HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

THE OFFICIAL BUYOUT THREAD: Bourque or Kaberle?

View Poll Results: Who do you buy out?
Gomez 72 67.29%
Bourque 16 14.95%
Kaberle 64 59.81%
Markov 2 1.87%
other 0 0%
I only buy out 1 player 8 7.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Actualy Kaberle had a wa better season than Bourque.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Excellent point.
dont think so.. they are all at least another full season away from the NHL.. Beaulieu is probably the closer of the bunch but still has a long way to go, would get ate alive in Montreal with his softness and braicramps.. Tinordi is still struggling with the AHL speed, looks like a poors man Hall Gill right now, no need to say he needs to spend alot of time in the minors, get confortable with the AHL speed, then we will talk.. Eliis has improved greatly lately but I highly doubt he is ready next season either and even if he is, Ellis is going to be a bottom pairing defenseman, so no need to rush a guy like that..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Then why the fuss over Bourque? Term?

I get the disappointment in Bourque, but at 3.3 million, I really don't see the brew-ha-ha with him nor do I see the same sense of urgency in buying him out as I do with someone like Gomez. He gets paid 800K more than Prust on similar term. Nothing back breaking. When you consider the winger depth of the habs, he isn't taking anyone else's roster spot either.

I'd like to see Kaberle bought out for the simple fact that we have too many softer puck moving D on the backend. Removing him will open up a spot for either one of Tinordi, Beaulieu or Ellis (if ready, though they may not be) or to bring in someone to complement the D core a lot better than what it is now.
mostly because i don't see much use with either player. While Moen and Prust are what i consider to be top players, for 3d/4th line roles, i don't consider that bourque is top player for a 2d/3d line, nor is Kabs for D. So given that there should be better options to replace Kabs/Bourque, they would fall into "buy out". But at the end of the day, either player can prove us wrong if they get a chance, more so Bourque, since Kabs is getting old.

Gomez is the only sure thing when it comes to buying out a player.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
just get rid of gomez and kaberle, end of story

bourque can still be servicable. (and could help us tank!)

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think everybody can agree that Gomez is our first buyout. Do the Habs buyout Kaberle or Bourque with the second?

Bourque's contract extends 2 years beyond Kaberle's but he fills (at least theoretically) the greater need--big, scoring winger.

Kaberle's contract is up at the end of next season but we do have an awful lot of d-men hanging around.

Do the Habs keep them both or cut one free?

My vote goes to Bourque who has really shown very little during his short tenure with the Habs. He's one of those guys who seem to wear out his welcome with every team he's on--even when scoring 25-30 goals a season. Without the goal-scoring, he's toast.
Way, way too early to tell yet. A lot can change in a 4-5 months. Markov could blow a knee out again, Kaberle could turn it around, Plekanec could be traded for a high pick, somebody high priced like Gionta could demand a trade.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

As much as Bourque annoyed the hell out of me last season, I really want to see how he will preform with a new bench boss. Maybe MT will somehow have a knack at getting Bourque motivated, and could bring out the best in him. It "could" happen. But if he shows us the same kind of return as he did last season, then I have no problem in showing him the door.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
As much as Bourque annoyed the hell out of me last season, I really want to see how he will preform with a new bench boss. Maybe MT will somehow have a knack at getting Bourque motivated, and could bring out the best in him. It "could" happen. But if he shows us the same kind of return as he did last season, then I have no problem in showing him the door.
It's also good to remember he's a natural right winger who was expected to play on a new team and the wrong wing all season.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
OneSharpMarble

Keep em both, gomez buyout is the only one we need.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Let's just call the compliance buyout provision Rule G.

Gainey/Gauthier/Gomez, take your pick it was written to be the eraser for these men's work.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Nedved

I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of kaberle. great trading piece at deadline and I have a gut feeling he is going to look good back there with a limited role.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:06 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of kaberle. great trading piece at deadline and I have a gut feeling he is going to look good back there with a limited role.
He reminds people of Patrice Brisebois with his bad defensive mistakes at times, but 22 points in 43 games at a -6 is great numbers for a third pairing d-man.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Neither at this point? Let them play out this season and see how they do. Who knows one or both might have a good enough season to be able to trade him.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Bobby G

Neither. Thank god the lockout is over so I can go back to hating Hab fans...

Who would we replace them with? What is the point? This forum would buyout the entire team if they could

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Beendair Donedat

Nope just Gomez and Kaberle.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
PlayMistyForMe

Gomez gone under the new NHL Compliance Buyout?

The new NHL agreement allows each team to buyout 2 players from their roster. The buyout is more expensive (2/3 of the remaining value of the contract spread over two years, I believe) but the big plus is that the salary of the player bought out will not count against the cap that year.

So Gomez is gone for sure under this buyout scheme. Unfortunately, this new NHL Compliance Buyout only takes affect in 2013/2014 season, so we are stuck with Gomez for 48 games this year.

Based on their performance this year, players like Bourque or Kaberle might be candidates for that second player buyout under the NHL Compliance Buyout rule.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

edit

nm, got moved

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Neither. Thank god the lockout is over so I can go back to hating Hab fans...

Who would we replace them with? What is the point? This forum would buyout the entire team if they could
Well it would be during summer 2013, who knows exactly what the situation will be by then? Players progress and regress.

The point is to free up cap room for 2013-14 and in Bourque's case, it would be to escape a potentially bad contract for an aging player in the final 3 years of it.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Well it would be during summer 2013, who knows exactly what the situation will be by then? Players progress and regress.

The point is to free up cap room for 2013-14 and in Bourque's case, it would be to escape a potentially bad contract for an aging player in the final 3 years of it.
Yup, if Bourque plays as bad this year for us as he did in his half-season for us last year, sure, he's considered unmovable junk and a good option to burn his multiple years as the 2nd compliance buyout. If he's as good as he has usually been in his career, however, he's probably reasonable value for his contract and if not a total keeper, at least an asset with movable value, and somebody else becomes the 2nd buyout.

Of course, somewhere in the middle is probably going to be a wishy-washy 10-15 goal pace where we're just not sure if he's the guy to buy out or not, and we all end up speculating all May/June on it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
lou4gehrig

Wow, that's close for me.

For buying out Kaberle
- We have alot of D already and want to make room for Tinordi or Beaulieu.
- He makes more money
- Less depth at wing to backfill
- Might be tradeable if playing well

For buying out Borque
- Longer contract and more total money
- Had a brutal season and too streaky for my liking
- Untradeable if he continues to play so poorly
- Would open up a top 6 spot for younger player (Galchenyuck, Gallagher, Eller whoever is ready or hot). Assuming Plek, Desharnais, Cole, MaxPac, Gionta are locked in now.

To me it would be Bourque. I think he'd be useful, but it's too tempting just to dump him and be rid of him forever. I don't think we'll be winning a cup until we start playing the young guys alot. He'd eat up valuable ice time from young guys who we need to develop.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

We traded Kostitsyn and never managed to replace him. Why would we want to get rid of Bourque? When we have absolutely nobody ready to get his ice time except checkers?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
We traded Kostitsyn and never managed to replace him. Why would we want to get rid of Bourque? When we have absolutely nobody ready to get his ice time except checkers?
There are always semi-decent band-aid scrap-heap UFAs available. Maybe more so with a descending salary cap. Putting the ball on the right number in that roulette game could get us a comparable/better player than Bourque for about 1/3rd the cost. Could. Just have to look at the options as they start to coalesce. See how Bourque plays. See how the market might be shaping up, what other teams' cap situations are, what players are going to free agency, etc. It's all up in the air. But obviously at this unimportant point in time, this premature vantage point, Bourque's name is going to be one which comes up as a compliance buyout candidate. His contract vs. his horrid performance last year ensures that. As meaningless as that is. As long as nobody forgets all that remains to be seen, it's fair game to throw Bourque's name out there for now. He earned the nomination.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

Quote:
If Bourque puts up another inconsistent 0.40 PPG year, what do you do? Pray the last 3 years of his deal, when he's in his 30's, are better? Chances are they won't be.

We now have the ability to have a get out of jail free card on Bourque. I think that's all we are saying.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
If Bourque puts up another inconsistent 0.40 PPG year, what do you do? Pray the last 3 years of his deal, when he's in his 30's, are better? Chances are they won't be.

We now have the ability to have a get out of jail free card on Bourque. I think that's all we are saying.
If he ends up such a drag to the team that we absolutely need to get rid of him, we can just buy him back the good old way.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

Quote:
If he ends up such a drag to the team that we absolutely need to get rid of him, we can just buy him back the good old way.
Apparently this compliance buyout is even available after 2013-14, which is good.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:

And to be honest, Kostitsyn spent alot of time on the third line. And when he was playing well we were still only an 7th or 8th seed.

I'd rather just play a young guy in the spot and let them develop instead of band-aid.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote