HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Spectrefire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Okay. But, Connauton isn't making the team either.
Depends on if Ballard is with the team to start camp or not. Canucks may choose to buy him out. Then a left-handed slot opens up on that third pairing.

I think Corrado should absolutely get an invite to the team. He won't make it, considering he'd be better off continuing his development in the OHL, but I think it'd be a nice reward a show of encouragement from management for his efforts at the WJC camp.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Depends on if Ballard is with the team to start camp or not. Canucks may choose to buy him out. Then a left-handed slot opens up on that third pairing.

I think Corrado should absolutely get an invite to the team. He won't make it, considering he'd be better off continuing his development in the OHL, but I think it'd be a nice reward a show of encouragement from management for his efforts at the WJC camp.
The amnesty buyouts are for the end of this season (and you could use one of them in the 2014 off-season).
No one is being bought out before the season starts.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
gecko002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post

I think that show of encouragement can be delivered by Gillis in way of a phone call, not an invite. If Corrado may be traded by the deadline to a team like, say, Belleville I'd rather not ruin any trade opportunities Sudbury may have by calling him up.
I can't see Belleville or any other OHL contender making a run at getting Corrado if he may be called up to VAN. I think the quicker the Canucks make a decision on him and announce it, the better.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Asked the same thing already in the armchair GM thread:

Since the Canucks showed interest in Jochen Hecht prior to the lockout, you guys think he's still worth considering?

In his brief stint with Adler Mannheim of the German DEL he put up some pretty decent numbers: 12 points (4 / 8) in 5 games played. Worth mentioning that he played on a line with Jason Pominville and Marcel Goc, but still.

Is he an option?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko002 View Post
I think that show of encouragement can be delivered by Gillis in way of a phone call, not an invite. If Corrado may be traded by the deadline to a team like, say, Belleville I'd rather not ruin any trade opportunities Sudbury may have by calling him up.
I can't see Belleville or any other OHL contender making a run at getting Corrado if he may be called up to VAN. I think the quicker the Canucks make a decision on him and announce it, the better.
Agreed, although if the OHL moves their trade deadline, then bring him along for the experience.

Were this a normal camp, where you get the rookies in first, and then you graduate to main camp and work on stuff, and it's very much an educational experience, then yeah I'd be all into calling him up. But it's not. This is going to be a short-term get-everyone-on-the-same-page-and-let's-go thing, and I don't see the benefit in him coming up unless there's a realistic likelihood that he makes the team, which I don't think there necessarily is.

I guess, from the Canucks point of view, you could argue that it's better to bring him up so that he can play with the team if someone breaks their hip at camp or something.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
The amnesty buyouts are for the end of this season (and you could use one of them in the 2014 off-season).
No one is being bought out before the season starts.
Canucks could still choose to buy him out... It would cost them money though. Would be funny.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:29 PM
gecko002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Agreed, although if the OHL moves their trade deadline, then bring him along for the experience.

Were this a normal camp, where you get the rookies in first, and then you graduate to main camp and work on stuff, and it's very much an educational experience, then yeah I'd be all into calling him up. But it's not. This is going to be a short-term get-everyone-on-the-same-page-and-let's-go thing, and I don't see the benefit in him coming up unless there's a realistic likelihood that he makes the team, which I don't think there necessarily is.

I guess, from the Canucks point of view, you could argue that it's better to bring him up so that he can play with the team if someone breaks their hip at camp or something.
Agree 100%

Old
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

So what's the word on guys like the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, etc?

I know the Sedins didn't play during the lockout, will they be rusty? Or did they need this time off?

Edler was cleared to play, so what have him and Burrows been up to the past while?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

vCash: 1815
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian(Gives Kassian the best possible chance to develop offensively, while also adding physicality)
Booth-Schroeder-Burrows(flanking a smaller rookie with gritty experienced wingers)
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen(Great third line wingers, gives us a chance to see if Malhotra can get back to pre-eye injury form)
Weise-Lapierre-Raymond(Everyone else)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev(all self explanatory)

Luongo
Schneider(Luongo's the best goalie in franchise history, half a series doesn't change that he will be our official starter until he's traded).

Old
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
silvercanuck

The Canucks would be stupid to take Corrado out of the NHL just to put him in a shortened camp. He's not making the team. The Canucks need to settle on a roster and hit the ground running. This is going to be an extremely short and competitive season and some oddball team is probably going to win it all. The only player that the Canucks should invite that probably doesn't have a shot of making the team this year is McNally and that's only because he doesn't have a home.

Heck, under the circumstances I don't see the point of inviting Schroeder or Connauton to camp. Neither seem to belong in the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
The Canucks would be stupid to take Corrado out of the NHL just to put him in a shortened camp. He's not making the team. The Canucks need to settle on a roster and hit the ground running. This is going to be an extremely short and competitive season and some oddball team is probably going to win it all. The only player that the Canucks should invite that probably doesn't have a shot of making the team this year is McNally and that's only because he doesn't have a home.

Heck, under the circumstances I don't see the point of inviting Schroeder or Connauton to camp. Neither seem to belong in the NHL.
Unless the Canucks get immediate help at centre ice, they pretty much HAVE to use Schroeder this year. Kesler could be another month or more on LTIR. Without Schroeder, Manny Malhotra is our 2nd line centre.

As far as Corrado goes, attending a professional camp can only help his long term development. If he ends up being the 6th or 7th best defenseman at camp (which is unlikely), why would you send him back to a talent thin OHL team that is in last place in its division? I agree that with a shortened camp, they need to cut down to the final roster very quickly, but you have to give your prospects a bit of a look. At the very least, you need enough players to scrimmage.

Finally, the Canucks can't afford to waste this season. The Sedins and Burrows are getting older, Kesler has more miles on his body than the average 28 year old and with Edler's back problems, a short season may be their best shot.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Pinizzotto not coming for the camp? Surprising.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Pinizzotto not coming for the camp? Surprising.
Injured.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Unless the Canucks get immediate help at centre ice, they pretty much HAVE to use Schroeder this year. Kesler could be another month or more on LTIR. Without Schroeder, Manny Malhotra is our 2nd line centre.

As far as Corrado goes, attending a professional camp can only help his long term development. If he ends up being the 6th or 7th best defenseman at camp (which is unlikely), why would you send him back to a talent thin OHL team that is in last place in its division? I agree that with a shortened camp, they need to cut down to the final roster very quickly, but you have to give your prospects a bit of a look. At the very least, you need enough players to scrimmage.

Finally, the Canucks can't afford to waste this season. The Sedins and Burrows are getting older, Kesler has more miles on his body than the average 28 year old and with Edler's back problems, a short season may be their best shot.
Because he is being mentioned in rumors to go to a contender in the OHL & their Trade Deadline day is January 10th as of now. If we bring him Sudbary might not be able to trade him & if he doesn't make the Canucks (likely scenario) then not only does he not make the NHL but he is stuck on the Wolves instead of being traded to a Contender.

I think the best thing for Corrado's development is to leave him be, let him get traded to a contender & hope he plays for the Mem Cup.... that is unless Steve Branch makes changes to the CHL deadline due to NHL roster selections.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian(Gives Kassian the best possible chance to develop offensively, while also adding physicality)
Booth-Schroeder-Burrows(flanking a smaller rookie with gritty experienced wingers)
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen(Great third line wingers, gives us a chance to see if Malhotra can get back to pre-eye injury form)
Weise-Lapierre-Raymond(Everyone else)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev(all self explanatory)

Luongo
Schneider(Luongo's the best goalie in franchise history, half a series doesn't change that he will be our official starter until he's traded).
This is a camp roster, right? It looks good.

During the season, Kassian and Schroeder will be in the minors. I think the forward lines will look like this;

Sedins Burrows
Booth Higgins Raymond
Malhotra Lapierre Hansen
Volpatti Ebbet Wiese

Old
01-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

During the season, Kassian and Schroeder will be in the minors. I think the forward lines will look like this;

Sedins Burrows
Booth Higgins Raymond
Malhotra Lapierre Hansen
Volpatti Ebbet Wiese
There is no way they send down Schroeder and Kassian if that means we end up with Volpatti - Ebbett - Weise on the 4th line. Schroeder has been better than Ebbett anyway.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Weise-Malhotra-Raymond

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

This is what I want to see to start the season.

Wouldn't mind a winger being in the Lu trade to replace Kassian though. Kulimen?

Old
01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post

Wouldn't mind a winger being in the Lu trade to replace Kassian though. Kulimen?
That'd be ok, I'd prefer a sign and trade in the Luo deal for McArthur, he'd be a great playmaker for Kesler and Booth. (Oh god we might have a forward other than Henrik who knows how to pass! )

Old
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:

I agree on Corrado, he's not going to make the team and being in the CHL isn't an eligible call up so you may as well leave him down there and let him get traded to a contender.

I Disagree on Schroeder and Connauton though, for pretty much the same reason. Because they can be called up at a moments notice, it makes perfect sense to have your first injury replacement call ups in camp.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

I know Kesler is recovering but I just don't see Schroeder making the NHL. Obviously he'll be given an opportunity at camp. Corrado has no chance of making it this year so why mess with his development? He's only got 3 months left if he doesn't get traded to memorial cup contender. He can go the the AHL at the end of the season.

As far as the Canucks not wasting the season I agree and that's exactly why they shouldn't waste a spot with Corrado right now. They need to bring this team together ASAP.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
I know Kesler is recovering but I just don't see Schroeder making the NHL. Obviously he'll be given an opportunity at camp. Corrado has no chance of making it this year so why mess with his development? He's only got 3 months left if he doesn't get traded to memorial cup contender. He can go the the AHL at the end of the season.

As far as the Canucks not wasting the season I agree and that's exactly why they shouldn't waste a spot with Corrado right now. They need to bring this team together ASAP.
If the OHL trading deadline remains Jan 10th, it could affect the ability of Sudbury to trade him, but they could still do a conditional trade dependent upon the number of games he plays in the OHL. I agree, there is very little chance he makes the Canucks team, but any time you can have your own coaches and training staff work with a young player you have to consider it. Also, if he stays with Sudbury, he likely becomes available to the Chicago Wolves earlier.

With a shortened camp there won't be any preseason games. So if you are going to run scrimmages you need at least 30 - 40 players. You can do this with "camp fodder" free agents, but it's better to have a look at players who are in your system.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
This is one year I won't mind sucking. Good draft pick, minimal suffering, reload next year for a full 82 with all hands on deck.

Obviously I want to win, but the alternative isn't as bad as usual.
This core doesn't have the endurance to go 82 games + 16 wins.

It'll be interesting to see how well they do with a a half season. Usually by the half-way mark the team heats up ...

Old
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
I know the Sedins didn't play during the lockout, will they be rusty? Or did they need this time off?
They've been working on their cycling so they should be in good shape.

Old
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Sedins Burrows
Booth Higgins Raymond
Malhotra Lapierre Hansen
Volpatti Ebbet Wiese
whoo hoo!! hello Seth Jones/Mackinnan

Volpatti does't get a free pass IMO. He has to fight for a spot just like anyone. He hasn't play in over a year and he already is barely NHL caliber. Maholtra on wing with Ebbett 4th line centre??

Last edited by jigsaw99: 01-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Pseudonymous*

this team is NOT looking good with the injury to kesler. ugh

this team better make some moves/bring in some help

Closed Thread