HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Olympics and the NHL (UPD: NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC meeting this week)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
  #126
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
read a little history and realize things are different than they used to be, and different in every sport and in every country.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/opinio...urs/index.html
That doesn't seem to be what the article is saying (unless you're actually being sarcastic):

Quote:
"The pros are there for a reason," the esteemed sports journalist Ron Rapoport, who has covered six Olympics, told me the other night. "People will tune in to watch athletes they know. The pro athletes are pre-sold to the public, which means increased viewership."

What made it an easy sell was the suspicion that athletes from certain Eastern Bloc nations were de facto professionals anyway: They were supported full-time by their governments to train and compete. So, by the end of the 1980s, the move toward professionalization of the Olympics had gained full steam.

Which seemed to be just fine with the fans. If the best athletes were paid for their skills, or for granting endorsements, why not? The concept of "selling out" -- once such a pejorative -- had become almost meaningless. Making a lot of money for being good at a sport was a badge of honor.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
  #127
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
The Olympics should feature the best hockey players from each country, pro or not. I'm not interested in watching a group of second tier guys play or what would amount to the World Junior's again.

CarlWinslow is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:01 AM
  #128
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
That doesn't seem to be what the article is saying (unless you're actually being sarcastic):
"In the most famous example of the inflexibility of the Olympic organizers, Jim Thorpe, perhaps America's finest athlete of all time, had his gold medals in the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics stripped, and his achievements nullified, because he had once accepted small amounts of money for playing semi-pro baseball during his college summers. It broke his heart. The medals were reinstated in 1983 -- 30 years after his death, 30 years after the moment could have given him any comfort.
Torch starts final leg before London Olympics open
It may be hard for young viewers of this summer's London Olympics to imagine, but all the sponsorships, advertisements and marketing hoopla that are a standard part of big-dollar contemporary Olympic Games were thought to be an insult to the Olympic spirit not so long ago. The Olympics were supposed to be about love of sport, not love of money.
Then came TV."

you got to read the whole article, and look at the history.... I was talking about the historyof the Olympics and how it used to be different..... get it.

predfan98 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 03:04 AM
  #129
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Who is seriously going to watch it? The ratings will be terrible. I am a die hard and didn't stay up for a single junior game. The time difference is too big.

Seedling is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
  #130
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
"In the most famous example of the inflexibility of the Olympic organizers, Jim Thorpe, perhaps America's finest athlete of all time, had his gold medals in the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics stripped, and his achievements nullified, because he had once accepted small amounts of money for playing semi-pro baseball during his college summers. It broke his heart. The medals were reinstated in 1983 -- 30 years after his death, 30 years after the moment could have given him any comfort.
Torch starts final leg before London Olympics open
It may be hard for young viewers of this summer's London Olympics to imagine, but all the sponsorships, advertisements and marketing hoopla that are a standard part of big-dollar contemporary Olympic Games were thought to be an insult to the Olympic spirit not so long ago. The Olympics were supposed to be about love of sport, not love of money.
Then came TV."

you got to read the whole article, and look at the history.... I was talking about the historyof the Olympics and how it used to be different..... get it.
And you're wrong (On both accounts): How many Gold Medals did professional hockey player Tretiak have taken away from him?

You really need to look at history: I'm talking about how the Olympics have always allowed professional athletes.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
  #131
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Who is seriously going to watch it? The ratings will be terrible. I am a die hard and didn't stay up for a single junior game. The time difference is too big.
Then you aren't a "die hard": I watched all of Team Canada's games.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:10 AM
  #132
premadonna
Registered User
 
premadonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 520
Quote:
6 a.m. update: NHL Players WILL play in the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, as part of the deal.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-is-over.html

premadonna is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
  #133
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
What about the Olympics in South Korea?

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
  #134
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,188
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413081
IIHF willing to work to ensure NHLers participate

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:33 AM
  #135
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,188
vCash: 500
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ns-on-olympics
LeBrun on NHL/NHLPA & Olympics.

Sounds like sides will begin "negotiations" within a month or so on 2014 participation, etc.

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:43 PM
  #136
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
What about the Olympics in South Korea?
That won't be negotiated for awhile but I would be really surprised if the NHL participates in the 2018 Olympics.

Rob is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 PM
  #137
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
I hope the Kovalchuk mess isn't used by the NHL to threaten to withhold NHL participation in Sochi.

Rob is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 PM
  #138
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
That won't be negotiated for awhile but I would be really surprised if the NHL participates in the 2018 Olympics.
Just out of curiosity, why did they participate in Japan (1998) and Italy (2006)?

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM
  #139
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did they participate in Japan (1998) and Italy (2006)?
1998 was a test run for the Salt Lake City games in 2002. The NHL wanted to use the 2002 games as a showcase to gain new fans. Whether it worked or not is debatable.

The reason they participated in 2006 is because they knew they were going to play in Vancouver in 2010.

There is a lot of pressure by the players (especially the Russian stars) to play in Sochi because Russia is a solid hockey nation.

Rob is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:59 PM
  #140
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
1998 was a test run for the Salt Lake City in 2002. The NHL wanted to use the 2002 games as a showcase to gain new fans. Whether it worked or not is debatable.

The reason they participated in 2006 is because they knew they were going to play in Vancouver in 2010.
I see, I think it would be ridiculous for the NHL stop competing in the Olympics, we have finally established a legitimate best on best tournament on a every four year basis.

Will probably see pressure from the Euro players for the Olympics too.

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
  #141
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
I see, I think it would be ridiculous for the NHL stop competing in the Olympics, we have finally established a legitimate best on best tournament on a every four year basis.

Will probably see pressure from the Euro players for the Olympics too.
Agreed. The Olympics > Any other hockey, imo.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
  #142
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
I see, I think it would be ridiculous for the NHL stop competing in the Olympics, we have finally established a legitimate best on best tournament on a every four year basis.

Will probably see pressure from the Euro players for the Olympics too.
I agree. However, a lot of US owners are not happy with participation in the Olympics as they do not see the benefit.

I think what may happen is that the NHL will pariticipate in Sochi but not South Korea. Instead they will bring back the World Cup of Hockey which has already been talked about.

Rob is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 12:17 AM
  #143
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I agree. However, a lot of US owners are not happy with participation in the Olympics as they do not see the benefit.

I think what may happen is that the NHL will pariticipate in Sochi but not South Korea. Instead they will bring back the World Cup of Hockey which has already been talked about.
Yeah I guess this will happen sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
World Cup of Hockey

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 07:46 AM
  #144
Theokritos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
1998 was a test run for the Salt Lake City games in 2002. The NHL wanted to use the 2002 games as a showcase to gain new fans. Whether it worked or not is debatable.

The reason they participated in 2006 is because they knew they were going to play in Vancouver in 2010.

There is a lot of pressure by the players (especially the Russian stars) to play in Sochi because Russia is a solid hockey nation.
In other words: We need Olympic Winter Games in North America in 2022 to see NHL action in Pyeongchang. Any options?

Theokritos is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
  #145
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
In other words: We need Olympic Winter Games in North America in 2022 to see NHL action in Pyeongchang. Any options?
An argument in favor of going to Sochi would be that you're going into the market of your biggest competitor (KHL) and showcasing your product (NHL players).

Crease is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
  #146
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,145
vCash: 500
The NHL gets nothing but problems from the Olympics; from the schedule issues, through potential injuries, to people ignoring 75% of the games while extolling the magnificence of Olympic hockey. That said, NHL players should be at the Olympics.

Section337 is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
  #147
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,895
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
And you're wrong (On both accounts): How many Gold Medals did professional hockey player Tretiak have taken away from him?

You really need to look at history: I'm talking about how the Olympics have always allowed professional athletes.
They haven't ALWAYS allowed it. Jim Thorpe was stripped of his olympic medals after it was discovered he had played professional baseball prior to his track and field wins. Reinstated 70 years later.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
  #148
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,188
vCash: 500
Olympic pros include:
  • Best players on the ice
  • NBC able to promote NHL games (it covers)
  • Entice new fans to NHL hockey

Olympic cons include:
  • Disruption of NHL season
  • Compressed NHL season
  • NHL/teams not allowed to use any highlights on their websites (possibly can be negotiated)
  • NHL teams/league/sponsors have no regular access to players (e.g., "daily" 5 minute interviews for team/league fans, "parties" with fans/sponsors; possibly can be negotiated)
  • Little say in length/format of hockey schedule
  • Potential for injuries/insurance
  • No benefit to league/teams for releasing players ($$/reciprocation)

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 10:35 AM
  #149
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
NHL/teams not allowed to use any highlights on their websites (possibly can be negotiated)
I agree with the NHL on this one. They should be allowed to use highlightes from the tournament.

Rob is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:30 PM
  #150
garbageteam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I agree with the NHL on this one. They should be allowed to use highlightes from the tournament.
Absolutely, unreasonable to not allow them to do so

garbageteam is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.