HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Teravainen vs Gaudreau

Old
01-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot91 View Post
USHL All-Star Game

2010–11

All-USHL Second Team

2010–11

USHL Clark Cup Champion

2010–11

USHL "Rookie of the Year" 2010–2011

2010–11

NCAA Boston College Eagles "Beanpot MVP" 2012

2011–12

NCAA Boston College Eagles Hockey East all-tournament team

2011–12

Bill Flynn Trophy – Hockey East Most Valuable Player

2011–12

2011-2012 - Boston College

44 games played - 21 goals, 23 assists - 44 points

Named to World Juniors 2012-2013 All-Star Team
Alright it's collage & WJ acheviements. Both mean little when you compare to pro hockey, where Taravienen is already.

Gaudreau won't step into the AHL or wherever and dominate like he has at the NCAA level. And Taravienen is already doing fine at the pro level in a limited role.

I stick by Taravienen.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:27 AM
canucksPK

Teravainen is just so slick and subtly good. The players who do so much while doing so little are the ones to look out for, and thats Teravainen.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:43 AM
GranlundMagic

I was pretty impressed with Gaudreau, really skilled forward!

But Teuvo was best player of team Finland and he was that in every game. He had hell of a tournament.

He looked like a man middle of boys when he had puck and i'm not even talking about his amazing hands or dangles. I'm talking about his vision and how he keeps his head up all the time and makes a really quick and easy looking pass. You could see that especially in Finlands power play it wasn't Erik Karlsson on the blueline it was Teräväinen and he played just like Karlsson there it was amazing. ( I wonder where he learned that )

I'm not even comparing these two but I have to say both are special players. I just can't understand how someone can say ''easily Gaudreau''. I have never seen that young player who can play his head up all the time and stickhandle like that and make quick and easy plays, it's just impressive.

GranlundMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:55 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
No, hes really not.

Size is not issue in the NCAA, lol what?

Teuvo wouldnt be putting up the points Gaudreau has in the NCAA.
Look at the NCAA route, plenty of small players go through it then take sometime getting adjusted to the pro game once they reach the AHL, as I illustrated with the Schroeder example, even Gerbe spent alot of time in the AHL, he's another one.

And honestly I think Teuvo would, and I also doubt that Gaudreau would be able to put up the numbers in the Finnish mens league that Teuvo does.

Gaudreau is just a shiny new toy, no one was talking like this until he broke out against Germany.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:25 AM
ToBBa

Teräväinen was the best player of team Finland so he would have scored a lot more points in some other team. He is very underrated and imo the best drafted Finnish prospect.

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Pavel Datsjuk

You flames fans should be comparing Ma. Granlund and Gaudreau...

Pavel Datsjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
USHL All-Star Game

2010–11

All-USHL Second Team

2010–11

USHL Clark Cup Champion

2010–11

USHL "Rookie of the Year" 2010–2011

2010–11

NCAA Boston College Eagles "Beanpot MVP" 2012

2011–12

NCAA Boston College Eagles Hockey East all-tournament team

2011–12

Bill Flynn Trophy – Hockey East Most Valuable Player

2011–12

2011-2012 - Boston College

44 games played - 21 goals, 23 assists - 44 points

Named to World Juniors 2012-2013 All-Star Team

Very nice accomplishments....but this is a Flames prospect after all...we have been down this path before with the hype....remember Marty Murray, Dustin Boyd, Rica Fata, Daniel Tkaczuk? ...etc...all WJ stars...not that they are the same but most Flames prospects have not turned out to be anything in the last 10 yrs....

Gaudreau is a wonderful talent but he is a risky prospect.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Gaudreau is playing in Collage where size is no issue, Taravienen is playing the Finnish men's league.

He's got a point with the shiny toy thing, Taravienen is the better one atm.
Really!? cause when put on even playing field (lets forget about ncaa vs fel) who performed better and was the better player? easily john gaudreau.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Datsjuk View Post
You flames fans should be comparing Ma. Granlund and Gaudreau...
Sure for JG Flames fans are being told he's only out-playing/producing other prospects in a short tournament despite dominating his league at a very young age and body that still needs to mature. When he steps into the AHL and becomes the go to guy on the Heat once again we'll hear he can't beat NHL defense men and get a list of small guys.

Markus really is only producing in the WJC it gives some hope he'll find a top 6 spot in the NHL but he's not the same level prospect as Gaudreau at this point. That said I hope with some confidence he's able to find his game.

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Very nice accomplishments....but this is a Flames prospect after all...we have been down this path before with the hype....remember Marty Murray, Dustin Boyd, Rica Fata, Daniel Tkaczuk? ...etc...all WJ stars...not that they are the same but most Flames prospects have not turned out to be anything in the last 10 yrs....

Gaudreau is a wonderful talent but he is a risky prospect.
I don't get this. Just because he's drafted by the Flames and our past drafting record he's not going to succeed?

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I don't get this. Just because he's drafted by the Flames and our past drafting record he's not going to succeed?
Troll...successful.

I'd rather have JG with a 4th round pick than TT with a first round pick.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Teuvo without a doubt.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Saunacrew

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Really!? cause when put on even playing field (lets forget about ncaa vs fel) who performed better and was the better player? easily john gaudreau.
I didn't follow usa's games and clearly you didn't follow Finland's. Reason why I'm not going to pick better performancer in the tournament since stats hardly tell the whole truth. Also it's always easier to shine in a good team, and by that I mean team play+coaching rather than singular skills of a player.

Saunacrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
St. Louis was no bigger than Gaudreau at 19 years old. Gaudreau has plenty of time to put on muscle.

That's not to say I would take him over Tuevo.
2 things here, if people want to bring up St. Louis then they need to bring up the dozens of guys just like him in terms of size, stature ect...

Also I don't care what size St. Louis was then, it's really ahrd to project 175 lbs on johnny's frame and that's his biggest problem, adding that muscle mass and not losing any speed.

As it is for a really small guy Johnny isn't the fastest guy in the world either.

As for the poll it's Teravainen and it's not really even very close right now.

One guy is a top 15 prospect for a reason , while the other guy might just crack the top 100 two years after he was drafted (we will see where he stands with the 13 picks)

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunacrew View Post
I didn't follow usa's games and clearly you didn't follow Finland's. Reason why I'm not going to pick better performancer in the tournament since stats hardly tell the whole truth. Also it's always easier to shine in a good team, and by that I mean team play+coaching rather than singular skills of a player.
i followed both. being flame fan i was interested in watching both gaudreau and granlund. so clearly you know less about it than i do seeing as you admitted you didnt watch usa.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Saunacrew

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
i followed both. being flame fan i was interested in watching both gaudreau and granlund. so clearly you know less about it than i do seeing as you admitted you didnt watch usa.
To be said, yes you are right. Only thing I know about USA is that they had one of the best coaching staffs. But I'm only stating the previous message since I was the most impressed by TT's game and he clearly was the best player of Finland. Also I'm a homer like most of us here.

Saunacrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Gaudreau is a shrimp
Just like Brian Gionta. That Gionta will never play in the NHL.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
I like Gaudreau more, and I don't think a strong argument can be made for either of them having a higher ceiling. There is an argument for TT having a better chance at the NHL simply because he's a little bigger, though.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:25 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Look at the NCAA route, plenty of small players go through it then take sometime getting adjusted to the pro game once they reach the AHL, as I illustrated with the Schroeder example, even Gerbe spent alot of time in the AHL, he's another one.

And honestly I think Teuvo would, and I also doubt that Gaudreau would be able to put up the numbers in the Finnish mens league that Teuvo does.

Gaudreau is just a shiny new toy, no one was talking like this until he broke out against Germany.
Schroeder didn't put up close to as many points as Gaudreau has. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Gaudreau ripped up the USHL and NCAA with hardly any adjustment period at all. Same as the WJC's. With his track record I would bet money on his ability to adjust to the AHL.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Schroeder didn't put up close to as many points as Gaudreau has. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Gaudreau ripped up the USHL and NCAA with hardly any adjustment period at all. Same as the WJC's. With his track record I would bet money on his ability to adjust to the AHL.
I wouldn't pay much mind to him if he thinks people were only noticing him because of the WJC he most likely has no idea he kept pace with Kreider last year in his rookie year at BC.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:58 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest* View Post
Might want to take a look at Gaudreau's season last year.

Oilers fan.
LOL

Derpity derp.

Look at the average size of NCAA hockey players. It's not uncommon to have a 5'2 player skating around like he's part of the team too.

Put him with grown men.

Can't wait for your St. Louis argument.

Irrelevant hockey fan with limited to no knowledge.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
LOL

Derpity derp.

Look at the average size of NCAA hockey players. It's not uncommon to have a 5'2 player skating around like he's part of the team too.

Put him with grown men.

Can't wait for your St. Louis argument.

Irrelevant hockey fan with limited to no knowledge.
The average height in NCAA is a couple of inches below the average height in the NHL. It's not a bunch of midgets on skates.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I like Gaudreau more, and I don't think a strong argument can be made for either of them having a higher ceiling. There is an argument for TT having a better chance at the NHL simply because he's a little bigger, though.
He's also got plenty of room to fill out, not even close being physically fully developed for NHL. He can also improve his skating speed (technically he's fine as a skater), shot power and above all, defensive game.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:54 AM
DontToewzMeBro

You guys are insane!

Teuvo was drafted like 100 spots higher for a reason, he had better tools and vision and most importantly is a much more fluid skater.

TT plays against men, who are physical, stronger and much better one on one than a bunch of unknown college kids

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
You guys are insane!

Teuvo was drafted like 100 spots higher for a reason, he had better tools and vision and most importantly is a much more fluid skater.

TT plays against men, who are physical, stronger and much better one on one than a bunch of unknown college kids
You think if Gaudreau was a 2012 draft eligible (and he was close to being one), he wouldn't have gone in the first round after his freshman year at BC?

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote