HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RIP NHL Lockout (September 15th 2012 - January 12th 2013)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
  #176
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
What? Just about every aspect of this deal is better for the owners than the previous one.

And any owner who is upset about missing 3 months of gates isn't going to want to miss any more beyond this anyway.
It is. And it was going to be regardless. I don't see the reward versus the risk of losing fans while losing gates.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
  #177
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Fine. They came to their senses. When does the season start?
January 15,17 or 19. They got the deal done at 4:30 this morning.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
  #178
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Also can anyone explain this tidbit;

Does it mean any team can Get the first pick?
It means the lottery will be like it is now (with all the non-playoff teams continuing to be included in the lottery)...but the limitation against a team outside the bottom 5 winning the 1st overall pick will be eliminated. So if the 10th worst team wins the lottery, they will get the #1 pick...whereas presently they would only move up to #6.

At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery while the 29th-place team has a 18.8% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team (such that the odds of the 17th-place team picking in what would be its non-lottery order of 14th are 99.5%). A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position by up to four places, and no team dropping more than one place. Therefore, only the 26th through 30th place teams are eligible to receive the first overall draft pick. Consequently, the 30th place team's combined chance of retaining the first overall pick or "winning" it is 48.2% and if that team does not get the first pick it is guaranteed to pick second. The 26th place team could either pick first (8.1% chance), fifth (74.7% chance), or sixth (17.2% chance). Starting in 2013 under the new CBA, all 14 non-playoff teams would have a chance to grab the first overall pick using the same weighting system format, which eliminates the rule where a team can only move up four positions in the draft.


Last edited by broadwayblue: 01-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.
broadwayblue is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
  #179
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
Any #NHL player not on entry level contract will now have own room on the road. Used to be 600 games played in league

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...65068417716227

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
  #180
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It is. And it was going to be regardless. I don't see the reward versus the risk of losing fans while losing gates.
Which is somehow going to prevent owners from voting yes on this deal, which was your implication. Guys like Dolan never wanted the lockout in the first place. They aren't going to vote against ending it out of spite.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
  #181
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Question is;

If any one other than us wins the cup, do we consider them "real champs"?

Also can anyone explain this tidbit;



Does it mean any team can Get the first pick?
No, any non-playoff team can get it. Although the odds will be weighted dramatically in reverse order of finish amongst those 14.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
  #182
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
We're back baby!

SRTtoZ is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:01 AM
  #183
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  #184
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It is. And it was going to be regardless. I don't see the reward versus the risk of losing fans while losing gates.
They knew all would be forgiven as soon as the season was "saved."

There is some reward amongest both the players and the owners be it convoluted or hidden from we; the HRR as BRB put it, otherwise why would they have let it happen at all.

I think deep down most fans know they're walking dollar sign, but don't think it is worth it to deprive themselves of something they love to make a point, which given the defeatest attitude of "How can I make a difference alone?" would be a rather insignificant point anyway.

I'm happy to see games again, but this has definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth. It doesn't take a lockout to know you're being ***** in the wallet and left begging for more, but it shows their willingness to rub that fact in your face and not lose sleep over it.

__________________
Ail is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  #185
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
We're back baby!
I'm lining up for my fix with all the other crack heads.

Pizza is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
  #186
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
When will we see the schedule?

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  #187
Jackpot
Registered Abuser
 
Jackpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Question is;

If any one other than us wins the cup, do we consider them "real champs"?
This season is going to be about avoiding a "slow start"... and as usual, getting hot at the right time (game 51). Applies to everyone, not just the Rangers. If you're not playing decent hockey 50+ games into the season, well, probably not gonna change much by game 65-70. I can deal with .500 hockey for 50 games, as long as
1. It gets us into the playoffs..
2. We get hot around game 50

Jackpot is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  #188
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 500
I woke up this morning, and while I hate to admit it, wept tears of joy. Let's go get the Cup.

I Eat Crow is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  #189
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
When will we see the schedule?
Gotta figure within the next 24 hours or so.

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  #190
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,123
vCash: 373
I don't think it's defeatist to look at the big picture and realize that if you don't tune in to watch the Rangers on tv the only one who is going to be affected is you.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  #191
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,146
vCash: 500
So does Redden count towards the cap now?

Machinehead is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
  #192
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,353
vCash: 500
The Atlantic is going to be a dog fight.. I know NJ got worse but they always seem to be in it.. So we play the Penguins, Flyers, Devils, and Islanders(meh) 7 times each. every game is gonna feel like playoff atmosphere

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
  #193
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,123
vCash: 373
I think it would be harder to win a cup in a shortened season than a full season but that's just my opinion.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
  #194
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
This season is going to be about avoiding a "slow start"... and as usual, getting hot at the right time (game 51). Applies to everyone, not just the Rangers. If you're not playing decent hockey 50+ games into the season, well, probably not gonna change much by game 65-70. I can deal with .500 hockey for 50 games, as long as
1. It gets us into the playoffs..
2. We get hot around game 50
Indeed. Although you typically want to be "hot" a bit earlier than the last game of the season. So yeah, at the very least don't suck out of the gate...and put it in top gear a couple weeks prior to the end of the regular season. Let's drop the freaking puck already!!!

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
  #195
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,537
vCash: 500
Any news on Center Ice prices?

Levitate is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
  #196
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nashty View Post
I think it would be harder to win a cup in a shortened season than a full season but that's just my opinion.
very well could be, not much margin for error, and if you start out really bad, you might lose any chance you have.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
  #197
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So does Redden count towards the cap now?
Pretty sure it doesn't...

Glennsoe is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
  #198
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nashty View Post
I think it would be harder to win a cup in a shortened season than a full season but that's just my opinion.
Perhaps, but 30 less games for us as a grinding, shot blocking team can't be a bad thing. We should be a bit less worn out heading into the playoffs.

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
  #199
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Any news on Center Ice prices?
I heard the NHL has nothing to do with setting those prices, so can't really do anything

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
  #200
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How would that really have been that much different? Instead, you're going to get a compressed and condensed season where the first three weeks of play will be marginal at best because they're giving the teams zero time to get ready
If you don't see how any season is much different from no season at all, I really don't know how to explain it

Machinehead is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.