HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Offseason Thread III (Now with Bonus Offseason!)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
  #876
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,788
vCash: 746
I'm all for guys like Smith and Ritchie to be given real shots during training camp, and letting them make the team if they clearly earn it. But personally I'd rather everyone but Dillon, Eakin, and Vincour stay in the AHL/OHL for the rest of the season. No need to rush anyone.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
  #877
MB94
@MBFarina94
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I'm all for guys like Smith and Ritchie to be given real shots during training camp, and letting them make the team if they clearly earn it. But personally I'd rather everyone but Dillon, Eakin, and Vincour stay in the AHL/OHL for the rest of the season. No need to rush anyone.
This with the exception of Scievour, IMO he would be a good bottom 6

MB94 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:28 PM
  #878
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,788
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
This with the exception of Scievour, IMO he would be a good bottom 6
You're right, I'm a big fan of him making the team.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
  #879
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
I really think Dillon is ready. He's going to push someone else out though. Right now the D looks something like this:
Goose-Larsen
Dillon-Daley
Robidas-Rome/Fistric

I wouldn't be surprised if Robidas gets dealt.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
  #880
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,499
vCash: 500
Sceviour definitely needs to be given a fair shot. He has played well in Texas and certainly looks like he can fill a lower line spot in the NHL.

txomisc is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  #881
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 500
And Sceviour could actually be a good bottom 6 player IMO.

FrailSwan is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
  #882
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,499
vCash: 500
maybe robidas will completely bomb out

txomisc is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
  #883
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
One thing to take into consideration is Ritchie is hurt. It's not just the collision he had pre-tournament. They gave him a rest day during the WJC, and the head coach said he was dealing with several nagging injuries not all related to the collision.

Like I mentioned a week ago, him attending camp could be just as valuable in allowing him to get healthy as it could be to get him acclimated with the team.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
  #884
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,745
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
maybe robidas will completely bomb out
If only we were so lucky.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
  #885
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
One thing to take into consideration is Ritchie is hurt. It's not just the collision he had pre-tournament. They gave him a rest day during the WJC, and the head coach said he was dealing with several nagging injuries not all related to the collision.

Like I mentioned a week ago, him attending camp could be just as valuable in allowing him to get healthy as it could be to get him acclimated with the team.
Good point. I forgot about his injury. 2 weeks off* should help him heal up a bit.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
  #886
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
Also .... I think the teams that go heavy on guys already in game shape will be the ones that could pull out front early in the season.

IMO ... it's key to get guys like Eakin, Vincour, Sceviour, and Dillon in this lineup. Then add to that You're entire first line of Benn, Eriksson, and Jagr are in game shape, and IMO your best defender Larsen is good to go.

I'm a bit concerned about Lehtonen and Bachman having not played games, but I trust that Lehtonen really is a new man since coming to Dallas. I believe at the very least he will in fact be in shape.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  #887
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
What is Robidas value? He is signed through 2014. Are we looking at another Ribiero like deal? Or picks?

TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
  #888
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
What is Robidas value? He is signed through 2014. Are we looking at another Ribiero like deal? Or picks?
IMO ... the teams that would want him won't take him right now.

All those teams are pretty much playoff teams, and they all spent to close to the $72 million cap this past summer.

It seems very unlikely any playoff team (other than DALLLAS!!!!!!) will be adding significant salary to the 2013-14 season until they figure out a way to get below the new cap.

Patience might be key here.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
  #889
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Robidas is due $3.5M* for this year and $2.85M for 13-14 by the way.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:02 PM
  #890
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Robidas is due $3.5M* for this year and $2.85M for 13-14 by the way.
Yeah, but his cap hit is $3.3 million.

I'm not trying to say it's impossible, but even at $64.3 million, some teams are going to struggle.

I don't know that I want him coming to Dallas, but one possibility with Minnesota would be Dany Heatley for Robidas.

Minnesota is in a tough, tough spot next season, and Heatley is guy often in speculation for an amnesty buyout. That option is great and everything, but that cash is real even if the cap hit isn't.

Heatley would cost $3.333 million in actual dollars to buyout. Instead of wasting that cash on nothing, they could spend $2.85 million on Robidas next season.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
  #891
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
This was expected .... but still very exciting:

Quote:
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge

Just talked to Dallas Stars coach Glen Gulutzan. Center Derek Roy has been cleared to play.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
  #892
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
Yeah ... GM's never talk to each other or free agents when they aren't suppose to.

Quote:
Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey

As per @BWildeCTV #NHL GMs cannot talk contract with free agents until new #NHLCBA is ratified on Tuesday. I assume same goes for trades.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:11 PM
  #893
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,793
vCash: 475
This is it for me for a bit. Heading to brother's house for the 2nd half of the Colts game. He's a huge Indy fan, and it's my baby nephew's 1st playoff game!!!!

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Probably going to be a huge flurry of player movement whenever GMs are finally permitted to make roster moves. Likely midweek.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
  #894
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah, but his cap hit is $3.3 million.

I'm not trying to say it's impossible, but even at $64.3 million, some teams are going to struggle.

I don't know that I want him coming to Dallas, but one possibility with Minnesota would be Dany Heatley for Robidas.

Minnesota is in a tough, tough spot next season, and Heatley is guy often in speculation for an amnesty buyout. That option is great and everything, but that cash is real even if the cap hit isn't.

Heatley would cost $3.333 million in actual dollars to buyout. Instead of wasting that cash on nothing, they could spend $2.85 million on Robidas next season.
I've always hated Heatley, but I wouldn't mind one bit if the Stars could get him straight up for Robidas. Looking at Capgeek Heatley has a hit of 7.5 through 13-14. He's a left shot but plays RW. He'd obviously get slotted in the top 6, which would be good because it would move Whitney down to the 3rd line most likely.

I think I would prefer him playing LW though. IF he lands here, the lines would look something like this:

Heatley-Benn-Eriksson
Ryder-Roy-Jagr
Whitney-Eakin-Morrow
Nystrom-Fidler-Garbutt/Wandell

That is a S-load of left shots. Jagr is a RW, so Ryder would have to play left for the time being. That's a nice top 6 though.


Last edited by TrillMike: 01-06-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Forgot Morrow
TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:16 PM
  #895
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
If we trade for Heatly we could let him play for the year and decide next year whether to buy him out, it's not a bad option especially if we can get some draft picks on top of trading a guy like Robidas.

Captain Awesome is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  #896
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Okay, so here's an issue. Right now in a lineup of:
Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Nystrom
Wendell-Fiddler-Garbutt

Ryder is the only right handed player.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
  #897
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If we trade for Heatly we could let him play for the year and decide next year whether to buy him out, it's not a bad option especially if we can get some draft picks on top of trading a guy like Robidas.
Yep. Right now the Stars have $16M in cap space. Assuming Benn gets a contract in the range of $5-6M, you'd have $10M in space for Heatley's 7.5. It's intriguing and weird to think that we could be close to the ceiling lol.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:29 PM
  #898
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,499
vCash: 500
zero interest in Heatly. The top 6 looks pretty set at this point. Ryder or Whitney on the third line doesnt make sense.

txomisc is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
  #899
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,033
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Yep. Right now the Stars have $16M in cap space. Assuming Benn gets a contract in the range of $5-6M, you'd have $10M in space for Heatley's 7.5. It's intriguing and weird to think that we could be close to the ceiling lol.
With dropping Robidas' contract, we'd stil have 6+M in cap space.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
  #900
piqued
Global Moderator
go
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,738
vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Okay, so here's an issue. Right now in a lineup of:
Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Nystrom
Wendell-Fiddler-Garbutt

Ryder is the only right handed player.
Whitney is a right shot.

piqued is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.