HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Players and Owners reach an agreement (MOD: circa 5am ET 1/6/13)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
TheFeistyFinn

vCash: 50
**** yeah! go wild!

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I hope this is wrong and it's not just the last year:

Contract salary variance is capped at 35 percent year-to-year, with the provision that the last year can't vary more than 50 percent of the highest-salaried year, a source told ESPN.com.

Could leave room for some shenanigans in the middle years with the 35% variance.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I hope this is wrong and it's not just the last year:

Contract salary variance is capped at 35 percent year-to-year, with the provision that the last year can't vary more than 50 percent of the highest-salaried year, a source told ESPN.com.

Could leave room for some shenanigans in the middle years with the 35% variance.
So far we haven't received any details about the variance but I doubt that is true, all reports so far have suggested that the 50% minimum applies to all years, not just the last.

I've seen conflicting reports of whether that 50% minimum is of the first year or the highest year. Along with the 35% y-o-y variance and 8y contract limit, it doesn't really matter, teams can't circumvent the cap.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Fourier

With a new CA, if the Yotes deal goes through it could be quiet times on the Business Board.

It might be hard to justify paying all those mods big bucks to police a debate on the nuances of the new revenue sharing rule.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:12 AM
grog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
**** the NHL, they can't jerk me around like this, I'm a hockey fan, not an NHL fan and I say screw them and their pathetic half-season.
Calm down children, mommy will give you the toy, seriously, they don't owe you anything, if you want to behave like an angry 3yr old go ahead, but you don't need to advertise your immaturity. As some are prone to saying in reference to player salaries, it's only game, I suppose it shouldn't be but the ridiculous comments by so called fans is startling, and some think the players are stupid?

Watch, or don't.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:30 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Calm down children, mommy will give you the toy, seriously, they don't owe you anything, if you want to behave like an angry 3yr old go ahead, but you don't need to advertise your immaturity. As some are prone to saying in reference to player salaries, it's only game, I suppose it shouldn't be but the ridiculous comments by so called fans is startling, and some think the players are stupid?

Watch, or don't.
It's a business first, sport second. Whether people like it, doesn't matter, it's reality.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
"Welcome to Russia, Mr. Letang. Here's your ticket back to the United States, your plane leaves in 15 minutes".
Haha

Deal seems fair. Excited that hockeys back but still very angry it took so long to come up with that.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
[Jerry Lawler voice]Bettman wins! Bettman wins! Bettman wins![Jerry Lawler voice]

Old
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
[Jerry Lawler voice]Bettman wins! Bettman wins! Bettman wins![Jerry Lawler voice]
[jimross] Mrs. Bettman's baby boy!

Old
01-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Falconone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconone View Post
Have a real serious urge to listen to a tape of Etta James sing this, though I'll take Beyonce or Xtina's version.

maybe the First medley of arena music should open the first games with a version of this song seems so appropriate dontcha think.
Absent a link to Xtina or Beyonce's version, this will have to do !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCTKYCpujk

Old
01-06-2013, 07:46 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
"Welcome to Russia, Mr. Letang. Here's your ticket back to the United States, your plane leaves in 15 minutes".
What an idiot, why did he sign with a new team this week?

In 2 weeks we would have known whether there was a new CBA or none at all.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog View Post

Watch, or don't.
The problem with that is that sports tries to have it both ways. When they screw the fans out of a legitimate season it's a business. When they want you back or worse, want public money and concessions, they're a public trust. Everyone knew the NHL was going to settle on this BS half season back in September. I was hoping they'd blow the season off and come back legitimately next year. My busy time is between now and April, which basically means I miss the whole season. And then I get the privilege of buying the most expensive playoff seats in the sport at MSG.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
BCShark

and we all come crawling back...

Old
01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
Yes Yes Yes! Wohoo!

Old
01-06-2013, 08:15 AM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
With a new CA, if the Yotes deal goes through it could be quiet times on the Business Board.

It might be hard to justify paying all those mods big bucks to police a debate on the nuances of the new revenue sharing rule.
We'll still have a fair share of expansion to Quebec City/Seattle/London/Hamilton threads and the annual Forbes franchise ranking **********.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

What exactly are the ramification of this?

The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Whats the point of declaring an upper limit but telling teams they can overspend it? Why not just say the cap is 70.2

Old
01-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Melrose Munch

A soft cap?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Bills09

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million

Whats the point of declaring an upper limit but telling teams they can overspend it? Why not just say the cap is 70.2
likely to do with escrow.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Ola

Is cap space this season prorated/saved?

IE, if you have 4m cap space (66m on the books) if a full season had been played, can you like take on a 6m contract for the "rest" (full 52 games) season?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post

He signed with SKA on Friday but agreed to begin playing in Russia only if the NHL season was officially cancelled. He's still in North America, last I read in Montreal with his GF and kid.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:33 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post

Because if the season got axed roster spots in Europe would fill up fast. he wanted to unsure he played.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

I think they set the cap to 60mil, but teams already over that amount are allowed to stay over it.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The problem with that is that sports tries to have it both ways. When they screw the fans out of a legitimate season it's a business. When they want you back or worse, want public money and concessions, they're a public trust. Everyone knew the NHL was going to settle on this BS half season back in September. I was hoping they'd blow the season off and come back legitimately next year. My busy time is between now and April, which basically means I miss the whole season. And then I get the privilege of buying the most expensive playoff seats in the sport at MSG.
I agree completely with your view on it being a business, etc.

Also the financial situation - I won't be heading to my arena or buying anything mostly because I just plain can't afford it. I suppose if I have to have a few months in my life where I can't afford jack squat, I'd rather it be during a lockout and the not-even-half-arsed "season". I'm disappointed enough I didn't want to run back ASAP with my wallet out anyway.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Stump

So, who won the CBA negotiations? The NHL or the NHLPA?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM
ti-vite

Accidently put this in the news only thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur
Players held the line on a US$64.3-million cap in 2013-14, and got a guarantee it can't drop beyond that in future years of the deal.

Is this true, if so no linkage?

Closed Thread