HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 04:33 AM
Matt Martin
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
@AdamSchefter
Filed to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.
come on down Nassib

Old
01-06-2013, 05:05 AM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Leave it to the Bills to ruin the 15 minutes of sports excitement I had due to the lockout ending.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

LOL.

The only bright light here is some guy on the BBMB said he was gunna change his SN to I Am A Marrone or something along those lines.

Its almost like they tried to sneak this ne by us? Happened while we were all sleeping.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Takeo

Interesting choice. I don't know much about him, other than every team with a job opening wanting to speak with him.

Last edited by Takeo: 01-06-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Interesting choice. I don't know much about Marrone, other than every team with a job opening wanting to speak with him.
Improved a basically dead program in an awful conference. Not a great record, but yeah.

This reeks of something Ralphie would do, did the old man regain control of the operations last night?!

He's 48.....

OC with the Saints from 06-08.

OL Coach with the Jersey Jets from 02-05.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Wonder if Te'o will be the pick now?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:38 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Marrone was my #3 choice after Chip and Lovie. I'm just happy it's not Ken Whisenhunt! A little sad that he's leaving Cuse though

Old
01-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Marrone was my #3 choice after Chip and Lovie. I'm just happy it's not Ken Whisenhunt! A little sad that he's leaving Cuse though
Lol, you're giving up though, right?!

Old
01-06-2013, 06:47 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Lol, you're giving up though, right?!
No this hire I'm happy with. Never thought he would A. Leave SU or B. That we would hire him. The MSM pretty much painted that Whisenhunt was going to be named coach, instead we hire Marrone. Bittersweet choice, he had SU on the right track, and now I think he can turn the Bills around too.He is a polar opposite of Chan. If we can go Te'o and Nassib 1-2 then I think we can easily go 8-8 in 2013.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Takeo

A little whacky, I like it.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
No this hire I'm happy with. Never thought he would A. Leave SU or B. That we would hire him. The MSM pretty much painted that Whisenhunt was going to be named coach, instead we hire Marrone. Bittersweet choice, he had SU on the right track, and now I think he can turn the Bills around too.He is a polar opposite of Chan. If we can go Te'o and Nassib 1-2 then I think we can easily go 8-8 in 2013.
Lol okay. Just checking, you seemed that you would if it wasn't Lovie or Chip.

This is like Gailey. Gailey came out of left field last time. Just about everyone had Frazier being the HC(bot sure that would have been any better.)

The only thing is...I don't know if this guy gets intense, in officials faces and stuff. Chan didn't. I don't watch SU much. Chan has no bbackbone. Jauron didn't either. Looked like we were attending a weekly funeral.

He should bring his DC

Old
01-06-2013, 07:00 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Lol okay. Just checking, you seemed that you would if it wasn't Lovie or Chip.

This is like Gailey. Gailey came out of left field last time. Just about everyone had Frazier being the HC(bot sure that would have been any better.)

The only thing is...I don't know if this guy gets intense, in officials faces and stuff. Chan didn't. I don't watch SU much. Chan has no bbackbone. Jauron didn't either. Looked like we were attending a weekly funeral.

He should bring his DC
Yes Lovie and Chip were my top two choices but Marrones hiring definitely pleases me. I didn't think he was going to get hired this year or else I would have listed him with the other two. I figured this year would have been the token interviews to get him ready for a NFL jump in a season or two, never figured it would be this year.

Marrone is a hard ass. Nothing like Gailey. Only similarity is that no one expected us to hire him just like with Chan but after that they are nothing alike. Marrone is knowledgable and just a great guy in general. I'm still shocked and sad at the same time, I don't want him to leave SU but on the other hand if he is going to leave I'm glad it's to coach our team. And again, I'm just ecstatic it wasn't Ray Horton or Ken Whisenhunt.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Takeo

I don't think this hiring is all that surprising. Whisenhunt and Marrone were the first names mentioned. He was the third or fourth candidate interviewed. East Syracuse connection to Brandon. And a young, innovative coach who can continue the regionalization process.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:21 AM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

I don't wanna tell you guys I told ya so, but....

this is a pretty great day so far.

EDIT: For anyone that will listen to me, this is a great hire. I see a lot of posters on different sites fuming because we didn't hire the big name candidate. But this is not a typical Bills hire as in a retread head coach with a mediocre record. Doug Marrone is a passionate guy that turned Cuse's football program around over the past four years, and now he can help us.

I'd say at this point that its almost a guarantee that we draft Nassib; Marrone already has 4 years experience with him, and coached him to breaking nearly all of Cuse's passing records.

Don't be sad guys, be happy, this is a great move!

Last edited by CraniumCram: 01-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Mergus

Greg Robinson Syracuse record (05-08):
10-37 and 3-25 in conference

Doug Marrone (09-12):
25-25 and 11-17 in conference

Not stellar, but an improvement. You can only do so much with limited weapons. They also won two bowl games as the underdog...

I was on board with pretty much anyone but Wiz...

Old
01-06-2013, 07:52 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Bring me Manti Teo!

Don't hate the hire, but preferred the OC from the Broncos.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:56 AM
aceface33

From what my dad tells me (he watches more 'cuse than me) Marrone sounds like Chip Kelly junior in the way he runs his offense. Cant say I'd be upset if that's the case.

Last edited by aceface33: 01-06-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Digable5

For everyone that wanted Chip Kelly, you pretty much got your wish. They practically ran the same offense last year. The difference is that Marrone is a bit more conservative and has NFL playing and coaching experience. Plus, he didn't have the talent or Nike money/facilities Chip had at Oregon.

My biggest concern about Chip was that part of his success was do to the speed and talent advantage he had at Oregon over other teams that he would not have had here. Marrone did it with what many considered 2 or 3 star talent.

I would have preferred Marrone stay at Syracuse, but I am optimistic as a Bills fan that he can do even better here. You wont want to hear it, but I think Fitzpatrick would be a good fit for his offense. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Ryan Nassib was a Bills choice in the draft. I think of him much like Fitzpatrick but in a good way. They are both smart, pretty mobile QBs, but Ryan has a stronger arm and was clutch for Syracuse in the 4th quarter.

Other Syracuse draft picks to keep in mind....OL Justin Pugh for RT(early rounds), WR Alec Lemon, CB Keon Lyn (rumored to declare), S Shamarko Thomas (later rounds or undrafted). I would also like to see what undersized LB Diabate could do as a safety.

As for coaches, OC Nate Hackett was a quality control coach for the Bills and did a great job calling plays this season for Syracuse. Success on defense was almost solely on Scott Shafer's shoulders. I think here is a great coach that players really get psyched to play for. Not sure who he has in mind, but I thought I would share. Marrone is also a OL coach at heart if you weren't aware and completely retrained the Syracuse OL from their previous regime and turned a weakness into a strength.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
aceface33

Marrone took Syracuse from one of the worst teams in the FBS to respectability, although not greatness. Also, I wonder if it will be tough to get Nassib- other teams are going to know we want him. 8th is too high to pick him I think but I don't know if he would make it to the Bills second round pick.

This isn't the Gailey hire in the sense that other teams were at least interviewing Marrone. There was some interest from the NFL there, it wasn't completely out of left field.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Marrone took Syracuse from one of the worst teams in the FBS to respectability, although not greatness. Also, I wonder if it will be tough to get Nassib- other teams are going to know we want him. 8th is too high to pick him I think but I don't know if he would make it to the Bills second round pick.
I am a Nassib fan, but I do not take him with a first round pick. My biggest concerns with him are the deep ball (not arm strength) and telegraphing plays. Nassib has plenty of arm, many people say he sometimes throws too hard on short and intermediate routes, but he occasionally puts too much air under the deep throw and sometimes under throws it trying to hold back from overthrowing it.

Even more scary is how I have seen if telegraph plays. Fitzpatrick does a great job hiding screens, where as Nassib almost looks that way immediately after the snap and waits for it to open, only to give the ball to a player with a defender on his doorstep. The WVU - Pinstripe Bowl is also an example of Nassib staring down his receiver allowing the defender to jump the route for an INT.

With some additional coaching and growth Nassib could be very good, but I'd rather get him in the 2nd or later because to me he isn't a first round slam dunk success.

EDIT: I would consider him a Brett Favre type prospect. He'll be a 2nd round pick with a strong arm, throws a few too many interceptions but finds ways to win.

Last edited by Digable5: 01-06-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 08:57 AM
buffswords

Bring in Keith Butler for DC. (assistant behind Dick Lebeau)

Old
01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffswords View Post
Bring in Keith Butler for DC. (assistant behind Dick Lebeau)
Probably not leaving, he is heir apparent in Steel town (LeBeau doesn't have many years left)

Old
01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. It was the kind of hire I wanted them to make, even if it wasn't the exact guy.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
I'm cool with it. It's unexpected, and though not what I wanted, I don't mind them trying something new.

Go get a ****ing QB now.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Takeo

God the NHL stuff is ruining this hire. I want to hear a little local coverage on WGR, but I can't stomach the hockey stuff. Ughh

Closed Thread