HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Kalamazoo Wings Thread IV (All Affiliate talk here)

Old
12-30-2012, 04:37 PM
MrMariusz

vCash: 500
Falcons were DUE and they showed up big today. Much better hockey, really taking it to Norfolk early, 3-0 first period.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
JrussJacket

Man Matt Calvert has really matured over the last year or so!? Take a look at this post game interview from last wk. Really like his attitude, always have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6uapAbCTbg

Interview is at 5:55 mark

JrussJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Watched the Falcons tonight and couple things pointed out to me.

JAM looked good early with a couple points then kind of drifted off and was invisible.
Chaput had a sick bar down goal off a feed from JAM.
Savard and Holden were literally out there for every real important shift.
Erixon looked solid with Weber, kind of surprised he wasnt out there with a minute less guess Savard/Holden have the trust since they've been together for awhile.
Cam has an unreal shot. Clearly NHL caliber hit the post twice.
McElhinney got beat on some pretty weak shots from the point.
Johan was rather invisible but it looked like Kubalik kind of brought down that line tonight.
Dalton Smith looks like a tank out there.
Erixon got a penalty for pulling a guy that was on top of McElhinney when he was out of the crease. Total wtf penalty.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Mid-year player by player review:

http://therantspringfieldfalcons.blo....html?spref=tw

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I haven't followed The Falcons, but I agree on the assessments of Johansen, Moore, and Savard based on what I saw in CBus last year. It may be his body type, and I know the same has been said of Nash, but Ryan Johansen never seems to be at full speed/top effort in my opinion. Let's hope he ends up as good as Nasher.

Derby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:47 PM
bizzz*

No Chaput?

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:37 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
No Chaput?
He's @16- looks like guy forgot to hit space bar-he's on end of #15

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:57 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
He's @16- looks like guy forgot to hit space bar-he's on end of #15
Thanks. I was going by the numbers and missed him.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert

Good read.... Not happy with the Johansen report but I can't put up a defensible argument to counter... he better come to play in Columbus or his career could be in jeopardy...

I like the reports on Calvert and Atkinson but as much as we all like heart there must be skill to score at the NHL level too... a team cannot win the cup on heart alone, there must be the skill to put the puck into the tight spaces ….we will see.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Good read.... Not happy with the Johansen report but I can't put up a defensible argument to counter... he better come to play in Columbus or his career could be in jeopardy...

I like the reports on Calvert and Atkinson but as much as we all like heart there must be skill to score at the NHL level too... a team cannot win the cup on heart alone, there must be the skill to put the puck into the tight spaces ….we will see.
I don't see a lot of Springfield games, but I can say that this would not have been anywhere near my assessments of him when he played in Portland.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

When talking about Johan, expectations have to be considered when he is graded. People tend to grade on what they expect. May not be totally fair, but it is what it is.

Johan is developing at the same pace that many other big centers have in the past. Center is one of the toughest positions to play in pro hockey. He will get there and be a stud.

This lock-out ending is going to decimate the Falcons. Hope they can continue to have success. Of course other teams will lose players as well, but we seem to have a pretty big roster representation there.

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 01-06-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:08 AM
EspenK

Looks like they will lose Cam, Johansen, Moore & another D-Erixon or Savard? Rest of NHL roster looks set to me,

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Matt

I say keep Johansen in Springfield. There are enough centers on the CBJ roster and he needs more developement.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:54 AM
JacketsFanWest

With too quick of a start to the season, there's a big potential for any of the NHLers who aren't in shape or having been playing that much to get injured, especially groin pulls.

The AHLers should be in the best game shape and throwing them into games early could be a good strategy.

The Falcons play today (1/6) and then Friday (1/11) and 1/12. Then they have a rare Tuesday game 1/15. So, they're not going to be able to spare a lot of players.

I'd rather Mason get a conditioning assignment in Falcons and bring up McElhinney. Mason hasn't played during the lockout.

Also, Moore is injured in Springfield (possibly concussed).

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I say keep Johansen in Springfield. There are enough centers on the CBJ roster and he needs more developement.
Wait, didn't you guarantee that there would be no level higher than the "A" for him to join, this season? You were not alone, of course, but your dedication to the negative in all things hockey seems to stand out to me. I hope you can somehow manage to find some pleasure in the season, no matter how short it may be.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Wow, really? Nothing like taking one persons opinion and turning it into gloom. I have been following the team all season (TV and radio) and have seen probably ten or so games. The kid is 20 and you already have his career in jeopardy? Ha ha. I was one of a few that wanted him back in Portland last season and I am very happy that he is developing in Springfield where he belongs right now. He has all the tools to be a productive player but I'm not sold on him ever being an elite talent. He may never turn into a number one center but his game is progressing and that's a good thing at this point in time.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:28 AM
RDriesenUD

I haven't seen any of Springfield's games this year, but I am happy with the stats Johansen is putting up. 32 GP, 12 G, 12 A, 24 PTS, +11 is pretty good for a 20 year old in the AHL, IMO.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Springfield has a game at 3. Any details as to who is playing or if all their superstars are on the way to Columbus?

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
JacketsFanWest

Johansen is +11, while Cam is +6. The team is winning and outscoring opponents, so that naturally helps +/-, but it shows he is putting in the effort to improve defensive.

The Falcons also play at lot of back to back games or even Fri, Sat, Sun games. Trying to play physically with that type of schedule for a young player gets difficult. There's little time to rest/heal up between games on the weekends and trying to hit or play physically when your bruised and banged up isn't easy.

Johansen has also improved in December. In 12 games, he had 6 goals and 5 assists. He had a had goaless streak in November that put him back from a point a game pace.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
The Johansen review runs pretty much 180 degrees counter to his coaches assessment. I think I'll go with the coach.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Xoggz22

Keep in mind that JD now runs the CBJ. I have heard him speak on multiple occassions since coming to Columbus and also take note of how he handled things in St. Louis. DOn't be surprised if Johan remains in Springfield to play big minutes as a center. With Dubi, AA, Brass and MacKenzie there is some depth to play center in Columbus (not saying great players but 4 proven NHL centers). Can add Umby to that and Letestu also.

I see Cam coming up - no brainer - and two d-men. Moore is injured but would be one when healthy. I could see Prout or Holden being the other one (or both initially). Granted, having Erixon learn from some of the vets in C-bus could be beneficial too.

I'm not ruling out a minor signing or trade to add some depth up front (especially if they do keep Johan in Springfield). Based on roster numbers there are only 12 forwards (including Cam and Johan) that appear to be on the capgeek roster.

I think Springfield loses a little with the agreement but I just don't get the impression they'll lose the bulk of their team.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Matt

Johansen is getting better and better. It would be to his advantage to say in Springfield and continue to develope under Larson's eye.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Springfield has a game at 3. Any details as to who is playing or if all their superstars are on the way to Columbus?
All of the possible NHL guys are playing other then Moore who is hurt.

01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I see Springy losing only two guys to the CBJ. Atkinson and either Moore or Erixson.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I’m happy to read the recent support for Johansen in this thread… Several months ago when he was playing in Columbus I read posts to the contrary… , with some luck the board will come to a consensus on this future star…

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote