HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Yeah, I'll change my pick if that trade eventually happens. Luongo pushes them into exactly where we want them to be - still not good enough for the playoffs, but far away from a top 5-6 pick.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:18 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Final thought on my Blainville-Boisbriand night:

1- Jam packed. Fun game based on how it turned out thanks to the mediocrity of Rimouski's goalie Hozjan who gave away the tying goal while behind the net and passing to a BB player. And was so ****ed because of it that he looked awful on the game winning goal. But fun for the fans. BB was losing with less than 3 minutes to go

2- Reason why stars of the game are so misleading. They gave the 1st star to Tesink who scored the game winning goal....I' ve never seen Tesink played such a bad game in my life. Bad efforts all night long, lacked interest, bad choices and so on. A really really bad game....1st star.

3- In the end, Gauthier was rather invisible. But you do admire his hockey sense. Based solely on today, you do appreciate how committed he is to his defensive game. But all and all, this was not the game to shine for him

4- I have to say, I am absolute sold on Kostalek. Not sure where in the draft. But he's a pick I'd made. Not the biggest, we know he also suck at fighting (didn't fight today), but he's so often well positioned, he has a great stick positioned, nice passes, got shifted once by Giroux, good skater. Remains to be seen about the offensive side of his game though. But he's a nice project

5- Should I repeat that I want to have Peter Trainor either drafted or signed as a UFA. Lethal as a scorer, nice pass on the assist he had

6- Not sold on DeLuca despite the great wrister he showed on the top corner beating Marcoux, who I thought, had better games though. But he doesn't have a great overall game, defensively, in the middle zone etc. I didn't see him until that goal and dissapeared once again

7- Undrafted guys I liked, like I mentioned there were: MacKinnon and Gagné from Rimouski. Undrafted '95 that I was going to see was Giant Morin, who I wasn't too impressed with. Tough to see the upside, no offensive game from him, nice speed, but he has to be in the category of "incredibly raw projects". Gravel was ok at times, nothing earth shattering.

8- For BB, while there are no interest from me from 95' born, except for one guy I'll talk after but I just wanted to say this: George Laraque junior euh....I mean...Yasin Cissé loves to bring energy but as far as a hockey player is concerned....he's not going anywhere even if he got what, the hardworking player of the game....yes, good job. But it will need more than that to develop into a hockey player. I'm not getting it from him. Matteau was pissed off, like I mentioned, and showed 1 time, what a good power forward he could become. Using some speed, and cutting inside to drive the net. That was fun to see. A big guy, who I might suggest a little overweight....but looked immensely big. Had no problem going at it with giant 6'6'' Morin. And I still like Cédric Paquette very much.

9- Marc Olivier Roy: Only late 94' I was interested in and despite the goal though thanks to the great Paquette pass, I'm not sold on his hockey sense. And that's usually a big no-no for me. He had a lot of problems in his zone. So tonight was not the night to sell me some Roy but hey.....I didn't have any night to sold me some Hudon last year....

That's it folks. Good night.
Gravel didn't play?

Gauthier is not a flashy player at all. Creates most of his offense by Defense.He does have to improve his skating too.

Kostalek is probably the best of the 3 draft eligible D's in Rimouski. I'd take him late in the 2nd.

When Rimouski came in Sherbrooke I thought Morin was pretty good. He saw a lot of PP time and was distributing the puck well. But as you pointed, his skating was what stood out to me. And his frame, obviously

I think I prefer Joly over De Luca, as far as small forwards go for this draft. Maybe not as talented, but he works hard. But they're not my first choice in that department, Etchegary is.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I think a lot of teams will surprise this year.
Unfortunately, with a goalie like Price, we could as well.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Et le But

Tank on!

Old
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I am not going to cheer for a tank until it's clear our team has absolutely no business being a play-off team. While I think, by looking at the roster, that is the likely case.. I'm never going into a new season hoping to lose. Only after its apparent we are not good enough and the best scenario is another high pick.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I am not going to cheer for a tank until it's clear our team has absolutely no business being a play-off team. While I think, by looking at the roster, that is the likely case.. I'm never going into a new season hoping to lose. Only after its apparent we are not good enough and the best scenario is another high pick.
In all seriousness I don't believe in tanking, but this is a team whose big offseason signing was Prust, has no creativity on the wings, and the head coach is Therrien. So I think the rest should come naturally.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
In all seriousness I don't believe in tanking, but this is a team whose big offseason signing was Prust, has no creativity on the wings, and the head coach is Therrien. So I think the rest should come naturally.
The biggest off season additions are Markov and Gionta. Plus maybe a "new" Kaberle and Bourque.

Plus a new coach and GM should be a boost with the veterans wanting to make a good impression.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Of course, the ruk and yuk duo could be great.

We have several smaller wingers in the system though, far more than potential #1 centers.
Seriously, how many potential top-6 wingers do we have in the system? I only count 5 that have that potential in Gallagher, Kristo, Collberg, Hudon and Bozon and none of them is a sure thing to make it to that level. In fact, I don't know if I see any of them being a first line player.

At least, there's one very, very good center that has much more chances to be that No.1 center.

I say pick the best player available, even if it's a d-man.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:10 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Team was snake-bitten last year though... All that could possibly go wrong went wrong.... Besides DD, Cole and Patches that is.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Seriously, how many potential top-6 wingers do we have in the system? I only count 5 that have that potential in Gallagher, Kristo, Collberg, Hudon and Bozon and none of them is a sure thing to make it to that level. In fact, I don't know if I see any of them being a first line player.

At least, there's one very, very good center that has much more chances to be that No.1 center.

The thing is, after Galchenyuk, there is almost nothing in terms of legit offensive talent at center on our prospect list. MacMillan and Pribyl often play the wing. Walsh would be the other guy and he's a major project type prospect.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Leblanc plus maybe Galchenyuk depending on where he ends up.

Old
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Team was snake-bitten last year though... All that could possibly go wrong went wrong.... Besides DD, Cole and Patches that is.
Snake-bitten? This was a team that had to play guys like Blunden and Darche with the top centre. Yes, Gionta was hurt, but there was a serious lack of talent. If Pacioretty didn't break out, and Cole have his best season ever, this team would have been worse than Columbus.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Fozz

Quote:
For the record, I predict we will be 5th in the lottery. Which still means a great prospect.

CBJ, NYI, TOR and an unknown team at this time will be in the top 4.
I predict a pick between 10-14.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Gravel didn't play?

Gauthier is not a flashy player at all. Creates most of his offense by Defense.He does have to improve his skating too.

Kostalek is probably the best of the 3 draft eligible D's in Rimouski. I'd take him late in the 2nd.

When Rimouski came in Sherbrooke I thought Morin was pretty good. He saw a lot of PP time and was distributing the puck well. But as you pointed, his skating was what stood out to me. And his frame, obviously

I think I prefer Joly over De Luca, as far as small forwards go for this draft. Maybe not as talented, but he works hard. But they're not my first choice in that department, Etchegary is.
I have Gravel in my point 7. Agree with your points and especially the Etchegary one. With his injury, I wonder where he'll go but I know I'd take him in the 2nd without any hesitation. He is going to be a really interesting player in the future.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Leblanc plus maybe Galchenyuk depending on where he ends up.
I don't see Leblanc being more than a 3rd line player, unless he greatly improves his skating. The reports of him being a great skater were greatly exaggerated. There's still a lot of time but I'm worried about him.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I predict a pick between 10-14.
I agree, after the top 4-5 teams in the East we can be as good or better than the rest.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Snake-bitten? This was a team that had to play guys like Blunden and Darche with the top centre. Yes, Gionta was hurt, but there was a serious lack of talent. If Pacioretty didn't break out, and Cole have his best season ever, this team would have been worse than Columbus.
They scored enough goals to make the playoffs. They have to improve their D game, and spread out the offensive production. One game they'd get shutout and then would score 6 goals... A Healthy Markov, Emelin and Diaz in their 2nd year, and the physical add-ons won't make them worst.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I don't see Leblanc being more than a 3rd line player, unless he greatly improves his skating. The reports of him being a great skater were greatly exaggerated. There's still a lot of time but I'm worried about him.
From what he showed last year(smarts, hockey sense and non stop motor) I think he has a much higher chance at 2nd line than 3rd. This year has been mostly a wipe out with his ankle injury. He had 22 points in 31 AHL games(prorates to 58 points) at 20 with no training camp due to his shoulder injury. My biggest concern in his case is staying healthy moreso than upside.

He isn't a great skater but he keeps his feet moving and has a lot of smarts so he always gets where he has to be on time.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
The thing is, after Galchenyuk, there is almost nothing in terms of legit offensive talent at center on our prospect list. MacMillan and Pribyl often play the wing. Walsh would be the other guy and he's a major project type prospect.
I think that you will be able to pick a pretty good center in the first 2 rounds of this draft. True that there's nothing at center right now so if possible another centerman would be nice. But you never have enough wingers. I have plenty of confidence that Kristo and Collberg are 2 future top 6 wingers. The rest is totally up for grabs. Though surprisingly enough, we never have too many d-men as well and frankly aside from what we already have in Subban, NOBODY on our prospect list is a surefire project to be top 2. Beaulieu might get there. Tinordi won't. The closest you can have to a top 2 aside from Beaulieu might be Bennett and he still has ways to go. Others like Dietz, Ellis, Thrower, you could think a max of top 4. So I absolutely don't get why people would be against getting a Jones....makes no sense whatsoever.

So the needs are all over the place. Take the best man for sure, yet, this concept is so vague that of course, if a guy is so much better than another guy at another position, of course they'll take him....but it's not often the case and especially not on the first 2 rounds. Players' ratings will be so damn close from each other.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Fozz

Quote:

So the needs are all over the place. Take the best man for sure, yet, this concept is so vague that of course, if a guy is so much better than another guy at another position, of course they'll take him....but it's not often the case and especially not on the first 2 rounds. Players' ratings will be so damn close from each other.
With my prediction of the Habs picking 10-14, the d-man I have in mind is Pulock. If he ever falls a bit, he would be a total steal.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
From what he showed last year(smarts, hockey sense and non stop motor) I think he has a much higher chance at 2nd line than 3rd. This year has been mostly a wipe out with his ankle injury. He had 22 points in 31 AHL games(prorates to 58 points) at 20 with no training camp due to his shoulder injury. My biggest concern in his case is staying healthy moreso than upside.

He isn't a great skater but he keeps his feet moving and has a lot of smarts so he always gets where he has to be on time.
It might be due to the ankle injury but the player I'm seeing this year has trouble keeping up in the AHL. He's just not creating much and he's consistently a second behind the play.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I have Gravel in my point 7. Agree with your points and especially the Etchegary one. With his injury, I wonder where he'll go but I know I'd take him in the 2nd without any hesitation. He is going to be a really interesting player in the future.
I think he'll be there in the 3rd round, especially since he didn't play much this year. If people love Dumont, they would love Etchegary.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
With my prediction of the Habs picking 10-14, the d-man I have in mind is Pulock. If he ever falls a bit, he would be a total steal.
Zadorov, Morrisey and Nurse look good too.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Zadorov, Morrisey and Nurse look good too.
I wonder if Risto could slide to 10.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
MaxLacoste

Bergevin went to a lot of Rimouski games this year. I think they are really interessed by Frederick Gauthier. He would be a excellent 2nd line center. Great 1-2 punch with Gally. If we pick around 15-25 overall, I'll go with him. The best scenario would be that we pick Top 5 (Drouin), trade for a late 1st round pick a get Gauthier. After that we get complementary talent or long shot with our three 2nd round picks.

Perfect Scenario (will never happen, but let's dream a little)

1st pick (top 5): Jonathan Drouin
2nd pick (late 1st round) : Frédérik Gauthier
3rd pick (top tier 2nd round): Anthony Duclair
4th pick (1st half of 2nd round): Nick Sorensen
5th pick (late 2nd round): Mirco Muller
6th pick (top tier 3rd round): Nic Petan
7th pick (top tier 5th round): Samuel Morin
8th pick (top tier 6th round): Jake Montgomery
9th pick (top tier 7th round): Hampus Olsson

Dream draft ... The first pick can be argued, but it depends where we pick. Here's my top 5 picks: either of them and I would be happy.

Jones
Drouin
Lindholm
Mackinnon
Barkov

Closed Thread