HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Predict the buyouts

Old
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Horcoff for sure
And Hemsky if he breaks again this season (highly likely)

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Sounds like the buyouts are *only* for the next off-season anyway, which makes sense - if they're allowing teams to spend to $70.2M effectively for this year, there was never a need for any immediate buyout allowance. The "compliance" issue is only for the lowered cap next year. So all the buyouts come in the summer. So we basically all just sit and re-evaluate after the players play out this year, it will obviously have an effect on who the real buyout candidates are. Some new ones will undoubtedly emerge once the half-season is done. Some (like Gomez) will be obvious no matter how they perform this season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIHH View Post
From tsn.ca live blog:

Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players' overall share in revenues, but not the team's salary cap.
It says after the season. Which means the summer before the 2013/14 season, and the 2014/15 season, NOT before the 48 game season we're going to play. I believe that means "normal" buy out rules are in play. Which means that the Rangers either have to buy out Redden, or his cap hit (exceeding $105K) counts because he's playing in another professional league.

Not sure if the Hawks would buy out Olesz, or wait until the amnesty period. I think I'd rather take the $3M cap hit this year and buy him out in the amnesty period than have them have a cap penalty when the cap drops next year, but who knows what the team is thinking.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Pronger? forgot Matt Walker
I believe that players have to pass a physical to be bought out. The Hawks weren't allowed to buy out Olesz at the start of last year because he was coming off a knee injury and wouldn't pass the phsyical.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:06 AM
homegrizown

jovo from the panthers. unless he retires.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Let's see what the details of the buyout provisions are. If the players are getting 100% of their salaries on the buyouts, then for example, the Habs aren't going to buy anybody out until the summer. Guys like Gomez and Kaberle would still nominally have roster spots for this season, just as they did heading into October.

Flip side, if you only had to pay them 2/3rds of their salary, then maybe you could start weighing the value of Gomez as your 3rd/4th line/spare player vs. a rookie or minor leaguer at the $$$ paid out for this year too.

Anyway, obviously Gomez will be bought out in the summer at the latest in order to make the next $64.3M cap. Good motivation for him to bounce back this year!

Players past Gomez, well, it will just come down to how they play this year. Bourque or Kaberle can still have value to the team, and sans Gomez, it will be TBD whether the Habs would want/need more cap space next year beyond his departure. Kaberle or Bourque could prove themselves worth retaining with good showings this season. Or could put themselves forward as options for the 2nd buyout slot as well.

All still assuming the buyouts are allowed anytime up to the start of the 2013-14 season/cap compliance deadline.

Based on information to date, I "predict" no immediate buyouts for the Habs, then. Gomez in the summer.
On XM radio they said the buyouts were at 2/3's remaining cash value.

The big advantage for the Habs to buying out Gomez after this season is that they only have to pay him 2/3's of the remaining cash, and get to avoid the cap hit. Since the cash is something like $3M - they'd only have to pay him $2M, and get to avoid the $7M cap hit. Gives them a ton more flexibility.

Same thing works for Briere, or anyone else who has a significantly front-loaded contract.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
candyman82

Nobody from Columbus

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Ville. Leino.
Isn't he owed somethink like $25+M? I know that BUFF's new owner is loaded, but is willing to pay Leino $16+M to walk away?

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Isn't he owed somethink like $25+M? I know that BUFF's new owner is loaded, but is willing to pay Leino $16+M to walk away?
there is two yrs to decide so they could give him this yr and next to not suck and if he does buy him out in the last summer they can

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I not.religous but I will go to church every Sunday and 3 days awake to thank the lord if we dont have to hear anymor 2021 DiPietro jokes
Only issue there like I said before is he has to pass a physical to be eligible for buy out.

More importantly, given that the last thing that Wang wants to do is pay out cash without getting credit for it against the cap floor, and I can't believe that Dipietro would be a candidate for an amnesty buy-out. I can see the Isle buying him out right now, (if RDP would pass the physical), because Wang would get to only pay out 2/3 of the contract over TWICE the remaining term (or until 2031!!!!). I'll probably be retired by than, and RDP would still be collecting his paycheck! The equivelant would be if Bryan Trottier was still collecting paychecks from the Isles!!!

Old
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
there is two yrs to decide so they could give him this yr and next to not suck and if he does buy him out in the last summer they can
Not to mention paying him $16 million to play against them. Leino will surely get picked up unless something catastrophic happens to him next season.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Nobody from Columbus
That's what I think too.
We have already traded or bought out all of the big contract non-contributors when we dumped payroll last season. Other potentials only have one year left like Steve Mason.

Umberger - Still a big contributor on both sides of the ice. Great in the locker room. Dedicated to Columbus.

Brassard - Still young, has this year and next year left on his contract. We're weak up the middle.

Wisniewski - Had a huge impact when in the lineup. Was on pace for 50 points on the worst team in the league. Has noticeably improved his defensive play and is capable of logging 25+ minutes.

Dubinsky - Just acquired him in the Nash deal. They need to see how he plays in his role for Columbus.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Thats' a very fine point.

I think a lot of the 2014-15 amnesty buy-outs will depend entirely on where the cap is. If there is a big revenue hit, I think that they will be much more in play. If the fans (aka - cattle) come back 100% though - likely not that big of a deal.

The important thing from the owners perspective is that the buyouts are all "free money", as they count as player compensation with regard to HRR. So they pay the buy-outs, but all players will just have more salary lost to escrow to compensate.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
wedge

bye bye Gomez!!!
Kaberle deserves another chance, IMO. He gets points, at least.

Bourque? He gets a chance this season and if does nothing, goodbye.

For this year I only see Gomez getting bought out. Maybe Kaberle if they feel our defense is set.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Peter Griffin

Ballard and/or Booth for the Canucks depending on subsequent moves. I gotta think Ballard will be regardless though, he just hasn't been worth his contract.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Fourier

$64.3M pretty much saved every team's bacon. The difference between that and $60M is huge as far as teams having to scramble.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:33 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
To Tampa Bay
Wade Redden
Taylor Pyatt
3rd round pick 2013

To New York Rangers

Vinny L
1st round pick 2014

Fans might not like this - but owners most definitely will
And they usually get what they want

After this year Redden will be owed $5M and can be bought out by Tampa
Vinny L. still has $45 M on his contract after this season!
They save an awful lot of $$ here!!!
Vinny L is then bought out by The Rangers after this year

FLAME AWAY
No flame.

I don't see THIS exactly happening, esp. w/TB surrendering a 1st.
But I could see something else being done.

---------------

Can clubs eat a portion of a salary? Or is it all or nothing?
(Second ? is the aspect of if the cap hit is tied to that salary eating [or not].)

If yes, that would help facilitate expediting of Redden off the Ranger roster, although I see for the final year they are more likely, all things equal, to hold that buy out in abeyance to have bigger flexibility on a bigger move down the road.

-----------------

Is there a hard limit on 2 buy outs you get?
Or can you trade at least 1 of your rights to a buy out?

That is a possible factor.

------------------

At this point the Rangers are in relatively good shape.
Depending on what the return would be, I would entertain trading Brad Richards to have flexibility cap wise on upgrade.

If that strategy does not yield enough attractive alternatives, especially if the buy out(s) is/are a use it or lose it proposition, I can see possibly buying out Richards, wink wink, with signing him immediately after to a much smaller contract.

Richards does this because the net of what he gets under the buyout and further re-signing is more total $$ than under his current deal, but same would give NY more cap room than otherwise.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Xoggz22

There are several details that need to be kept in mind for buyouts... For players with no movement clauses can they be bought out? What impact will existing contract language have on this situation. For a player with a future no movement clause how does that impact?

As for the CBJ, I don't see anyone being bought out.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

If that strategy does not yield enough attractive alternatives, especially if the buy out(s) is/are a use it or lose it proposition, I can see possibly buying out Richards, wink wink, with signing him immediately after to a much smaller contract.
WTF? You realize that buyouts cannot be resigned by their own team right? You think the league would be dumb enough to allow this?

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Nolanitis

I would think the Islanders will buy out DiPietro, although he would probably want an insurance claim instead of the buyout. But 8 more years at 4.5 million for 4-5 subpar games makes no sense.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Xoggz22

In the case of Gomez, I would think buying him out as soon as possible would be the preferred way to go if there was no need for him on a team. He has 2 years left on his contract that total $10MM. Saving $3.3MM on that contract would be better than saving $1.5MM from the last year. The $7MM cap space may not be needed but creating as much flexibility as possible would seem logical to me not to mention saving more real $$$

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
I would think the Islanders will buy out DiPietro, although he would probably want an insurance claim instead of the buyout. But 8 more years at 4.5 million for 4-5 subpar games makes no sense.
I guarantee you that RDP wouldn't be a amnesty buy-out, because then Wang would be paying him and not getting credit for those $'s against the cap.

If that's the case - it becomes regular buy-out which can happen at any time. Wang bought out a bunch of years from Yashin - not sure if he's got the same appetite to be paying RDP until 2031. I guess at the end of the day - he's be "saving" 15M or so (1/3 of RDP's remaining contract), but that's still a tough call.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
In the case of Gomez, I would think buying him out as soon as possible would be the preferred way to go if there was no need for him on a team. He has 2 years left on his contract that total $10MM. Saving $3.3MM on that contract would be better than saving $1.5MM from the last year. The $7MM cap space may not be needed but creating as much flexibility as possible would seem logical to me not to mention saving more real $$$
I think you're missing one very major point. The amnesty buyout isn't until next summer. If the Hab's buy out Gomez right now - I think the "old" buy out rules are in place where the front loaded contract result in big cap hits when bought out.

Of course - that's just my understanding. They have been very specific though that the amnesty buy outs occur prior to the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons. I assume that any buyout before that would be unchanged from the old CBA, but that's just my assumption.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
why are Leaf fans not excited that Burke can get rid of crap? Lombardi and Komisarek make way too much and the Leafs have tons of cash so get these guys off the freaking cap and go make a good signing or play some kids
Because we dont need to buy them out. Were not pressed to the cap.

Komisarek isnt worth 4.5m. But hes still a bottom pairing dman that Burke likes for the locker room. Why buy him out, then pay another bottom pairing dman to take his spot?

Lombardi has the rest of this season. Again theres no point to buy him out unless we need the room in a major trade. We have 6m in cap space this season and over 20m next. We dont need buy outs.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Will we see trade and buyouts?

IE big market teams take on a contract + assets and buys them out?
Burke took on Lombardi to get a guy in Franson so I would not be surprised to see this happen.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote