HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
One of the biggest things I didn't like about Django was actually that it didn't have more reserved moments, personally. Seemed annoyingly trigger happy in this one to me.
I didn't like that Inglorious Basterds has the flashback, but then goes straight into the discussions of Scalping Nazis. Sure there is violence early in Django, but it builds up as the characters develop. I don't know, your reasons have merit, but I felt more satisfied with Django's storytelling.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:24 AM
kihei

vCash: 0

Aurora (2011), directed by Cristi Puiu: For the first half of this three-hour movie, the audience just watches Viorel (played by the director) wander around Bucharest. Some of his actions seem aimless, some purposeful. He is almost invisible, a blank really, and the narrative provides no back story. The audience just has to piece together who Viorel is and what he is up to. He seems to have a cranky personality, but he is very difficult to get a bead on. When he picks up some bullets and later a gun, it at first seems he may be contemplating suicide. But he is also renovating his apartment. What kind of potential suicide renovates his apartment? Perhaps, he has other plans. This is a dandy piece of “slow” cinema where the audience is constantly trying to figure out what makes this guy tick and, especially, what are his motives. Puiu, both as director and actor, frustrates the audience’s curiosity, but deliciously. The final scenes are models of postponement of gratification, almost but never quite a tease. I can’t say the three-hours exactly whizzes by, but the movie definitely held my attention from beginning to end. Like many Romanian films, it has filaments of dark humour that, in this case, appear more frequently as the movie approaches its conclusion. Beautifully directed and acted, Aurora is a brilliantly controlled character study; given its serious, deadpan delivery, the last word I should use to describe it is playful, but somehow I can’t resist the temptation. This movie would have easily made my best of year list in 2011, probably top five.

subtitles

Edit: make that top seven.

Best Movies 2011

1. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Ceylan, Turkey
2. The Turin Horse, Tarr, Hungary
3. Café de Flore, Vallee, Canada
4. Drive, Refn, Denmark/US
5. A Separation, Farhadi, Iran
6. Take Shelter, Nichols, US
7. Aurora, Puiu, Romania
8. The Skin I Live In, Almodovar, Spain
9. Le Havre, Kaurismaki, Finland
10. Tomboy, Sciamma, France
10a. Mysteries of Lisbon, Ruiz, Chile/Portugal

Last edited by kihei: 01-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

vCash: 50
Requiem for a Dream

This has to be one of the most powerful, depressing, and tragic movies I have ever seen. The movie shows the absolute brutal side of addiction to various drugs leading to the addicts' downfall. The acting, especially from Ellen Burstyn, was flawless. The style of director Darren Aronofsky was different and unique which made it even more interesting to watch. It's hard to describe the feeling I was left with when the credits rolled; I was speechless. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I highly suggest it. You'll learn a lot.

9.8/10

Last edited by Cudi: 01-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Zero Dark Thirty

Zero Dark Thirty is almost defiantly uncinematic, but that works to remarkable effect, because we are seeing the work of a skilled filmmaker capable of bringing her vision to the screen without any unnecessary flair. It is a magnificent film, well acted and written, an excellent technical achievement, but above all else, it is a powerful story told with the appropriate maturity. One of the very, very best of the year.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
Hunger Games was awful compared to the book.
Completely disagree.

Probably rehashing an old debate, sure Peeta could have been cast better, but other than that it couldn't have been done much better IMO.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
eldiablo17

Lincoln (2012)

For me, the draw of this movie was in Daniel Day-Lewis. Yet when I sat down I was happy to see the approach Spielberg took was far from the overly-sentimental style he can occasionally fall into. This is a very talky film, although never really boring and it is easy to see how twisted politics worked even then. I also appreciated that Lincoln was shown to be imperfect, that may have been essential to the film, but Spielberg doesn't revel in his mythological "honest Abe". Still the highlight was Day-Lewis in an absolutely stunning performance. So much so that other very capable actors seemed to just be acting when confronted with him. I was big on the Phoenix bandwagon for a Best Actor win, but I wouldn't have any qualms with DDL taking it. A surprisingly good film.

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

I'm glad I watched Lincoln before this, although nothing really connects the two they are both quite political nonetheless. Where I mentioned DDL makes others around him look worse, here Zero Dark Thirty makes Lincoln (a film I quite liked) look like amateur hour. It is an excellent thriller and at the end I did feel somewhat conflicted. Although Chastain in excellent I don't see it as having the emotional umph to make it a masterpiece but if not that then a small tier below because the rest of the film is fantastic. I think Bigelow here has established herself as one of the best directors working today and I wouldn't be surprised if she took home another, deserved, best director award.

Best of 2012
1. The Master
2. Zero Dark Thirty
3. Life of Pi
4. Amour
5. Looper
6. Django Unchained
7. Moonrise Kingdom
8. A Royal Affair
9. Rust and Bone
10. Holy Motors

Old
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Aurora (2011), directed by Cristi Puiu:
Glad you liked it. I was surprised by how much I was sucked in to it, even though so little happens. A really underrated movie and another feather in the cap of the current crop of Romanian films.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Completely disagree.

Probably rehashing an old debate, sure Peeta could have been cast better, but other than that it couldn't have been done much better IMO.
What really annoyed me is that Cinna played a huge role in the book but he was nearly invisible in the movie.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Django Unchained (2012) - 9/10

There were only a few moments of the film I thought could have been left on the cutting room floor, but not a big enough of a distraction to ding the film too badly. I may even raise my rating to a 10 if those don't play out as I remember them now upon a re-watch.

I felt for a moment that the movie was going on too long when they got to the Australians, but I got over that by the end of the film.

I don't feel the need to go over the performances. I think the vast majority of posters have this right. Waltz was the best, DiCaprio was a close second and Foxx was adequate. OK, I'll add a another tidbit. I'm a bit of a Johnson fan and I loved his bit.

Definitely QT's best since Pulp Fiction. Time will tell how this plays out over time, but I'm ready for another viewing already.

There’s a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. It’s a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, I’d take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Led Zappa: 01-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Tree of Life. Well this is probably the last Malick I'm ever going to watch. What a bore.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
So Oscar buzz for Chastain. Is there an actress with a better resume than her in the last two years? The Tree of Life, The Help and Take Shelter last year, and Zero Dark Thirty this year, among others. And she just came totally out of nowhere last year as well. Where was she hiding the first 7 years of her screen acting career?
I think she's the best actress in the business right now for my money. She was very good in 'The Debt', (2011) which I thought was a pretty challenging role.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Field Of Dreams - 8.5/10. Such a cheesy movie, but just so moving. I cried at the end.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
kihei

The Impossible (2012), directed by Juan Antonio Bayona: Vacationing in Thailand, a mother and father and their three young sons battle to survive the the tsunami of 2004. The first 20 minutes, which contain miniscule character development followed by the arrival of the tsunami, are fairly gripping. Unfortunately, that leaves approximately another 80 minutes to kill, and that's where the problems pile up. Most of the time is filled up with either big league suffering (Naomi Watts) or desperate searching (Ewen McGregor, with zip all to do). After watching such delights as badly injured people trying to climb up trees, we get an endlessly long series of big heart-tugging moments which always arrive awash with tinkly piano and swooning strings in the background. Yet, despite all this effort to move us, the movie has the emotional resonance of a Grey's Anatomy episode gone berserk. If this movie is not as egregiously manipulative as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, it is definitely in the same ballpark. Watts is getting buzz for her portrayal, but hers is the worst kind of Oscar-bait performance. Besides, whoever does her make-up deserves the kudos anyway. Outside of a very brief note at the beginning of the movie, no further context is provided about the scope of the tragedy or the fact that approximately 200,000 people died as a result of this natural catastrophe. If the movie had a brain, that would be an oversight.

Last edited by kihei: 01-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

The Impossible (2012), directed by Juan Antonio Bayona: Vacationing in Thailand, a mother and father and their three young sons battle to survive the the tsunami of 2004. The first 20 minutes, which contain miniscule character development followed by the arrival of the tsunami, are fairly gripping. Unfortunately, that leaves approximately another 80 minutes to kill, and that's where the problems pile up. Most of the time is filled up with either big league suffering (Naomi Watts) or desperate searching (Ewen McGregor, with zip all to do). After watching such delights as badly injured people trying to climb up trees, we get an endlessly long series of big heart-tugging moments which always arrive awash with tinkly piano and swooning strings in the background. Yet, despite all this effort to move us, the movie has the emotional resonance of a Grey's Anatomy episode gone berserk. If this movie is not as egregiously manipulative as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, it is definitely in the same ballpark. Watts is getting buzz for her portrayal, but hers is the worst kind of Oscar-bait performance. Besides, whoever does her make-up deserves the kudos anyway. Outside of a very brief note at the beginning of the movie, no further context is provided about the scope of the tragedy or the fact that approximately 200,000 people died as a result of this natural catastrophe. If the movie had a brain, that would be an oversight.
Just checking, you do know that the events in the movie actually happened? They just changed the names of the actual Spanish family and the language to English.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:47 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Just checking, you do know that the events in the movie actually happened? They just changed the names of the actual Spanish family and the language to English.
Actually if the movie had played it straight and just told the story, it would have probably been really interesting. This is a movie that wants to tug on the heart strings every chance it gets. Some of the events might have happened but their shape and emphasis is determined by a hack director. It probably bears about as much resemblance to reality as Hitchcock does. And I guarantee you that family did not go around with a string orchestra and piano playing schmaltz in the background on every sensitive occasion.

Sure it has gotten many good reviews, but by no means exclusively. Here's a sampling of other negative reviews from rottentomatoes:

Quote:
The hokum can wear you down worse than the tsunami.
--Jake Mulligan/Boston Phoenix

Quote:
Emotional exploitation of the most vile and insensitive kind.
--Tom Clift/Moviedex

Quote:
A sentimental slog that encourages us to celebrate the survival of European tourists while turning a blind eye to the deaths of thousands of others.
--A A Dowd/Time Out Chicago
Quote:
The dialogue is almost uniformly awful, and the plotting tugs on heartstrings more blatantly than a Hallmark Channel movie.
--Josh Bell/Las Vegas Weekly
Quote:
Riveting for a spell, but imbued with a phony uplifting sensibility that detracts from the Thailand tsunami's real story.
--Robert Lewin/amNew York

Quote:
An earnest, extremely grueling, prodigiously crafted true-life drama that takes one of the worst natural disasters in recorded history and reduces it to a bad day at Club Med.
--Ty Burr/Boston Globe

Quote:
A sham realist's disaster movie, tackily insulting the deaths of 300,000 people by reducing the horrors of the Indian Ocean tsunami to a series of genre titillations.
--Ed Gonzalez/Slant Magzine

Last edited by kihei: 01-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Looper

7/10 solid film, could've been better connection wise. I like Willis but maybe this movie made me realize his acting kinda sucks

Old
01-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Ted - 5.5/10

Not a huge fan of these kinds of movies, but I did find it to be quite funny at times.

Trouble with the Curve - 4/10

I kind of knew I wouldn't like it, but I am a sucker for baseball movies. The baseball scenes were actually well done and interesting. If the story was about an old scout struggling trying to cope with getting old and losing his eyesight, I would have been happy. Instead it trys to tell several different stories and doesn't do a good job with any of them. There was literally no reason for Timberlake's character to be in the movie. John Goodman was good though. The saving grace of the film for me was Amy Adams. Her performance was forgetable, but there is just something so hot about girls who know and like sports. She is beautiful enough as is, but she was smoking in this movie.

Premium Rush - 8/10

The first 20 minutes of these movie were outstanding. It felt like a rush just watching the thing. I was having so much fun but then the frantic pace that was so effective, came crashing to a halt and the movie never fully recovered. The main story was also a little too serious based on the mood of the film. I'm not as high on JGL as others, but he was perfectly cast in this. Michael Shannon was outstanding as well. It maybe didn't all fit together perfectly, but I had a lot of fun.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:09 AM
BGDDYKWL

Gone Baby Gone - 9.5/10.

I really liked this movie a lot. I love movies that make you think after they're over. (Spoilers follow). It was funny because in the beginning of the movie I was thinking to myself, I really don't like any of these people at all, I don't even care all that much if they get their daughter back. I was wondering how they were gonna get around that. Job well done. Lol. Leaves you with a great moral/ethical dilemma. For those who have seen it, do you think Casey Affleck's character was right?

Old
01-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Knocked Up - Pretty funny , first time I saw it actually.For a comedy I would give it a solid 8/10.

Oldschool
- While I'm a huge Ferrell fan , this wasn't his best movie.Never understood the hype around it.Give it a 6/10.

Elf - Watched this with my nephew , already saw it previously , not bad for a kid movie but not the greatest Ferrell movie either.My rating: 4/10

The Dictator
- I really liked Borat back then , hated Bruno but got told Dictator was closer to Borat so I just bought the movie right away.I was a little bit disappointed but the movie had it's moments. 7/10

The Dark Knight Rises - Saw it at the theatre and re-saw it yesterday , of course it was a great movie but I thought it wasn't at the level of Batman Begins , so forget the comparisons with The Dark Knight right away.Still , a solid 8.5/10

The Game - (With Michael Douglas) , pretty old movie but fantastic paranoid thriller , I'm just a sucker for these kind of movies I guess.7/10

Les Visiteurs - French movie with Jean Reno , amazingly funny , a solid 8/10.

Space Odyssey 2001 - Watched this movie for the 10th time , always a pleasure to watch.One of my favorite movie.9/10

Bruce the Almighty - WTF? 2/10

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain
- Another french movie , always wondered about that one since every critics gave it remarkable rating.I watched it and it's true that the movie is quite good , in fact it is completely the opposite of everything I would want in a movie yet still succeeded in leaving me a strong impression.8.5/10

Blades of Glory
- Yet another Will Ferrell movie , filmed in Montreal.It was the second time I watched it and it actually made me laugh a whole lot more this time around.Not sure exactly why , probably how I felt in general that day.Chazz Michael Michaels is the most underrated Ferrell character.7/10

Last edited by Jafar: 01-07-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Les Miserables - 8.5/10

Loved it, although it dragged a little for me at some points. Jackman proves he can do no wrong, Hathaway proves she can do everthing right in twenty minutes of screentime, and Crowe proves he should never do musicals.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Looper - 8/10
Django - 9/10

Old
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

A Clockwork Orange

I kept hearing about this movie and how it was a classic and a masterpiece.. so I had to check it out. I have to say I was severely disappointed. I love symbolism in movies and A Clockwork Orange doesn't disappoint in that category. Yet, it doesn't really add up to anything. The music and acting is great but every scene just felt messy and random. Although the acting is great, I felt no attachment whatsoever to any of the characters; I didn't care for any of them. The ending was anticlimactic and boring completing the disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it's a okay-good movie.. but by no means is a classic in my opinion.

6.4/10

Old
01-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Away From Her - 4/10

I was really quite dissapointed with this movie since I enjoyed Take This Waltz. I think a big problem with it was the length. I guess I am not at the point where I can sit through a slow movie for 110 minutes yet. Most of the slow cinema I have enjoyed has clocked in around 80-90 minutes.

I had other problems as well. I thought Polley was a little heavy handed particularly early on. It seemed liked she was working too hard to try to establish the fact that Christie's character had Alzheimer's. Then once it got going, it felt like I was watching the same scene over and over.

There were some things I liked. I thought Julie Christie was outstanding. I liked the Canadian feel of it and it was nice to hear some Neil Young. I also thought the final scene was very powerful. Sadly, it just couldn't hold my interest.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Kihei,

What's your take on these two films:

Once Were Warriors:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110729/

Sweet Sixteen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/

Thoughts on Jake and Liam?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Away From Her - 4/10

I was really quite dissapointed with this movie since I enjoyed Take This Waltz. I think a big problem with it was the length. I guess I am not at the point where I can sit through a slow movie for 110 minutes yet. Most of the slow cinema I have enjoyed has clocked in around 80-90 minutes.

I had other problems as well. I thought Polley was a little heavy handed particularly early on. It seemed liked she was working too hard to try to establish the fact that Christie's character had Alzheimer's. Then once it got going, it felt like I was watching the same scene over and over.

There were some things I liked. I thought Julie Christie was outstanding. I liked the Canadian feel of it and it was nice to hear some Neil Young. I also thought the final scene was very powerful. Sadly, it just couldn't hold my interest.
Yeah, I powered through and loved it. Still put it on when I feel the need for a good cry.

Closed Thread