HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Olympics and the NHL (UPD: NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC meeting this week)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
read a little history and realize things are different than they used to be, and different in every sport and in every country.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/opinio...urs/index.html
That doesn't seem to be what the article is saying (unless you're actually being sarcastic):

Quote:
"The pros are there for a reason," the esteemed sports journalist Ron Rapoport, who has covered six Olympics, told me the other night. "People will tune in to watch athletes they know. The pro athletes are pre-sold to the public, which means increased viewership."

What made it an easy sell was the suspicion that athletes from certain Eastern Bloc nations were de facto professionals anyway: They were supported full-time by their governments to train and compete. So, by the end of the 1980s, the move toward professionalization of the Olympics had gained full steam.

Which seemed to be just fine with the fans. If the best athletes were paid for their skills, or for granting endorsements, why not? The concept of "selling out" -- once such a pejorative -- had become almost meaningless. Making a lot of money for being good at a sport was a badge of honor.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

The Olympics should feature the best hockey players from each country, pro or not. I'm not interested in watching a group of second tier guys play or what would amount to the World Junior's again.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:01 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
That doesn't seem to be what the article is saying (unless you're actually being sarcastic):
"In the most famous example of the inflexibility of the Olympic organizers, Jim Thorpe, perhaps America's finest athlete of all time, had his gold medals in the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics stripped, and his achievements nullified, because he had once accepted small amounts of money for playing semi-pro baseball during his college summers. It broke his heart. The medals were reinstated in 1983 -- 30 years after his death, 30 years after the moment could have given him any comfort.
Torch starts final leg before London Olympics open
It may be hard for young viewers of this summer's London Olympics to imagine, but all the sponsorships, advertisements and marketing hoopla that are a standard part of big-dollar contemporary Olympic Games were thought to be an insult to the Olympic spirit not so long ago. The Olympics were supposed to be about love of sport, not love of money.
Then came TV."

you got to read the whole article, and look at the history.... I was talking about the historyof the Olympics and how it used to be different..... get it.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Who is seriously going to watch it? The ratings will be terrible. I am a die hard and didn't stay up for a single junior game. The time difference is too big.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
"In the most famous example of the inflexibility of the Olympic organizers, Jim Thorpe, perhaps America's finest athlete of all time, had his gold medals in the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics stripped, and his achievements nullified, because he had once accepted small amounts of money for playing semi-pro baseball during his college summers. It broke his heart. The medals were reinstated in 1983 -- 30 years after his death, 30 years after the moment could have given him any comfort.
Torch starts final leg before London Olympics open
It may be hard for young viewers of this summer's London Olympics to imagine, but all the sponsorships, advertisements and marketing hoopla that are a standard part of big-dollar contemporary Olympic Games were thought to be an insult to the Olympic spirit not so long ago. The Olympics were supposed to be about love of sport, not love of money.
Then came TV."

you got to read the whole article, and look at the history.... I was talking about the historyof the Olympics and how it used to be different..... get it.
And you're wrong (On both accounts): How many Gold Medals did professional hockey player Tretiak have taken away from him?

You really need to look at history: I'm talking about how the Olympics have always allowed professional athletes.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Who is seriously going to watch it? The ratings will be terrible. I am a die hard and didn't stay up for a single junior game. The time difference is too big.
Then you aren't a "die hard": I watched all of Team Canada's games.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:10 AM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Quote:
6 a.m. update: NHL Players WILL play in the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, as part of the deal.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-is-over.html

Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
What about the Olympics in South Korea?

Old
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413081
IIHF willing to work to ensure NHLers participate

Old
01-09-2013, 12:33 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ns-on-olympics
LeBrun on NHL/NHLPA & Olympics.

Sounds like sides will begin "negotiations" within a month or so on 2014 participation, etc.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
What about the Olympics in South Korea?
That won't be negotiated for awhile but I would be really surprised if the NHL participates in the 2018 Olympics.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Rob

I hope the Kovalchuk mess isn't used by the NHL to threaten to withhold NHL participation in Sochi.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
That won't be negotiated for awhile but I would be really surprised if the NHL participates in the 2018 Olympics.
Just out of curiosity, why did they participate in Japan (1998) and Italy (2006)?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did they participate in Japan (1998) and Italy (2006)?
1998 was a test run for the Salt Lake City games in 2002. The NHL wanted to use the 2002 games as a showcase to gain new fans. Whether it worked or not is debatable.

The reason they participated in 2006 is because they knew they were going to play in Vancouver in 2010.

There is a lot of pressure by the players (especially the Russian stars) to play in Sochi because Russia is a solid hockey nation.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
1998 was a test run for the Salt Lake City in 2002. The NHL wanted to use the 2002 games as a showcase to gain new fans. Whether it worked or not is debatable.

The reason they participated in 2006 is because they knew they were going to play in Vancouver in 2010.
I see, I think it would be ridiculous for the NHL stop competing in the Olympics, we have finally established a legitimate best on best tournament on a every four year basis.

Will probably see pressure from the Euro players for the Olympics too.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
I see, I think it would be ridiculous for the NHL stop competing in the Olympics, we have finally established a legitimate best on best tournament on a every four year basis.

Agreed. The Olympics > Any other hockey, imo.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Rob

Quote:

I agree. However, a lot of US owners are not happy with participation in the Olympics as they do not see the benefit.

I think what may happen is that the NHL will pariticipate in Sochi but not South Korea. Instead they will bring back the World Cup of Hockey which has already been talked about.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
I agree. However, a lot of US owners are not happy with participation in the Olympics as they do not see the benefit.

I think what may happen is that the NHL will pariticipate in Sochi but not South Korea. Instead they will bring back the World Cup of Hockey which has already been talked about.
Yeah I guess this will happen sadly.

Quote:
World Cup of Hockey

Old
01-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
1998 was a test run for the Salt Lake City games in 2002. The NHL wanted to use the 2002 games as a showcase to gain new fans. Whether it worked or not is debatable.

There is a lot of pressure by the players (especially the Russian stars) to play in Sochi because Russia is a solid hockey nation.
In other words: We need Olympic Winter Games in North America in 2022 to see NHL action in Pyeongchang. Any options?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
In other words: We need Olympic Winter Games in North America in 2022 to see NHL action in Pyeongchang. Any options?
An argument in favor of going to Sochi would be that you're going into the market of your biggest competitor (KHL) and showcasing your product (NHL players).

Old
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

The NHL gets nothing but problems from the Olympics; from the schedule issues, through potential injuries, to people ignoring 75% of the games while extolling the magnificence of Olympic hockey. That said, NHL players should be at the Olympics.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
And you're wrong (On both accounts): How many Gold Medals did professional hockey player Tretiak have taken away from him?

You really need to look at history: I'm talking about how the Olympics have always allowed professional athletes.
They haven't ALWAYS allowed it. Jim Thorpe was stripped of his olympic medals after it was discovered he had played professional baseball prior to his track and field wins. Reinstated 70 years later.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Olympic pros include:
  • Best players on the ice
  • NBC able to promote NHL games (it covers)
  • Entice new fans to NHL hockey

Olympic cons include:
  • Disruption of NHL season
  • Compressed NHL season
  • NHL/teams not allowed to use any highlights on their websites (possibly can be negotiated)
  • NHL teams/league/sponsors have no regular access to players (e.g., "daily" 5 minute interviews for team/league fans, "parties" with fans/sponsors; possibly can be negotiated)
  • Little say in length/format of hockey schedule
  • Potential for injuries/insurance
  • No benefit to league/teams for releasing players ($$/reciprocation)

Old
01-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Rob

Quote:
NHL/teams not allowed to use any highlights on their websites (possibly can be negotiated)
I agree with the NHL on this one. They should be allowed to use highlightes from the tournament.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:30 PM
garbageteam

Quote:
I agree with the NHL on this one. They should be allowed to use highlightes from the tournament.
Absolutely, unreasonable to not allow them to do so

Closed Thread