HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

vCash: 500
Could there be an Offersheet headed his way ?

Old
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
- The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million.
Tagging would be that the team can't exceed next year's upper limit in cap commitments, however... i.e. $60M. And the Habs are already committed at $60.1M next year (give or take $1M or so, if you exclude say Leblanc on 2-way from the latest CapGeek summary).

Maybe they will just suspend tagging in the new CBA, or get rid of it entirely. Or maybe they'll just apply it against the $64.3M number they're going to let teams spend to. If they keep it but apply it against the $64.3M number, at least it puts an upper limit on what the Habs can offer Subban.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'd say that trading him for a good package would be a step backward for the coming season but if we consiider the Habs' depth in D prospects it might turn out well in the long run.
Perhaps.

It's pretty contingent on most of our D prospects meeting or exceeding their potential at that point though. I don't see a single prospect in our pool having the potential to outright be better than Markov or Subban. Beaulieu has an outside chance, but other than that it'll require PK-like development curve from some of the other prospects in order for this scenario to reach reality.

We'd require a top flight forward in return for a PK-based trade to even start to make sense.

*edit* Just saw you edited your post and mentioned Jones. If this scenario were to unfold, and we could get a 1st line FWD for Subban while drafting Jones... Then I'm all for that. It just makes sense.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Perhaps.

It's pretty contingent on most of our D prospects meeting or exceeding their potential at that point though. I don't see a single prospect in our pool having the potential to outright be better than Markov or Subban. Beaulieu has an outside chance, but other than that it'll require PK-like development curve from some of the other prospects in order for this scenario to reach reality.

We'd require a top flight forward in return for a PK-based trade to even start to make sense.
I would like to see us add a young winger like Bobby Ryan and get one of their prospects in return. That would be an excellent deal.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Could there be an Offersheet headed his way ?
I'm going to guess "No". We don't have any hints yet on new RFA rules or compensation or anything like that, but I doubt teams are going to start spending big external money right now, or start stabbing eachother in the back after 4 months of nominally fighting against the players instead of amongst themselves.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I would like to see us add a young winger like Bobby Ryan and get one of their prospects in return. That would be an excellent deal.
If we can get Bobby Ryan, I do that deal.

It's contingent on the Habs having a shot at drafting a stud defenseman this year though. Either Jones or Pulock.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This is Bergevin's first year, and he's a rookie. The smart approach is to stay calm and transition well. Gomez isn't a problem unless we need cap, and it doesn't seem like we'll need some this year. He also only has an extra year left. People are fast to jump on buying out Gomez, heck, they've been hoping for this for at least 2 years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomez play out whatever's left of his contract here.
He seems like a great guy to have around seeing how nobody ever said a bad word about him, so if he settles into a lower role, he might just stick around.
Of course, him being bought out wouldn't surprise me either.

Bergevin needs to sign PK asap, and for a good price.

Barring a massive development in the next 6-7 months Gomez is definitely getting bought out or traded. It's the only logical way to get comfortably under the cap and have some options next summer. I'm sure Bergevin and Molson are hoping he bounces back so they can trade him and don't have to buy him out...but I'm sure they have already resigned themselves to the fact that it's almost a done deal.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Tagging would be that the team can't exceed next year's upper limit in cap commitments, however... i.e. $60M. And the Habs are already committed at $60.1M next year (give or take $1M or so, if you exclude say Leblanc on 2-way from the latest CapGeek summary).

Maybe they will just suspend tagging in the new CBA, or get rid of it entirely. Or maybe they'll just apply it against the $64.3M number they're going to let teams spend to. If they keep it but apply it against the $64.3M number, at least it puts an upper limit on what the Habs can offer Subban.
I would be surprised if they don't allow teams to spend above the 64.3 next year until this summer given the 2 Amnesty Buyouts.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
deandebean

As soon as Tuesday comes and they sign the agreement, you will see some movement. I don't think Montreal is playoff-bound with this lineup.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I would be surprised if they don't allow teams to spend above the 64.3 next year until this summer given the 2 Amnesty Buyouts.
Me too. Although actually, it would almost be handy for us if they did say the tagging limit is $64.3M. Then Bergevin can flat out say to PK that we have "this much" cap space left, and not a penny more, be that $4M, $5.3M, whatever, and it boxes in any sky-reaching the PK camp might contemplate. It would screw us big time if the tagging limit was $60M. It's most likely of all that it's just off the table for this season and not a factor at all. I guess we'll find out shortly-ish.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
As soon as Tuesday comes and they sign the agreement, you will see some movement. I don't think Montreal is playoff-bound with this lineup.
unless everything goes montreal's way (couple break out players, some comeback players, and a healthy markov), and things just click, there is little chance for them when you look at line-ups in the east.

Who knows though, maybe eller will break out and markov turns emelin into komi 2.0.

Anything with this team could happen really...

Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Would not trade PK at this point unless we know we cannot come to an agreement on a deal that is fair to both the team and PK. If anything I would be looking at trading Markov, if we are not in contention come trade deadline. PK has the skills to be a #1 for the next 10 years.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Me too. Although actually, it would almost be handy for us if they did say the tagging limit is $64.3M. Then Bergevin can flat out say to PK that we have "this much" cap space left, and not a penny more, be that $4M, $5.3M, whatever, and it boxes in any sky-reaching the PK camp might contemplate. It would screw us big time if the tagging limit was $60M. It's most likely of all that it's just off the table for this season and not a factor at all. I guess we'll find out shortly-ish.
Then PK can sign a 1 year deal and maybe cash in after a good year.

I think it's to the Habs advantage to sign him for 4-5 years even at a 5 mil cap hit...in 2-3 years he'll be needing 6.5-7 mil to sign like Doughty's last deal.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Would not trade PK at this point unless we know we cannot come to an agreement on a deal that is fair to both the team and PK. If anything I would be looking at trading Markov, if we are not in contention come trade deadline. PK has the skills to be a #1 for the next 10 years.
It would make no sense to move Markov now, he probably has little trade value. With a good season his value would multiply by 10. Same for Kaberle and Bourque.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:56 PM
GoHabsGo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Short season. Anything can happen. Toronto could make it.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If we can get Bobby Ryan, I do that deal.

It's contingent on the Habs having a shot at drafting a stud defenseman this year though. Either Jones or Pulock.
I wouldnt mind getzlaf, beauchemin a1st for subban, leblanc and a 2nd round. either

Galchenyuk - Getzlaf - Gionta

G-Unit is back.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
I wouldnt mind getzlaf, beauchemin a1st for subban, leblanc and a 2nd round. either
I wouldn't do that, Getzlaf is a UFA July 1st.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
It would make no sense to move Markov now, he probably has little trade value. With a good season his value would multiply by 10. Same for Kaberle and Bourque.
If we are not in contention at trade deadline, trade Markov, Kaberle, Bourque, Gomez, Gionta etc... not now though, the games have not started yet.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Montreal Impact FC

Quote:
Sign him first subban isnt signed either.

For 7 years... obviously lol.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
habfan1968

Quote:

Beauchemin pretty well sucks too

Old
01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Montreal Impact FC

Quote:
Beauchemin pretty well sucks too
Lol maybe so but just made up this offer in few seconds without thinking too much lol. Losing Peekay would be disastrous for our team our defense sucks big time already.. Markov has to show me he is anywhere near his past level of play before i see any hope of playoffs.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If we are not in contention at trade deadline, trade Markov, Kaberle, Bourque, Gomez, Gionta etc... not now though, the games have not started yet.
That will be a bridge to cross at that point. We'll have about 10 weeks of hockey to reevaluate the guys taht struggled last yaer or are upcoming UFA's.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Sign him first subban isnt signed either.

For 7 years... obviously lol.
Subban is a RFA and under control for 3 or 4 more years. Getzlav can just walk for free in July. Not the same thing at all.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Craig71

Lets not consider even the thought of trading PK Subban. He is our own drafted very talented player, a guy we would be crying for if he played for 29 other teams. He will only get better, especially with a hopefully healthy Markov. He is not the problem, he is part of the soloution. Give the guy a 5 year deal at 3 million per.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Lets not consider even the thought of trading PK Subban. He is our own drafted very talented player, a guy we would be crying for if he played for 29 other teams. He will only get better, especially with a hopefully healthy Markov. He is not the problem, he is part of the soloution. Give the guy a 5 year deal at 3 million per.
"Give" him a 5-year deal at 3 million per? Wow, that's more like TAKE $2M (at least) out of his pocket every year for the next 5. Anyway, it seems (from internet discussion forum hearsay! best source!) that it's going to be a short term bridge deal, and we'll just have to forego speculating on the next big deal until after we cross the bridge.

Closed Thread