Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

U.S. National Team Thread (2013-)

Old
01-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

vCash: 500
U.S. National Team Thread (2013-)

I looked for the old thread, but I guess it got deleted.

The Camp Cupcake roster is being announced Sunday. Eddie Johnson, Alejandro Bedoya, Graham Zusi, Alfredo Morales, Bill Hamid and Josh Gatt all seem to be in so far.

There has been a hint of at least one 'surprise' by an ESPN writer on twitter. For a real surprise, there have been rumors of Charlie Davies making a return.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Any idea where Jozy may end up this summer?

Also, Zusi is training with West Ham.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Any idea where Jozy may end up this summer?

Also, Zusi is training with West Ham.
Fiorentina was heavily rumored, but now that ******* Rossi is going there, it looks unlikely that he'll go there, unless they sell Jovetic.

If I had to guess at this point, Jozy will end up back in the EPL or move to the Bundesliga. Earnie Stewart, AZ's director said that Barcelona, Bayern and Chelsea were scouting Jozy, but we all know he's not good enough, and if he did move to one of them, it would be Oguchi Onyewu V2.0.

As for Zusi, I think West Ham should seriously consider making this a trial instead of a training stint. He's ready for the next level.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:41 AM
KingLB

Morales getting called up is a joke.

That is all.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:28 AM
kingsboy11
Comeback King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
I looked for the old thread, but I guess it got deleted.

The Camp Cupcake roster is being announced Sunday. Eddie Johnson, Alejandro Bedoya, Graham Zusi, Alfredo Morales, Bill Hamid and Josh Gatt all seem to be in so far.

There has been a hint of at least one 'surprise' by an ESPN writer on twitter. For a real surprise, there have been rumors of Charlie Davies making a return.
If Gonzalez doesn't make the rosterKlinnsman should be fired.

Also where have you heard those rumors about Charlie because I would love it if he came back. Just imagine what the team would have done in the world cup in 2010

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsboy11 View Post
If Gonzalez doesn't make the rosterKlinnsman should be fired.

Also where have you heard those rumors about Charlie because I would love it if he came back. Just imagine what the team would have done in the world cup in 2010
First, a reporter from ESPN (McIntyre I think) mentioned that there will be at least one surprise on the roster and then apparently Davies tweeted about coming to the United States, which he later deleted. So it led to some on twitter thinking that Charlie could be one of the surprises. It's not really a 'rumor' per se, it's more speculation.

I just choose to forget about what could have been at the 2010 WC with Altidore and Davies up top instead of Altidore with Findley/Buddle (Gomez was OK). I've kind of just realized that ever since Charlie had his accident, Jozy has never been the same for the USMNT, the two of them had some real chemistry.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Camp cupcake roster.

Quote:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

DEFENDERS (9): Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), A.J. DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Connor Lade (New York Red Bulls), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes), Jeff Parke (Philadelphia Union)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (out of contract), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Edson Buddle (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Old
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
KingLB

Woulda preferred a few others like DeLeon and John over players that are never gonna play meaningful games for the US going forward. (IE DLG/Parke/Evans)

Old
01-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Yeah, Nick DeLeon not even getting a sniff to this camp is pretty saddening.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
chasespace

I am still relatively new to national teams. Is this basically a scouting camp to see who should be included with team that played last season?

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
kingsboy11
Comeback King

Really glad the Delagarza got the call, he was the most consistent Galaxy player throughout the entire year. I doubt he will make the roster against Costa Rica, but its good that he got a look from Klinnsman. Also glad the Wondo got called up too.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
I am still relatively new to national teams. Is this basically a scouting camp to see who should be included with team that played last season?
its the annual winter camp where players from MLS and European leagues with long winter breaks (Scandanavia) train and play usually 1-2 friendly matches. Most years it is used to find some depth players for the NT

The "regular" squad will be called in late January but certainly a handful of guys from this camp will be on that team as well and this training camp helps them get in shape for the qualifier against Honduras in February as MLS is in off season

Because Donovan is not in this squad, it is very likely he will not be available for the Honduras match in February.

I'm not a huge US fan, but for the most part of what I read, these camps are generally a waste of time, about 15 of these guys will never sniff the NT in a serious match. This year is slightly different though as the first 'Hex' qualifier is coming up in about a months time and the Gold Cup in 2013 will most likely be a USA "B" squad, so guys with little chances of making the qualifying squads have something to play for still in this camp I guess

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
Official: DSG Park near Denver to host USA-Costa Rica WCQ on March 22.
About time they announced this.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
We didn't get a game in LA all last year. I would hope one of these qualifiers would land here, but not counting on it. Was hopeful either this or the Jamaica match would be it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Apparently the game at Azteca is going to be played at 8:30 local time (10:30 EST). Interesting.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Apparently the game at Azteca is going to be played at 8:30 local time (10:30 EST). Interesting.
mexico always plays late, if given the choice.
but im sure its only 1h differnce (eastern time to mexicos city time)

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
KingLB

Quote:
About time they announced this.
Bleh don't even know if DSG will sell out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
mexico always plays late, if given the choice.
but im sure its only 1h differnce (eastern time to mexicos city time)
HUH last time the US played in Mexico it was at like 1 pm local time.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Bleh don't even know if DSG will sell out...

HUH last time the US played in Mexico it was at like 1 pm local time.
ya. they dont have a fixed schedule, there will be exceptions.... im guessing thats the only mexico game you saw aswell.
but a quick google search will probably show that is not rare that they play after 8 (eastern lots of times)

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:58 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
ya. they dont have a fixed schedule, there will be exceptions.... im guessing thats the only mexico game you saw aswell.
but a quick google search will probably show that is not rare that they play after 8 (eastern lots of times)
Thanks I've seen Mexico play plenty of times....They can choose to play whenever they want. And playing at the high of the heat makes it the most difficult on opponents. Problem is you can't sell out a 80k stadium at 1 pm vs Jamaica.....and probably not vs anyone but the US. Plus US is the only team that is even close to a threat to Mexico. (even then its at best a 20% chance)

Honduras is trying to do the same thing. (And I think they have in the past)

Old
01-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Looks like Timmy Chandler just got a concussion in today's match. With Dolo already having knee problems, Klinsmann must be looking for Beitashour to really have a great camp/game vs. Canada.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta
Sources have told me that Nurnberg RB Timothy Chandler has accepted a call up for the #USMNT World Cup qualifier on February 6 vs Honduras
Finally.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
awfulwaffle

Does anyone know what kind of lineup we are playing tonight against Canada? Is it going to be mainly the guys that are expected to partake in the World Cup?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Does anyone know what kind of lineup we are playing tonight against Canada? Is it going to be mainly the guys that are expected to partake in the World Cup?
After a little googling, it looks like its going to be pretty much all stateside players. Just google "expected lineups USA v Canada"-that got me a few decent results.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
No. This is the "camp cupcake" roster, all the players are from MLS and Scandinavia. There's still some talent here though. Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Eddie Johnson, Graham Zusi, Josh Gatt, Juan Agudelo, Mix Diskerud and Kyle Beckerman among others could all play a big role in the Hex.

As for the game, this is huge for Omar, if he plays well, he stays with the team when they go to Honduras and maybe gets into the starting XI with Boca still uncertain.

My guess on the XI:
S. Johnson
Morales - Gonzalez - Besler - Morrow
Beckerman
Zusi - Diskerud
Gatt - E. Johnson - Davis

Old
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
KingLB

Quote:
No. This is the "camp cupcake" roster, all the players are from MLS and Scandinavia. There's still some talent here though. Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Eddie Johnson, Graham Zusi, Josh Gatt, Juan Agudelo, Mix Diskerud and Kyle Beckerman among others could all play a big role in the Hex.

As for the game, this is huge for Omar, if he plays well, he stays with the team when they go to Honduras and maybe gets into the starting XI with Boca still uncertain.

My guess on the XI:
S. Johnson
Morales - Gonzalez - Besler - Morrow
Beckerman
Zusi - Diskerud
Gatt - E. Johnson - Davis
Pretty close....minus the 2 players I wanted to see (Gatt/Mix)...