HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

CBA Thread, Daniel Bryan Edition: The lockout is (tentatively) over!

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

vCash: 500
Ah but they WILL notice... owners ALWAYS notice when there's less money coming in. Always. That's the point. It's the only thing they DO notice most of the time.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Ah but they WILL notice... owners ALWAYS notice when there's less money coming in. Always. That's the point. It's the only thing they DO notice most of the time.
As long as you do come back, they won't care. They were just willing to give up half a season. Do you think a little less money coming in for a few more games is really going to matter?

Oh, and you are also assuming any noticeable number of people will do anything like you are suggesting. Not going to happen.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

You are being pessimistic. Believe in your fellow fan!

Old
01-06-2013, 01:52 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
NOW... you HFB HOSERS and ALL AROUND INTERNETS FRIENDS O MINE... MAKE THEM PAY!

DON'T Buy tickets for a while or jerseys. Send a message that we ain't a bunch of suckers who can be kicked around every 8-10 years with no consequence. Sure we'll all be back eventually but for right now... make 'em pay! Make January - March or April the worst revenue months the NHL has seen in years. Speak with your wallets because it's your only option, short of getting this BS at the end of every CBA.

And don't listen to that eternal optimist Ogre, who will encourage you to pretend like it never happened for fear of "punishing oneself". Whatever that means. Stand tall, sons of HFB!
I'm with you. As happy as I am, I'm still super bitter about this. Even if they don't notice, it will still make me happy.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
You are being pessimistic. Believe in your fellow fan!
anyone who does something like you suggest is going to bother themselves more than the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

If I don't buy any merchandise now, I'll buy twice as many next season.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
anyone who does something like you suggest is going to bother themselves more than the NHL.
Not if a few thousand fans in every market does it. You talk like it's going to be a total of 187 people not spending what they usually spend. I think it could easily be thousands per market, many thousands if you include demanding a big discount on Center Ice packages. We're not going to change the world doing this, just send a clear message and it WILL be noticed if enough people do it. Even for just a few months.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Not if a few thousand fans in every market does it. You talk like it's going to be a total of 187 people not spending what they usually spend. I think it could easily be thousands per market, tens of thousands if you include demanding a big discount on Center Ice packages. We're not going to change the world doing this, just send a clear message and it WILL be noticed if enough people do it. Even for just a few months.
and they just gave up half a season arguing over this deal. You are talking about a few drops in the bucket.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
and they just gave up half a season arguing over this deal. You are talking about a few drops in the bucket.
I'm talking about tens of millions of dollars all-told. Wouldn't even take a full season of boycotting to do that. Just a couple months probably.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Hophog

Quote:
NOW... you HFB HOSERS and ALL AROUND INTERNETS FRIENDS O MINE... MAKE THEM PAY!

DON'T Buy tickets for a while or jerseys. Send a message that we ain't a bunch of suckers who can be kicked around every 8-10 years with no consequence. Sure we'll all be back eventually but for right now... make 'em pay! Make January - March or April the worst revenue months the NHL has seen in years. Speak with your wallets because it's your only option, short of getting this BS at the end of every CBA.

And don't listen to that eternal optimist Ogre, who will encourage you to pretend like it never happened for fear of "punishing oneself". Whatever that means. Stand tall, sons of HFB!
I'm with you on this but too many short cited people will disagree. A fan union would be nice but I can see already that all is forgiven and fans are saying bring on the games. We are as clueless and as dimwitted as Betman predicted. I'll watch on TV and I'm happy to have hockey back but I won't be buying any tickets or anything with an NHL logo on it for a long while.

I was all for supporting the league after the last lockout in hopes of growing the sport and that lockout was much more necessary for the health of the game but this time I would really like to see a message sent.

It would give me much joy to see fans unite if just for only one night. Empty arenas around the country for the first game of the shortened season would send a significant message, I disagree that nobody would notice. I think it would be a huge embarrasment for the leagues and the players (if it's possible that they could be any dumber at this point) and would send the message that we are capable of holding them accountable. A united fan base would terrify both players and owners. I can dream, right?

Old
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
I'm talking about tens of millions of dollars all-told. Wouldn't even take a full season of boycotting to do that. Just a couple months probably.
there is zero chance that happens. None.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

We can't have a fan union, it will be too difficult to vote for a disclaimer of interest.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
I'm with you on this but too many short cited people will disagree. A fan union would be nice but I can see already that all is forgiven and fans are saying bring on the games. We are as clueless and as dimwitted as Betman predicted. I'll watch on TV and I'm happy to have hockey back but I won't be buying any tickets or anything with an NHL logo on it for a long while.

I was all for supporting the league after the last lockout in hopes of growing the sport and that lockout was much more necessary for the health of the game but this time I would really like to see a message sent.

It would give me much joy to see fans unite if just for only one night. Empty arenas around the country for the first game of the shortened season would send a significant message, I disagree that nobody would notice. I think it would be a huge embarrasment for the leagues and the players (if it's possible that they could be any dumber at this point) and would send the message that we are capable of holding them accountable. A united fan base would terrify both players and owners. I can dream, right?
I want to watch hockey. I really don't give a **** about anything else here. It's a form of entertainment that I enjoy. Depriving myself of it in hopes that enough other people do the same that the billionaires notice would be dimwitted.

If you can get every fan to unite, great. But its a dream that has no chance of ever happening.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
there is zero chance that happens. None.
You need to brush up on your math. We're talking about a league that pocketed $3.3 Billion in one season last year. Common, stop arguing with me. What I'm suggesting is not that difficult to accomplish, nor depriving anyone of hockey (especially Pittsburghers who can watch every game for free basically -- unlike poor saps like me who have to pay to watch them all), nor far-fetched.

Just sending a little message IMO, and it would be received.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
You need to brush up on your math. We're talking about a league that pocketed $3.3 Billion in one season last year. Common, stop arguing with me. What I'm suggesting is not that difficult to accomplish, nor depriving anyone of hockey (especially Pittsburghers who can watch every game for free basically -- unlike poor saps like me who have to pay to watch them all), nor far-fetched.

Just sending a little message IMO, and it would be received.
There is nothing the members of this board can do to stop the Penguins from selling out every game this season.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
I want to watch hockey. I really don't give a **** about anything else here. It's a form of entertainment that I enjoy. Depriving myself of it in hopes that enough other people do the same that the billionaires notice would be dimwitted.

If you can get every fan to unite, great. But its a dream that has no chance of ever happening.
Are you a Pirate fan?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
There is nothing the members of this board can do to stop the Penguins from selling out every game this season.
Debbie Downer.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Hophog

Quote:

I tend to agree with you in most on ice issues but I'm thankful that you seem to be the exception here and not the rule. They're going to feel the impact from this lock out for quite a while because they continue to alienate the fringe fans and those potential future fans go away for years not just months or days. I'll still contribute to the small amount of TV revenues they collect ( which could be bigger if they didn't have a lockout every decade) but I'm done spending any real money on the sport. If they can avoid a lockout after 10 years they'll earn my trust back

I'll spend my money on joining more leagues to actually play in.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Debbie Downer.
realist.

PS: I'm poor. I doubt I spend any money on the NHL this season. But not because of a boycott

Old
01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
I tend to agree with you in most on ice issues but I'm thankful that you seem to be the exception here and not the rule. They're going to feel the impact from this lock out for quite a while because they continue to alienate the fringe fans and those potential future fans go away for years not just months or days. I'll still contribute to the small amount of TV revenues they collect ( which could be bigger if they didn't have a lockout every decade) but I'm done spending any real money on the sport. If they can avoid a lockout after 10 years they'll earn my trust back

I'll spend my money on joining more leagues to actually play in.
oh they may notice it with the fringe fans. That has nothing to do with the people posting on this message board though. They won't need to be organized to boycott either. That's a very different situation.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I guess I've already been giving the Penguins money the whole time going to WBS games. I've actually spent more money on hockey this year than any other. Typically I just shell out for the latest video game.

I'm such a fool! Mario Lemieux will never know my pain!

Old
01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

This is not complicated guys.

Last I'll say of it but it doesn't have to be some super-organized public rally type thing here. This isn't Occupy NHL. Just fans all over the internet encouraging one another to have the cahones to make the statement (without even giving anything up as long as they have Root sports) a few times this season, by not paying for stuff they normally pay for. Either you get that or you don't. It's not about which forum they read it or anything like that. It's just peopel agreeing (informally, at random places but in large numbers) to send a message with their own wallet. That's it.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
This is not complicated guys.

Last I'll say of it but it doesn't have to be some super-organized public rally type thing here. Just fans all over the internet encouraging one another to have the cahones to make the statement (without even giving anything up really). Either you get that or you don't. It's not about which forum they read it or anything like that. It's just peopel agreeing (informally, at random places but in large numbers) to send a message with their own wallet. That's it.
ok, so I was (somewhat ) respectfully disagreeing with you but then you bring up cohones and I completely lost respect for your argument.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

YOU GOT NO CAHONES, ["BRO", BRA, BROHAM]!

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-06-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:

YOU GOT NO CAHONES, BRA!

wait, no. i don't care

Closed Thread