HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Six players who will be ready for season

Old
01-06-2013, 03:55 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
Is anyone of the school of thought that players who didn't play during the lockout but instead just rested and worked out might be more fresh and therefore have better energy and performance down the stretch?
I think it will depend on each individual player. The players playing in Europe weren't playing such a rough and grinding schedule as they would have in the NHL and therefore they are not nearly as worn down as you think.

For instance the game in the Czech league was less aggressive than it is in the NHL and someone like Jagr returns healthier than he was at any point last season. He also returns in game shape. He doesn't have to play himself into shape. He will have a head start over someone who has been inactive. They only play about 2 games a week in the Czech league with only 8-10 games played a month. Far less grinding than the NHL schedule.

Maybe where the players who have rested might have the advantage is down the stretch but that is yet to be determined.

A few changes were made to all teams last season and I think it will take sometime for many players to develop chemistry with their linemates and teammates as the training scheduled will be condensed with possibly no pre-season games planned.

I say that guys like Tavares, Jagr, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Backstrom and Karlsson will come out of the gate flying. It wouldn't surprise that all 8 players I named end up in the top 10 scoring with possibly Crosby and Seguin added to the list.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:59 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Nope. Resting does not do anything after certain point and I think that playing will keep you better conditioned than just working out which you can do while playing.
Thank you. This is why I think Crosby won't be nearly as good as let's say Malkin will be this year.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Human
cynic

Jagr? seriously?

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Lion

vCash: 50
Kovalchuk - Malkin - Eberle

Karlsson - Schultz

Varlamov

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Kovalchuk - Malkin - Eberle

Karlsson - Schultz

Varlamov
You being a homer bud? I think you're right. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the Calder.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I think Crosby hits 80 points in 48 games. In 50 games he might touch 90.
There is absolutely zero chance of that happening. Crosby isn't even the best player on his team, let alone the best in the league. No player will put up those numbers.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:12 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
Jagr? seriously?
So his 55 Pts in 33 Czech Extraliga games (played on the smaller NHL size rinks) means nothing to you?

So because he's old, his production overseas means nothing but someone like Tavares or even Karlsson who played in leagues a tad bit below the level of hockey in the Czech Republic and played well, are ready?

Jagr dominated overseas at a level only Malkin dominated at so far this year (and Malkin is wildly regarded as the best player in the world). He's seriously in the best shape he has been in since his first season in New York. Malkin also played with Mozyakin who put up similar points to Malkin while Jagr led his team in goals, assists and points despite playing with Plekanec. Guys like Krejci and Hemsky who are both great players and are a decade younger than Jagr couldn't put up the points Jagr did in the Czech Extraliga.

Dallas will look to him to play big minutes and lead their offense and powerplay as opposed to playing a secondary role in Philly and he will surprise a lot of people in North America. Of course the NHL game is different but give credit where credit is due. Jagr has been flat out dominant in the Czech league, there is no other way to describe his play there.

Check out this video and tell me if he doesn't look impressive despite his age and despite the fact that it wasn't the NHL?

Last edited by livewell68: 01-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
There is absolutely zero chance of that happening. Crosby isn't even the best player on his team, let alone the best in the league. No player will put up those numbers.
Yes he is.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
Yes he is.
Let's see, the player that won the Art Ross (for the 2nd time last year) and also won the Hart and Lindsay trophies played on the Penguins and his name is not Crosby.

Malkin has 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Calder, 2 Art Ross trophies, 1 Hart and 1 Lindsay/ Pearson while Crosby has but 1 Art Ross, 1 Hart, 1 Pearson/ Lindsay, no Calder, no Conn Smythe and 1 Rocket Richard despite playing 8 more games than the guy that trailed him by just 1 goal for the award.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Reynaldo28

Paul Bissonnette, 21 points in 11 games. He's got it.

Reynaldo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Yes he is.
I guess you haven't heard of this guy named Evgeni Malkin. Google him. You'll learn something.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
So his 55 Pts in 33 Czech Extraliga games (played on the smaller NHL size rinks) means nothing to you?

So because he's old, his production overseas means nothing but someone like Tavares or even Karlsson who played in leagues a tad bit below the level of hockey in the Czech Republic and played well, are ready?

Jagr dominated overseas at a level only Malkin dominated at so far this year (and Malkin is wildly regarded as the best player in the world). He's seriously in the best shape he has been in since his first season in New York. Malkin also played with Mozyakin who put up similar points to Malkin while Jagr led his team in goals, assists and points despite playing with Plekanec. Guys like Krejci and Hemsky who are both great players and are a decade younger than Jagr couldn't put up the points Jagr did in the Czech Extraliga.

Dallas will look to him to play big minutes and lead their offense and powerplay as opposed to playing a secondary role in Philly and he will surprise a lot of people in North America. Of course the NHL game is different but give credit where credit is due. Jagr has been flat out dominant in the Czech league, there is no other way to describe his play there.

Check out this video and tell me if he doesn't look impressive despite his age and despite the fact that it wasn't the NHL?

you're nickname is livewell68 and Jagr is 40. you need to relax. Jagr is a nice player but at this stage in his career that is all. you can't put him in with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, or the Sedins right now. he doesn't belong in this discussion.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
UGkid

Forwards:

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos

Offensive Defenseman:

Byfuglien
Pietrangelo

Goalie:
Rask (its is time to shine)

UGkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:41 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
you're nickname is livewell68 and Jagr is 40. you need to relax. Jagr is a nice player but at this stage in his career that is all. you can't put him in with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, or the Sedins right now. he doesn't belong in this discussion.
Did you look at the video clip?

Being ready for the season has nothing to do with how well the rest of the players are. Jagr will be ready more than Crosby will.

Crosby hasn't played a significant game in months while Jagr has been doing the opposite and doing it in dominant fashion.

I think you'll be surprised, I will leave it at that.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:

Being ready for the season has nothing to do with how well the rest of the players are. Jagr will be ready more than Crosby will.

Crosby hasn't played a significant game in months while Jagr has been doing the opposite and doing it in dominant fashion.

Sorry but Jagr is too old.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:

yeah, I guess our definitions of ready are different. Crosby will eat Jagr alive pointwise and in terms of actual impact over their respective teams this season...

Old
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
crosby 434 games played 609 points, 223 goals.
malkin 427 games played 527 points, 208 goals.

those stats are a pretty telling don't yeah think?

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
crosby 434 games played 609 points, 223 goals.
malkin 427 games played 527 points, 208 goals.

those stats are a pretty telling don't yeah think?
Which one is NOW a better player, does those stats tell you that?

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Yes he is.
That's debatable. Malkin is a freak too. Both are outstanding though, no knock on Sid wen you might be neck and neck with Evgeni Malkin.

Lundy was great in the charity game and looks like he'll be in mid season form. JT has been great in Switzerland, maybe it's a homer pick but he's in great form now as well. Kovalchuk and Ovie have been playing so i bet theyre pretty solid from the drop. Schultz has been ripping up the AHL, but he IS a rookie, so who knows how he adjusts. I'm guessing Karlson is ready to show his Norris wasn't a fluke.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Sasso09

Lol at all of the people claiming Malkin is better than Crosby

Sasso09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Lol at all of the people claiming Malkin is better than Crosby
seriously

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
If operation hat trick was any indication, Lundqvist is going to defend his Vezina quite well.
What's operation hat trick?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Thesensation19

Any 3 fwds?
Malkin- Crosby- Giroux... is Giroux hurt? If not him than Nash or Ilya Kovulchuk.

If you want positions
LW- Ilya Kovulchuk is the safest bet. He posted over 1ppg in Russia and will be ready to lead the Devils

C- Evgeni Malkin- Or should I say Yvegni... The guy is a stud in Russia and his work ethic continues to improve. With Crosby back, and star powered line up around him it will only help him!

RW- Tyler Seguin- Continues to improve. A bottom 6 or top 6 player whose already won a cup and the hearts of everyone in Boston.

These 3 guys all have been playing in Europe and that will help them get started in NHL

Defense...

I believe
Ryan McDonagh will be a true shocker this season. Look at his #s and tell me hes not impressive. He played well in Russia and I think mixing that style into his game will improve it. Hate to leave off Karlsson but think McDonagh will be a dark horse for the Norris.

Zdeno Chara- Always ready to go. No Doubt About it.

Goalie-
I respect Quick a whole lot but I have known Henrik Lundqvist for some time now and hes never let us down once. I think Hank comes out ready to play IMMEDIATELY and this rest and short season will be good for the Rangers in the playoffs

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Crabapple

Eberle-Crosby-Seguin
Schultz-Pietrangelo
Varlamov

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
The Nuge