HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top Defensemen in the 2013 Draft

Old
01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Everytime I tune in to watch Sproul, I come away very impressed with Nurse. He isn't in that top 3 discussion, but I do think he is going to be a heck of a player. Great raw tools to go with that massive frame.

That's just it, other guys might be ahead of him now but his projection might get him picked higher than someone ahead of him right now who is 6'0" 190lbs for instance, well actually all of the top Dmen this year have good size and projections for weight so maybe a forward like Hunter might drop.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
For what its worth, I have Morrissey ahead of Pulock.
I couldn't disagree with this more.

I find Morrissey often plays the riverboat gambler/4th forward way too often.

I think Pulock is miles ahead defensively than Morrissey and I don't think many would disagree with me on that. I also like Pulock's offensive game better as well. The offense seems to come to him way more naturally. Morrissey takes way more chances and is often unsuccessful which worries me. I find with defenseman if you can get more with less, I'll be more impressed.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Why? (Not being ride, I'm actually curious)
I like Morrissey's natural offensive ability better. Pulock is a very good puckmover with an outstanding shot, but I don't see him being a dynamic defenseman in the NHL. Morrissey brings a lot of different things to the game and IMO he has a higher ceiling than Pulock

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I couldn't disagree with this more.

I find Morrissey often plays the riverboat gambler/4th forward way too often.

I think Pulock is miles ahead defensively than Morrissey and I don't think many would disagree with me on that. I also like Pulock's offensive game better as well. The offense seems to come to him way more naturally. Morrissey takes way more chances and is often unsuccessful which worries me. I find with defenseman if you can get more with less, I'll be more impressed.
Pulock has never really shown me anything to suggest he will be an elite NHL player.

When I look at Morrissey all I see is potential. Skating, defensively, offensively, and physically I like his upside.

Not the biggest fan of Pulock defensive game. Relies a lot on his positioning and stick. Saw him Sundays night and he threw maybe 3-4 checks the entire game. This doesn't really hurt his game, but it's definitely something you would like to see him add to his game, especially with his size.

Don't get me wrong I am a big Ryan Pulock fan, but a bigger Josh Morrissey fan.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Pulock has never really shown me anything to suggest he will be an elite NHL player.

When I look at Morrissey all I see is potential. Skating, defensively, offensively, and physically I like his upside.

Not the biggest fan of Pulock defensive game. Relies a lot on his positioning and stick. Saw him Sundays night and he threw maybe 3-4 checks the entire game. This doesn't really hurt his game, but it's definitely something you would like to see him add to his game, especially with his size.

Don't get me wrong I am a big Ryan Pulock fan, but a bigger Josh Morrissey fan.
Agreed and I echo these comments. I would like to add that after you're done watching Pulock you always come out wanting more out of him. While you always come impressed with Morrissey and his hockey IQ; defensively he is really smart with the puck and has a Ryan Murray feel to the game. Do I think Pulock will be taken higher in the draft? Yes. But do I think Morrissey has the potential to be better than him? Definitely.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Agreed and I echo these comments. I would like to add that after you're done watching Pulock you always come out wanting more out of him. While you always come impressed with Morrissey and his hockey IQ; defensively he is really smart with the puck and has a Ryan Murray feel to the game. Do I think Pulock will be taken higher in the draft? Yes. But do I think Morrissey has the potential to be better than him? Definitely.
I disagree. I always come away very impressed about Pulock. He's very steady, and that's what I want out of a guy who's potentially going to be my #1 dman

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

I am usually satisfied with Pulock's play, but Morrissey impresses.

I am sure a lot of NHL teams are very excited about these two prospects. Both are extremely talented.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Let's remember that Pulock is one of the oldest players in the draft.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:17 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am usually satisfied with Pulock's play, but Morrissey impresses.

I am sure a lot of NHL teams are very excited about these two prospects. Both are extremely talented.
Oh definitely. It's even more exciting when you know you could be getting a player of that calibre in the middle of the 1st round

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Unkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
If anybody has seen much of Ristolainen, any armchair expert scouting reports are most appreciated. Does he compare to OEL at all in style?
I've seen "Rasse" a lot because he plays in my favourite team and I couldn't agree more to the comments that he's capable of being second best defender in this draft.

But he's not totally Ekman-Larsson -style. Yes, Ristolainen is a good skater for a player of his size and he plays with a lot confidence. First passes are always great from Ristolainen's stick and he doesn't make errors with the puck. But I think that Ristolainen's potential to score points is not as high as OEL has. He's good with the puck and very capable to play power play, but I just see OEL better with play making. Ristolainen plays pretty simple game in offensive side of the rink and he's got a good trust to his shot which is hard. Doesn't give stupid passes, but in the other way he's not a defender who makes easy goals for his teammates.

I think that OEL is more offensive defender than Ristolainen, who's got more potential in the defensive side than OEL. "Rasse" is very physical defender in his own end and he likes to tackle opponents when time comes. In front of his own net he is propably nastier than any other Finnish defender in NHL. If you drive to Ristolainen's team's net, "Rasse" will be there and clean it if you're too close to goalie.

Ristolainen had nice summer and he got a lot more weight and muscle to his body. I think that he weights now 16 pounds (7 kg) more than last year at this time. And I can see that this year he has been stronger and he's one of the most physical defenders in TPS's defense, in men's elite league.

Maybe the biggest problem in his playing is positioning in the defensive zone . But he's got better in that if we compare him to the same guy last season. So the biggest lacks are pretty much things where he can improve when he gains more and more experience.

I think that in future Rasse will be a good 2-way defender in NHL, who's very usable and versatile in power play and penalty kill. At the same time he's a calm and physical defender. If I had to compare him to some NHL-player, I would pick Brent Seabrook. He will be somenthing like Seabrook of his size, he's got a hard slap shot and he's good at the both sides of the rink. Doesn't panic under pressure and gives good and easy passes to his teammates.

--------

Hope that helped you.

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:38 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Top 5:

1) Jones
2) Pulock
3) Ristolanen
4) Morrisey
5) Zadarov

01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

That was a great report Unkki, thanks for the info.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Terrence
Homeless

1) Seth Jones
2) Rasmus Ristolainen
3) Ryan Pulock
4) Josh Morrissey
5) Darnell Nurse
6) Robert Hagg
7) Nikita Zadorov
8) Steve Santini
9) Madison Bowey
10) Shea Theodore

HM: Keaton Thompson, Ian McCoshen, Chris Bigras

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Ristolainen is probably the best besides Jones (IMO), but Morrissey doesn't get talked a lot on this site and he has a great skill set with a decent shot.

Robert Hagg is another defenseman who is rising.

Theodore has great offensive skill and has raw defensive game and size, which could turn into a solid TWD.

Ones to watch are Arnesson, Santini, and Zadorov as other potential risers. But the biggest darkhorses' are Eliot Antonietti and Mirco Mueller. Antonietti is a overrager shutdown guy with fantastic size and Mueller plays a safe, but effective two-way game. This year the talent between the first five and rest drops off considerable and then the talent of the 2nd/3rd rounds drop off after that again for defensemen.

Bowey has been a pretty disappointing player this year. Has great flashes of Drew Doughty in him, but way too inconsistent and watches the puck too much in the defensive zone.
Seen him play in the quarter-final game and he looked like he could barely skate.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
jonas2244

Indeed, no way Antonietti will get drafted, he does very well considering how limited he is on his skates.

Mirco Mueller is another thing, he could be among the first 10 drafted defenders (or just behind them). Great prospect.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:07 PM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Seen him play in the quarter-final game and he looked like he could barely skate.
No offence but you are blind maybe?

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
He is very, very raw, no doubt. But you cannot deny that potential is there if he can improve on certain aspects.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:30 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Crunched some numbers on Morrissey vs. Pulock. I'm not a numbers guy but was curious on a few stats.

Josh Morrissey:

GP:40 G:8 A:18 P:26
Primary Assists: 11 [61%]
Secondary Assists: 7 [39%]

Power Play Points: 15 [57.7%]

Ryan Pulock:

GP:35 G:10 A:21 P:31

Primary Assists: 7 [33.3%]
Secondary Assists: 14 [66.7%]

Power Play Points: 14 [45%]

Does it mean anything? Nope. Just found it interesting and thought I would share. Interesting to see the contrast in how players get their points. (I do not guarantee complete accuracy of stats )

Last edited by zjh: 01-06-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 06:29 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Crunched some numbers on Morrissey vs. Pulock. I'm not a numbers guy but was curious on a few stats.

Josh Morrissey:

GP:40 G:8 A:18 P:26
Primary Assists: 11 [61%]
Secondary Assists: 7 [39%]

Power Play Points: 15 [57.7%]

Ryan Pulock:

GP:35 G:10 A:21 P:31

Primary Assists: 7 [33.3%]
Secondary Assists: 14 [66.7%]

Power Play Points: 14 [45%]

Does it mean anything? Nope. Just found it interesting and thought I would share. Interesting to see the contrast in how players get their points. (I do not guarantee complete accuracy of stats )
Did you count these from game summaries or what's the link?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:02 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Keaton Thompson and Steven Santini have first round grades imo, and I think Thomas Vannelli has that talent, but there's some question marks.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Top 5:

1) Jones
2) Pulock
3) Ristolanen
4) Morrisey
5) Zadarov
This.

I could be convinced for Zadorov and Morrisey to be switched, and I'd add there's a considerable gap after the top 3.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Jones
Pulock
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Nurse

No Morrissey, haven't seen enough of him to make conclusions. Pulock gets the nod above Ristolainen because I think he has better off. potential. Very, very close though.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Did you count these from game summaries or what's the link?
Counted from summaries

Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK View Post
No offence but you are blind maybe?
You're right. I must have been looking at another 6'6 pylon. You must think I'm talking about Ristolainen, which I am not.

Quote:
He is very, very raw, no doubt. But you cannot deny that potential is there if he can improve on certain aspects.
There's obviously potential because of his size, but his skating looks very weak. There's a reason he's been passed over twice already.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote