HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

God forbid Canada should think they're the best

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
I've posted this in another thread, but other countries, mainly usa hockey, should give canada hockey gratitude. Usa hockey was in shambles in the late 90s, early 00s. To turn it around, they almost took word for word hockey canadas development program and copied it. Usa hockey won't argue this fact. So the results you see now from US hockey is a direct result of this program. Other euro nations have also taken canadian coaches and directors to rebuild their programs, fact (look at swiss with krueger as one example). Yes it would be foolish to not allow any imports into the chl, but not realizing that the canadian development program is one of the major reasons some nations are doing well is a travesty.
I won't argue - copying from the best is a very good strategy in general that has been shown countless times through history (look at Rome vs. Greece ). What I was saying was that sending players to the CHL has only been a marginal factor in development of other nations. And as the discussion has largely been about foreign players in the CHL and it's effects, I made a comment about that.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
This have to be the dumbest thing i have read in a long while. It's fine that you like your country. Its cool that you want to deffend it. But that post

The fact that Canada have been dominant in the past has no revelance today since only players under 20 are allowed to participate in the tournament. Therefore, to deducate which nation is the best one at the moment, one should only look at the past 3 years. And if you would do that, you will see quite clear which nations are the strong ones at the moment.

By using your troll logic, Brazil would be the best football team in the world since they have 9 medals in the world cup. Are Brazil the best football team in the world? Hell no. What have they done to prove that since 2002? But just like Canada in ice hockey, Brazil have been the most dominant team through history. But they are not the best at the moment, nor have they been the best consistently.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
bruinsfan46

Canada still produces the most talent but in a short tournament anything can happen. Have to give the other teams credit for beating Canada. Before the recent five straight golds Canada went seven straight years not winning, they will bounce back. If Canada was getting blown out consistently I'd be worried, this year was the first year that happened.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Nocashstyle

A lot of insecurity in this thread

Old
01-06-2013, 01:08 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
No doubt our best are better than any other country's best. See Olympics

Old
01-06-2013, 01:12 PM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
A lot of insecurity in this thread
Hockey is Canada. Canada is hockey.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:16 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
Canada wins: it's fixed! No one cares about this tournament!
Canada loses: haha, you suck!

I agree though, we should totally be as humble as the rest of the world who keep telling us that they're better than us at everything, including hockey now!
Pretty much. It's pretty sad how every non-Canadian likes to team up on Canada. I guess that really shows you who they're worried about though.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Canada finished 7th in 1998. They recovered alright, didn't they? No Gold for 7 years... I wonder what the reaction on HF would be like back then.

Calm down, haters (and Canadian hockey fans)!

Judging how strong a nation is by a tournament makes no sense. You need a holistic approach... look at draft, tournaments, players in NHL, etc..

Old
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
BeerMe

My violin has gotten so tiny that I can't even find it anymore. However, rest assured that it's playing you a mournful, mournful tune.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Canada isn't the best. Until we get a gold medal back, we're favorites, but not THE team to beat.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:29 PM
jimmycarter

despite not winning a war since, god knows when, america is still the best at it.

canada is still the best at hockey, and we don't need a U20 tourny to determine that.

Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Canada isn't the best. Until we get a gold medal back, we're favorites, but not THE team to beat.
Yeah. Canada can go in the WJC as favorites all they want but they need to win the Gold back to prove it.

Olympics...we're medal favorites from the first game. No Gold, No Win for Canada. That's how good it gets for Team Canada.

I think our WJC teams need better coaches and playing ice time based on merit instead of seniority. We have too many talented guys but they are mishandled the past few years.

Old
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

such an inferiority complex

Old
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
such an inferiority complex
Wouldn't this be a superiority complex?

Old
01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
But but it's OUR game!

Old
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Canada finished 7th in 1998. They recovered alright, didn't they? No Gold for 7 years... I wonder what the reaction on HF would be like back then.

Calm down, haters (and Canadian hockey fans)!

Judging how strong a nation is by a tournament makes no sense. You need a holistic approach... look at draft, tournaments, players in NHL, etc..
Exactly. Judging by tournaments is kind of silly.

Canada doesn't win the IIHF WC (I don't even know the name of tournament) every year because most of Canada's best players are in the playoffs and yet they are always one of the favorites to win it.

Judging by drafts is a lot better. Canada consistently has the best players in the drafts.

RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby...are just some of the more recent drafts.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Kimmo Therapy

I just dont get it... your current team loses to the U.S., yet you continue to think you're the best? Maybe that's why god should forbid it.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:37 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Wow.

I understand the butt hurt this has cause many of my fellow Canadians - but we were outclassed in games we 'should' have won.

This thread (like many) turns into a peeing contest. Puff your chests up!

Give it a rest. Congrats to the US team. They deserved it, turned it up a notch when they needed too. Something the Canadian team needed to do, but did not. I think talent wise on par or better (minus the goalie) but it's on the coach to get his team prepped. I didn't see that in the Semi's.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
jughead42

I used to care about winning, but after years of watching the tournament I now simply appreciate it for the great hockey it produces. Props to the american's for pulling off the victory. I had a hunch they would do well, this age group won gold when it was at the u17 level so I knew it would be good. Prior to the tournament the yanks were paying 5.5 times your money on an online gambling website I frequent, and I seriously considered dropping 200 bucks on them because I knew they had a good defence. I'm annoyed that I didn't follow my gut, and I'm a bit disgusted such a quality team like Canada couldn't get a medal (I blame the coach to be honest, Steve Spott is not a winner) but I'm grateful for some great hockey. That's what the tournament is about, not about thumping your chest because you're from the winning geographic region.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
But but it's OUR game!
It is Canada's game. The only country where hockey is #1 (our official winter sport), we have the most hockey players of any country in the world and most NHLers, ice hockey was invented here, the first organized game was played here, we have more gold medals at the WJC than any other nation, 24 WC gold medals and 8 Olympic golds (including the last two). Hockey is broadcast here on a level like nowhere else in the world and is massively popular across the country.

So how isn't hockey Canada's game? I understand it's played at high levels internationally and am all for the globalization of the game. But to suggest Canada isn't the worlds biggest hockey market is ridiculous. That would be like saying American Football and baseball aren't American games.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
Everyone knows Canada is the greatest hockey nation out there. No need to feel insecure.
This. Seriously.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
The losing team is not the best. It is why games are played.

Stupid thread that cannot lead to anything good.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
The rest of the world has definitely caught up with Canada's junior-development.
That is what they were saying right before we went on a five year unbeaten streak.

Every country in the top 8 can get 20 players together and compete every year. There is no such thing as a sure thing anymore, that is true.

But in terms of depth, your comment isn't even remotely close. Our 200th best junior player could still be an NHLer. Other countries' 200 best junior player is playing in a beer league two years from now.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Canada has lost four WJC in a row. Two of them were on Canadian ice and the other one was extremely close to the Canadian border. They had their best available players this tournament and did not medal. Hockey Canada needs to make a few adjustments in the years ahead.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

******* chill*

Closed Thread