Notices

Thomas is d.o.n.e.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Over the volcano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Wonder how many "Bring back Tim" threads are going to pop up this year after a bad game or two from Tuuk, or injury or something...

I love this post ... Sums it up in three sentences... Perfection.
Haha I went back and put in another- so much for perfection. Seriously, the guy deserves nothing but thanks from anyone who pulls for the bruins.

Over the volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
DaStinger
Permanent Interim

vCash: 477
Send a message via MSN to DaStinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
Quick question: Why hasn't he gone through the retirement process if that's the goal?

I will say I'm flabbergasted by the general perception here. Only in sports can not honoring a contract be seen as a good, even noble thing due to his past success.
Remember how all this drew out, going away quietly wasn't his goal, he wanted to use his contract as some sort of leverage point to voice his displeasure with an election result.

DaStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
BergyMeister
Sunburnt In Tampa

Quote:
Quick question: Why hasn't he gone through the retirement process if that's the goal?

I will say I'm flabbergasted by the general perception here. Only in sports can not honoring a contract be seen as a good, even noble thing due to his past success.
If he officially retires the B's have to pay him and take his cap hit. He's actually being a class act by not retiring.

BergyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Well, that's too bad. Like many, I am not aligned with his politics but so what, doesn't matter.

1) On a pure hockey basis, it is not optimal for the Bruins to not have a healthy and committed Tim Thomas. They would be better with him in the fold, as a starter or to push and back up Rask. Barring that, using him as a trade chip.

2) It's a shame he is going out this way, not letting the Boston fans send him off with deserved appreciation for being great here and helping to win a Cup (understatement).

At least his status seems to be clear and that's better than it being a muddle mess as the season starts up.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:

I'm with you.

I'm grateful to Tim for everything he's done for the Bruins over the years and he's the greatest goaltender I've ever seen in my life, but his decision is quite selfish and not worthy of any type of praise.

I really hope they can buy him out and get rid of his cap hit.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStinger View Post
Remember how all this drew out, going away quietly wasn't his goal, he wanted to use his contract as some sort of leverage point to voice his displeasure with an election result.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. IIRC, the initial assumption was that he was holding out because he was angry that there were constant rumblings of a trade/dump despite his success. Then, rumor had it being a personal/family issue.

My point is that there's a retirement process built into the league. If his goal is to retire, why not actually retire? What does he have to gain by being in a holdout?

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kate08

Quote:
....he did?

I'm pretty sure he made the decision to sit out months before the election happened.

You're entitled to think whatever you want, but don't make **** up.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Haha I went back and put in another- so much for perfection. Seriously, the guy deserves nothing but thanks from anyone who pulls for the bruins.
Amen.

Ungrateful bastids.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
If he officially retires the B's have to pay him and take his cap hit. He's actually being a class act by not retiring.
Isn't there a cap hit either way?

I mean, hey, if the Bruins can avoid it with him technically holding out, cool. But my understanding is that the hit is unavoidable.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. IIRC, the initial assumption was that he was holding out because he was angry that there were constant rumblings of a trade/dump despite his success. Then, rumor had it being a personal/family issue.

My point is that there's a retirement process built into the league. If his goal is to retire, why not actually retire? What does he have to gain by being in a holdout?
Maybe just take him at his word? He didnt say he wanted to retire, just that he's content with his family life in Colorado right now.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah he will still count against the cap either way. But if he doesn't show up they can suspend him and not owe him any "real" money.

And the compliance buyouts kick in next year....Thomas is a free agent after this year....

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Concessionaire
The devil you know.

vCash: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
And the compliance buyouts kick in next year....Thomas is a free agent after this year....
Aha. Thanks for the clarification.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
DaStinger
Permanent Interim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
....he did?

I'm pretty sure he made the decision to sit out months before the election happened.

You're entitled to think whatever you want, but don't make **** up.
Really, it started with some sort of political mumblings on twitter, I dont know specifics because I dont care about meaningless politics.

Fast forward, bruins win the cup, yay!.

Bruins get invited to white house, Thomas decides to alienate his team and not attend. This leads to much press, in the playoffs, when the bruins face.. yes Was. The Bruins lose as the media storm regarding Thomas selfish acts (these are the types of things teamplayers are taught NOT to do).

After the loss and the ensuing media fallout TT states that hockey isnt important to him anymore.

To me its clearly an act of trying to use stature and position to open up some whole political can of worms. He got beat in the end and quit.

I see nothing in this but cries of "Im selfish"

Not to mention the people who wish they could play a sport like this every day and cant for whatever reason (poor savvy), and some people think they can take this for granted and use their professionalism/contract for personal endeavors. You signed a contract, be a man and see it through.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Circumstances. Is honoring a contract worth maybe losing a family? If those rumors are true? Hes not using it as a ploy for another deal or to get traded. Why such a beef?

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
This is one of the nuttiest things I've ever read here. And I read them all.

He did not officially retire because it left an option open as well as still allowed him to try for Olympics next year.

But your original statements are about as close to real as unicorns and the boogeyman for Cripes sake.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Isn't there a cap hit either way?

I mean, hey, if the Bruins can avoid it with him technically holding out, cool. But my understanding is that the hit is unavoidable.
There is only one out. He decides he will play for somebody else and a trade/salary dump can be worked out. Of course that was per old CBA and we really don't know what new CBA says yet.

Old
Over the volcano

Quote:
Really, it started with some sort of political mumblings on twitter, I dont know specifics because I dont care about meaningless politics.

Bruins get invited to white house, Thomas decides to alienate his team and not attend. This leads to much press, in the playoffs, when the bruins face.. yes Was. The Bruins lose as the media storm regarding Thomas selfish acts (these are the types of things teamplayers are taught NOT to do).

After the loss and the ensuing media fallout TT states that hockey isnt important to him anymore.

To me its clearly an act of trying to use stature and position to open up some whole political can of worms. He got beat in the end and quit.

Not to mention the people who wish they could play a sport like this every day and cant for whatever reason (poor savvy), and some people think they can take this for granted and use their professionalism/contract for personal endeavors. You signed a contract, be a man and see it through.
You're way down the rabbit hole.

Old
DaStinger
Permanent Interim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
This is one of the nuttiest things I've ever read here. And I read them all.

He did not officially retire because it left an option open as well as still allowed him to try for Olympics next year.

But your original statements are about as close to real as unicorns and the boogeyman for Cripes sake.
So bailing on the team and still wishing to attend the Olympics is a class act in your eyes? That makes it even worse in my opinion, what a selfish sack of $%$#.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

To quote Mattie Ross, "Who knows what's in a man's heart?"

You're assuming you know what happened with Thomas and what he's thinking. Since he hasn't confided to anyone in the media, nobody but his friends and relatives KNOWS anything.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Good Lord lighten up Francis. The last paragraph is great folly. Thomas worked harder then most to get where he got and pretty sure he didn't take anything for granted.

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PetePeeters

Wish you all the best Tim and I will always be thankful for what you did for the Bruins in all these
years and especially in 2011.
But on the other side all that counts is the logo.Players come,players go......
I just changed my username from Pete Peeters for other reasons and i wanted to stay with a goalie.
And there are reasons why i went with Moog and not with Thomas.

PetePeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
LyndonByers

I would not be surprised if Thomas is just leveraging for a contract extention with a team that trades for him.

If some team comes calling the Bruins and are granted permission to speak with him he can play the "well I am happy at home in Colorado but are you willing to give me an extention" to make it worth it card? Would not surprise me in the least.

LyndonByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Kate08

Quote:

Regardless of whether or not I think Thomas should be playing for the Bruins this year, I think this is the most deranged and delusional account of the Thomas saga that I've ever read. Congratulations.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
So bailing on the team and still wishing to attend the Olympics is a class act in your eyes? That makes it even worse in my opinion, what a selfish sack of $%$#.
Pulling stuff out of your ass and making stuff up about somebody and stating it as fact is classy? And then judging classy?

Man, you need some help.

The dude didn't want to play anymore. Said he wanted to be with his family.so far has stuck to that. I'm ok with that. I'm also grateful for what he did while he was here.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
DaStinger
Permanent Interim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Pulling stuff out of your ass and making stuff up about somebody and stating it as fact is classy? And then judging classy?

Man, you need some help.

The dude didn't want to play anymore. Said he wanted to be with his family.so far has stuck to that. I'm ok with that. I'm also grateful for what he did while he was here.
They are right, no matter what board, fanboys, be fanboys.