HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Hell yes. Whatever it takes sign Geno.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Just like I was saying for the longest time that Sid would take 8.7, I will take bets that Geno will not ask for a higher cap-hit than Sid, and will thus get 8 years, or less years if for some reason he prefers that, at 8.7 per.
If Geno takes 8.7 a year over 8 years, there are no professional athletes like him, and he will prove that winning takes more precedent over getting paid what he should.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Kunitz/Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz/Tangradi - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Vitale - Adams - Jeffrey

*Stolen from Tender Rip*
Orpik - Letang
Martin - Engelland
Despres - Niskanen

Fleury
Vokoun
Agreed with the forwards line up. That third line is a ***** to play against

However, don't see Orpik staying first pair for long if Martin gets his **** together and starts playing like the money he's being payed, plus the game seems to be catching up to Orpik.
Niskanen will not be on the third pair, Engelland goes down to third pairing.

Despres and Bortz fight over nr 6/7. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bortz and Despres on third and Engo as nr 7.

Don't think anyone else from the baby pens make the roster this year, perhaps Dumolin. The real test will come next season.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:41 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
with training camp being very short does that mean that less AHL guys are going to g.et invited to it?

I'd buy out Lovejoy (if that's possible) and go with this lineup for the first few weeks.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Tangradi/Bennett - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey/Adams

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Strait/Bortuzzo - Engelland
Bortuzzo/Strait

then decide what to do going forward. Do you think there is any chance that someone decent becomes available after being bought out?
They don't need to buy out Lovejoy. They can just waive him and send him to WBS. He only makes 525K and they only owe him 1/2 of that.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Neal Malkin Kennedy
Cooke Sutter Jeffrey
Glass Vitale Tangradi

Orpik Letang
Martin Engelland
Despres Niskanen
Bortuzzo

Vokoun
Fleury

Hopefully Tangradi can push his way further up the lineup and we can find a way to add a top6/RH shot for the PP winger for Crosby's line.

Otherwise we should be good.... if the demented D/PK/Goalie-showing of the Philly series is behind us.
That's probably how it shakes out, but I really, really hate the idea of TK being with Geno (or Sid for that matter).

EDIT: And, if that is how it turns out, I want to see neither Dupuis nor TK in the top six when the playoffs come.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
deakka

I have a feeling Jeffrey may suprise us this year. Maybe playing on the 3rd line with Suter and one of TK/Cooke. Depending on how out top 6 shakes out.

From the reports hes been looking good in europe during this lookout. And while the competition is lower, he looks to have regained his speed after his injury.

I also would be on lookout for us to move at least one defenseman for a pick/prospect. Its a really deep draft so every extra pick counts. One of Strait/Bortuzzo should get us a 2nd/3rd pick one would think, and a guy like Lovejoy doesnt see to be in anyones plans right now, so a 6/7 rounder for him would be nice, otherwise, as someone said, just waive him.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
JTG

I'd definitely give Tangradi a solid 10 game stay on a line with Malkin and Neal.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'd definitely give Tangradi a solid 10 game stay on a line with Malkin and Neal.
I wouldnt the way hes looked the last 15 games for the WBS

And if they do, i bet its to give him one last chance.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
KIRK

Quote:
If Geno takes an identical deal to Sid with the 8 year max, his cap hit will be 10.8 million.
I don't know why, but I think this summer Geno signs a 8 year, 69.6M deal and has an understanding with the organization that he can have 8.7M a year for another four years when that deal expires. At that point, he'd be like 37, so he may do it or may go play in the KHL. Either way, I think he keeps the 'I get what Sid gets for a cap hit' thing out of respect for Sid and to help the team. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he insists otherwise. Maybe the team does a little more.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Agreed with the forwards line up. That third line is a ***** to play against

However, don't see Orpik staying first pair for long if Martin gets his **** together and starts playing like the money he's being payed, plus the game seems to be catching up to Orpik.
Niskanen will not be on the third pair, Engelland goes down to third pairing.
So something like...

Martin - Letang
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Engelland

'Cause that top-4 strikes me as not being tough enough.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
agreed. If not there, then with Sid. If we aren't bringing anyone else in, give Tangradi a real chance to show what he can do playing with talent as a 3rd wheel. I know his play in WBS lately hasn't really earned it, but TK's play in Pittsburgh over the last few years hasn't either. But we know what we have with TK. If after 10 or 15 games Tangradi isn't working out, TK can step up and be exactly the same player he has always been. Tangradi has never played with real talent around him like that. Especially in that supporting 3rd wheel type role. Its entirely different than the role he's playing in WBS. I say give him the shot. Let the big dog eat dammit

Old
01-06-2013, 08:52 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I'd prefer that to Kennedy with them, but he has blown chunks the last dozen or so games in WBS.

Personally, I'd be happy if Shero found a way to deal for Kulemin and played him with Geno and Neal. Start Sid with Kunitz and Duper and, when the deadline comes, make the big play for a guy like Iginla for Sid and Kunitz, sliding Duper to a third line with Cooke and Sutter.

I know it's a source of disagreement here, but I want Sid and Geno both playing with a pair of good wingers each, maybe if it means an extra question on defense or on the third or fourth lines. Sid and Geno are the Pens advantage. I'd rather exploit it than neutralize it as we have since the cup runs.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
agreed. If not there, then with Sid. If we aren't bringing anyone else in, give Tangradi a real chance to show what he can do playing with talent as a 3rd wheel. I know his play in WBS lately hasn't really earned it, but TK's play in Pittsburgh over the last few years hasn't either. But we know what we have with TK. If after 10 or 15 games Tangradi isn't working out, TK can step up and be exactly the same player he has always been. Tangradi has never played with real talent around him like that. Especially in that supporting 3rd wheel type role. Its entirely different than the role he's playing in WBS. I say give him the shot. Let the big dog eat dammit
A puck hog who drives Sid and Geno nuts any time he plays with one of them?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
So something like...

Martin - Letang
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Engelland

'Cause that top-4 strikes me as not being tough enough.
That top-4 after switching Niskanen with Engelland strikes me as not talented enough. Either way, I think we'll see a lot of juggling on defense for a while.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
A puck hog who drives Sid and Geno nuts any time he plays with one of them?
Exactly. I absolutely do not want him in that spot. But if he's going to end up there, I don't think it matters if its day one or day 25. He doesn't need that time to get comfortable the way Tangradi will. TK will chest snipe like a boss either way.

None of these are great options. But Tangradi has a chance of showing something we haven't seen before imo. TK is what he is. I am still not convinced TK is a better fit in that spot than Cooke. And I'd probably give Jeffrey a shot there as well. Basically, none of the options are great. But I'd give the guys who have even a small chance to surprise the chance to do that before defaulting to TK or Cooke.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Exactly. I absolutely do not want him in that spot. But if he's going to end up there, I don't think it matters if its day one or day 25. He doesn't need that time to get comfortable the way Tangradi will. TK will chest snipe like a boss either way.
I know. I have doubts about Tangradi and fears about TK, who's probably going to end up in the top six when it shakes out. It's why I'm on my 'acquire Kulemin, slot Kunitz and Dupuis with Sid, then get Sid's top winger and a vet defenseman at the deadline' kick.

Actually, I was on the get Sid and Geno both a pair of playoff caliber wingers each kick a year ago, so perhaps I should say 'still on my . . . kick'.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

There is no doubt that our two best players on D, provided the lesbian is back somewhat, is Letang and Martin.

Why a single person here would (still) want them paired up however... that leaves me amazed, confused and dumbfounded all at once.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
There is no doubt that our two best players on D, provided the lesbian is back somewhat, is Letang and Martin.

Why a single person here would (still) want them paired up however... that leaves me amazed, confused and dumbfounded all at once.
I think it could force Martin to play a smarter, safer defensive game. And I also would like to see Orpik get less minutes. He has been injured a ton the last few years and he isn't getting any younger. AND I really really don't want Martin and Niskanen paired together. Dey too soff. So its not so much that I want Martin and Letang together. Its that I don't want other pairs together.
Quote:
I know. I have doubts about Tangradi and fears about TK, who's probably going to end up in the top six when it shakes out. It's why I'm on my 'acquire Kulemin, slot Kunitz and Dupuis with Sid, then get Sid's top winger and a vet defenseman at the deadline' kick.

Actually, I was on the get Sid and Geno both a pair of playoff caliber wingers each kick a year ago, so perhaps I should say 'still on my . . . kick'.
And I've been on board with that plan since pretty much forever ago. But I'm just talking about what we have now. Which is 2 top 6 wings, Dupuis and the group of guys we are discussing. Based on that, I think its stupid not to give Tangradi a shot. We know TK is not the answer. We know Cooke is not the answer. Even if we are pretty sure Tangradi is not the answer, we don't know it with nearly the certainty we know it for the others.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
DreamBeaut

35% variance with no year less than 50% of contract max.

So for Geno, perhaps a 10 year agreement.

1: 10mn
2: 10mn
3: 10mn
4: 10mn
5: 6.5mn
6: 6.5mn
7: 6.5mn
8: 5mn
9: 5mn
10: 5mn

40+19.5+15 = 75.5mn/10 = 7.55 annual cap hit

Not sure if that would work for Geno, certainly would for the team.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
lornloxor
Bylsmaed

Quote:
If Geno takes 8.7 a year over 8 years, there are no professional athletes like him, and he will prove that winning takes more precedent over getting paid what he should.
Earlier in the CBA negotiation process when they were talking about 5 year max contracts I was a bit worried that Geno would want more than the 8.7 that was given to Sid. Now that it's 8 years for signing team's own players I think Geno will take a deal that averages for an 8.7 cap hit.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Isles say goodbye to Yashin and DP?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
wej20

8 year max contract length.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I think it could force Martin to play a smarter, safer defensive game. And I also would like to see Orpik get less minutes. He has been injured a ton the last few years and he isn't getting any younger. AND I really really don't want Martin and Niskanen paired together. Dey too soff. So its not so much that I want Martin and Letang together. Its that I don't want other pairs together.

And I've been on board with that plan since pretty much forever ago. But I'm just talking about what we have now. Which is 2 top 6 wings, Dupuis and the group of guys we are discussing. Based on that, I think its stupid not to give Tangradi a shot. We know TK is not the answer. We know Cooke is not the answer. Even if we are pretty sure Tangradi is not the answer, we don't know it with nearly the certainty we know it for the others.
I concur with your plan for the forwards based on what we have now. I hope Ray Shero pulls something off before the start of the season. I expect Bylsma to put Kennedy in the top six. Concur?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Will Hunting

Just give that TOP 6 chance to the guy who really deserves it. Its Bennett, not Tangradi. Beau is clearly better right now and difference in potential is even bigger there. Im sick of watching Tangradi. If not Bennett, then even Jeffrey would be better option over Big Dog.

Tangradi is just awful this season and seems like perennial AHLer.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
I concur with your plan for the forwards based on what we have now. I hope Ray Shero pulls something off before the start of the season. I expect Bylsma to put Kennedy in the top six. Concur?
I want him to do something. Concur
Expecting Bylsma to play TK in the top 6. I want to not concur so bad. I think I have to concur though

Closed Thread