HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Six players who will be ready for season

Old
01-06-2013, 09:48 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Six players who will be ready for season

Pick 3 forward, 2 d-men and a goalie who will be making a stance from the first puck drop.

Eberle - Malkin - Seguin

Schultz - Karlsson

Rask

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:54 AM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
I hate to make this very generalized statement but I think Crosby is about to make a ********** statement. He's well rested and he's been working out like crazy.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Czech Your Math

Ovechkin-Malkin-Jagr
Karlsson-Chara
Rask

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:41 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I hate to make this very generalized statement but I think Crosby is about to make a ********** statement. He's well rested and he's been working out like crazy.
I can see that ,the concussions are further behind him now.He seemed still a little tentative after his last return to me.

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Pick 3 forward, 2 d-men and a goalie who will be making a stance from the first puck drop.

Eberle - Malkin - Seguin

Schultz - Karlsson

Rask
I'd put Jagr in there and Plekanec (although Plekanec has sore ribs).

I Rask fully recovered from the groin injury?

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, all indications are that Crosby is going to bring his A+ game this season.

It should be interesting to see how Jeff Skinner does. Instead of playing, he stayed home in Ontario and worked out. Ideally he will be completely fresh and a lot more muscular.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
The Edmonton Oilers sadly, they are all playing, maturing etc.

In general:

Ovechkin-Eller-Eberle

Subban-Bogosian

Rask

All of them I can see making large strides this year.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

This is the year Tyler Seguin finishes top 10 in scoring.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

If operation hat trick was any indication, Lundqvist is going to defend his Vezina quite well.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Yeah, all indications are that Crosby is going to bring his A+ game this season.

It should be interesting to see how Jeff Skinner does. Instead of playing, he stayed home in Ontario and worked out. Ideally he will be completely fresh and a lot more muscular.
I just have a question for those who think Crosby is going to be ready to make a statement, sure he's been resting and getting healthy again, but what about the fact that he hasn't played a significant hockey game in a while? As opposed to Malkin and Jagr let's say who have played about 30 games of meaningful hockey and have been dominating their respective leagues?

I think it takes Crosby about 5-10 games to shake off the rust, while Jagr and Malkin will be flying right of the gate. That alone means Crosby probably doesn't sniff at the Art Ross this season.

I personally think that those players who have been inactive will not be as effective as those who have played in Europe or in the AHL and other leagues in North America.

This is a different circumstance than back in 2005-06. Back then, a whole year was missed so everyone started the season at the same time. This time it is different, we are starting the season in January when usually players are in full swing. Those who have been playing will have an upper hand on those that haven't been playing.

Players like Selanne and Alfredsson who are older, might find it harder to shake off the rust.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
I think Crosby hits 80 points in 48 games. In 50 games he might touch 90.

jigglysquishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I just have a question for those who think Crosby is going to be ready to make a statement, sure he's been resting and getting healthy again, but what about the fact that he hasn't played a significant hockey game in a while? As opposed to Malkin and Jagr let's say who have played about 30 games of meaningful hockey and have been dominating their respective leagues?

I think it takes Crosby about 5-10 games to shake off the rust, while Jagr and Malkin will be flying right of the gate. That alone means Crosby probably doesn't sniff at the Art Ross this season.
On the other hand, the inactive players will be totally fresh without the nagging injuries that accumulate over the course of a season. The situations are so player-specific that I don't think we can make a generalized statement about all players from a category.

BTW, you don't seriously think Jagr is going to be an Art Ross contender do you?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Darche - Parros - Westgarth
Campoli - Hainsey
DiPietro

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:17 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Not Kopitar that's for sure

son of earl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I really feel like Tavares takes a ton of the top awards this year. You all will see. He went to Switzerland and made everyone his *****.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
oilersfan87

Hall- RNH- Eberle
Schultz- Smid
Dubnyk

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
On the other hand, the inactive players will be totally fresh without the nagging injuries that accumulate over the course of a season. The situations are so player-specific that I don't think we can make a generalized statement about all players from a category.

BTW, you don't seriously think Jagr is going to be an Art Ross contender do you?
I know I will most likely look foolish if he fails but yes I do think he will be an Art Ross contender.

This season barring any injuries will be the ideal situation for Jagr to challenge for the Art Ross even at his age.

Sure he is 40 years old but he's also 20 lbs lighter (there is a Facebook training video shot on his iPad in which he states he's 100 kg this year which means he's 220 lbs now as opposed to the 240 he was last season. This means he will be lighter and have less weight to push around on the ice meaning he has less chances of aggravating his groin. He's also looking impressively fast on his skates, something that hasn't happened really since he left Pittsburgh.

He looks really confident and his shot seems to be back to the level it was at in 2005-06 when he scored 54 goals. With just 48-52 games to play in the regular season, he doesn't have to pace himself and he can play all out every night. He won't have to worry about tiring himself out. Sure he's been playing a lot of minutes in the Czech league (22-26 minutes a game) but they only play about 2 games a week. His legs are fresh and he's pumped. He leaves the Czech League with 55 Pts in just 33 games to lead that league in PPG. Plus he completed outplayed Plekanec, Krejci and Hemsky in that league. Don't forget that before his injury last season in Philadelphia that he had 41 Pts in his first 40 games. This was despite taking a good 10 games to re-accustom himself to the NHL game after being away from it for 3 seasons and this after not playing the 20-23 minutes a game he usually saw in the past. He also wasn't given the chance to run a powerplay and play at his usual position on the right half boards during the man advantage. Nieuwendyk is the GM of the Stars and he got to see him score a hattrick earlier this year in the Czech Extraliga and believe me this, the Stars have already promised Jagr more icetime and a spot on the top line with the keys to the Stars' powerplay. He will have more chances to succeed than he did in Philly.

Just check out some of these goals he scored over there. He didn't exactly give it 100% in that league anyways in efforts to not injure himself. This is the healthiest and the best he's been since 2005-06, no joke.

Last edited by livewell68: 01-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Kovalchuk - Stamkos - Perry

Suter - Weber

Quick

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
every one said crosby would be rusty after coming back the 1st time last season.

yet he still put up 37 points in 22 games. if that is crosby coming back rusty and tenative. then i would be scared for the rest of the league for a healthy, unrusty crosby.

crosby rusty. 1.68 points per game lol.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
Not Kopitar that's for sure
Pfft. He only took himself out as a precaution. He will likely be ready by the time the season starts. If not, he will miss 2-3 games at most.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM
InjuredChoker

Ovy-Crosby-Seguin
Keith-Karlsson
Schneider

Kane-Tavares-Boedker
Johnson-Pietrangelo
Varlamov

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
every one said crosby would be rusty after coming back the 1st time last season.

yet he still put up 37 points in 22 games. if that is crosby coming back rusty and tenative. then i would be scared for the rest of the league for a healthy, unrusty crosby.

I still stand by the notion that Crosby in a full 82 games can touch 140 points.

jigglysquishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

He was playing on the second line and came in time when the Penguins were on fire. Malkin and Neal will going crazy every game. Malkin's line was getting all the coverage. Crosby only had 8 goals btw in those 22 games. Not the Rocket Richard winner type was he?

How many of those 37 Pts were dominant points? The league will know what to expect from Crosby this time around and they won't be as easy on him. The Flyers-Penguins series really exposed the Penguins' and Crosby's weaknesses. Now they also don't have Staal as the 3rd option at center. Malkin and Crosby will have to carry more of the load than they ever have.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:33 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I still stand by the notion that Crosby in a full 82 games can touch 140 points.
Too bad since 2006-07, he has yet to surpass 109 Pts in a full season. Crosby is the new Forsberg. His PPG gets inflated because he plays less games and puts up a lot of meaningless points in those games. He topped off at 1.50 PPG and 120 Pts in a full season and outside of a few small stretches in his career (a notion that was completely overhyped since CzechYourMath already showed (in the By the Numbers section) that Crosby's half season in 2010-11 isn't even among the top 5 half seasons among non Gretzky players. Both Lemieux and Jagr have enjoyed much better half seasons than Crosby ever did.

If he scores more than 110 Pts in a full season, I would gladly eat my words. The jury is still out.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
source

Darche-Barch-Cole

source is offline   Reply With Quote