HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout is Over.....2013 Preseason Talk!

Old
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
And neck beards to cover up the double-chins while players play themselves back into shape.
too true.

But that also leads to an issue with the decision on Grigorenko. How much can we really get out of a week long training camp with many players that have been inactive for months. It's basically going to be a week of getting guys up to game speed. Hardly the best set up to evaluate how ready Grigs is.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
too true.

But that also leads to an issue with the decision on Grigorenko. How much can we really get out of a week long training camp with many players that have been inactive for months. It's basically going to be a week of getting guys up to game speed. Hardly the best set up to evaluate how ready Grigs is.
I would think it's a fair assumption that he'll get atleast the nine game tryout?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I would think it's a fair assumption that he'll get atleast the nine game tryout?
No idea. I wouldn't mind seeing it but there are variables like the junior trade deadline that might impact that.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I subscribe to the "let him figure it out this year so he's ready next year" theory. Him putting up 2 PPG in the Q is redundant to his development at this point
i watched him in the Q this year, and I didn't think, "hey, this guy isn't getting anything from playing in this league, he belongs in the pros"...

He is very much "still developing"...

rushing things could be an awesome mistake...

I'm not set one way or the other... he had a very solid WJC. I'd like to see how he plays in camp with adults.

don't box yourself in a potentially bad idea

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
CrankyJay

Really looking forward to watching some hockey this year with my 2 month old daughter. Never too young to start 'em as fans.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Really looking forward to watching some hockey this year with my 2 month old daughter. Never too young to start 'em as fans.
We have one due April 28. I already joked with my wife that with the playoffs starting May 6, there should be no concern that the Sabres will be playing during the first few weeks of the baby's life.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

My friend works at the stadium and just got put back on the schedule for the 17th. Our first game maybe? MAYBE!?

So so happy.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
We have one due April 28. I already joked with my wife that with the playoffs starting May 6, there should be no concern that the Sabres will be playing during the first few weeks of the baby's life.
Do you live in the Buffalo area? Are you going to one of the hospitals where the Sabres are doing the birth thing?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
My friend works at the stadium and just got put back on the schedule for the 17th. Our first game maybe? MAYBE!?

So so happy.
I really hope the schedule stays the same for the revised one due out later this week . I'm in Ottawa for school (I live closer to the border (Niagara Falls-Tonawanda) and the Sabres would be in Ottawa January 15th for the Sens' home opener.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
CrankyJay

Heh, I totally forgot Ott was a Sabre. Looking forward to seeing him now.

Also, I guess the Derek Roy move and the lockout worked out well for Dallas with his surgery.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Before I fully re-engage in Sabres talk, I just want you guys to know that I deserve basically all of the credit for the lockout ending. A few days ago I started playing NHL 13 again for the first time since a couple weeks after it came out. What happened then? Oh, I don't know, just a marathon of mediated negotiations and a CBA agreement.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I really hope the schedule stays the same for the revised one due out later this week . I'm in Ottawa for school (I live closer to the border (Niagara Falls-Tonawanda) and the Sabres would be in Ottawa January 15th for the Sens' home opener.
She tells me that it is for the Sabres home opener but there really isn't any way to prove it. Just so damn excited at this point.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Do you live in the Buffalo area? Are you going to one of the hospitals where the Sabres are doing the birth thing?
Nope, we live outside Bodymore.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

So I turn on WGR and Kevin Sylvester is going off on a tirade. Hockey is back!

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Well the counter argument would be that this is going to be a crazy year with a condensed schedule and the team might be a bit of a mess. Being a shortened season it's kind of a mulligan anyways- Better to keep him out of that and finish his development in juniors. Next year looks to be a big improvement with him and Armia coming in.
FACT: You learn nothing about the NHL playing in the Q

FACT: He will learn several things by playing in the NHL.

With that being said, Armia's a$$$$$ should be here to and Girg's makes the 2014 team, no questions asked.

girgs-grigs-armia

Regardless of what I have accomplished in life, if Ruff denies me the opportunity to watch this line for the next 1-10yrs, I will have no choice but to abandon ship. I refuse to sit bye and watch him squander, 3 of the best prospects I have seen in my Sabres life. No worries Marcus, your still number 1 dawg. Seriously, my life would not be as great if I wasnt able to watch Gretzky, Kurri and Messier. Lemiuex, Jagr and who gives a..... And nothing pisses me off more than a coach/team not playing their STAR players on the same line. Crosby, Malkin comes to mind. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin. And so on. I would expect a superstar line to contribute a minimum of 2 goals nightly. With three lines left to provide atleast 1 more. If you lose your goalie/def most likely had a poor night. Plus, if you cannot get 1 goal from 3 lines, 9 players, I suggest that team would have severe issues at coach, GM and Ownership.

Dont do this to me RUFF!!

Last edited by joshjull: 01-06-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: going around profanity filter
The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
So I turn on WGR and Kevin Sylvester is going off on a tirade. Hockey is back!
'bout what?

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
'bout what?
I didn't catch the beginning of it, but it was a debate with Matthew Coller about Tyler Ennis. I believe Coller expressed worry about the center position, particularly relying on Ennis as a top center. Coller questioned whether Ennis could be relied upon given his lack of experience there and the fact he won't be able to keep up his "lucky" shooting percentage from the end of last year. Sylvester swooped in as Ennis' knight in shining armor and shouted Coller down. It actually became crazy heated at one point. They both made solid points during the shouting, but it was amusing because Sylvester was really towing the company line for the Sabres.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I was watching a clip from TSN with Bob McKenzie. He said GMs don't even know if that will be an option,

Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I was watching a clip from TSN with Bob McKenzie. He said GMs don't even know if that will be an option,
Yea, I'd believe it considering this is the middle of the season.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:08 PM
The Washer

Bobby Ryan

Yup, Im starting it.

Cant stop dreaming of a Foligno-Ennis-Ryan line. So I am going outside the box to get him.We toss in McCabe.

- def improved his stock to that of a first round prospect
- trade before the brewing love affair begins.
- we retain all our current D prospects
- value at all time high

So something like

Stafford/Pomm
McCabe
Adam
1st, 2nd 2014

Like I said, outside the box, but I am a stock guy, so I am always thinking buy low sell high.

Last edited by The Washer: 01-06-2013 at 04:21 PM.
The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:12 PM
sonnEbunny

First of all I would like to say that I'm extremely happy that hockey is finally back. I'm pumped to see how our prospects develop within the next two to three years. With that being said I feel that they have no choice but to give grigs at least a tryout this year. He has showed improvements defensively and continued to dominate offensively. His passing and vision is among the best out of any prospect on any team in the nhl. I would seriously love to see him play along side of either vanek or pominville, maybe both. I see no reason why they wouldn't give him a few games in the nhl. Worst case scenario he isn't ready and they send him back but it leaves him with a better idea of what it is like to play in the nhl and where he needs to improve. If he's not ready he's darn close so a tryout will NOT hurt his development.

sonnEbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
Yup, Im starting it.

Cant stop dreaming of a Foligno-Ennis-Ryan line. So I am going outside the box to get him.We toss in McCabe.

- def improved his stock to that of a first round prospect
- trade before the brewing love affair begins.
- we retain all our current D prospects
- value at all time high

So something like

Stafford/Pomm
McCabe
Adam
1st, 2nd 2014

Like I said, way outside the box, but I am a stock guy, so I am always thinking buy low sell high.
Alright, now we've really started.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:16 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Yea, I'd believe it considering this is the middle of the season.
Yep.

Combine that with some junior teams having lost a top player or two for the World juniors, then they go to a NHL training camp. Adding a 9 game tryout on top of that would be quite a hit for those teams.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
FACT: You learn nothing about the NHL playing in the Q
yea, i'm sure he'll learn nothing about the NHL while playing for Patrick Roy....

FACT :

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:34 PM
joshjull

With the way things are setting up it will be awfully tough for anyone to crack the roster that wasn't already in their plans.

You're looking at just ONE week of training camp. I can't imagine there will be preseason games or if there are it will be maybe 1. You will have the majority of work likely focused on getting in game shape. I can't imagine there will be a ton of game like situations for players to make their mark in that week.