HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

Old
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

In this thread, discuss any observations, line combos, or anything related to preparations for the 2013 CBJ season.

Puck-rakers says it could start as soon as Wednesday.

01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
punk_o_holic

Do we have any injuries that happened to players playing in another league during the lockout? Obviously Murray and is Dubinsky recovered from his broken hand? Anyone in the AHL that is hurt that could potentially make the Blue Jackets?

I wonder if anyone comes into camp out of shape. I haven't seen Mason and have no idea what he was up to but I can see him coming into camp out of shape. Not that it matters as I'm sure all would prefer Bobrovsky as the starter.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
CBJ Tiffin

Portzline's guesses, via Twitter:

Forward lines https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...04065915084800

D-men & Goalies https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...04258173579264

Extras https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...04392240316416

No Winnipeg / CBJ switch https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...14104562253824

Last edited by CBJ Tiffin: 01-06-2013 at 08:35 AM.
CBJ Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Do we have any injuries that happened to players playing in another league during the lockout? Obviously Murray and is Dubinsky recovered from his broken hand? Anyone in the AHL that is hurt that could potentially make the Blue Jackets?

I wonder if anyone comes into camp out of shape. I haven't seen Mason and have no idea what he was up to but I can see him coming into camp out of shape. Not that it matters as I'm sure all would prefer Bobrovsky as the starter.
Portzline tweeted about 20 minutes ago that J. Moore has been out 3 weeks. probably concussed.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
punk_o_holic

Another thing, with potential buys outs hitting the market and with UFA players remaining on the market, any chance we sign players? I say this because would it be better to have the younger guys staying in the AHL and let them develop, rather then them being in the NHL with a limited role? Example, rather then having Johansen on the 4th line/press box, let him stay in the AHL and sign a cheap veteran to play on the 4th line instead.

Do we still offer Kovalev a tryout offer?( I say with JD running the show, I say not a chance. Just added to add conversation to the thread).

Does Jenner make the team if he has a decent showing in camp? I'm guessing he would be a 4th liner, healthy scratch so like Johansen, let him stay in the CHL and sign a UFA instead. Although I am interested to see him in the NHL.

What about Calvert? In the part 2 video with Davidson, Howson said he see's potential in him but last season, decided to send him back to the AHL and never recall him back to give him his ice time. Does he stay in the AHL? I guess it all depends on camp and how they play.

Who gets the C and the A's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Portzline tweeted about 20 minutes ago that J. Moore has been out 3 weeks. probably concussed.
Lame

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 01-06-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
So, does Jenner stick with the team?

I'm not as opposed to taking Jenner and keeping him on in a 4th line role as I was with Johansen, but is it wise to keep him on the roster with all the centers this team has?

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So, does Jenner stick with the team?

I'm not as opposed to taking Jenner and keeping him on in a 4th line role as I was with Johansen, but is it wise to keep him on the roster with all the centers this team has?
What does everyone project Jenner's role would be with the team in the future? 1st/2nd line scorer(like he is in the CHL) or 3rd line banger with some offensive touch(like his role for Team Canada)? In my last post I said no point of having him on the 4th line but if he's projected to be a good 3rd liner, I wouldn't mind him playing on the 4th line to get some limited experience. If we want him to be a scorer, then I stand by what I said earlier and keep him in the CHL. As for the center question, well if they made Johansen play on the wing last year then why wouldn't they move Jenner to the wing?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:25 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
I would keep Jenner in juniors for this year. They have good team there, go for the Memorial Cup run, work on offensive skills and fight for the spot next year.

No need to rush him.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
What does everyone project Jenner's role would be with the team in the future? 1st/2nd line scorer(like he is in the CHL) or 3rd line banger with some offensive touch(like his role for Team Canada)? In my last post I said no point of having him on the 4th line but if he's projected to be a good 3rd liner, I wouldn't mind him playing on the 4th line to get some limited experience. If we want him to be a scorer, then I stand by what I said earlier and keep him in the CHL. As for the center question, well if they made Johansen play on the wing last year then why wouldn't they move Jenner to the wing?
Not directed at you in particular, but the current dogma about top 6 and bottom 6 has always bugged me. The third line has traditionally been the line that gets matched up against the other teams first line (unless the coaches try to match first with first). To me, a good third line center that you can match up with the other team's best and still chip in some goals is more important than a 2nd line center, unless you're lucky enough to have a couple centers like Crosby and Malkin that gives you virtually two #1 lines.

I think Jenner has the potential to be a very good #3 center, and I am very interested in watching his development. I foresee him being my favorite Blue Jacket very shortly.

As a comparison, I think Brassard makes for a good #2 center - someone who can create some offense, particularly when you can get that 2nd line out there against the other team's 4th. But, he's not a player you want out there matched up against the top centers in the league when the game is on the line.

Both have roles to fill, but I think good #3 centers are often undervalued due to the fact that 3 is further from "1" than 2 is.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
BluejacketNut

Vinny was doing some quick sprints between the blue lines before one of my games downtown a couple weeks ago....just those basic sprints had him winded big time. Going to be interesting to see what kind of condition a lot of these guys are in, or arent in

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Anyone else think Porty's forward lines aren't very good? Let's get this going!

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
v3rs3

Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
X-Jenner-Dorsett line or bust.

v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
EspenK

Leave Jenner in juniors.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Vinny was doing some quick sprints between the blue lines before one of my games downtown a couple weeks ago....just those basic sprints had him winded big time. Going to be interesting to see what kind of condition a lot of these guys are in, or arent in
Obviously (?) guys who have been playing will be in game shape. Others not so sure.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Matt

Jenner in Juniors and Johansen in Springfield. Only callup is Atkinson. Moore when he passes concussion test.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
JacketsFanWest

Are there going to be pre-season games? Or is the season just going to start?

If players are out of shape, there's the potential for injuries especially groin pulls.

The AHLers and juniors like Jenner are in game-shape and relying on them in the beginning might be a good approach. Perhaps Jenner can get a couple of games in to get his feet wet then get sent back to juniors.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Arch City Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Jenner in Juniors and Johansen in Springfield. Only callup is Atkinson. Moore when he passes concussion test.
Couldn't agree more. No point in Johansen being up here if he's not getting top line minutes. Let him dominate for the rest of the year in Springfield then he can fight for a top spot in camp in September. I'd bring Savard up and let Erixson stay down.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yep

Plenty of centers on the team. Coach reports from SPR indicates Johan making good progress, keep it going.

Atkinson is a no brainer.

Moore when he's ready. Erixon/Savard as needed. Holden has played Well, but might be inclined to leave him for his leadership qualities however may need him as injuries go. Time for the system depth to prove itself.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:28 AM
EspenK

With Moore out with concussion, will have to bring 2 D-men up.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Byrral

Please take the CBJ in a new direction Mr. Davidson. Leave guys that are tweeners in the AHL where they belong so they can develop the right way. I'm talking Johansen, Calvert and even Atkinson if it makes sense. And by no means is guys like Jenner ready for the NHL. Let him finish in Ottawa this year and come to camp next year trying to make this roster. He could use a year in Springfield as well. I know I will get flamed as always but our organization from Springfield on down is in good shape right now. Leave it where it is and start building it up to the top when players are ready, not because you are forcing them to be ready. I am tired of lather, rinse, repeat.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
With Moore out with concussion, will have to bring 2 D-men up.
I'm personally hoping for either Erixon or Savard as the #6 and Nick Holden as the #7.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:19 PM
EspenK

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

"GMs wait to see rules on call ups on juniors but Boone Jenner likely to be at CBJ camp. Matt Dumba may be only u/a in MIN camp. Not set tho"

Hopefully just to get a look-I would prefer him in juniors for rest of the season.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I thought Vinny went back home to play a couple of months ago.

http://www.hokejcb.cz/hrac.asp?id=Va...&kategorie=MUZ

Last edited by Iron Balls McGinty: 01-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@Aportzline: As if anybody wondered ... Asked about AHL/CHL call-ups, Davidson said: "Well, Boone for sure." That would be Oshawa C Boone Jenner.”

01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 875
I really hope they leave Jenner at Oshawa and let him develop. His day will come soon enough.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote