HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Depth Chart Discussion

Old
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Keep forgetting that we have Paranteau on our team now. Im really excited to see what he and Duchene do together.

Also excited to see how Landeskog plays after his amazing year last year.

Wonder if we'll have any 20 goal scorers in the 48 game season, would mean a 30-35 goal pace over 82 games. Only players I see potentially doing that would be Landeskog and Duchene.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Landeskog should be with Stastny if we ever break up his pairing with ROR, but we probably won't.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
cgf

I love Landy but i'd rather he play with Factor or Staz than Dutchy. Both of those guys are better at setting up and utilizing their wingers while Dutchy's always been best with creative guys who can set him up, that's why I want PAP and Downie on his side.

Then you take Staz and Jones and stick them with McGinn or landy, while the other joins Radar and Duke on the other top line.

That way all 3 lines can carry our team at different times, Gabriel/McGinn-Staz-Jones as the the most established top line. PAP-Dutchy-Downie as the most offensively explosive line, set up to get Matt to flourish. And Gabe/McG-O'Reilly-Duke as the tough to play against leadership line.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
cgf

BTW anyone else feel like Varly just going to have an awesome year with the shorter season? Especially coming in confident and in form from his KHL time. It's crazy to expect a whole season at this point I think that with the compressed schedule he could maintain that post ASG level for the whole thing.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
BTW anyone else feel like Varly just going to have an awesome year with the shorter season? Especially coming in confident and in form from his KHL time. It's crazy to expect a whole season at this point I think that with the compressed schedule he could maintain that post ASG level for the whole thing.
His groin will fall off in the first period of the first game and then he'll go into a depression where the only thing he will utter is "Filip Forsberg".

At the same time O'Reilly will be so hooked on borscht that he'll never leave Russia no matter what Avs pay him.

We're screwed.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
His groin will fall off in the first period of the first game and then he'll go into a depression where the only thing he will utter is "Filip Forsberg".

At the same time O'Reilly will be so hooked on borscht that he'll never leave Russia no matter what Avs pay him.

We're screwed.
Stop being so ridiculous, Varly isn't coming back from Russia.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Stop being so ridiculous, Varly isn't coming back from Russia.
Varlamov and O'Reilly are just the first part of the Avs European Expansion.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Passing, shooting, offensive vision, skill... pretty much everywhere aside from forechecking and physicality.
True, but his play at the Spangler Cup was just like O'Reilly's.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Varlamov and O'Reilly are just the first part of the Avs European Expansion.
That's what I get for not thinking it through.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Avs71

MHH had a discussion about lines and whether the Avs should go with chemistry, or if they should stack the talent.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a stacking of the talent set up. Especially if O'Reilly isn't back in time for the first game.

Landeskog-Stastny-Downie
McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Hejduk-______-Jones
Mcleod-Mitchell-Kobasew

Stastny essentially replaces O'Reilly, and really wouldn't surprise me if that line was even better than with ROR on it. Stastny and Landeskog together just seems too good to be true. McGinn will give PAP and Duchene a shooting option, as well as some toughness. The third line will easily receive the least amount of minutes, but their is still enough skill that it won't a burden on the team.

Hejda-Johnson
Zanon-O'Byrne
Wilson-O'Brien

Give Hejda and Johnson another chance together. If they show the same chemistry they had last season, then switch it up. But that's as close as this team can get to a top pairing, at least on paper. If Johnson is quicker this season, then he could make up for the lack of speed between the two. Zanon-O'Byrne still gives Sacco that "shutdown pair." Wilson-O'Brien is a pretty versatile pair, that could do really well against 3rd and 4th lines.

Varly should be looking at ~40 games.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
MHH had a discussion about lines and whether the Avs should go with chemistry, or if they should stack the talent.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a stacking of the talent set up. Especially if O'Reilly isn't back in time for the first game.

Landeskog-Stastny-Downie
McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Hejduk-______-Jones
Mcleod-Mitchell-Kobasew

Stastny essentially replaces O'Reilly, and really wouldn't surprise me if that line was even better than with ROR on it. Stastny and Landeskog together just seems too good to be true. McGinn will give PAP and Duchene a shooting option, as well as some toughness. The third line will easily receive the least amount of minutes, but their is still enough skill that it won't a burden on the team.

Hejda-Johnson
Zanon-O'Byrne
Wilson-O'Brien

Give Hejda and Johnson another chance together. If they show the same chemistry they had last season, then switch it up. But that's as close as this team can get to a top pairing, at least on paper. If Johnson is quicker this season, then he could make up for the lack of speed between the two. Zanon-O'Byrne still gives Sacco that "shutdown pair." Wilson-O'Brien is a pretty versatile pair, that could do really well against 3rd and 4th lines.

Varly should be looking at ~40 games.
Like I said in the main board thread about goalie playing time, I really doubt that.

In a 48 game season that will have a very compressed schedule, there will be many back to back games.

If his previous season wasn't an indicator, Varly had durability issues and should not be counted on to play that many games.

Hell he is just coming off an injury playing in the KHL.

Edit: 25-28 is more realistic, 30 being the cap, imo. Take it for what you will.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Like I said in the main board thread about goalie playing time, I really doubt that.

In a 48 game season that will have a very compressed schedule, there will be many back to back games.

If his previous season wasn't an indicator, Varly had durability issues and should not be counted on to play that many games.

Hell he is just coming off an injury playing in the KHL.

Edit: 25-28 is more realistic, 30 being the cap, imo. Take it for what you will.
Theres no way Sacco essentially splits the time between Giggy and Varly, which at 25 games would be a split.

Varly plays 30 at least. And if he's hot like he was in the KHL, he probably plays 35.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Theres no way Sacco essentially splits the time between Giggy and Varly, which at 25 games would be a split.

Varly plays 30 at least. And if he's hot like he was in the KHL, he probably plays 35.
Couldn't agree more, I'd say 31 +/- 2 games

RumpleSnipeSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

You guys aren't being realistic.

Before last year his most games played (in an 82 game schedule) was 27.

Last year he played in 53 games (64% give or take). Say he stays on course for that percentage, still only 31 games.

Add in all the back to back games in a compressed schedule.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:38 PM
AvsFanRCN

Quote:

Last year he played in 53 games (64% give or take). Say he stays on course for that percentage, still only 31 games.

I completely agree, having a strong backup goalie this year is gonna be a huge factor all across the league

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:38 PM
avsman

If Hejduk does look himself I'd be ok with trying a pure offensive first line, it worked with Mueller for a stint
Hejduk-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

If this doesn't work out then they should try some pretty major changes
Landeskog-Stastny-Jones
Downie-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-O'Reilly-Hejduk/Olver
McLeod/Olver-Mitchell/Olver-Kobasew/Hejduk/Olver

And as far as the D goes, Wilson looked pretty great pre-concussion, so I think he should be in the top 4.
Hejda/Wilson-EJ
Hejda/Wilson-O'Byrne
Zanon-O'Brien/Hunwick

I would be ok with Hejda being given another shot at being EJs partner atleast until we can acquire a true top pairing defender.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

The only reason he only played 27 before last year was because of injuries.. Varly has been relatively healthy for the better part of 2 years now. KHL injury wasn't all that serious.

If Varly is hot, Sacco will ride him for as long as possible and play him as much as possible. Back to Back are really not a huge issue. Varly will start the first one, Giggy the 2nd one, then Varly the next game.

2/3 games played will go to Varly, so long as he's playing well.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I said it right when we signed Parenteau and I still feel the same way, I want to see Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau together. O'Reilly missing a couple of days of training camp might be a good thing because Sacco will have to try some different line combinations instead of just going with Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie.

I think a line of Hejduk-Duchene-Parenteau would get physically dominated and they would be a disaster in the defensive zone.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
I completely agree, having a strong backup goalie this year is gonna be a huge factor all across the league
This ,

Idk how many games Varly will be in the net , but our goalie situation is not a concern. We have Gigučre , and i think we are all comfortable with him in the net. It's gonna a short season with a lot of back to back games , the playoffs will be there very quickly and it will be very important to have Varly focus , ready to play and most important not exhausted , come playoff time .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I said it right when we signed Parenteau and I still feel the same way, I want to see Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau together. O'Reilly missing a couple of days of training camp might be a good thing because Sacco will have to try some different line combinations instead of just going with Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie.

I think a line of Hejduk-Duchene-Parenteau would get physically dominated and they would be a disaster in the defensive zone.
EXACTLY...

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau

McGinn - Stastny - Jones

Downie - O'Reilly - Hejduk

is my pick for our top 9...

If Hejduk falters then : Sgarbossa - O'Reilly - Downie is something I wouldn't mind seeing. If/when Boss gets a shot it should be next to our best defensive center. Just the same way Landeskog started out...

I'm sure late in games up by one goal we might see Landeskog & O'Reilly, and maybe on the penalty kill but i'd like to see the above lines rolled for most of the games.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
This ,

Idk how many games Varly will be in the net , but our goalie situation is not a concern. We have Gigučre , and i think we are all comfortable with him in the net. It's gonna a short season with a lot of back to back games , the playoffs will be there very quickly and it will be very important to have Varly focus , ready to play and most important not exhausted , come playoff time .
My only concern regarding our goalie situation is Giguere in shootouts. He is really poor at it and all these extra points will be very important especially in a short season like this one.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
My only concern regarding our goalie situation is Giguere in shootouts. He is really poor at it and all these extra points will be very important especially in a short season like this one.
Oh yes Gigučre is awful in shootouts no one will deny it, well maybe not awful, but you know what i mean . I hope he had time or he will find the time to work on this aspect of his game. Other than that Gigučre will give a lot of good games, with all the experience he has , i'm pretty sure he got a lot of gas left in the tank.

But hey, not all our games will be decided in shootouts and the one that are , we'll just have to hope Varly is in the net .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Oh yes Gigučre is awful in shootouts no one will deny it, well maybe not awful, but you know what i mean . I hope he had time or he will find the time to work on this aspect of his game. Other than that Gigučre will give a lot of good games, with all the experience he has , i'm pretty sure he got a lot of gas left in the tank.

But hey, not all our games will be decided in shootouts and the one that are , we'll just have to hope Varly is in the net .
Don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy we have him. What he brings to this team (on and off the ice) is so important when considering the average age the team. I'm just saying that I wish he would be a bit better in shootouts because of the length of the season.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Yipperfan
NWOBHM forever \m/

I don't really know where to put this but it's from Dater's Avs preview for this season:

Lack of size, toughness. The book the last few seasons on the Avs has been: Put bodies on their small forwards in front of the net and they won't get to the puck. The Avs acquired a nice power forward in P.A. Parenteau, but they still have more finesse than brawn up front.

and this is our beat writer... Does he know something about hockey after more than 15 yrs covering the team?

Read more: Colorado Avalanche pluses and minuses entering 2012-13 season - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...#ixzz2HsHpW400
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Sooo... where do we stand after we're 3-players down?

McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Olver - Duchene - PAP
Kobasew - Mitchell - Hejduk
McLeod - Sgarbossa - Bordeleau

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - ROB
Zanon - Hunwick
SOB - Barrie

Quite scary really.

For the lineup I'd swap Sgarbossa, Olver and McGinn around. But still sad to see where we've fallen 5 games into the season.

Barrie and Elliott in, SOB traded and Hunwick scratched?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote