Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Half Season Disadvantage for Flames?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Half Season Disadvantage for Flames?

If the entire season was locked out we would have the maximum chance at the first overall pick and a high probability of a top five pick. I so hopefully the flames don't play like a bottom five team in the short season if course but essentially we have just lost our greatest chance of Mackinnon without having to rebuild or tank

Thoughts?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 50
At the end of the day I'll take 50 games of hockey over a top-5 pick, which would by no means was even guaranteed if the season was cancelled.

In fact when I was playing around with that draft order simulation someone designed we were getting placed 7-14 just as often as 1-5. Clicked it 20 times and the Flames never got the 1st pick, only got the 2nd once.

So to actually say that we lost our greatest chance at MacKinnon is a bit of a myth.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Sean Monahan
Moewny

I would rather watch Sven play in a Flames uniform and win the Calder myself

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Flames92

No its not a disadvantage, I hate what the oilers are doing by tanking every year and would hate to see my team follow their footsteps.

That said, the flames have one of the more veteran teams in the league and a shortened season could probably give us a better chance at the playoffs.

Fatigue is going to be a small issue which will allow us to play kiprusoff as much as we want and I think this break was good on our veterans in recovering from any possible injuries.

So as an early prediction, I think the Flames will make the playoffs (barring any big injuries) which is all i've wanted the past 3 years.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
If they start the first two months of this shortened season like they normally do, a top five pick is highly possible.

I guess we will have to wait and see the impact of a new coaching staff.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Bottom line is, if we fall on our faces flat out of the gate, Feaster is going to pull the trigger I think. Should be a very interesting 50 games.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If they start the first two months of this shortened season like they normally do, a top five pick is highly possible.

I guess we will have to wait and see the impact of a new coaching staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Bottom line is, if we fall on our faces flat out of the gate, Feaster is going to pull the trigger I think. Should be a very interesting 50 games.
You guys nailed it I think. We don't have time for our usual stumble out the gate, especially from Iggy. If we're not going to make the playoffs I want to see some movement from Feaster one way or another.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I think the Flames are going to have a hard time. New players, new coaches, usually takes some time for everyone to adjust. And forget about MacKinnon, give me some Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Noori

The trade deadline might be around April 5th, which might be helpful in that you might have a better idea of how close your are to the playoffs (as compared to February). If the Flames refuse to sell (or worse, give up assets for rentals) and miss the playoffs, I will flip my lid. It's not really an advantage or disadvantage though, this is still a bubble team on the wrong side of eight.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

I'm not expecting much in terms of success. Iginla's is slow starter, and with an extra four months off, it's definitely going to take him a while to get comfortable. That plus a lot of new faces, new coach, new system means it should take a while for everyone to get on the same page.

The only thing I really want is a clear cut season. If they have a slow start, let them remain that way for the rest of season. No late season surges that make a fool of Feaster for the third time. Same thing if they start well.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
No its not a disadvantage, I hate what the oilers are doing by tanking every year and would hate to see my team follow their footsteps.

That said, the flames have one of the more veteran teams in the league and a shortened season could probably give us a better chance at the playoffs.

Fatigue is going to be a small issue which will allow us to play kiprusoff as much as we want and I think this break was good on our veterans in recovering from any possible injuries.

So as an early prediction, I think the Flames will make the playoffs (barring any big injuries) which is all i've wanted the past 3 years.
But see the beauty of a locked out season is that we don't tank and we still have a good chance at a top 5 pick

Old
01-06-2013, 07:02 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
But see the beauty of a locked out season is that we don't tank and we still have a good chance at a top 5 pick
Except you know, none of us actually get to watch the sport we are all involved in this for. Kind of defeats the purpose. I'd rather have no picks than miss a season.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Except you know, none of us actually get to watch the sport we are all involved in this for. Kind of defeats the purpose. I'd rather have no picks than miss a season.
Exactly. I know we've been prospect starved in recent years and a top-5 pick would look good, but let's not lose focus on what's really important.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Cervenka actually has a blood clot and not an infection. Hopefully its dealt with quickly.

The Flames still are predominantly a vet team and many of our key guys weren't playing any hockey. Iggy AND Tangs are not known for being quick starters, Cammy has had injury trouble and is unproven at center. We definitely have the potential to make some noise, but I think the Flames may be in tough to make the playoffs.

I think the Oilers are gonna get off to a hot start, and I predict the Nucks will start slow also and will be battling for 7-8th spot come playoff time.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Cervenka actually has a blood clot and not an infection. Hopefully its dealt with quickly.

The Flames still are predominantly a vet team and many of our key guys weren't playing any hockey. Iggy AND Tangs are not known for being quick starters, Cammy has had injury trouble and is unproven at center. We definitely have the potential to make some noise, but I think the Flames may be in tough to make the playoffs.

I think the Oilers are gonna get off to a hot start, and I predict the Nucks will start slow also and will be battling for 7-8th spot come playoff time.
I could see it if they can't get a number 2 center for Luo since Kesler is out with no time table to return.

I think we either finish top 5 in the west or bottom 5 in the league, it all depends if we start slow like we have the last few years or if we are in January form that we are usually in when we are one of the top teams but can't make up the ground from our slow start. If Cervenka is injured it could be a huge chance for either Stajan or Backlund to step up and secure a top 6 spot and a place on this roster going forward.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Flamesfan13

There's gonna be teams that shouldn't make the playoffs (ie. Oilers) and there are going to be teams that don't make the playoffs that should (ie. Red wings). I think the flames are one of those teams that will hit a big winning streak that will allow us to get in

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
There's gonna be teams that shouldn't make the playoffs (ie. Oilers) and there are going to be teams that don't make the playoffs that should (ie. Red wings). I think the flames are one of those teams that will hit a big winning streak that will allow us to get in
Honestly, and this is just a gut feeling but I feel the opposite, I can see us coming out really flat footed. Heres to hoping I am wrong.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

We are going to lose our first game if it's against the Oilers, they will come out hot. It'll be a repeat of the 2010 season opener in Edmonton, still haven't forgotten that one.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
tfong

Quote:
Right, but I mean we've lost 50% of the season and survived, losing the other half won't really be as big of a deal to me anymore.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Flamesfan13

As a flames fan, all i hope this season is for some consistency even if it means losing =p

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Right, but I mean we've lost 50% of the season and survived, losing the other half won't really be as big of a deal to me anymore.
Speak for yourself, if we lost a whole season I would feel vastly different about even being involved next year and I think a lot of people feel the same.

Losing a whole year has much larger implications than a half season.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
tfong

Quote:
Speak for yourself, if we lost a whole season I would feel vastly different about even being involved next year and I think a lot of people feel the same.

Losing a whole year has much larger implications than a half season.
Maybe I've just become desensitized then lol.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Maybe I've just become desensitized then lol.
Teach me your secrets lol. Somehow, I still care.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

All in all, I just don't see the Flames doing well this season. I want to make myself think that they will do fine, but they're notorious for slow starts; Iginla and Kipper especially.

I have the Flames in 13th place in the Western Conference.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

The Flames likely won't make it, but a 5 game winning streak somewhere along the way can make that happen.

This shortened season is going to be some of the most intense hockey we as fans have ever seen.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote