The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
there was an espn article about it, what he was saying is that it didn't really hurt but his arm was stiff enough that he couldn't throw more than 15 yards. in which case it was the right decision to go with webb
He can't throw over 15 yards with a healthy arm anyways.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
forthewild

Remember when everyone was calling for joe Web......

I think this team will be fine, I trust in frazer

Old
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
there was an espn article about it, what he was saying is that it didn't really hurt but his arm was stiff enough that he couldn't throw more than 15 yards. in which case it was the right decision to go with webb
That wouldn't have changed the Vikings gameplan at all.

Honestly, considering the reps Webb DIDN'T get this year, he is still better than Ponder. I'll take Webb 12 times out of 10 over Ponder. Ponder had 5 WORSE games as far as far as QBR goes.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post

Honestly, considering the reps Webb DIDN'T get this year, he is still better than Ponder. I'll take Webb 12 times out of 10 over Ponder. Ponder had 5 WORSE games as far as far as QBR goes.
and you'd be wrong all 12 of those times.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
and you'd be wrong all 12 of those times.
Says the definite source. We'll never know. Webb is more talented than Ponder and has legitimate arm strength. Give him something more than a surprise start and you might actually see some results. There is absolutely no way Ponder is the unquestioned starter come next year.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
It's still a bruise. Throw some Mineral Ice on it and get out there.
if he said he couldn't throw, I believe him

Old
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Says the definite source. We'll never know. Webb is more talented than Ponder and has legitimate arm strength. Give him something more than a surprise start and you might actually see some results. There is absolutely no way Ponder is the unquestioned starter come next year.
while i am, myself, certain that Webb isn't the answer, i wholeheartedly agree that Ponder shouldn't be the unquestioned starter.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

The worst part of this game was that it made people think Christian Steele is good.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
The worst part of this game was that it made people think Christian Steele is good.
+1000. Universe has never seen so much truth.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:

This might be the most preposterous statement ever uttered.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:52 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

I still don't think Ponder is very good but Webb is definitely not better. There's a reason the Vikings didn't start him or even put him in when Ponder was struggling. He's not a good QB.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Webb is a glorified Tim Tebow without the leadership skills and half the passing skills. He was drafted as a WIDE RECEIVER out of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. That's like saying Antwan Randell-El would be a good QB in the NFL or Armanti Edwards. He's not a QB in the NFL. Period. Ponder isn't that great of a QB but he has at least the pocket presence and smarts in the pocket to play QB. Webb got himself sacked a few times. He might be a decent wildcat option but he's not a QB.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
1. Tampa 2 is dated and needs to go. I think Vikes could/should go 3-4. But with Fraizer as coach, that won't happen.
We don't have the personal to go 3-4 yet. Maybe in a few years. But the Tampa 2 isn't dated just not implemented right as we didn't have the players to cover. We actually did better this year than last even though we didn't have as many sacks.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like Wild48's take.

Whichever defensive scheme they go to, they need to improve their personnel. They spent most of the year getting burned on the corner and then got torched up the middle. Just awful.

I've seen enough of Ponder to think we should get some really good pieces at other positions to help him out, but he's not going to ever be a gun slinger.

But honestly Musgrave schemed and the offense as a whole played pretty well the last 4-6 games considering the talent limitations.

WR, then filling a lot of holes on defense at corner and linebacker, then DL then OL. And if there's a potential sleeper QB after the 3rd round, take a flyer.

They def need a vet QB, maybe go after Smith, maybe sign a guy, but they need someone to push Ponder and step in when he's Pondering. There were 2-3 games they could have turned the reins over but clearly Webb should never be allowed to play QB again (and since he can't catch shouldn't be on the team).

Old
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Yep. Drop Webb, keep or drop MBT as the 3rd stringer ( I really don't care who our 3rd QB is), sign a vet backup. Sage would have at least made that game close and wouldn't have looked so lost. Your backup should be competent or at least experienced and the 3rd stringer is where you can have a project QB.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:19 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I still think Musgrave cost us the game (okay, to be fair, I don't really follow Football).

The first drive were the Vikings got three points, they executed well because they ran the ball. Once they strayed from the game plan (tack on the Williams offsides, the Brinkley 12 man blunder, and the ******* who fumbled that punt), I feel those were the dominos that fell that lead to the defeat. Obviously, the Packers are a more talented team and Webb isn't good by any stretch of the imagination (especially with no playing time for the whole year), but Musgrave had them on their heels until they stopped running the ball and then Williams lined up wrong which would've turned a punt into the Packers driving down and getting on the scoreboard.

And the other reason I think Musgrave doesn't fit here, how they don't design more plays for Rudolph (maybe it's the scheme but then why draft a catching tight end in the 2nd round?) is absolutely mind blowing. To me, after Percy went down, Wright and Rudolph were the only two reliable people to throw too (other than AP).

I'm sure somebody who follows Football more closely can point out, how I'm wrong on my analysis.

Either way, I'm happy the NHL is back so I can start watching that again. Ha.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think they went into this season hoping to scheme a lot of two-TE plays but then John Carlson was a major bust.

I also think it's bad to judge an OC's performance based on a single game where you have a crappy wide receiver playing QB.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
brainfreeze

Been thinking the same thing about picking up another qb that falls to the 3rd/4th rounds. The kid from Arkansas (Wilson?) was supposed to be drafted early but had an off year for many reasons, Petrinogate, injuries. Looked really good last year.

Would like to see them try to find another Pat Williams type DT along with everything else they need, solid veteran qb to push Ponder, fast playmaking linebacker, more secondary help and of course help at receiver

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Musgrave did pretty well during those last 4 games. I think he deserves another year.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

What about trading for a quarter back like Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel or something like that

Old
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd be interested to know what the 49'ers would want for Alex Smith.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd be interested to know what the 49'ers would want for Alex Smith.
My guess is a 2nd rounder, but we might have to outbid somebody like Arizona.

Does Harvin for Smith+ make any sense at all (if Harvin really is done here)?

Does SF consider Harvin for Smith + 1st rounder?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If we can't re-sign Harvin, I'd assume the best we could do is a 2nd, but that might even be pushing it. Brandon Marshall only pulled in two thirds, and I don't think Harvin brings back as much.

So assuming Harvin might only bring back a 3rd or a 3rd and a later pick, Harvin for Smith straight up might not be terrible.

But Smith would not want to be traded just to be a backup, so would he then be a PITA? AZ seems like a better fit for him.

I guess for us a "veteran" backup like Cassel, McCoy, etc might be the way to go. Fully assuming that Ponder is "the guy" for next year.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
That is an uber bruise.

https://twitter.com/SGrossStrib/stat...w_p=tweetembed

Old
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If we can't re-sign Harvin, I'd assume the best we could do is a 2nd, but that might even be pushing it. Brandon Marshall only pulled in two thirds, and I don't think Harvin brings back as much.

So assuming Harvin might only bring back a 3rd or a 3rd and a later pick, Harvin for Smith straight up might not be terrible.

But Smith would not want to be traded just to be a backup, so would he then be a PITA? AZ seems like a better fit for him.

I guess for us a "veteran" backup like Cassel, McCoy, etc might be the way to go. Fully assuming that Ponder is "the guy" for next year.
I reckon Miami had the choice between two 3rd rounders or one 2nd. Still, you're probably right. I think we'd be lucky to get maybe a 2nd or a 3rd and a fringe starter for him.

Closed Thread