HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
kassian scores

just me or he get the first of the game quite often?
He really does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Time for Arneil to put out the right players
Quote:
and he didn't
Read the thread well after the game & posting activity.... I laughed out loud at these.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
How'd Kassian play?
As I mentioned, didn't watch the whole game and only somewhat paid attention, but he looked good to me. Definitely making a lot happen out there offensively. As usual, his ability to protect the puck really stands out.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:06 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Tanev played like 3/4 of the game. Think he looked every bit as good as Smith.

Wolves should have won but have some players that can't score a lick. Also Climie let him some weak goals whereas McCollum was very good.

Sweatt had two open chances and made pathetic efforts. Sweatt is your ultimate "tweener". Lacks hands to be much use offensively and not tough enough or defensively aware enough to be your bottom six. Not sure you are looking to re-sign this player.

Connauton had again his good and bad moments. Made some significant errors late the game that just about lost it. Did however, create more offense than previously Don't know why Connauton is not used n the shoot out.

Schroeder had very good game but still miscued on a number of chances. Close to breaking out but needs to be just that little bit better in converting passes near the net and in putting away chances

Kassain is in the same boat. Doing some excellent things but with a little more touch and focus could be piling up points. Missed some excellent chances in this game.

Rodin back on bench but didn't play in the third. Him and Davies basically sat out most of the latter part of the game.

Friesen was little better but still not ready for this level. Can't do anything with the puck

Meskovic is dreadful and should be replaced by Andersson
How was Miskovic back in after last games brutal showing?! That's unbelievable and unforgivable, especially considering Andersson has done a pretty good job in the minutes he's played.

I echo your sentiments about Baumgartner. Terrrrrrible move by an organization (Canucks) that preaches development and proclaims that's where they will gain advantage over the rest of the league. Hiring a complete novice as one of your assistant coaches, and one that wasn't even good enough to play in the show is a funny way to get a leg up on the competition.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:16 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
As I mentioned, didn't watch the whole game and only somewhat paid attention, but he looked good to me. Definitely making a lot happen out there offensively. As usual, his ability to protect the puck really stands out.
Good to hear, was just wondering how'd he play in this game considering he had a "mid-body" injury that kept him out last game. Thanks.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Spectrefire

Man, the Wolves are going to be in big trouble if the NHL resumes and their two leading scorers (Schroeder, Kassian) and top defenseman (Tanev) get pulled to play on the Canucks.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:40 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Man, the Wolves are going to be in big trouble if the NHL resumes and their two leading scorers (Schroeder, Kassian) and top defenseman (Tanev) get pulled to play on the Canucks.
That's nothing like the OKC Barons losing Schultz, Eberle, Hall, etc. or the Aeros losing Granlund, Brodin, Coyle, etc.

Every AHL team will get "shafted" talent-wise.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:41 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
This has been discussed before. A lot, if not all AHL teams would lose good players as well. The Barons would lose RNH, Eberle, Hall and Schultz, for example. If the lockout were to end and Kassian, Tanev and Schroeder were to play on the Canucks, guys like Haydar, Ebbett would likely pick up their play as the AHL wouldn't be as competitive as it is right now. They are first line players in the AHL, right now they aren't/shouldn't be. Same with defensemen, and goalies that were once AHL starters are backups for the time being.

Would be nice to see Mallet and others with the Wolves regularly as well.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:33 AM
thefeebster

Maybe some of you guys are okay with the lineup when the top 3 guys are gone, but I am not and the lineup looks absolutely ugly even for regular AHL standards, even worse than what i saw last year. Even though the level of competition also decreases, this is a weak ass lineup and with this coach, i have no confidence in this group.

Don't forget, Ebbett would also be gone. This could be seen as a good thing for the Wolves, but also a bad thing because we lose another center. Mallet would definitely have to come up.

Here's how i see it and it ain't pretty:

Sterling - Longpre - Haydar
Archibald - Gordon - Miller
Sweatt - Mallet - Rodin
Davies - Schneider - Desbiens
Friesen

Connauton - Joslin
Hunt - Matheson
Sauve - Andersson
Miskovic (Maybe Polasek can come up with Sauve injured now)

Ugly. Just ugly. This is not a playoff team.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:29 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Maybe some of you guys are okay with the lineup when the top 3 guys are gone, but I am not and the lineup looks absolutely ugly even for regular AHL standards, even worse than what i saw last year. Even though the level of competition also decreases, this is a weak ass lineup and with this coach, i have no confidence in this group.

Don't forget, Ebbett would also be gone. This could be seen as a good thing for the Wolves, but also a bad thing because we lose another center. Mallet would definitely have to come up.

Here's how i see it and it ain't pretty:

Sterling - Longpre - Haydar
Archibald - Gordon - Miller
Sweatt - Mallet - Rodin
Davies - Schneider - Desbiens
Friesen

Connauton - Joslin
Hunt - Matheson
Sauve - Andersson
Miskovic (Maybe Polasek can come up with Sauve injured now)

Ugly. Just ugly. This is not a playoff team.
Man, that is ugly...

Old
01-06-2013, 03:16 AM
orcatown

Not ideal but people are right in pointing out how other teams will get hurt as well.

You take Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Smith and maybe Lashoff off Grand Rapids and their offense is virtually gone. Could go thru the Rockford roster and other rosters and make many of the same subtractions.

Might factor Pinizotto or someone like Volpatti into the mix here. Also likely if Ebbett is up then Schroeder likely will stay down and Kassian may stay down if he can't get steady play in Vancouver. Lot depends on Kesler's health and how the cap comes down.

I see

Sterling - Ebbett/Schroeder - Haydar

Archibald - Longpre - Gordon

Pinizotto/Volpatti - Friesen (Arneil seems to love him) -Rodin

Sweatt - Mallet/Schneider - Miller

Have Davies, Matson (I guess) and Grenier (now listed on Wolves roster) as possible subs.

Defense pretty much as you have listed (although Joslin is on the Canuck roster right now). I'm hoping that a player like Connauton can really thrive in these watered down conditions.

Very mediocre roster but not far off many teams at the AHL level.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:12 AM
thefeebster

It's not ideal and its not a good AHL lineup, already taking account for the decrease in competition for other teams.

Why would they take Lashoff? They have 7 NHL dmen if Smith is brought up and kept? Andersson might be called up for camp, but he's not going crack the NHL line-up. They have 15 forwards as it stands. I have a hard time seeing Tatar cracking it too this season.

Someone else brought up Minnesota. Without a doubt, Granlund will be gone, Brodin has a good chance. But 4 of their top 5 scorers will still be in the AHL, which includes Zucker, Fontaine, Connelly, and Coyle (who will likely be called for camp, but is honestly not ready). That's still a good team.

I'll concede on OKC being a poor team on paper. They didn't have a great roster last season, yet they finished first in our conference. They have good coaching and a good system. We currently have neither.

Perhaps more important is taking a look at the teams we play most (our division). There's not much of a hit on them besides Grand Rapids and Rockford. Peoria stays largely the same minus Schwartz and Cole. Rockford will lose Kruger, Leddy, and maybe Saad or Smith. The Admirals will likely lose Ellis and one of Blum/Ekholm, but their top 8 scorers still remain.

What makes our situation worse is that it is absolutely given that Schroeder(Until Kes is back)/Kassian/Tanev are gone to the NHL (2 of our top 5 scorers gone, weakens already decimated depth at C) and we are 7 points out of a playoff spot. Just how easy will it be to make up those points with this reduced roster? Slim to freaking none unless someone is added. Wish Reinprecht would come back.

If you are listing Volpatti as a part of the Wolves, then you need to call up Ebbett. With both of them with the Wolves, we run with 12 forwards for the Canucks! Pinizzotto is still injured, Matson i think has been injured since the beginning of the season. So i didn't consider them. Otherwise, Pinizzotto can play 2C. But interesting news about Grenier.

Last edited by thefeebster: 01-06-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 04:26 AM
Spectrefire

Don't forget that Tanev is also the Wolves' top defenceman, as well as their leading scorer from the blueline (can't believe I said that).

Old
01-06-2013, 04:32 AM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Is Pinizotto still injured?

Old
01-06-2013, 04:45 AM
timw33

Well looks like they're about to get drained. No doubt Kassian/Shroeder/Tanev start with the big club.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:49 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Man, that is ugly...
Better get used to it for good now.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Is Pinizotto still injured?
I dont know, knowing his luck, probably. God i just want him to get a good shot!

Old
01-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Well looks like they're about to get drained. No doubt Kassian/Shroeder/Tanev start with the big club.
Ill be shocked if they think schroeder should be our number 2-3 center this year until Kesler is healthy, we better get somebody soon. Hurry up kesler. haha

Imagine Kesler runs into a few more concerns and we end up with only Henrik/Schroeder and Lapierre. I'd feel way more comfortable with a veteran and giving him time filling in for injuries

I dont know. We're a cup contender and i dont think a schroeder is a third line center for a cup contender yet

I know people are so down on Arnott but our PP was atrocious, we hardly have any size up front and i think he has a bit of juice left. I'd like to give him a shot, atleast in training camp or something. If schroeder has an amazing camp and arnott looks gassed. Well.. okay then maybe.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:21 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Ill be shocked if they think schroeder should be our number 2-3 center this year, we better get somebody soon. Hurry up kesler. haha
If it's for a short period of time, I think Schroeder deserves a shot at the second line C spot. Time to see what he can do in the NHL. However, a shortened season where you can't really be experimenting with this may not be a good time either. A cold streak can cost you. Schroeder may be our only option to fill that current void though. That brings up another question, what was the last update on Kesler?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
If it's for a short period of time, I think Schroeder deserves a shot at the second line C spot. Time to see what he can do in the NHL. That brings up another question, what was the last update on Kesler?
Yeah I do want to see. Its the shortened season that makes me more nervous about it. Not as confident rolling into the playoffs with him. What if he impresses for a bit like alot of people do when they enter a new league, then it wears off and they die down and then too late to find anybody, i dont know.

I think back to when Malhotra could have been signed by the canucks, San Jose got him, he looked great that season and then we got him and well he was good again, now the eye. I dont know. I just feel like we may miss the boat on a couple veterans looking for contracts which is what happens only at the start

Old
01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
It's not ideal and its not a good AHL lineup, already taking account for the decrease in competition for other teams.

Why would they take Lashoff? They have 7 NHL dmen if Smith is brought up and kept? Andersson might be called up for camp, but he's not going crack the NHL line-up. They have 15 forwards as it stands. I have a hard time seeing Tatar cracking it too this season.

Someone else brought up Minnesota. Without a doubt, Granlund will be gone, Brodin has a good chance. But 4 of their top 5 scorers will still be in the AHL, which includes Zucker, Fontaine, Connelly, and Coyle (who will likely be called for camp, but is honestly not ready). That's still a good team.

I'll concede on OKC being a poor team on paper. They didn't have a great roster last season, yet they finished first in our conference. They have good coaching and a good system. We currently have neither.

Perhaps more important is taking a look at the teams we play most (our division). There's not much of a hit on them besides Grand Rapids and Rockford. Peoria stays largely the same minus Schwartz and Cole. Rockford will lose Kruger, Leddy, and maybe Saad or Smith. The Admirals will likely lose Ellis and one of Blum/Ekholm, but their top 8 scorers still remain.

What makes our situation worse is that it is absolutely given that Schroeder(Until Kes is back)/Kassian/Tanev are gone to the NHL (2 of our top 5 scorers gone, weakens already decimated depth at C) and we are 7 points out of a playoff spot. Just how easy will it be to make up those points with this reduced roster? Slim to freaking none unless someone is added. Wish Reinprecht would come back.

If you are listing Volpatti as a part of the Wolves, then you need to call up Ebbett. With both of them with the Wolves, we run with 12 forwards for the Canucks! Pinizzotto is still injured, Matson i think has been injured since the beginning of the season. So i didn't consider them. Otherwise, Pinizzotto can play 2C. But interesting news about Grenier.
Word from the Chicago broadcasters is that Andersson line will go up in tact (although Andersson out right now).

Ice Hogs will surely lose Bollig and probably Shaw

Admirals will likely see Bourque go up and maybe Watson

Riverman might well lose Hensick and that would be huge loss.

Not saying the situation is good for Chicago b/c it isn't but everything is relative here. Wolves lose players and others lose players. And some teams are losing a lot bigger studs than the Wolves.

If the Wolves hang on to players like Ebbett and Pinizotto they are not all that different than the team that made the AHL playoffs last year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...026742012.html

Sure they had Mancari but he probably hurt them defensively as much as helped them offensively. Having Reinhardt would, however, definitely help.

Moreover, if Kesler can quickly come back then Chicago situation can improve quickly.

Actually I think, as far as development goes, that it might work out well for the Canucks as players like Connauton, Rodin and Archibald get an increased role and some like Polosek and Mallet get more opportunity.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Pseudonymous*

I say we see Pinner on our 4th line eventually, if he stays healthy

Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Word from the Chicago broadcasters is that Andersson line will go up in tact (although Andersson out right now).

Ice Hogs will surely lose Bollig and probably Shaw

Admirals will likely see Bourque go up and maybe Watson

Riverman might well lose Hensick and that would be huge loss.
What differs from what you are saying and what i am saying is that you are talking about players who are going to camp. I am talking about players who are going to be in the NHL for most if not all of the season.

The Andersson line may go to camp in tact, but i am 100% confident they will not stay in tact on the Detroit Red Wings for the remainder of the season. The Red Wings have 15 players signed included Nyqvist. Who are Andersson and Tatar going to bump?

I conceded that Rockford would be one of the hardest hit in our division. So they lose Kruger, Leddy, Shaw and Bollig. They still have 4 of their top 5 scorers. They'll still be hit, but can survive.

The Admirals lose Bourque, Ellis, and one of Blum/Ekholm. Don't see Watson making the roster either. They still have their top 8 scorers.

Peoria might not lose Hensick either. St.L has 14 forwards signed currently. They lose Schwartz and Cole.

Quote:
Not saying the situation is good for Chicago b/c it isn't but everything is relative here. Wolves lose players and others lose players. And some teams are losing a lot bigger studs than the Wolves.

If the Wolves hang on to players like Ebbett and Pinizotto they are not all that different than the team that made the AHL playoffs last year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...026742012.html

Sure they had Mancari but he probably hurt them defensively as much as helped them offensively. Having Reinhardt would, however, definitely help.
We lose potentially 3 of our top 5 scorers plus our #1D but most teams are going to be losing a D man so i haven't made that big a deal of it. This potentially makes Nathan Longpre our #1C, who has 9 points on the year! As i've been saying: relatively, this is still a bad lineup. There's no way around it. We will not get into the playoffs with this lineup.

The deciding factor is Ebbett and what happens to him. It might be a similar lineup, but its effectiveness is much lower. What MacT was able to get out of that lineup was great. The same cannot be said with Arniel when he's had even more to work with.

Quote:
Moreover, if Kesler can quickly come back then Chicago situation can improve quickly.

Actually I think, as far as development goes, that it might work out well for the Canucks as players like Connauton, Rodin and Archibald get an increased role and some like Polosek and Mallet get more opportunity.
I'm not going to rush Kesler back so we can improve our AHL team. He should take his time, come back when he is 110% ready. What should happen is Young has to solve this lineup issue by bringing in a C who can carry this team and the offensive load. EDIT: Maybe one comes back in a Luongo trade to offset the loss. Shore would really make sense and look good in there.

Last edited by thefeebster: 01-06-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Chicago Wolves ‏@Chicago_Wolves
OFFICIAL RELEASE: Wolves Sign Alexandre Grenier - The Chicago Wolves have signed right wing Alexandre Grenier. GR... http://******/2u7iaZ

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Wolves/s...88193654091779

Old
01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
Chicago Wolves ‏@Chicago_Wolves
OFFICIAL RELEASE: Wolves Sign Alexandre Grenier - The Chicago Wolves have signed right wing Alexandre Grenier. GR... http://******/2u7iaZ

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Wolves/s...88193654091779

Wolves signing = good. Let's see what he can do before the big club has to give him a contract.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
BoHorvat53
Crabs!

Damn, OKC was gonna play and Hall/Ebs/Schultz pulled off.

Closed Thread