HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Buyouts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
  #1
patrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Buyouts

Will teams be able to apply amnesty on buyouts retroactively to older buyouts still on the cap?

For instance Yashin's cap hit to the Islanders.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
  #2
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
Will teams be able to apply amnesty on buyouts retroactively to older buyouts still on the cap?

For instance Yashin's cap hit to the Islanders.
I believe it is only going forward. For the Isles I expect DiPietro a goner this summer and moved to the front office.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
  #3
patrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I believe it is only going forward. For the Isles I expect DiPietro a goner this summer and moved to the front office.
If he's not gone I'm done with the NHL until Wang sells.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
  #4
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I believe it is only going forward. For the Isles I expect DiPietro a goner this summer and moved to the front office.
Not to be a dick - but I think there is a 0% chance that Wang amnesty buy-outs RDP. He'd be "on the hook" for something like $30M, while receiving NO credit for that against the salary cap.

If he's going to buy out RDP, I think it would be before this season starts (assuming that's possible). He'd save about $15M in actual cash payments to RDP, AND get the credit for those payments against the cap.

I can't imagine a situation why a cap floor team would utilize an amnesty buy-out.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
  #5
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Not to be a dick - but I think there is a 0% chance that Wang amnesty buy-outs RDP. He'd be "on the hook" for something like $30M, while receiving NO credit for that against the salary cap.

If he's going to buy out RDP, I think it would be before this season starts (assuming that's possible). He'd save about $15M in actual cash payments to RDP, AND get the credit for those payments against the cap.

I can't imagine a situation why a cap floor team would utilize an amnesty buy-out.
Islanders can make a non-amnesty buyout before season.

Amnesty buyouts (2 per team) would only be available before 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
  #6
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Islanders can make a non-amnesty buyout before season.
Is that going to be available prior to this season?

I didn't think it was as there's already been a buyout period this past offseason.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:18 PM
  #7
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Islanders can make a non-amnesty buyout before season.

Amnesty buyouts (2 per team) would only be available before 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.
1) The 2013-14 is next season (aka - starting October 2013).
2) Do you think Wang would make an amnesty buyout? He'd owe RDP $30M paid through 2030 and not get to count ANY of it against the Islander's cap. I can't believe that happens.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
  #8
patrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Wang also has a new building to fill in a couple of years and may realize that it would be smart to eat that money now so he can spend it in Brooklyn.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:26 AM
  #9
sewellda
Registered User
 
sewellda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
The question I want to know is whether or not a team that trades a player and chooses to eat a large portion of that player's salary can then use 1 of their 2 amnesty buyouts on the portion they retained.

sewellda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
  #10
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewellda View Post
The question I want to know is whether or not a team that trades a player and chooses to eat a large portion of that player's salary can then use 1 of their 2 amnesty buyouts on the portion they retained.
I'd be shocked if that would be allowed. You can't buyout a player that is on another team, or buyout a portion of a contract.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.