he has proven more against tougher competition than Eichel. Clarke is having a tremendous 17 year old season in the OHL and though Eichel may be more skilled than Clarke, I just think Clarke is going to be ready for the WJC next year...it always depends on how the 95's develope, but if we lack highend skill then both Clarke and Eichel make this team which I have in my ridiculously early roster.
Clarke is almost a full year older than Eichel as well, basically 10 months.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
O, I agree with Clarke 100%, in another thread I said he's the best 2014 eligible US player. Out of the 2 Eichel has more upside, but Clarke is a horse right now, and producing against the best.

He won't get a sniff though. Played in Youth Olympics, then not offered NTDP roster spot, didn't make summer U17 team, no offer for U17 World Games. Theres something they don't like about his game... or him, regardless of talent.

Plus, if Erne didn't get a look this year....

Old
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
O, I agree with Clarke 100%, in another thread I said he's the best 2014 eligible US player. Out of the 2 Eichel has more upside, but Clarke is a horse right now, and producing against the best.

He won't get a sniff though. Played in Youth Olympics, then not offered NTDP roster spot, didn't make summer U17 team, no offer for U17 World Games. Theres something they don't like about his game... or him, regardless of talent.

I am worried there is something they don't like about him.

Even if he doesn't make it next year, assuming he keeps progressing I can't imagine them blacklisting him forever.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

trust me I agree with everything you stated...but this years team had some highend guns that simply wont be here next year. I think there is more room for a Blake Clarke this coming WJC than there was for an Adam Erne this past WJC...if that makes any sense.. and I felt Erne was a huge snub that should have been there, but like we said, no complaints as they picked the right team.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Clarke is almost a full year older than Eichel as well, basically 10 months.
agree, was just commenting on how orange said the only 96 to have a snowball's chance was Eichel, and as Clarke being a 96 wanted to point that out and say he has serious talent and skill and should be considered. whether USA Hockey has a grudge up their ass with this kid like they seemingly do with at least 1 kid per year (also Boo Nieves for this team)..I dont know, but he deserves a shot to be here so hopefully with some openings in the top 6, they do the right thing and give this kid a shot

Old
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Is there a reason why Erne didn't make this year's squad?

Old
01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Is there a reason why Erne didn't make this year's squad?
The team felt they had better offensive options.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:59 PM
razor ray

Smiling ear-to-ear today. Great win and cant wait for next WJC.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:51 AM
William H Bonney

I'll just do a rough prediction at the Summer Evaluation Camp Roster first. Last year they brought 24 forwards, 17 d-men, and 4 goalies to the summer camp. I found it much more difficult to build out the defensive group and feel there's more depth at the forward spots (with less proven top line talent) so I went with more forwards up front than d-men this time.

Forwards (x27):

Riley Barber
Taylor Cammarata
Cole Cassels
J.T. Compher
Thomas Di Pauli
Jack Eichel
Adam Erne
Hudson Fasching
Ryan Fitzgerald
Alex Galchenyuk
Ryan Hartman
Vincent Hinostroza
Connor Hurley
Luke Johnson
Tyler Kelleher
Nic Kerdiles
Matt Lane
Jimmy Lodge
Anthony Louis
Sean Malone
Stefan Matteau
Tyler Motte
Cristoval Nieves
Daniel O'Regan
Henrik Samuelsson
Quentin Shore
Brady Vail

Defense (x15):

Dylan Blujus
Michael Brodzinski
Will Butcher
Connor Carrick
Anthony DeAngelo
Michael Downing
Matt Grzelcyk
Seth Jones
Ian McCoshen
Steven Santini
Brady Skjei
Patrick Sieloff
Keaton Thompson
Jacob Trouba
Tommy Vannelli

Goalies (x4):

Thatcher Demko
Jon Gillies
Collin Olson
Anthony Stolarz

Last edited by William H Bonney: 01-06-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Closed Thread