HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

Old
01-06-2013, 04:08 AM
Hugg

vCash: 500
16 hours and counting...

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:13 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Better get our avatars for this season ready...

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

A tentative agreement has been reached between NHL and NHLPA - source

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Confirmed by @Sportsnet. Tentative #CBA deal reached. Congrats hockey fans!

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Lockout is tentatively over.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:16 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Rims also tweeting agreement and 50 games.

About freakin time.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Hugg

Hard to keep all the rumors straight over the last couple weeks. Weren't we supposedly flipping divisions with Winnipeg?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:48 AM
gocbj

Finally Over

ESPN reporting there is an agreement. On TV only so far...

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:49 AM
gocbj

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/88...nt-source-says

Old
01-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Looks like Bettman and Fehr have confirmed. Sounds like 50 games if season starts on the 15th or 48 games if it starts on the 19th. I am most interested in seeing how revenue sharing was settled.

Quote:
"Don Fehr and I are here to tell you that we have reached an agreement on the framework of a new collective bargaining agreement, the details of which need to be put to paper," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed to reporters early Sunday morning.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Let's get it on with the hockey!!

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 01-06-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:03 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Looks like Bettman and Fehr have confirmed. Sounds like 50 games if season starts on the 15th or 48 games if it starts on the 19th. I am most interested in seeing how revenue sharing was settled.

Let's get it on with the hockey!!
?!

Link?

EDIT: Nevermind

Abbondanza, CBJ fans!

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
EDM

I will find it very hard to generate any enthusiasm for this short season. But it is very good news for so many in the Arena District who need hockey to support their businesses.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:44 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Hard to keep all the rumors straight over the last couple weeks. Weren't we supposedly flipping divisions with Winnipeg?
Brooks came out with the rumour while Dreger said it was false.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Brooks came out with the rumour while Dreger said it was false.
Supposedly they already have a 50 game and 48 game schedule ready to go. You would think that if that were the case we would have heard something by now. Of course the way things have been going, who the hell knows. I really don't see why the Jets and CBJ couldn't switch if both teams were really pushing for it.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:01 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Supposedly they already have a 50 game and 48 game schedule ready to go. You would think that if that were the case we would have heard something by now. Of course the way things have been going, who the hell knows. I really don't see why the Jets and CBJ couldn't switch if both teams were really pushing for it.
Who makes the call? Does it have to get approved by a vote by the owners(or GM's or even the NHLPA)? Can Gary Bettman just do it on his own?

Also, I guess if another team(Detroit) argues that it should be them and not Columbus could be a problem. But in a tweet, I think Brooks said with the Blue Jackets and the Jets being both non playoff teams last year, it would be fair. I guess we'll find out soon.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:01 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Probably because it would make too much sense.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
gocbj

The timing is about exactly on 94-95. Here is what happened there:

The lockout ended on January 11, 1995. As a result, the league shortened the season length from 84 games, the length of the previous two seasons, to 48. Furthermore, the season would last from January 20 to May 3; this was the first and only time in NHL history that the regular season extended into May. Regular-season games would be limited to intra-conference play (Eastern Conference teams did not play Western Conference teams). During the lockout, the NHL and NHLPA agreed to shorten future seasons to 82 games. San Jose, which was to host the All-Star game that year, was awarded the 1997 game instead.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Who makes the call? Does it have to get approved by a vote by the owners(or GM's or even the NHLPA)? Can Gary Bettman just do it on his own?

Also, I guess if another team(Detroit) argues that it should be them and not Columbus could be a problem. But in a tweet, I think Brooks said with the Blue Jackets and the Jets being both non playoff teams last year, it would be fair. I guess we'll find out soon.
All good questions. Of course the big consideration for both teams is travel expenses, and time zone differentials.

A lot of people assume money isn't the issue with Canadian teams, but I read an interesting article about that a while back and I wish I could remember where to link to it. It was all about Corporate sponsorships, and how the smaller market Canadian teams, while filling their arenas every night, struggle more for the big corporate money.

Anyway, don't want to get OT. I think it would be a great idea to switch them. It would be nice to be able to watch all CBJ games. I am in bed for the west coast 10:30 starts.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
EspenK

Here's a link to a story about a 48 game schedule.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...edly-look-like

28 games against Det,Chi,St L & Nash or FL,TB,Wash,Carolina?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Hugg

Quote:
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Many have asked: #NHL vehemently shot down #CBJ to East / #WPG to West talk for this season. Could happen in future, but not this season.
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...14104562253824

Old
01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
All good questions. Of course the big consideration for both teams is travel expenses, and time zone differentials.

A lot of people assume money isn't the issue with Canadian teams, but I read an interesting article about that a while back and I wish I could remember where to link to it. It was all about Corporate sponsorships, and how the smaller market Canadian teams, while filling their arenas every night, struggle more for the big corporate money.

Anyway, don't want to get OT. I think it would be a great idea to switch them. It would be nice to be able to watch all CBJ games. I am in bed for the west coast 10:30 starts.
For me, it's the opposite. By the time I get off work, I've missed most of the game(not including the weekends) so I rely on the late starts to catch a full game. Then again, Columbus has more success when I don't watch them play compared to when I do it could be a good thing.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Seedtype

That's disappointing. I guess they must have had the schedules written up, or maybe there was some opposition elsewhere.
Ugh, I feel like we're gonna get eaten up by the Central division.

Edit: Well, at least we get to watch the cannon fire off again! Woo!

Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Good day for the various non-NHLPA/NHL workers who have been needlessly hurt by this garbage.

From what's trickling down about the final deal, I don't think there's anything earth-shattering in there that couldn't have been hammered out months ago. Hope it was worth it for both sides...

Oh well, the best thing about the deal is that we will have at least another 8 years before we get another lockout.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Speedy Sanderson

I should be pissed at the owners and players for the shenanigans they pulled these last several months, but when I woke up this morning and heard there was a deal, the first thing I looked for was the revised schedule so I can start planning my next few months. I suspect many of the people who said they'd never watch the NHL again, etc., are going to find it difficult to stay away once the games start. It's the most exciting sport out there, and despite my feelings that us fans got screwed in the whole thing, I'll have a hard time not going to Nationwide.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
mmajeski06

About damn time! And at least we don't have to do this for another 10 years.

mmajeski06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I will find it very hard to generate any enthusiasm for this short season. But it is very good news for so many in the Arena District who need hockey to support their businesses.
My feelings exactly.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm kind of ho hum about a shortened season. I will go and watch them play having left my half season on the books.

My biggest interest this year will be to see who wants to play for the Jackets. Davidson will be quietly in the background dropping the hammer on guys showing just for a paycheck.

Lastly, I would have been ok with a cancelled season at this point, I never thought I would feel so apothetic towards NHL hockey as I still do now that lockout is over.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

I'm glad hockey is back.....I've missed it. I also missed posting & reading the collective angst here!

The lockout sucked, as usual the fans & support staff at the various arenas & surrounding businesses take the brunt of it. Always have, always will.

Anyway...........let the arguments over line combinations begin!!

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote