HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread Part II (NHL/NHLPA Approved CBA, MOU Signed)

Old
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
2 amnesty Really helps teams that have more than one bad contract. That actually hurts the Isles....
If they reduce the cap I have no problem with Amnesty buyouts

I am just happy their is a deal I was worried the Visnovsky would have been for nothing, at least now we get some games out of him(or could trade him at the deadline)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Now would be a nice time to make a slightly-better-than-depth deal for another D...maybe two.

Streit - MacDonald
Carkner - Visnovsky
???? - ????

Someone's gotta hold one of those two "????'s" down until Hammer gets back.
Would Greg Zanon fit the bill? Guy is a defensive defenseman on a Colorado team that has too many D-men.

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
mikeda1940

I'm not sure if Wang/Garth even want to do this, but I wonder if they can use one of the buyouts to buyout Yashin AGAIN so they can take advange of removing his salary from the Isles cap space. Other than that, I don't see who else they would buy out other than DiPietro (again, assuming freeing cap space is what the Isles want).

The Yashin contract is almost over anyway.

mikeda1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:12 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Would Greg Zanon fit the bill? Guy is a defensive defenseman on a Colorado team that has too many D-men.
According to Staples in Newsday, Hamonic is saying he's felt good for 10 days now and they expect him to be ready from the start of the season.

It sounds like the team was being careful not to rush Hamonic back early.

Streit - MacDonald
Hamonic - Visnovsky
Carkner- rookie Donovan/Ness.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:14 PM
IslesBeBack*

If Wang had enough of a pulse to buyout what was a 60 point player at that juncture, he can buyout the worst goaltender in the league. Period.

This is about moving forward and winning hockey games. Charles has to stop the ****ing ******** already. We don't deserve to be held captive to his lieing and *************.

We deserve a team that is well built and with some money infused. Wang needs to bite the bullet.

And, you know what, I bet he'll do it.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
IslesBeBack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
According to Staples in Newsday, Hamonic is saying he's felt good for 10 days now and they expect him to be ready from the start of the season.

It sounds like the team was being careful not to rush Hamonic back early.

Streit - MacDonald
Hamonic - Visnovsky
Carkner- rookie Donovan/Ness.
That's a solid damn defense, especially now that Streit isn't the only one putting up points from the back, now. I don't like having Ness at this level, he's small and a Hillen clone. We need to do better for that third pairing.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
That's a solid damn defense, especially now that Streit isn't the only one putting up points from the back, now. I don't like having Ness at this level, he's small and a Hillen clone. We need to do better for that third pairing.
Snow did make an offer to Salvador, before he re-signed with NJ.
I don't remember if it came before or after the Carkner signing.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

vCash: 50
Sounds like they have two schedules set up for 48 and 50 game seasons. 7 games vs each division plus 10 home and homes vs the rest of the conference=48 games.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
If Wang had enough of a pulse to buyout what was a 60 point player at that juncture, he can buyout the worst goaltender in the league. Period.

This is about moving forward and winning hockey games. Charles has to stop the ****ing ******** already. We don't deserve to be held captive to his lieing and *************.

We deserve a team that is well built and with some money infused. Wang needs to bite the bullet.

And, you know what, I bet he'll do it.
The difference between Yashin and Dipietro was Yashin still counted towards the cap(infact there was 2 seasons Yashins caphit were higher then what the Islanders were paying him). In the case of Ricky they will be paying him 1.5M a year for like 18 years and it will have no effect of them getting over the cap.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

I was fully intending to boycott the league once it came back. But the fact that doing so would result in collateral damage to the Isles by not supporting them, the one team that made a move during the lockout to show they care about the fans and the future of the franchise, doesn't sit right with me.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Snow did make an offer to Salvador, before he re-signed with NJ.
I don't remember if it came before or after the Carkner signing.
Carkner signed on Day 1 of FA, the Salvador offer was sometime around July 6th.

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288003336786030592

Have heard from a few players now. Here's Ryan Miller: "I hope that fans will forgive us for the role we played in this lockout."

01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Carkner signed on Day 1 of FA, the Salvador offer was sometime around July 6th.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288003336786030592

Have heard from a few players now. Here's Ryan Miller: "I hope that fans will forgive us for the role we played in this lockout."
No we don't forgive you Ryan, you greedy *******. Especially since YOU were one of the vocal ones complaining about every dollar. Asking for forgiveness proves you feel you did something wrong.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:59 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412928

The Underboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1317097

Want a good CBA breakdown? Head to that link. Its the Business of Hockey Board.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
- The cap floor in year one will be $44 million. The salary floor in Year 2 will be $44 million. How this impacts this particular club is obvious. I went to look what our salary is for this season but the pages are down. For some reason I think we are over the floor in terms of cap hit, but in terms of what Wang is paying it is below that floor. If any of you can verify that then please do.

- Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players' overall share in revenues, but not the team's salary cap. See the other thread about Rick DiPietro. What will Wang do (WWWD)?

- A player contract term limit for free agents will be seven years and eight years for a team signing its own player. Chuck must be sulking in a corner after this one was imposed. He can no longer break the Guinness record for "stupidest contract lengths and numbers ever." All he can do now is place. I know Charlie, you can write the most number of 8 year contracts ever. See, you can still be the number one ________. Feel free to fill in the blank.

- 10 year CBA with 8 year opt out. This is for everyone, not just us, but I like it. We finally get some peace from this crap happening again.

- All 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.
I like this one too after the way Edmonton owned the top selection so many times. But please note that tanking still results in a guaranteed 2 spot, and the odds of a #6 or better nailing it are still really dim. Most years that's still a great player for the worst team.

- Revenue sharing among teams will spread to $200 million. I think this impacts us the most up front though there are a few other points that will be important too, like buyouts if Wang grows up and uses them. Here is the big question: does Chuck pocket the revenue sharing cash now while continuing to game the system by keeping Rick up yet getting the insurance refund and continue to flagrantly break the cap floor rule? I had seen some talk earlier about revenue sharing being scrutinized so an owner like Wang can't just hire a bunch of gimps and use them to reach the floor while backhandedly getting insurance money in return thus making his actual payout less than the agreed upon "floor." Someone with access to the entire CBA document will need to verify if that is true now though.

Show us you actually care, Chuck, and play by the rules this time for the team's benefit.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 01-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

So are the Isles eligible for RS?

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Original Rob

Do bonuses and incentives still count toward the cap?

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Ziggy16

@aaronward_nhl: Told NHLPA plan is to get CBA deal in summary form into the hands of the membership in the next 24 hrs. #TSN

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL is proposing April 5 trade deadline (this season only) regardless of start date. But NHLPA and NHL still haven't agreed on critical dates. So we'll see ..

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:52 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
So are the Isles eligible for RS?
Early in the cba talks, the press reported the isles were one of twenty teams that would qualify for RS.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
Do bonuses and incentives still count toward the cap?
Based on the floor for this season plus the short transaction window, it's doubtful. For year 2-10, it would be great but nothing reported yet on this subject.

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://www2.tbo.com/news/opinion/201...nce-ar-599839/

Old
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
they better ****ing buy out The Rick. Disgrace it would even be a discussion.
That's really easy to say when you're not the one biting the bullet on paying him 1.5m for the next 16 years. It's also harder to sell a franchise if you're goi/"ng to be sticking someone else with that tab.

Now, you can point out that it's just Wang being cheap to not do it, but let's say this team is actually now ready to spend to near the cap limit, or at least close enough that his 4.5m could be an issue. If he stays on IR, insurance picks up the majority of his salary and we can spend over the cap by his cap hit. And when he's not on IR, he can be sent to the AHL for those brief times until he re-injures himself. So either way, if we are willing to spend, keeping him on the team would likely save the owner money, make it easier to sell the team, and have no negative impact on the team's ability to compete. And his salary is gone from the books entirely in 8 years, rather than 16.

And realistically, since in the short run at least, most likely we will continue to be more limited by actual pay than by cap hit, less actual pay going to him from the team, allows more to be spent on the rest of the team.

Of course, that all hinges on the team being willing to operate as if he is nothing more than an occasional AHL netminder. Which has not been the case in the past, and is the main reason so many fans want him gone. However, if the team is not willing to do that, then of course they wouldn't be willing to buy him out either.

The only issue that his cap hit has cost us in the past, is that we've used it to make the cap floor, rather than making the floor by paying players who will actually play. While that is certainly a negative, if the owner wants to continue doing that, then, again, they also wouldn't buy out DP.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
StumpNYI

I must admit, the lockout ending had not fully sunk in until I just saw this tweet. This pic gave me goosebumps...words can't describe my excitement.

https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/stat...96950636367875

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote