HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Players and Owners reach an agreement (MOD: circa 5am ET 1/6/13)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
  #76
TheFeistyFinn
Registered User
 
TheFeistyFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 460
vCash: 50
**** yeah! go wild!

TheFeistyFinn is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
  #77
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I hope this is wrong and it's not just the last year:

Contract salary variance is capped at 35 percent year-to-year, with the provision that the last year can't vary more than 50 percent of the highest-salaried year, a source told ESPN.com.


Could leave room for some shenanigans in the middle years with the 35% variance.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
  #78
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I hope this is wrong and it's not just the last year:

Contract salary variance is capped at 35 percent year-to-year, with the provision that the last year can't vary more than 50 percent of the highest-salaried year, a source told ESPN.com.


Could leave room for some shenanigans in the middle years with the 35% variance.
So far we haven't received any details about the variance but I doubt that is true, all reports so far have suggested that the 50% minimum applies to all years, not just the last.

I've seen conflicting reports of whether that 50% minimum is of the first year or the highest year. Along with the 35% y-o-y variance and 8y contract limit, it doesn't really matter, teams can't circumvent the cap.

Pepper is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
  #79
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,705
vCash: 500
With a new CA, if the Yotes deal goes through it could be quiet times on the Business Board.

It might be hard to justify paying all those mods big bucks to police a debate on the nuances of the new revenue sharing rule.

Fourier is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:12 AM
  #80
grog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
**** the NHL, they can't jerk me around like this, I'm a hockey fan, not an NHL fan and I say screw them and their pathetic half-season.
Calm down children, mommy will give you the toy, seriously, they don't owe you anything, if you want to behave like an angry 3yr old go ahead, but you don't need to advertise your immaturity. As some are prone to saying in reference to player salaries, it's only game, I suppose it shouldn't be but the ridiculous comments by so called fans is startling, and some think the players are stupid?

Watch, or don't.

grog is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:30 AM
  #81
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Calm down children, mommy will give you the toy, seriously, they don't owe you anything, if you want to behave like an angry 3yr old go ahead, but you don't need to advertise your immaturity. As some are prone to saying in reference to player salaries, it's only game, I suppose it shouldn't be but the ridiculous comments by so called fans is startling, and some think the players are stupid?

Watch, or don't.
It's a business first, sport second. Whether people like it, doesn't matter, it's reality.

mapes is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 AM
  #82
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
"Welcome to Russia, Mr. Letang. Here's your ticket back to the United States, your plane leaves in 15 minutes".
Haha

Deal seems fair. Excited that hockeys back but still very angry it took so long to come up with that.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 AM
  #83
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,555
vCash: 612
[Jerry Lawler voice]Bettman wins! Bettman wins! Bettman wins![Jerry Lawler voice]

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
  #84
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,992
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
[Jerry Lawler voice]Bettman wins! Bettman wins! Bettman wins![Jerry Lawler voice]
[jimross] Mrs. Bettman's baby boy!

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:45 AM
  #85
Falconone
Registered User
 
Falconone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suburb of Boston MA
Country: United States
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconone View Post
Have a real serious urge to listen to a tape of Etta James sing this, though I'll take Beyonce or Xtina's version.

maybe the First medley of arena music should open the first games with a version of this song seems so appropriate dontcha think.
Absent a link to Xtina or Beyonce's version, this will have to do !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCTKYCpujk

Falconone is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:46 AM
  #86
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,722
vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
"Welcome to Russia, Mr. Letang. Here's your ticket back to the United States, your plane leaves in 15 minutes".
What an idiot, why did he sign with a new team this week?

In 2 weeks we would have known whether there was a new CBA or none at all.

octopi is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 AM
  #87
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Calm down children, mommy will give you the toy, seriously, they don't owe you anything, if you want to behave like an angry 3yr old go ahead, but you don't need to advertise your immaturity. As some are prone to saying in reference to player salaries, it's only game, I suppose it shouldn't be but the ridiculous comments by so called fans is startling, and some think the players are stupid?

Watch, or don't.
The problem with that is that sports tries to have it both ways. When they screw the fans out of a legitimate season it's a business. When they want you back or worse, want public money and concessions, they're a public trust. Everyone knew the NHL was going to settle on this BS half season back in September. I was hoping they'd blow the season off and come back legitimately next year. My busy time is between now and April, which basically means I miss the whole season. And then I get the privilege of buying the most expensive playoff seats in the sport at MSG.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
  #88
BCShark
Registered User
 
BCShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
and we all come crawling back...

BCShark is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
  #89
Hockeycast
Registered User
 
Hockeycast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 696
vCash: 794
Yes Yes Yes! Wohoo!

Hockeycast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:15 AM
  #90
WWAD
Registered User
 
WWAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
With a new CA, if the Yotes deal goes through it could be quiet times on the Business Board.

It might be hard to justify paying all those mods big bucks to police a debate on the nuances of the new revenue sharing rule.
We'll still have a fair share of expansion to Quebec City/Seattle/London/Hamilton threads and the annual Forbes franchise ranking **********.

WWAD is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
  #91
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,730
vCash: 500
What exactly are the ramification of this?

The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Whats the point of declaring an upper limit but telling teams they can overspend it? Why not just say the cap is 70.2

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:22 AM
  #92
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,280
vCash: 500
A soft cap?

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:28 AM
  #93
Bills09
Registered User
 
Bills09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pickering, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
What exactly are the ramification of this?

The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Whats the point of declaring an upper limit but telling teams they can overspend it? Why not just say the cap is 70.2
likely to do with escrow.

Bills09 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
  #94
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,492
vCash: 500
Is cap space this season prorated/saved?

IE, if you have 4m cap space (66m on the books) if a full season had been played, can you like take on a 6m contract for the "rest" (full 52 games) season?

Ola is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
  #95
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
What an idiot, why did he sign with a new team this week?

In 2 weeks we would have known whether there was a new CBA or none at all.
He signed with SKA on Friday but agreed to begin playing in Russia only if the NHL season was officially cancelled. He's still in North America, last I read in Montreal with his GF and kid.

Crease is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:33 AM
  #96
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
What an idiot, why did he sign with a new team this week?

In 2 weeks we would have known whether there was a new CBA or none at all.
Because if the season got axed roster spots in Europe would fill up fast. he wanted to unsure he played.

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
  #97
Dusk Soldier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
What exactly are the ramification of this?

The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Whats the point of declaring an upper limit but telling teams they can overspend it? Why not just say the cap is 70.2
I think they set the cap to 60mil, but teams already over that amount are allowed to stay over it.

Dusk Soldier is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
  #98
Sushiko
Damn Blues
 
Sushiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHX AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The problem with that is that sports tries to have it both ways. When they screw the fans out of a legitimate season it's a business. When they want you back or worse, want public money and concessions, they're a public trust. Everyone knew the NHL was going to settle on this BS half season back in September. I was hoping they'd blow the season off and come back legitimately next year. My busy time is between now and April, which basically means I miss the whole season. And then I get the privilege of buying the most expensive playoff seats in the sport at MSG.
I agree completely with your view on it being a business, etc.

Also the financial situation - I won't be heading to my arena or buying anything mostly because I just plain can't afford it. I suppose if I have to have a few months in my life where I can't afford jack squat, I'd rather it be during a lockout and the not-even-half-arsed "season". I'm disappointed enough I didn't want to run back ASAP with my wallet out anyway.

Sushiko is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 AM
  #99
Stump
Registered User
 
Stump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cupcake Summit
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
So, who won the CBA negotiations? The NHL or the NHLPA?

Stump is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  #100
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,076
vCash: 500
Accidently put this in the news only thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur
Players held the line on a US$64.3-million cap in 2013-14, and got a guarantee it can't drop beyond that in future years of the deal.

Is this true, if so no linkage?

ti-vite is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.