HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: The Neverending Story

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
gillis expected this, teams and gms want to make a impact so the fans come back, expect luongo's value to increase.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
gillis expected this, teams and gms want to make a impact so the fans come back, expect luongo's value to increase.
What better way to bring the fans back in Florida then to bring back one of their most popular players ever and someone that can help keep them in playoff contention.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I would love that, but Canucks fans can't be that lucky can they? Nah.
One of my best friends just broke the news me and I got up a few hours ago. He's been researching this like crazy from every source, but hasn't found any mention of anything to do with "penalizing" life time contracts already existing, but it limits contracts to 7 years (from UFA) and 8 years (if a team is signing a player already part of their team), and can't differ 30% year to year in terms of salary, or 50% overall. The time of cap circumventing contracts as we know them are gone, but there seems to be nothing he or I can find to hurt teams with a player signed to one.

Add that with the minor cap reduction, and I think the Canucks are ok, and Luongo's value hasn't plummeted like we were assured it would.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Roboholic

I really hope he doesn't end up on the leafs....this year.

He's a great goaltender but the Leafs are not in the position to be giving up assets. I'm hoping Vancouver holds on to him and the leafs can make a play for him in the summer, after the draft.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
I really hope he doesn't end up on the leafs....this year.

He's a great goaltender but the Leafs are not in the position to be giving up assets. I'm hoping Vancouver holds on to him and the leafs can make a play for him in the summer, after the draft.
Very thought out, and I appreciate something different as a line of thinking, but with the news of the new CBA, I can't say I think he will last this long. We can make a deal with Florida where we take a cap dump or two to buy out, if they would rather not do it themselves for financial reasons, and I think we'll all be happy. Same goes for any other "cap floor" teams.

His price might not have soared, but I feel a trade with a few other teams has become far more doable.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
John Shannon on Hockey Central - "Luongo to the Leafs is the worst kept secret in the NHL, just waiting for CBA Negotiations to be finalized to announce details of the trade"
Assuming that's true I just hope a non protected 1st round pick, Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly are not included.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Assuming that's true I just hope a non protected 1st round pick, Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly are not included.
This x 1000

Old
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Luongo becomes that much more tradeable now doesn't he? The Canucks can take a poisonous contract along with a high level prospect and just buy out the poison with one of their two mulligans this summer. I think he certainly becomes more tradeable. Although it wouldn't surprise me if he stays and is moved in the offseason, the Canucks aren't cap hurt right now.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
And if we take a salary dump, that Burke might not be hot on buying out, like say, Komisarek? We only need the one, and Lombardi wasn't signed by Burke, and as far as I can tell Connolly is still usable. That gives you some flexibility later if a buyout would need to be done next year...just bringing it to the table again.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Todds Chiropractory

Florida will want to bring fans back after their best season in a decade. They will pay Bjugstad. Call me crazy all you like but I'm calling a Luongo and Raymond for Bjugstad and Upshall swap.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
And if we take a salary dump, that Burke might not be hot on buying out, like say, Komisarek? We only need the one, and Lombardi wasn't signed by Burke, and as far as I can tell Connolly is still usable. That gives you some flexibility later if a buyout would need to be done next year...just bringing it to the table again.
Komisarek is signed until the end of the 2013-2014 season. So in my opinion he would be the salary cap dump for Vancouver to accept. Since the contracts of Lombardi and Connolly expire after the 2012-2013 season I wonder if Burke would waste the buyouts on them since they are going to be UFA's, unless he wants the Leafs cap to go down even more this season.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Florida will want to bring fans back after their best season in a decade. They will pay Bjugstad. Call me crazy all you like but I'm calling a Luongo and Raymond for Bjugstad and Upshall swap.
Would rather have Kopecky if we have to take salary back.

Or Versteeg! (Seriously we would be the most hated team by far with a Burrows-Kesler-Versteeg line)

Old
01-06-2013, 02:14 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
The Leafs are not in a position of needing to utilize any buyouts. They will not make a trade with the intent of moving cap at the cost of their own assets. Lombardi and Connolly will play themselves out of their current contracts; Komisarek could be bought out; but there is no point. The Leafs have breathing room and a few D injuries. No need to rid themselves of Komisarek.

Rielly and Gardiner are not going anywhere; I doubt the 1st moves either.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Bjugstad is not going anywhere. Vancouver needs to rid themselves of Luongo more than Florida needs to trade for him. Someone like Bjugstad will not be made available in a deal for Luongo. Its pretty clear how high Tallon is on Bjugstad. IF a deal were to be made with Florida, a prospect not named Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Gudbranson, or Markstrom will not be involved.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Komisarek is signed until the end of the 2013-2014 season. So in my opinion he would be the salary cap dump for Vancouver to accept. Since the contracts of Lombardi and Connolly expire after the 2012-2013 season I wonder if Burke would waste the buyouts on them since they are going to be UFA's, unless he wants the Leafs cap to go down even more this season.
Nah I disagree. More logical to offer them one of our 1 year boys like Lombo and buy out Komi. I don't see Vancouver being willing to take the two year hit but I bet they would swallow a one.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Thats why I thought, we take Komi, you keep the 1 year wonder centers, and if need be you have the ability to buy one or both out if the need arises (say getting a big free agent signing or deadline trade). Not a free service, mind you, but I'd be open to adding it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
The Leafs are not in a position of needing to utilize any buyouts. They will not make a trade with the intent of moving cap at the cost of their own assets. Lombardi and Connolly will play themselves out of their current contracts; Komisarek could be bought out; but there is no point. The Leafs have breathing room and a few D injuries. No need to rid themselves of Komisarek.

Rielly and Gardiner are not going anywhere; I doubt the 1st moves either.
There has to be someone that is ready to take Komisarek's place on your depth chart though.

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Liles-Gardiner
Franson-Holzer

And none of the other prospects are ready for the show? I mean Rielly might be a long shot, but Blacker, Finn, Stuart, Kostka, even Mark Fraser (not a prospect, but a minor leaguer used for spot duty last I checked)...none would make more of an impact then Komi?

And yes, sorry, I'm pushing for the first, not Rielly or Gardiner...but hey, if they're available now

Old
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Since Tallon got here he has said the Panthers biggest problem is at the cener position. Mainly that the Panthers are way to small down the middle why would he trade our biggest and best center prospect for a position that is not a glaring need?

(Saying he is our best center prospect assuming Hubs plays wing)

Old
01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
What better way to bring the fans back in Florida then to bring back one of their most popular players ever and someone that can help keep them in playoff contention.
You mean the goalie that is hated by the majority of the fanbase after his exit? Definitely not a fan favorite in Florida anymore.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Nah I disagree. More logical to offer them one of our 1 year boys like Lombo and buy out Komi. I don't see Vancouver being willing to take the two year hit but I bet they would swallow a one.
The way I see it, we're buying out Ballard, maybe, and no one else. So Komisarek, to be bought out, is fine by me, 1 year, 2 year, or otherwise, if it gets us a bigger (better) return.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
If that's true I can then see Gillis asking for Lupul since his contract expires at the end of the season. Now I hope Burke can re-sign him, however if not then he might consider either trading him for Luongo or in a seperate trade.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
You mean the goalie that is hated by the majority of the fanbase after his exit? Definitely not a fan favorite in Florida anymore.

Good to see that this thread hasn't lost a step at all. Always nice to have some Panthers fans weighing in too.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

Good to see that this thread hasn't lost a step at all. Always nice to have some Panthers fans weighing in too.
I'm just glad to argue with Van fans over Luongo rather than Lockout crap.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
Since Tallon got here he has said the Panthers biggest problem is at the cener position. Mainly that the Panthers are way to small down the middle why would he trade our biggest and best center prospect for a position that is not a glaring need?

(Saying he is our best center prospect assuming Hubs plays wing)
What about, and hear me out, Weiss or Flash or (gulp) Versteeg, Shore and your choice of a salary dump, I'd assume Upshall, Kopecky or Jovanovski?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
The way I see it, we're buying out Ballard, maybe, and no one else. So Komisarek, to be bought out, is fine by me, 1 year, 2 year, or otherwise, if it gets us a bigger (better) return.
I suspect you will only be able to buy out guys on your roster at the time the new CBA is ratified. Not trade for and then amnesty buy out. I hope I'm wrong because we could use our money to take on a buy out and gain additonal assets.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

Luongo is not popular here..at all lol. I also doubt management cares about popularity seeing as how they traded David Booooooooth who was indeed a fan favorite

Closed Thread