HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Nedved

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Depth wins Cups. This is a fact proven by every team that has won the Cup in the last several years. You cannot win a Stanley Cup unless you have top six players on your third line and a defenceman who might be able to play 20+ minutes playing less because he's on the third pairing. While I don't like the Toronto method of stacking up on defensive prospects because their maturity level is going to be in question (the Rangers have incredible young D but their maturity often stifles), Montreal is going nowhere without Subban.

I would prefer a veteran Subban when Beaulieu and Tinordi come in, especially since Markov is now and for the rest of his career cannot be relied upon to play 82 games.
that's a stretch, especially if Montreal gets a nice return for pk but regardless, having subban, as a veteran, would be nice if he can mature.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Markov is 34 and Subban is only 23 and imo better than Markov already. Unless Markov puts up a decent amount of points, quarterbacks the PP like he used to and plays solid defence, there is no way I want to see Subban traded.

Players like Subban are the kind of young players you build around...not develop them into proven players only to trade them away.

I hold my reservations about pk..and he is not nearly as intelligent as markov. although learning from markov, would improve subban's game in a way we have yet to witness.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
that's a stretch, especially if Montreal gets a nice return for pk but regardless, having subban, as a veteran, would be nice if he can mature.
I don't believe that. I hope he gets traded for something big. He's gonna be a cancer for Galchenyuk. I don't like his attitude, but I know his talent is undeniable.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
He's gonna be a cancer for Galchenyuk.
This is easily the most ridiculous thing I have read in 2013 so far.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
I don't believe that. I hope he gets traded for something big. He's gonna be a cancer for Galchenyuk. I don't like his attitude, but I know his talent is undeniable.
You can't be serious...

Old
01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
This is Bergevins first real test. If we lose pk it will be a major blow and sign of things to come.
Not really a test. He will get signed at around 4-5 mil for 1-3 years.

The first big test will be handling the Gomez situation. How much of a chance does he get and do you move a center to wing, do you let him become a distraction if things go bad.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fail-post of the year?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Pierre Gauthier, is that you?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

The first big test will be handling the Gomez situation. How much of a chance does he get and do you move a center to wing, do you let him become a distraction if things go bad.
Gomez has not once been a distraction for the team on the ice. Fans don't really seem to get this. The locker room loves Gomez and never says anything bad about him. It's we as fans who do nothing but jeer him and want him gone.

Gomez won't be a distraction. He'll probably play on the fourth line center and Therrien will move him to the top six if DD or Plekanec have an injury or suspension. He'll be treated as depth.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Gomez has not once been a distraction for the team on the ice. Fans don't really seem to get this. The locker room loves Gomez and never says anything bad about him. It's we as fans who do nothing but jeer him and want him gone.

Gomez won't be a distraction. He'll probably play on the fourth line center and Therrien will move him to the top six if DD or Plekanec have an injury or suspension. He'll be treated as depth.
Yeah but his buddies can create a rift if he is barely playing or in the press box for some young guy or Armstrong/White etc.

I see him as a poor fit for the 4th line, IMHO he needs to play top 6 and move Eller to wing. Maybe Eller-Plekanec-Gionta Bourque-Gomez-Armstrong/Palushaj(a true "bounce back" line!). Then use Prust-White/Noke-Moen

Old
01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
coolasprICE

my cousin who 'knows people' says PK wants to play in Boston

Old
01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Interesting to see what he is offered with the new cap at $64M next season.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

This is Bergevin's first year, and he's a rookie. The smart approach is to stay calm and transition well. Gomez isn't a problem unless we need cap, and it doesn't seem like we'll need some this year. He also only has an extra year left. People are fast to jump on buying out Gomez, heck, they've been hoping for this for at least 2 years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomez play out whatever's left of his contract here.
He seems like a great guy to have around seeing how nobody ever said a bad word about him, so if he settles into a lower role, he might just stick around.
Of course, him being bought out wouldn't surprise me either.

Bergevin needs to sign PK asap, and for a good price.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

He wasn't signed before the lockout, we could have lost him for nothing. The Gomez situation is pretty clear cut, he gets bought out, no question about it.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
He wasn't signed before the lockout, we could have lost him for nothing. The Gomez situation is pretty clear cut, he gets bought out, no question about it.
How can Bergevin lose PK for nothing. Draft picks. Right to match. This is not a sleep-loser for MB.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
How could we have lost him for nothing? He is a RFA.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Beendair Donedat

He's the Rock that our team will be built upon for years. Successful teams build from the back out and with Price in net, PK anchoring a deep deep blueline, and guys like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk up front the future is bright. Subban is elite and has 7 years before he hits 30!! Sign him Bergevin.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Interesting to see what he is offered with the new cap at $64M next season.
Surely they are doing something about the tagging rules, at least for the transitional period. Otherwise, we're already capped out against the "real" $60M cap for next year, and technically, under the old rules, wouldn't be allowed to sign anybody? Has to be waived during the transition.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Beendair Donedat

- The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
How could we have lost him for nothing? He is a RFA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
How can Bergevin lose PK for nothing. Draft picks. Right to match. This is not a sleep-loser for MB.
THIS SEASON he is a RFA, if the season was lost we would have come back when he was a UFA.

We came within a week or two of losing the whole season and PK could have picked almost any team in the league. Yes that was a dumb move by Bergevin but luckily we didn't pay for it.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
THIS SEASON he is a RFA, if the season was lost we would have come back when he was a UFA.

We came within a week or two of losing the whole season and PK could have picked almost any team in the league. Yes that was a dumb move by Bergevin but luckily we didn't pay for it.
You are reaching here. EVERYONE would have been a UFA in the doomsday scenario of decertification.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I'd say that trading him for a good package would be a step backward for the coming season but if we consiider the Habs' depth in D prospects it might turn out well in the long run, especially if the Habs could draft Seth Jones.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You are reaching here. EVERYONE would have been a UFA in the doomsday scenario of decertification.
I didn't say anything about decertification. Before the negotiations started I doubt the owners thought it was an option.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
I didn't say anything about decertification. Before the negotiations started I doubt the owners thought it was an option.
So why would he have become a UFA? Not sure I understand your scenario that would have led to this.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'd say that trading him for a good package would be a step backward for the coming season but if we consiider the Habs' depth in D prospects it might turn out well in the long run, especially if the Habs could draft Seth Jones.
That depends on the return.

Closed Thread